What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mulanje from Malawi

Tangwena

Veteran
Oh well the best laid plans of mice and men the cola came down today at 8 weeks.
I have only got a small pc fan for air movement in the grow box. I have a big ass extract fan that changes the air but not much to move it around.
I have been checking the cola for PM every day and today saw the first sign so I cut it down before it spread.
It is ready so no problem but I would have liked another week to mature the resin.
I only lost 2 small buds near the top of the cola so nothing bad.

img_0490-web.jpg
img_0494-web.jpg
img_0496-web.jpg
img_0498-web.jpg

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Are all those plants left now Mulanje x (Ethiopian x Malawi) or do you still have a pure Mulanje left?
Looking fantastic btw.

Also, are you now sweating buds without compressing them or will they be compressed into a cob following the jar treatment?
:gday:

Tangwena

Veteran
Are all those plants left now Mulanje x (Ethiopian x Malawi) or do you still have a pure Mulanje left?
Looking fantastic btw.

Also, are you now sweating buds without compressing them or will they be compressed into a cob following the jar treatment?
:gday:

Hi my friend the one remaining plant at the front is Mulanje just a slightly taller pheno.
I get two main pheno's the one I just harvested which is the fastest with a large central cola and robust lowers and the more taller Christmas tree shaped one that goes a couple of weeks longer.
The two plants at the back are both Malawi/Ethiopian pollinated with Mulanje pollen and are 2 weeks behind the front two as they were planted 2 weeks after the front two.
This is what they looked like last night after the lights went off.
I moved the right hand front plant so it is centered under the front LED it should bulk up fast now.

img_0517-web.jpg
img_0514-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
I just finished cobbing the plant I harvested 3 days ago.
The buds I sweated on their own I included in a skinless canary cob at one end to be cured together so I can see the difference if any that they make.
This batch I am not sweating they will cure slowly over 6 months as my ambient temps are 10 to 20c it being winter here.
The low slow cures are the most terpy and I have a whole previous harvest of Mulanje to chew through that is now aged 12 months plus so there is no rush on my part ha ha.
These can take their sweet time.
The other 3 plants will all most likely yield a lot more so I'm going to have a LOT of cobs ha ha.
Life doesn't get much better than this my friend. Its like laying down bottles of wine to age in a cellar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0534-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	17907441
Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0540-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	17907442
Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0534-web.jpg Views:	1 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	17907441

The bud I sweated for 6 hrs is shown next to a green bud for comparison.
The two pre sweated buds I have included in the skinless cob in the above pics they are at the very end of the cob on the right hand side.
I want to compare the taste and high once they cobs have aged.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Monday is the start of week ten for the 2nd pheno of Mulanje and looks like it will be done at the end of week 10
The calyx are starting to swell nicely and the resin is showing better by the day.
The smell is subdued compared to the shorter earlier pheno but still very sweet with a hint of lime and pepper.
Here are some pics of the lowers the more mature buds compared to the long cola.

img_0567-web.jpg
img_0569-web.jpg
img_0570-web.jpg

Next my 2nd favorite of the two Mulange x Malawi/Ethiopian plants at the back.
Very sticky with a beautiful delicate floral perfume on top of the sweet honey smell of the Mulanje.
These are starting week 8 of flower and look to be ready by week 9 or 10 to my eyes.

img_0573-web.jpg
img_0574-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Finally the Malawi Gold leaning pheno with delicate small calyx type buds.
Very similar to Swazi which I am sure came from the same gene pool in Africa.
We used to score this type of bud a lot in Zimbabwe and could be very strong if grown right.
Unfortunately I dont seem to have done it very well, but curing will bring out any power if its there.
It has good resin and looks to be ready week 9 or 10 as well currently starting week 8 on Monday.
It has a peppery smell on top of the sweet honey smell from the Mulanje which I hope has given it some of its special power.

img_0577-web.jpg
img_0578-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje in front at week 10 of flower calculated from actual start of flowering not flip.
Currently on 8/16 lighting schedule.
The plant at the front will be ready this weekend at the end of week 10 the rear crosses with Malawi/Ethiopia should go another week and be harvested at end of week 9 or 10.
I will post bud shots at harvest these pics were taken after lights out.

img_0621-web.jpg
img_0613-web.jpg
img_0611-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Last night during lights out I took the ends off the lower branches of the Mulanje it is 10 weeks actual flowering probably 12 weeks from flip but I count from the actual start of flowering as some plants can take 3 weeks or more to start flowering others 2 weeks.

