What's new

My girlfriend's cab... need suggestions!!

Thanks for for that man. Definitely going to look into those! Do you have an idea how much the DrylinW's run?
well theyr a lil pricey the drylin T at 30" long with a lock is going to run around $115. the shorter you go the cheaper it gets obviously. for me its real handy as far as setting the height of the light plus it looks clean. just 1 of many options that you could try.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I didn't read the whole thread sorry, but my immediate idea is to rip the centre wall out and use the whole lot for flower, and use your pc as a mum cab etc. Team effort and you'll both win out. I do love PLLs as hella said but if you can fit hps in the flower room, then I would go with that personally.

Keep it real.....istik!

realistik

I like the 70w HPS idea.. so would I use a 70w metal halide for vegging.. and a 70w hps bulb for the flowering cab? and do I have to buy a mh conversion bulb if I end up buying one of those Home Depot fixtures and ripping them apart? I'm planning to make two cooltubes w/ reflectors that can be raised up and down by a pulley or something similar..

Anyone had good results with 70w mh for veg?

M

mrred

this is a 100w mh

59260124-2462_IMG.JPG

i think 70hps and mh can use the same ballast without changeing anything, i dont think 70hps has a ignitor or its built into the bulb, so you could just put in a 70w mh and it should work

S

silent_lemon

id hang two "clip on" aluminum reflector home depot style work lights on one side with 2 of the 40watt 150 equivalent watt bulbs. Theyre 15$canadian here, which isnt much for a socket/reflector and cord. I use 2 of them over 40 vegging 3.5" pots for my veg chamber, roughly a bit bigger(which is even better for this/her unit because youll have more lumens per sq foot over what i have which is a few inches wider WxL so fewer lums)
picture.php

passive intake in the veg side, i would use a 2" holesaw and punch 2 holes at a time, until you have dialed in the amount of pressure is ideal for quickly, efficiently relieving the air within the cab. ive found TOO MANY big holes for passive intake ruins the principle behind having a passive intake, and that's negative pressure. With very restrictive passive intake, computer style axial fans really struggle, they just cant move the air(especially against a scrubber) with that much neg pressure, there's not enough suction from those spinning fan blade only style fans, now a mixvent or cagefan or something would work better, but theyre louder on the whole ive read/experienced.

drill and devise your own light trap, abs works great, bent pipes, home made baffles like those in a car muffler work well

i wouldnt put passive intake on both sides in this case im thinking of though..simply because there isnt exhaust on both sides because it'll be much easier to exhaust the air through a communal scrubber, rather than exhausts apart from one another. So 2 axial fans or some sort of space saving fan high up on the backside of the cabinet, in the flowering side, because you want the most suction pushing hardest where there is the smell, so that you can get it all scrubbed, because activated carbon really works...

youll want a light tight transfer for air between the veg and flower sides. id recommend a hole, with various bends...following parallel to the dividing wall, turning through the wall and bending another 90 degrees to follow the dividing wall works pretty well, even two pipes that meet in the middle, then divide back up on the other side of the wall to form 2 spouts would be pretty fantastic, though ive never tried this. still would be 100% light tight.

then that leaves you with light for flowering, dont know what you are leaning towards, it really doesnt matter, if it's aircooled, then that would change my ideas, but non aircooled, id say 2 axial fans up high on the back, with pipes behind that connect back up to ONE carbon scrubber, a CAN filter would work. I say 2 separate fans so you can get the most push for the square inch of fan realestate in the cabinet, then you can create a junction and a sole scrubber perforated strapped to the back of the cabinet and you would be stealthed until you look behind it...

realistik

picture.php

- 70w MH on left for veg, HPS on the right for flowering
- Passive intake vents
- Cooltube for each bulb, with ducting attached to each.. coming together into a Y adapter in the middle that is then attached to the 120mm exhaust (possibly 133 CFM)
- 120mm exhaust, Y adapter attached, ducting going to each cab, will be used as light trap as well
- Walls covered in mylar

Definitely not everything... but rough draft of the design.. input?

