What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mulanje from Malawi

Tangwena

Veteran
Start of week 6 for the front two left and right.
The Mulanje single cola pheno on the left is going to be a fat mother and a potent one to going by the terps it smells of lemon the two dominant terps in these plants are pineapple and lemon this one is def lemon which usually produces a very clear euphoric tripping high I cant wait to cure this baby.

The one on the right is also a lemon pheno but it has a woody flowers scent I have never had this pheno before so very intrigued how this one will turn out the aromas always change and deepen as the buds fill out and swell up.

img_0353-web.jpg

index.php
img_0355-web.jpg
img_0357-web.jpg
img_0359-web.jpg

index.php

index.php

index.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Start of week 4 for the two at the back they are seeds from the Mulanje mother crossed to two different males from Aces Malawi x Ethiopian.
Both are predominantly a lime smell but with variations of the exquisite Malawi / Ethiopian delicate forest flowers that always blows me away with its delicate perfume truly outstanding.
True to the the tall Malawi Ethiopian grow style they are thin and delicate at the moment but the last ones I grew of this cross ended up with huge bushy colas that are extremely powerful euphoric and energizing in their highs when cob cured.
I had to try them again as I now know the recipe that suites them best as far as the cob cure goes a magic powerful high.
I am having to train the tops as they are tall plants this is enabling the lower branches to take off big time. It doesn't look like it now but come harvest at 12 weeks there will be masses of buds if they are anything like my last grow of these seeds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0365-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	17892572
Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0364-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	17892573

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0365-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	17892572

Attachments

• img_0359-web.jpg
    img_0359-web.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 32

Tangwena

Veteran
Start of week 7 of flower for the front two. 11 weeks from seed on 10/14 the whole way.
I turned on the UV on the the panel over the front two hopefully they dont fry like the the last grow in summer with the Pan/Honduras when we had a week over 40c and the blumats jammed ha ha.
Top temps at the moment are a high of 25c in the box and 14c minimum. Hardly ideal I prefer the high 30's but it is winter after all.

The most advanced flowering is the plant on the left its just starting its second reflowering.
Once the calyx start swelling its going to need help standing up I'm sure.

img_0397-web.jpg
img_2177-web.jpg
img_0381-web.jpg
img_2178-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
The plants at the back are 2 weeks behind the front plants at start of week 5 of flowering 9 weeks from seed.
The plant on the left has a smell similar to the plant in front of it on the left crazy lemon/lime a smell I know well in these plants from my last grow.
I am looking forward to curing this one as I got the last grow spot on in the cure I thought and this one I will do the same and try and bring out that crazy speed freak high again.
The plant on the right smells more floral like the Malawi/Ethiopian father and crossed to Mulanje the skies the limit in the development of the high so another I am looking forward to curing.
i just love the aromas of the canary style buds after a year of aging real caviar in my eyes.
Both these plants produce massive colas and buds given the chance.

img_0398-web.jpg
img_0391-web.jpg
img_0390-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
I got some pics of the most advanced plant before lights on its very sticky and oily and smells strongly of musk and lime.
The 2 plants at the rear of the cabinet get 10 hrs light the two at the front, this is the plant on the left get 8 hrs of UV enhanced light with extra red.
This is start of week 7 of flower for this plant 11 weeks from seed.

img_2191-web.jpg
img_2190-web.jpg
img_2189-web.jpg
img_2188-web.jpg
img_2187-web.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your plants are growing so healthy and look beautiful! I hope you don't mind, if I ask you, what are you growing in, and what kind of soil? Is that a grow box or are you in containers? I can't seem to see what you are using, but I love the way your plants are so pretty!😎

Tangwena

Veteran
Your plants are growing so healthy and look beautiful! I hope you don't mind, if I ask you, what are you growing in, and what kind of soil? Is that a grow box or are you in containers? I can't seem to see what you are using, but I love the way your plants are so pretty!😎

Thank you my friend the plants are growing in a mix of coco and and white river sand the coco is what is sold as coco with big bits of coconut husks in really just chunks of unground coconut husks.
I am using canna coco 2 part nutes at a mix of 1.4 EC with seaweed root stimulator added PK at 10ml per 10ltr of nutes and canna bloom which is a resin enhancer.
Because they are sativas the total EC of nutes is no higher than 1.6EC

