What's new

Mushrooms with my marijuana

C

chefro420

Anyone ever tried companion planting mushrooms with their plants? Elm oysters and wine caps are great for companion planting. They have been shown to increase yield , maybe bigger buds too? WOuld be really easy and cheap to try. Probally would work best outdoors though.

E

Err

Wouldnt ever. Why risk it? If anything, i'd do super small, super segregated plantings and use clone only. A) You catch a contam... game over. B) You have a male, you risk seed or lose the mushies... tho that one is solvable with just cutting the plant not pulling it; but then your risking rot which would invite contam which takes you back to problem A no?

C

chefro420

what do you think the myco inoculents are? Im going to try next grow. I have cultures of a native wine cap and elm oyster , will cost me $1 to try it out

E

Err

BTW, got links or anything to where you've seen this increase in yield and such?

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I would like to know this as it seems oysters can oretty much grow on any medium it seems. I would love to be able to grow oysters along with my buds. This would make for a nice harvest in my mind. I could care less if it increases my yield or not, i just want some edibles!

DARC MIND

Veteran
ive had unexpected volunteer mushies grow out of my soil with plants already growing. this happened when i used mushroom compost, the plant grew great but no real difference between the plants with mushies and the ones with out (same soil, age and strain)..dont know what kind of shrooms they were but they looked like happy ones any way that soil mix did kick ass

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
ive had unexpected volunteer mushies grow out of my soil with plants already growing. this happened when i used mushroom compost, the plant grew great but no real difference between the plants with mushies and the ones with out (same soil, age and strain)..dont know what kind of shrooms they were but they looked like happy ones any way that soil mix did kick ass

I've also had mushies grow out also from my spent mushie cakes. However i want to know about companion planting the two to enjoy the benefits of both Not only that but it would be a good symbiotic relationship for respiration if it truly did work. i just like the idea of harvesting mushrooms and buds. its like dinner and a movie, except dinner and a j...

S

secondtry

what do you think the myco inoculents are?

They are not mushroom forming fungi. They are AM fungi, usually with some ectomycorrhizal fungi and even (stupidly) it can include Trichoderma spp. The RH in most grows is not high enough to support strong mushroom growth.

HTH

C

chefro420

They are not mushroom forming fungi. They are AM fungi, usually with some ectomycorrhizal fungi and even (stupidly) it can include Trichoderma spp. The RH in most grows is not high enough to support strong mushroom growth.

HTH

I know the myco innoculent do not form fruit bodies, but its still fungus. not looking to grow mushrooms per say , i want to use their mycelium to break down organics in soil . Paul stammets has a great book that has results from comanion planying with elm oyster and wine caps, its mycelium running.

mad librettist

Veteran
this seems like a smart idea to me.

And keeping the upper layer moist seems to encourage roots to grow up in my grow.

I do it by spraying though, and it doesn't seem like enough to keep fruiting body shrooms.

C

chefro420

i have some mushrooms fruiting in a normal room during winter , prob 40% or less. Also under all the leaves and branches , near the soil the humidity is higher. The point is to use the mushroom mycelium to benefit the plants , not to grow mushrooms per se.

mad librettist

Veteran
sweet!

hey, if you use mulch, that seems like all you need. good point.

as I'm sure you know, fungi will lower pH. I imagine if you go too far fungal you could wind up with something more fit for hydrangeas.

S

secondtry

Ah, I thought you wanted to grow mushrooms. One other point is generally those kinds of fungi 'eat' the media, AM fungi do not, nor to ecto' (I think). There is much microscopic fungi in the soil food web (not referring to AM fungi), that is the kind we should try to encourage. Not that trying to do what you want isn't a good thing, but to me it's kinda misguided...

For fungi add good compost, etc. HTH

C

chefro420

There are published studies that state wine caps and elm oysters increase plant vigor and crop production. Wine caps have been used for hundreds of years by farmers to increase yield.

mad librettist

Veteran
There are published studies that state wine caps and elm oysters increase plant vigor and crop production. Wine caps have been used for hundreds of years by farmers to increase yield.

probably they spent time observing the ecosystem instead of stuck in a book!

C

chefro420

Who's stuck in a book? I grew all those mushrooms in the pix, and have grown wine caps with my veggies.......

C

chefro420

I was stuck in lots of books and web pages to learn how to do it all. Hopefully will be staring a small business in the coming weeks selling to local restaurants and farmers markets,

Latest posts

Latest posts