What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mount Zion 2017

MountZionCollec

you mean of vegetables or of cannabis ? laws changed since last season ?

Same space as last year, It's the space that surrounds the new greenhouse I just put in in my flat garden. next year I will be done planting no later then June 21st, getting a very late start this year had a few delays.

I have been replacing the males on the hillside past few days as well. Will do same with hoophouse today.

I still have 86 seeds of Pot of gold*hindu Kush fem, 38 seeds haze #5*hazeskunk, 16 white rhino*skunk #1, 9 1991 ancestral skunk #1, 18 sleeskunk and 15 Schnaz #4.

Some of the POG*hindu Kush fems will go to replacing males on the hillside, but most will go into the flat.

My flat garden can fit 160 plants, with 4' spacing in 4' spaced rows.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70991&pictureid=1762714&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70991&pictureid=1762715&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70991&pictureid=1762716&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70991&pictureid=1762717&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

117 square foot redwood greenhouse. Material used was 5mm thick Solex which is supposed to have the same R value as 16mm polycarbonate. I Will be growing my mothers in the ground. I need to decide on what type of lights to use. growersupplyDOTCOM is where I have found the best options but im still looking.
why are you putting moms in the ground? are you talking about the moms for your 2018 season?

I'm trying to get my clone moms out in the sun to keep them healthy

MountZionCollec

why are you putting moms in the ground? are you talking about the moms for your 2018 season?

I'm trying to get my clone moms out in the sun to keep them healthy

Ya it's for the 2018 season. It's for keeping them alive until I can select which mothers to keep to run in 2018. I figured it would be easier to manage them in the ground.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
will the moms live in there through the winter? those look like would give enough light to interrupt the photoperiod but not enough for winter supplement to me.

MountZionCollec

will the moms live in there through the winter? those look like would give enough light to interrupt the photoperiod but not enough for winter supplement to me.

Thank you for posting. the mothers would live in there through the winter, and I guess I used the wrong terminology because I am more looking to interrupt there photoperiod then "supplement" additional lighting. By supplement I just meant to get them enough light to keep them happily in the vegetative state.

I'm off the grid so that is really the max I can use as far as energy for lights in the GH at the moment, that'll change over time. I'll be increasing my solar this winter adding more batteries, panels and an invertor but still I'll be pretty limited compared to being connected to a grid.

I would say that at my location roughly 50% or the winter days are very nice weather and very sunny, 1/4 being cloudy and 1/4 being very rough weather. I'm located above 4000' elevation so the sun is quite potent even in the winter. Also Calaveras county is more towards central California then many growing counties in the west so we get a little better angled sun in the winter. I'm not sure by how much but at least by some, and we def get more sunny days then the majority of growing regions to the north of us in northern Cali and Oregon/WA.

Now my strategy may not be a great one and it may not work for many of the mothers, but I do feel like it should work for some. I really don't have many options as this time having solar as my energy.

Snydgrow

I love the greenhouse you build will this be just for mothers? You work hard clearly keep up the good work :)

Snydgrow

LouDog420

A lovely farm you have there, thank for sharing!

Just did a greenhouse where the only lighting was for maintaining photoperiod. Larger space, but ended up similar to office light levels using 48" standard LED strip fixtures meant for many seasons of operation.

Ended up being ~.3W/SF, so with four of those, I'm sure that would be plenty, more about light distribution and canopy management making sure nothing is too shaded...

But if the greenhouse is basically just a 10' x 10', or something close, and something that may or may not be long term, it would be cheaper to just run the line and string a few sockets yourself. Could do the entire space for the cost of one of the farmtek link... Fill with whatever bulb is on sale... CFL, LED... I'd imagine one may be better than another in a solar application, but don't know anything about that...

Not sure about your capacity and what would happen if there's a week or two overcast without the ability to supplement sufficiently, but I'd try to make sure there's enough juice to at least come on a few hours in the dead of night to completely interrupt cycle...

Will be watching, and wishing you and the garden the best, looks like off to a great and happy start.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Thank you for posting. the mothers would live in there through the winter, and I guess I used the wrong terminology because I am more looking to interrupt there photoperiod then "supplement" additional lighting. By supplement I just meant to get them enough light to keep them happily in the vegetative state.

I'm off the grid so that is really the max I can use as far as energy for lights in the GH at the moment, that'll change over time. I'll be increasing my solar this winter adding more batteries, panels and an invertor but still I'll be pretty limited compared to being connected to a grid.

I would say that at my location roughly 50% or the winter days are very nice weather and very sunny, 1/4 being cloudy and 1/4 being very rough weather. I'm located above 4000' elevation so the sun is quite potent even in the winter. Also Calaveras county is more towards central California then many growing counties in the west so we get a little better angled sun in the winter. I'm not sure by how much but at least by some, and we def get more sunny days then the majority of growing regions to the north of us in northern Cali and Oregon/WA.

Now my strategy may not be a great one and it may not work for many of the mothers, but I do feel like it should work for some. I really don't have many options as this time having solar as my energy.

ah, off grid. you're living there off grid too?
a small generator not an option for you for things like a few hours of HID per day or running a washer and dryer or powertools?

how many moms will be planted in there and at what point in the year will you plant them in there?

it seems like come november when you can judge the quality of these plants you will probably want to cull a bunch of them and if they are planted in the ground the remaining plants probably won't be spaced well.

I would want them in pots until selection then up pot or plant the keepers at that point.

if they are in the ground it seems like you could really get screwed though in the event of a bad storm, wildfire or whatever.

