What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mount Zion 2017

MountZionCollec

Ok what I'm planning on doing now is setting up both the 650 lumigrow for supplemental lighting on low light days to run off the generator, and then have a few 55 watt CFLs to run on sunny days just to get them 16+ hours of light.

I am also going to replace the front of the greenhouse with http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/acrylite-acrylic-panel-16mm-clear/acrylic-panels

This gets 85% light so when the sun is low in the winter the plants will get nice direct light in combo with the more diffused light from the solexx.

MountZionCollec

Above 2 pictures are of Schnazzleberry #4 (The Dom *Blockhead)

Above 3 pictures are of Sleeskunk/Resinator (Sleestack*Skunk #1)

The small plants in between the Schnaz and the sleeskunk are eitehr Haze #5*hazeskunk or Hazemexican*hazeskunk.

the bottom two rows of the hillside are mostly Schnaz #4. I have also planted the 16 white rhino*skunk #1 down there.

MountZionCollec

This is the old hoophouse. I have 46 plants in here at 4'8" spacing with 5' spaced rows.

Sleeskunk on the two inside rows, and schnazzleberry#4 on the 2 outside.

The smaller plants are Pot of gold*Hindu Kush that replaced the males.

Breeders Retail

Mr Zion,

Looking great! :)
So what was your final percentage on germinating the Ancestral Skunk1? When I looked at the last post about them you said you were waiting for a few more to break soil? Maybe I missed a post? Just hoping you get a decent amount of them going.

MountZionCollec

Mr Zion,

Looking great! :)
So what was your final percentage on germinating the Ancestral Skunk1? When I looked at the last post about them you said you were waiting for a few more to break soil? Maybe I missed a post? Just hoping you get a decent amount of them going.

So far 11 have germinated, so 10% of the pack which was about 110 seeds. I think more would have come up but I ended up needing the pots for the next batch of seeds. I would definitely germinate them in paper towel next time and then transplant into soil I think I would have gotten better germ rates.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hi MZC,

It is really cool you are growing out a range of Sam gear.

Nice looking farm and interesting genetics. I'll be watching. Have a great season!!

MountZionCollec

Im liking the idea of using 2 of the california light works 550 VEG. they only draw a max of 400 watts, and for the price of one lumigrow 650 that draws 600 watts heavy in the red range I could get 2 california light works and only end up drawing 100-200 more watts and get more equal light coverage.

I am going to do my FULL solar revamp now instead of waiting for january. I will need to get with the county to see what I need to do to have it all permitted as I expand. THen i will need to get it permitted to the greenhouse. I am going to get a solar loan to help pay for it.

gorilla ganja

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you not just using the lights to prevent flowering in the greenhouse over the winter? If so those are over kill. A string of low light bulbs will be enough to prevent flowering. Also what is the coverage on those? Enough for the whole greenhouse or are you getting several?

Everything is looking fantastic by the way.

Peace GG

MountZionCollec

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you not just using the lights to prevent flowering in the greenhouse over the winter? If so those are over kill. A string of low light bulbs will be enough to prevent flowering. Also what is the coverage on those? Enough for the whole greenhouse or are you getting several?

Everything is looking fantastic by the way.

Peace GG

Thanks for posting! Yes I am only looking to keep the plants in there veg state. Have u seen anyone keep mothers in a greenhouse all winter with just Small lights to prevent flowering and no "supplemental" lighting? I think it's possible for sure especially at my location but I just need to make sure whatever I do will work.

My original plan was to hang 55 watt CFLs above the plants to prevent flowering. I think this would def keep them happy until at least late November, but I'm worried that they may not get enough light in the deep winter when we occasionally have an entire week of dark bad weather and little sun, followed by a week of sun all day. My weather here is unpredictable in winter and spring. It can be 80 and sunny in January. Or I can get 2 months of constant rain and snow from January until March. It's that time period in particular I feel I may need to supplement.

