What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Current Grow - 10 Varieties

holyshit im growing blueberry again and i have the same pheno as the last, the best fruity smell ever! Soooooo resinous and delicious I want to eat it. MMMCANDY

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The Muffin Man...

The Muffin Man...

Actually, scratch what I posted earlier - I just had a breakfast spliff of this blueberry, and I'm toasted.

Or should that be 'muffined'...? :)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Tomorrow, tomorrow.

I was planning to do some tonight, but me and a friend had to pollenate seven out of the ten plants, and it took a while, what with the precautionary measures required! We did two branches on each plant with two different Flo males, which are detailed in the thread in my sig below. I did take a few pics, which I'll include tomorrow.

I've seeded some clones of most strains a few weeks ago, though not all with both pollens (partly why I did this tonight) and they're nearly ready, but that was more of a test than for actual seed production - if I get 50 per clone I'll be lucky. But it worked, which is the main thing. This time, I realised I'll need a lot of seeds - I may have to close down the grows over the summer, at least indoors, and it would mean giving up any mother plants, clones etc.

So I figured - make seeds of everything, and the strains I can't replace, make sure they go to good homes that I can get new clones from for backcrossing down the line, etc. But if I'm going to learn breeding, I can't think of a better way than no clones, and a case of seeds from 20 crosses of my favourite varieties so far...:)

As for the grow itself, still looking wild. I'm still pissed off that there a few spider mites kicking around - nothing much, just a few nibbles on a few leaves, and hardly an infestation, but I hate things like that. They're just small enough for one more Neem spray, but I'm reluctant after that. The buds are developing rapidly now.

As for the chemical situation - I gave them the first injection of PK 13/14 last night, and will continue that for the next week or so. They're drinking a lot now - up to a litre a day, and the pots aren't big enough to overdo it. So I'm alternating between Terra Flores / Cannazym / Boost / PK13/14, and then plain water with a small amount of Rhizotonic on alternate days. After a week I'll see how the buds have improved, and decide how far to take them.

The only complication in all this is the Malawi Gold - it's only just starting to bud, and won't be ready for ten weeks or so. This needs more of a mixed nute regime, so I'm still giving this a tiny bit of veg nutes, and holding off on the PK 13/14 for a while. But that one is going to be spectacular - as long as I can keep the height down, it's will finish a monster...:)

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Pollenation Situation...

Pollenation Situation...

Me and a friend got down to business last night photographing seven of my hot ladies in a steamy, no-holds-barred session with my two Flo studs.

Positively XXX-rated...no minors please...:yummy:

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering Update - Day 30 of 14/10, Day 22 of 12/12...

Flowering Update - Day 30 of 14/10, Day 22 of 12/12...

Still looking tree-mendous down in the engine-room...

The temps have dropped again outside now, so it's running nicely. After pollenating the plants on Friday, I'm waiting to see some pistils shrivelling. Not much yet, but I noticed this last time I did it on the clones - when cut with flour, the pollen seems to take a lot longer to work its way down the pistil. I guess it's got a lot of other grains of crap to get past! I was worried last time I'd screwed up my pollen in the freezer, but all those seeds are fattening up nicely now, so I didn't. I'm not panicking yet - I always expect instant results, and have no patience...:)

My only real grumble (and there has to be at least ONE grumble), is that the Jamaican hasn't stretched half as much as I expected it to - in fact, it's shorter than I wanted it! The clones I flowered under fluoros literally quadrupled in height - this has maybe put on 33% since I switched to flowering. It's not a real problem - the buds are growing nicely, but I wanted some longer colas with this one - they're all a bit cramped at the moment. That said, it's an incredibly fast-flowering strain, whatever the hell it is, and it's covered in resin already - way more than any of the other strains.

Not all have stretched to be honest - I'm watching the Malawi Gold very closely. I can manage maybe six more inches on this one. After that, if it keeps going, I'll have to start bending branches. Whatever, this specimen is going to be spectacular, and produce way, way more than last time... :yummy:

ThaiPhoon

WOW. Nice looking stuff going on here Elevator Man! I love the look of the droopy sativas! The droopiness resembles one of the "Thai" plants I have!

Peace

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It's working well where it is in the room - I have it mid-way between the two lamps, so it's getting pretty much light from every angle, rather than just on top - it's keeping it nice and bushy and reducing the stretch as much as possible. It's about a metre tall now, and very bushy.