I have 2 x 240 watt LED panels at 3000k with added red and UV that can be switched off. I only switch the UV and red on at 7 weeks flower.
I have limited height of only 1 mtr so the plants are in rectangular plastic tubs 2 per tub, the tubs are 16ltr and measure 600 x 300 x 150mm deep providing a low flat profile again to reduce height.
The plants are watered on demand by blumat drippers fed from an elevated reservoir of 60ltrs

Its all enclosed in a box 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.2m in an attic space so limited headroom.

Its pretty simple and works well I can leave it for extended periods once the plants have stopped stretching.
When they get too high like the two at the back I just bend the tops over and tie them down so they fit in the 1mtr height restriction.
I keep what would be very tall sativas short by starting them on 10/14 from day one of germination reducing to 8/16 by end of flower.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Man that is so cool, thank you so much for sharing your Sativa growing skills with us. About how much time does it take for a grow from start to finish, and lastly, what kind of water are you using?😎

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Man that is so cool, thank you so much for sharing your Sativa growing skills with us. About how much time does it take for a grow from start to finish, and lastly, what kind of water are you using?😎

Hi my friend glad to help I use tap water with a ph of 7 and an EC of 8 so you need to subtract the 8 from the total EC of 1.6 so you can see a very light feed.
I do not change the ph they get it straight from the tap as it comes.
These seeds were germed the first and third week of May and I anticipate harvesting 2nd week to 4th week of August depending on their maturity.
The two later starters at the back will be the last to harvest.
So thats 4 months to 4.5 months start to finish.
If I used a longer light schedule say 12/12 they could go an extra month or two easily.
I got this idea to shorten drastically the lights on after observing seeds I planted outdoors in the Aussie winter reaching maturity very fast on very low sunlight hours and thought it would work indoors.
So far so good.

Tangwena

Veteran
Start of week 8 for the single cola Mulanje pheno the lowers are starting to swell looking like I might be able to harvest the lowers by end of week 10 and the main buds by week 12.
The other Mulanje is probably a couple of weeks longer though its not as advanced.
Heres a pic of the main cola and some lowers.

img_0430-web.jpg
img_0427-web.jpg
img_0425-web.jpg
img_0421-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
And some pics of the Mulanje crossed to Aces Malawi/Ethiopian looking and smelling like the Malawi/Ethiopian it is my favorite of the two I made with this cross.
It is starting week 7 on Monday its going to be a killer mixed with the circus clowns that come with the Mulanje.

img_0463-web.jpg
img_0461-web.jpg
img_0458-web.jpg

Thcvhunter

Veteran
The Mulanje is a bit chunkier than I expected

Any floral or berry smells?
Any suspicion that there may be Blueberry in there?

Tangwena

Veteran
The Mulanje is a bit chunkier than I expected

Any floral or berry smells?
Any suspicion that there may be Blueberry in there?

These particular seeds have been in my possession for 10 years from Malberry seeds originally and I have never grown any Indica or Hybrids that have a lot of Indica and certainly not Blueberry.
And the only pollen thats been near them is pure Mulanje from a good friend along with pure Malawi from the same source.
The LEDs produce chunky buds for me, outside they are greener but still chunky.
The smell is like wild honey sweet.
The other more Malawi leaning Mulanje will also get chunky by harvest in a week or two.
And the two hybrids of Aces Malawi x Ethiopia are looking great one taking after the M/E mother and the other after the Malawi Gold father.
They will also have chunky buds for a Malawi it just depends how you feed them and grow them I think.
All the Malawi and even Swazi I have grown end up fat solid huge buds I think many people dont feed them correctly. They come from poor soil in Africa with no rain towards the end of flower, so given good food they take off making the most of what they see as a good season.

I sweated a couple of buds in a vacuum jar for 6 hours at 40c and they are starting to change color nicely.
a pic of them before and after.
these were picked yesterday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0480-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	17905533
Click image for larger version  Name:	img_0480-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	17905533

Latest posts

Latest posts