If I go with the two California light works 550 veg I would hang them at ~ 5' above the plants. I would get two of them. The greenhouse is 10'X12'c but it's the center 8' by 10' I'll be growing in.

I'm thinking right now I am going to order the 55 watt CFLs to hang over them to keep them in Veg. Then by November or December I should have my solar upgraded that by the time they'll potentially need some supplemental I can add in the more powerfull lights.

gorilla ganja

I guess it would depend on whether you want growth or just keeping them alive and ready to be cloned in the spring. You would be surprised at the amount of light even on a cloudy day. Maybe not enough for max. growth but for sure enough to keep everything alive and well.

I'm no expert in supplemental lighting. So you will have to get advice from others on that.
I would however recommend LED bulbs rather than CFL's. At least the ones I have seen are much stronger and can take a beating compared to CFL's.

Peace GG

MountZionCollec

I guess it would depend on whether you want growth or just keeping them alive and ready to be cloned in the spring. You would be surprised at the amount of light even on a cloudy day. Maybe not enough for max. growth but for sure enough to keep everything alive and well.

I'm no expert in supplemental lighting. So you will have to get advice from others on that.
I would however recommend LED bulbs rather than CFL's. At least the ones I have seen are much stronger and can take a beating compared to CFL's.

Peace GG

thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to look into some LED light bulb options instead of CFL. What sort of spacing would u recommend on those lights?

Is this the type of LED u mean http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/s...nhouse_lighting-gs_led_lights_1;pg111130.html ?

For the mothers I'm just looking to keep them alive, they can grow super slow fine with me as long as there happy and green.

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
What will you do for heat in there when there is snow on the ground?

Lots of hay bales might be the cheapest way to insulate and windbreak around it.

A passive solar heat sink like black barrels of water would be a good start, maybe a cover with layers of something like bubble wrap to insulate if you get low temps?

Will you have some propane device ready to go in there if you need it?

gorilla ganja

I was thinking something more like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/HyperSelect-1...UTF8&qid=1500325764&sr=8-2&keywords=led+bulbs

The light cover is plastic, so hard to break. Indoor growers pop off the plastic cover and use to grow with instead of expensive LED panels. The bulbs you showed are probaly better and made specifically for growing but are expensive.

They use these to get stronger light if you want to supplement.

https://www.amazon.ca/Adjustable-Ad...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTKYPDN90RP617ZCWEFJ

Spacing for preventing flowering I have no idea. I have seen pics with just a only a bulb or 2 by each plant. Using a extension cord like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Cable...=1-20&keywords=power+cords+with+light+sockets

Hope this helps

Peace GG

MountZionCollec

What will you do for heat in there when there is snow on the ground?

Lots of hay bales might be the cheapest way to insulate and windbreak around it.

A passive solar heat sink like black barrels of water would be a good start, maybe a cover with layers of something like bubble wrap to insulate if you get low temps?

Will you have some propane device ready to go in there if you need it?

we will be putting a propane heater in there connected to a tank about 50' away. I'm not sure if I would need to get that permitted by the county I will need to ask.

the hay bales around the outside is a possibility.

The passive heat sink in the black barrels is a good idea and I think we will do that. Bubble wrap around them? That's interesting we may do that I'll have to look into it.

MountZionCollec

I was thinking something more like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/HyperSelect-1...UTF8&qid=1500325764&sr=8-2&keywords=led+bulbs

The light cover is plastic, so hard to break. Indoor growers pop off the plastic cover and use to grow with instead of expensive LED panels. The bulbs you showed are probaly better and made specifically for growing but are expensive.

They use these to get stronger light if you want to supplement.

https://www.amazon.ca/Adjustable-Ad...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTKYPDN90RP617ZCWEFJ

Spacing for preventing flowering I have no idea. I have seen pics with just a only a bulb or 2 by each plant. Using a extension cord like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Cable...=1-20&keywords=power+cords+with+light+sockets

Hope this helps

Peace GG

Thank you!