S

silent_lemon

that looks good, but i dont like that part in the middle that you have to touch the dividing wall. it's perfectly light tight right now, i assume; im really a big advocate for KISS..

i propose you give each cooltube its own fan, and join both exhausts at the back for a total scrub of all exhausted air at once. sure passive intakes on both sides, but keep that dividing wall the way it is! or come up with solid plans before you hack it:p white paint works good for reflectivity, and you dont have to pussy foot around with reverse gift wrapping your cabinet..crinkles, rips, staples, tape...or...paint everything. everything made easier

realistik

that looks good, but i dont like that part in the middle that you have to touch the dividing wall. it's perfectly light tight right now, i assume; im really a big advocate for KISS..

i propose you give each cooltube its own fan, and join both exhausts at the back for a total scrub of all exhausted air at once. sure passive intakes on both sides, but keep that dividing wall the way it is! or come up with solid plans before you hack it:p white paint works good for reflectivity, and you dont have to pussy foot around with reverse gift wrapping your cabinet..crinkles, rips, staples, tape...or...paint everything. everything made easier

Lemon you've been really helpful.. definitely have me thinking about things!!

I agree with you on not touching the divider.. that would have been stupid.. lol. I just wanted to keep things symmetrical. Oh well.. So do you think I need two fans for exhaust for each cool tube.. and a regular exhaust in each cab, or no?

I'm trying to figure out what type of carbon scrubber I'm going to use.. if it's something I'm going to try and put most of inside the case, or if I'm going to mount it on the back.. guess it just depends on what I have room for..

realistik

I am considering just painting the inside flat white now.. seems a lot easier to deal with.. does anyone else recommend this versus mylar? I just like the way mylar and other reflective materials look.. lol. I think I would like the white paint though.

S

silent_lemon

you wont have space inside the cabinet for the scrubber. a guy on here(sorry the name escapes me at hte moment) built a really fancy dresser with a rear faux door that velcros on with a scrubber mounted internally, squirrel caged fan, the whole 9 yards, well he probably spent time and money on that cabinet, one more than other, doesnt matter, the fact is you can spend an hour building a cabinet with the same basics or 200 hours, and theyre still the same at the end. light in a box.

i know a breed/clique of grower that SCOFFS at stealth grows, i dont get it personally, but it's a type of person that cant get over the micromanagement and ingenuity of these grows. it's weird and sad at the same time...anyways off that tangent...

mount the scrubber on the back with perforated strapping, both pipes feed into a Y into the scrubber, a short one, a foot or 2 long x 4 inch opening would suffice in size and adequacy. i say on the back, because theyre pretty big to start with, which is poor for you, but good in the sense that it will simply last longer as it's more than enough, and will therefore last(we would hope)

people are going to bitch and whine about expensive AC scrubbers, i paid $80canadian for mine, it's 3 feet long with a 4" opening, i havent smelled anything with it on, i figure ill buy another when i do, and it's going on a year old now, constant air passing through it, 24/7.
i do not like chance for failure very much, so i did not try the home made carbon scrubber...however there are a bunch of brands of odor suppressing sleeves and scrubbers out there to choose from, i have a heavy one.

there is absolutely no need for symmetry here...function over form!

even start with a simple standard, and improve upon it.. like my initial posting, cant go wrong with 40w CFLs, theyre bright as ever(i challenge you to work close to them, FRICKEN day stars in your cabinet!)(drbud uses them...interjected!) and cheaper...however, i will not push my petty CFL biased views on you, i simply like simplicity, because more often than naught, it works.

one fan per cooltube would be fine, i still dont like pc fans, i bought 2 top notch ones for one of my cabinets, nice and quiet, but im sorry, still cant hold a candle to any real fan; but they are what works best for most small situations..they are most viable

TLoft13

Ever since I built my PC grow box.. my girlfriend has dealt with my obsession...

Also we're interested in being able to raise and lower the lighting according to the plants.. versus raising/lowering the plants..

Fire away..

realistik

To give you a proper answer i need the EXACT measurements. Mail me your girlfriend per express delivery and I'll take the necessary measurements myself. :yeahthats