First up pics of the plant before and after the hair cut.

img_0649-web.jpg
img_0653-web.jpg

Then the tops last night and this morning after trimming they are extremely sticky and smell of sweet pine, lime and honey.

img_0652-web.jpg
img_0668-web.jpg
img_0666-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Anyway I cut the rest of the Mulanje today and now the remaining two hybrids Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian have all the lights and more room to finish off.
Looking at them probably only another week or so and they will be done making it 9 weeks flowering.

img_0690-web.jpg

The main cola pictured below will be done as is canary style cured whole on the stalk.
The other buds are drying in a box I will post pics of them when I make the cobs.
Here is the main cola at 10 weeks actual flowering 12 weeks from flip 11/13 to 10/14 and finally 8/16 for the last month.

img_0681-web.jpg
img_0682-web.jpg
img_0684-web.jpg

Attachments

• img_0683-web.jpg
    img_0683-web.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Wuachuma

Thank you Tang

Its nice to see the pure Mulanje.

Last year I grew a pack of Federation's Hawiian Sativa x Mulanje.
They were the stars of the entire grow season. Unfortunately, All the females died. But I did get to use a few of the males in some breeding projects.

Thanks for your contribution of these amazing genetics. You are a legend

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank you Tang

Its nice to see the pure Mulanje.

Last year I grew a pack of Federation's Hawiian Sativa x Mulanje.
They were the stars of the entire grow season. Unfortunately, All the females died. But I did get to use a few of the males in some breeding projects.

Thanks for your contribution of these amazing genetics. You are a legend
Hardly a legend my friend but I know what I like in grass.
I have been tasting some 5 month aged Malawi Gold x Mulanje the Mulanje being the female and it has super crazy effects with a wonderful fermented pine smell and taste.
I'm going to be doing another grow of that and Mulanje the very first chance I get.
The high is super confident out of control personality change high its how I wish I felt 24/7 ha ha.

Goodherb

I have been tasting some 5 month aged Malawi Gold x Mulanje the Mulanje being the female and it has super crazy effects with a wonderful fermented pine smell and taste.
I'm going to be doing another grow of that and Mulanje the very first chance I get.
The high is super confident out of control personality change high its how I wish I felt 24/7 ha ha.
Almost invincible (metaphysic) armour.
Tangwena, from I started following this sites, it's apparent that you have an affinity towards Malawi/mulanje genotypes (Swazi, Angola, Congo's, zamal) with ethiopian having special place also. I quess africans in general.
The exception been Honduras !

Wuachuma

That's awesome
I seem to remember from the GM site back in the day that you made that cross. Sounds epic

Wuachuma

Almost invincible (metaphysic) armour.
Tangwena, from I started following this sites, it's apparent that you have an affinity towards Malawi/mulanje genotypes (Swazi, Angola, Congo's, zamal) with ethiopian having special place also. I quess africans in general.
The exception been Honduras !
I too love sub-Sahara African sativas. They have a unique high thats like coming up on LSD. A complete head/heart change that makes everything irie. Similar to Jamaican, but much more intensity, where the Jamaican is much more chill and social.
I worked with Sinai and I liked that too, but its nothing like southern Africans. The Sinai was very much like Durban - more Durban than most Durbans on the market - with a balanced chill vibe found in hashplants... it would be a good introduction to Africans for those who aren't used to intense sativas or psychedelics.

Latest posts

Latest posts