I'm hoping after this week it will stop any more vertical growth and start filling out. I really don't want to bend this one if I can avoid it - it looks so beautiful as it is...:)

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Elevator Man I see you've been a busy boy! 10 varieties and bangin um at the same time.....isn't it fun? I just love to see someone having that much fun. I'm watching like a kid with a Playboy magazine, Dr. Duck.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Doobieduck - Well, it's beats watching TV, that's for sure...:)

To be honest, I don't think I could do a single-strain grow anymore - this is WAY more fun! I just keep thinking of my brain desperately trying to build up tolerance to a strain before - WHAM! - here comes another one, totally different again...:)

But I'm having no problems so far with 'compatibility' - the only thing I have to keep remembering this week is not to add PK 13/14 to the Malawi Gold nutrients, as it's way behind everything else, and won't need that for another six weeks or so (I'm going for the full 15 weeks again, of course!), so I just have to pull out a couple of litres for that before I keep going. I'll only use PK 13/14 for this week anyway - I gather it's best not to overdo it? If anyone's had no problems feeding it longer and getting a higher yield, now the time to yell out?!!

The Flos, NL X BB, Mystery Strain and probably the Jamaican should all be done in 3-4 weeks. The G13 and Skunk 'B' will be the week after I think. That will free up half the growroom, so I can move the Malawi and the two remaining skunks under one lamp, and then bring in all the other stuff - my purple Flo #2, the selected female Flo F2s, the Skunk X Flo and Malawi Gold X Flo test plants, the 'Chumboldt' (Cheese X Yumboldt)...oh, and there's a bunch of Black Domina F2s just at the seedling stage...and a couple of landrace Thais...jesus....it's going to be interesting...:)

After that, hopefully around end of May, I'm wrapping up for a while. Anything rare that I haven't flowered, (maybe the Thais - not sure), will have go to the more responsible friends I know for them to look after. I'll have to get rid of most of my strains, but I'll have crosses of everything and can always get clones from said friends again, so I can begin my own series of strains after that. I'll need some rest (from growing) over the summer, and my business should be getting busy, so I'll need to trim it down a little. This grow should provide me with enough to get through till Christmas I hope, even at my rates of consumption!

Although I may get pleasantly surprised the way things are going. I've been trying to calculate yields - the last Malawi from seed had around six main tops at harvest with lots of small buds everywhere, and produced about 2.5 ounces. This plant is a good foot taller already now, has over 30 main tops, and hardly any small branches at all. Each main top is around 18-24 inches long. So that works out at...quite a lot, actually... :chin:

Hey man, awesome looking grow you got going there!

I'm interested to see how your flo's turn out (don't see too many people growing em). Did you say those are DP's? I grew some DP flo seeds for my first grow back in 2003. Love that stuff!! I just grow for a personal stash, so I haven't grown since then and have saved 5 seeds, which are now on their way to becoming some more sweet buds.

Which pheno do you prefer? I got two definitely different phenos as well. If I remember right I liked the taste of the purple (more perfumey). The highs were both great. I remember the first smoke - Felt like my hair was standing straight up :yoinks:

I didn't nute them very heavily, but am going to try more this time around. Any tips you can give on how much? I think I've read that they don't like too much.

Keep up the good work!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for the comments - and yes, they are DP. I got four good phenos which I haven't been able to let go of, which are documented around the site - check my gallery - there's tons of pics! I honestly can't decide to keep one - they're all so good, that I'm making F2 seeds of each one with two males, just so I can kepe these going forever...:)

I got three purple ones, of which the oldest, #3, is in the main grow now - that's a very sativa-spear pheno and is floral/berry/vanilla, with a hint of spiciness/cedar.

#2 is a dark bitter chocolate/coffee/earthy flavour , and is much more indica-looking with very perfect, chubby leaves. Same stimulant high though.

#1 is no more sadly, as my last clone died -that one was a pronounced blackcurrant and liquorice flavour, bizarrely. That was structurally similar to #3, but chunkier buds. I did make F2 seeds of this one and I'm growing some of those out now to flower in a few weeks.

And the the green one, which is more fruity/hashy/spicy in smell and taste, and a touch more narcotic, but not much. This one has been the heaviest yielder to date.

I'm having no problems with nutes this time around - they're getting the same as everything else, at around 1.7 EC currently. However, I've realised in the past I've been giving them the wrong nutes, not too much - I had all sorts of problems with this purple one, but not any more! She's matching the green one for bud growth and size, which means I could have a few ounces of quality purple in a few weeks!