I'd look for someone nearby you with some extra space and electric grid and barter weed, fruit and veggies for an indoor veg space for the winter in a barn or garage.
gotta be folks who are too busy to grow their own around somewhere.

hopefully you will get some good harvests and get yourself styled out there soon.:tiphat:

redlaser

Veteran
I ended up using led lights, the 48 inch kind to keep plants vegetative. Lots of tall trees close to plants and building has tall walls. Actually have had them going for a couple weeks already because they started flowering about this time last year. I turn them on from 8-830 pm, 3-30 am and 5:30-6 am. So far so good. Trying to get the job done while not being noticeable.

The LED's are forty watts, 4,000 lumens and supposed to last ten years for 45$ a piece.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Thanks, How has the solexx worked out for you? Specifically on getting enough light for plant health in the winter and keeping it warm enough for plants in the winter? What's your strategy on light to prevent flowering? Do u give them additional lighting morning and night, or do you just give them a couple hours in the middle of the night?

We actually light dep. our greenhouse, my pops built a golden arm type of deal to cover it. those golden arms are expensive, but he built a cheap sturdy one that has worked. The greenhouse is 7 years old and still working for us, it gets great light but summertimes it gets pretty warm inside. 2 big constant fans blowing during the day and we run a dehu. when its covered

MountZionCollec

We live here off the grid as well. But we have a decent solar system setup so during the day (panels-invertor+batteries)we can do basically all that we want, but at night our batteries can only store so much energy so they can only support so much during the night.

That is a good idea to just hook the lights up to the generator until I expand my solar system so they wont drain my battery at night. The small generator can power like 400 to maybe 500 Watts. though once we get certified by the state they have new rules that state cultivators cannot use generators on a consistent basis, only intermittently for emergencies :(

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/lumigrow-led-lights/led-grow-lights

This is one light I am looking at. I could def hook the 325 up to the small generator, maybe the 650 light but im not sure.

How much PAR would be necessary to supplement them with light? There is about 75 square feet of plants I will want light to cover. About 8' by 10' with a walkway down the center and around the outside. If I had the 325 watt light it gets a PAR of 32 at 8' height, with the 650 getting double that. ''

I will be planting the mothers in there after they have been rooted and then grown some more in 4" wide pots until ready to transplant. about 75 mothers will be in there. My plan is as I cull mothers I do not like, I will replace them with a double of the mothers I do like so I have a backup and all space is filled. Then I will continue to take cuttings on the mothers and I will replace the mothers with younger healthier mothers as needed.

I may decide to keep them in pots until I decide which mothers to keep before putting them in the ground, im not sure yet ill have to keep thinking about it and researching.

That is a good idea to collaborate with other people who have locations on grid. I have a few people who are interested. I will be doing this so if anyone on HERE is located close and could guarantee mothers saved for 1 year then mothers will be available depending on if something could be arranged. I have someone real close by too who might let me rent out his indoor setup because he doesnt use it over the winter, its only to get his plants going in the spring.

The plants are growing amazing, even better then last year so we expect to yield well enough to finally style out our place with the infrastructure we need.

ah, off grid. you're living there off grid too?
a small generator not an option for you for things like a few hours of HID per day or running a washer and dryer or powertools?

how many moms will be planted in there and at what point in the year will you plant them in there?

it seems like come november when you can judge the quality of these plants you will probably want to cull a bunch of them and if they are planted in the ground the remaining plants probably won't be spaced well.

I would want them in pots until selection then up pot or plant the keepers at that point.

if they are in the ground it seems like you could really get screwed though in the event of a bad storm, wildfire or whatever.

I'd look for someone nearby you with some extra space and electric grid and barter weed, fruit and veggies for an indoor veg space for the winter in a barn or garage.
gotta be folks who are too busy to grow their own around somewhere.

hopefully you will get some good harvests and get yourself styled out there soon.:tiphat:

MountZionCollec

I ended up using led lights, the 48 inch kind to keep plants vegetative. Lots of tall trees close to plants and building has tall walls. Actually have had them going for a couple weeks already because they started flowering about this time last year. I turn them on from 8-830 pm, 3-30 am and 5:30-6 am. So far so good. Trying to get the job done while not being noticeable.

The LED's are forty watts, 4,000 lumens and supposed to last ten years for 45$ a piece.

Thanks for the post, I have now been looking more at some LEDS and I found a nice one I linked in the above post that takes 325 watts and has a PAR of 32 at 8' height.

MountZionCollec

We actually light dep. our greenhouse, my pops built a golden arm type of deal to cover it. those golden arms are expensive, but he built a cheap sturdy one that has worked. The greenhouse is 7 years old and still working for us, it gets great light but summertimes it gets pretty warm inside. 2 big constant fans blowing during the day and we run a dehu. when its covered

Do you supplement with any additional lighting when you light dep or are they just on natural light?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Do you supplement with any additional lighting when you light dep or are they just on natural light?

Nope, no extra lighting. we get a good deal of sunlight. Usually do 3 cycles per season. Starting around April or so, The first and third run are the lower yielders. It doesn't get the high warm sun type of weather as the second run. And the third run we don't even bother covering/tarping, cause the natural sunlight is at 12 hours or less

MountZionCollec

I'm between getting one lumigrow 325/650 or 3 150 watt LED lights...powered off a generator until I expand my solar in January. The generator I would use is quiet and will be in a insulated shed 100' from the house and from neighbor property lines so the sound will be minimal. I am planning to triple my system this year With $6400 more in batteries, $5000 invertor upgrade, and double-triple my panels.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
This fields are very nice,also very interested to sees how grows Sams gear,

You have mountains,fresh air in night time,weed growing everywhere,looks like you found
a real paradise..

Will stay tuned..

Latest posts

Latest posts