MMMMhhhhmmm My mouth is watering! Got 3 girls from the 5 beans, hope to have some similar variety! So you feed with every other watering during veg and flower? I was kinda confused from your description on page 1.

Here's my purple from the first go. Low temps helped out the color quite a bit I think.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Wow - that's beautiful. I would guess that's closest to my #1 or #2 - the #3 is very tall, and spear-like - like bullrushes...unless that one is too...:)

And yes, I feed every other watering, though I add the Rhizotonic to the plain water rather than the nutes - apparently it works much better in low EC conditions,and the shop guy recommendd that rather than dumping it in with the nutes. Seems to have worked - I have visible roots in the pot bottom, whereas before it was rare to see them. The true test will be when I cut these rootballs open after harvest, and then I'll know for sure...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The mites are OK to be honest - they're around, but not what I'd call a problem really. One or two strains have them worse than others - the Jamaican for example, is completely untouched. Also they've all had multiple neem sprays since they were tiny clones, and the HALO too, so I think, given what it could be like given the plant density, that the plants are actually resisting them to a certain degree. The fast-finishers are a bit too dense and budded to spray again now, so I'll just have to wing it till the end. I'm going to spray the Malawi Gold on Monday, as that's much more 'open' and sparse, and I can totally drench that one without spoiling the buds.

One other thing I'm noticing is that the same fast-finishers are getting very yellow shade leaves at the bottom of the plant - a touch early I thought, but probably OK. I'm following the Canna nute regime to the letter, and up till now, it's paid off, so I think I should just relax on that one. All the bud leaves are intensely green, and I'm expecting some major surges now.

The two Flos are going to be amazing if they carry on like this - for the first time ever, the purple one is matching the green one all the way, and where it would normally have shrivelled shade leaves and skinny buds, is expanding like I've never seen. Again, it's proper Canna nutes, and far more care and attention to root development that's paid off here - everything else is identical to usual.

I cannot wait for this one...just three more weeks to go. "C'maaaan..."

Maybe if I freeze myself...the wait will seem...instaneous...can anyone help me freeze myself...? :chin:

Hey, that's a great idea! Careful tho, or you'll end up in the 25th century fighting otters...

I'm seriously interested in that rhizotonic now that I've seen your grow.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
"Science H Logic - what a jerk!" :)

I think the Rhizotonic may be the missing link for me - I was always disappointed to see how shitty my roots were in soil, compared to the mass of solid white I would pull out in hydro. This time I prepared the soil much better, and gave them a lot more time to veg - or rather, grow roots! The pots aren't as big as some I used on previous grows, but the plants are much bigger.

Also - and I'm beginning to feel quite proud of this one - inducing flowering at 14/10 has really paid off - they're much bigger and fatter than before, and the buds are developing at the same rate and time that they would under 12/12 - except they got two hours more of light per day for ten days at the crucial time. Apart from the Malawi, they all began flowering under 14/10, so I see no reason to abandon this technique from now on...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering Update - Day 41 of 14/10, Day 33 of 12/12...

Flowering Update - Day 41 of 14/10, Day 33 of 12/12...

Well - been a few days since I updated this thread, and it's all looking pretty good so far. The spider-mites were getting a little too cosy with my Mystery Strain and NL X BB (they both have very low resistance), so I gave them both another neem spray the other day - I was a little worried it might screw up the buds, but no problems really. A few pistils have withered, but that's about it. And notably fewer mites. The other plants are OK - one skunk has them slightly too, but they're not really getting hold. The Jamaican is untouched, and the Flos, Malawi Gold and G13 are resisting like titans - I think I'll be OK now.

The Flos look closest to finishing right now, but the green one is usually 56 days, the purple one 52, so we'll see if the 14/10 trigger-period has affected the flower time. If they go longer I don't mind, but it'll be a good indication of how viable this technique is in future.

As for yield overall - difficult to tell, but it could be good this time. The plants don't have any small bottom buds, so trimming should be easy, though long - I don't mind though, as they should all start maturing a few days apart from each other. So I can chop one, hang it for a couple of days, chop the next one, etc. I should be chopping for about three weeks, and then a wait for the last skunk and Malawi Gold. Of course, I'll have some new stuff coming in before they've finished...:)

The Malawi Gold has just about stopped stretching at around four feet - maybe a little more. This has more than 25 main stems now, most around 2 feet long. That's some big colas - could get a lot from this one... :chin:

Skunks:

G13/NLXBB and Malawi Gold:

Green Flo and G13:

Purple Flo:

Jamaican:

Latest posts

Latest posts