What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mount Zion 2017

MountZionCollec

Pot of Gold #2 (Pot of gold*Hindu Kush) Cultivators choice sam the skunkman

Last picture of this post and first pic of my next post is my favorite mother. I hope ill be able to keep her alive, most oily, thick nugs, nice open structure and very tolerant to mildly resistant to powdery mildew

MountZionCollec

I really do love each variety all in there own way each one of the varieties are very unique and deserves to be grown in my opinion commercially so that the average consumer can enjoy them. Certain ones do not have many commercial phenos but they are there, even in the POG just not as many.

Being a commercial grower I am extremely concerned with mildew resistance and at minimum not being susceptible to bud rot. On that front then ALL of cultivators choice offerings will provide phenos with these qualities.

The POG is the most susceptible of his varieties, but there is a range in the POG some are susceptible...some are tolerant and a few have mild resistance. But i did see at least a couple small spots on every single POG after close examination.

POG is also the most oily resin covered plant with a very unique smell. Some of the smells are very nice, but some are only ok smelling once dried.

I have seen some spots of PM on some of the Haze #5 phenos, another reason i dont think they were selected by Skunkman. They seem the second most susceptible to PM and MOLD, but they are much more towards the resistant spectrum then compared to POG.

I havent seen any mold or PM on plants or in the clone room or in the greenhouse on any of his other varieties.

the Haze #5 smell reminds me alot of how Cannabiogens destroyer smells.

IF your looking for a lemony energetic variety Cannabiogens Panama is still my hands down favorite pure sativa.

MountZionCollec

Well it's hard to accurately compare because I only had 7 Schnaz #2 and I had like 50+ females of Schaz #4. But the blockhead seems to on average have a better smell, more consistently pungent-sweet-fruity-musky smell and after smoking more consistently indica leaning affect. the Shnaz #2 seemed much more varying on terpenes different phenos had very different effects from the most narcotic smoke I've had to a non heavy hybrid effects...some of the stinkiest just had to many types of terpenes for me OR I didn't like the combos as they kind of made me feel wierd (I did not keep that extraordinarily stinky lady). Schnaz 2 had too many sativa terpenes in too many phenos for me as I was interested in a heavy narcotic indica leaning pheno.

I did find a perfect enough Schnaz 2 mother that is resistant to pm but I wished I could have selected the best amongst 50 females I would have chosen a more narcotic pheno if I could find one resistant to PM.

The buds seemed a little denser on the Shnaz 2 and bigger on the Schnaz 4.

Schnaz 4 is slightly more resistant to powdery mildew on average, while many phenos are not tolerant the variety is not susceptible to PM overall..though some phenos are quite susceptbile. Mental floss is one I would describe as being very susceptible.

Tipunch

Hey MZ whata impressive set up you have there.

How many strains do you grow this year? What are your favorite strains that you grow and why?

Thanks for sharing all these picks.

:tiphat:

Limeygreen

Veteran
How much stretch would you say the haze 5 has on average? I am now starting to wonder about it being a haze x nl selection but purely speculative, all my seedlings show wider leaves than I expected.

MountZionCollec

The Pot of Gold #2 is more suited for breeding material then it is for commercial production. Very Hindu Kush dominant with little Skunk #1 influence that can be seen. Extrnwly Oily resin covered plants def most of any variety I have ever grown. Plant growth looks extremely hindu Kush, though some have a more open structure and much less leafy I took that to be SKunk influence. This is the most susceptible to PM of Skunkmans offerings....I had somewhere around 75 females and there is literally not ONE that doesnt have at least a couple small spots of powdery mildew that can be found upon close inspection, and a good portion are beginning to build up an unacceptable amount of PM.

As a commercial grower I would have preferred to get a F1 Hindu Kush*Skunk #1 male. These did not help me out in the yield category this year. First one I harvested didnt have an amazing smell, the effect was fairly potent but didn't feel like the terpenes added to the effect, that one smelled similar to a Taskenti I grew except it was 4 pounds lower yielding and more susceptible to pm then the taskenti...but many of the other POG #2 are much more oily...much better smells...and harder thicker nugs then that first Mother I harvested so i really do expect to find some nice mothers. I currently have 12 mothers saved but im trying to grab a few more because im going to drop some of the ones I have im sure.

I am selecting for most pm resistant, most resin covered, largest buds/colas, open plant growth structure with lower amount of leaves that do not have nutrient imbalances and are towards the more vigorous end of the spectrum.

calaveras

You really seem to be doing it the right way with all your testing and trials. A superior product is bound to emerge from your efforts. Keep up the good fight Z,peace and love

MountZionCollec

How much stretch would you say the haze 5 has on average? I am now starting to wonder about it being a haze x nl selection but purely speculative, all my seedlings show wider leaves than I expected.

I wouldn't judge it too much by the leaf width the Original Haze*skunk #1 parent COULD have had wide leafs. Also the Haze #5 COULD be a Ohaze*Skunk #1 selection or breeding work which also could have thicker leaves. My guess is the Haze 5 is a selection/breeding done by someone else but with SAMs genetics. Same as with the POG#2.

The Haze 5 most of them did not have much stretch and some had literally zero stretch and were the smallest plants in the garden.

Skunkman and chimera are the most honest breeders you can find so if they say it's "Haze #5*(Original Haze*skunk #1) then that's exactly what it is......though I 100% agree with u that the Haze #5 is very unlikely to be a pure haze. The only possibility for this is someone has been working some pure haze lines in the Netherlands selecting for the earliest flowering, big buds in an indoor environment. But even then I think there is some skunk added at point

For some reason skunkman seems to not enjoy discussing his breeding work and the strains in his collection. That's surprising to me but everyone is different and I'm happy with his seeds so I'll keep buying for the short time they are available

Limeygreen

Veteran
Fair enough, I have found one turning to very thin leaves at the moment, very narrow so I am curious if it shows up as female.

Thank you for the information on the stretch, I was planning flip from rooted cutting but if very little stretch I am rethinking this now but excited because your pictures look fantastic.

Sam had told me he is retired now so discussing it may just not be worth his while at the moment, and like you I am happy to try out his seeds and see what comes of it, I believe I will enjoy what comes from it, the Mexican haze though caught my eyes after seeing yours.

MountZionCollec

You really seem to be doing it the right way with all your testing and trials. A superior product is bound to emerge from your efforts. Keep up the good fight Z,peace and love

Peace and love to you as well brother. Im deep in the wet Trenches on so many levels that all I can do at this point is keep up the good fight or be drowned by the waves of change.

I won't make any extra money this year beyond bills, fees/taxes, compliance costs, expenses and farm investments but at least I'll have enough to keep it going for another another year if I'm legally allowed to cultivate.

If they make all the proposed planning commission changes I'll need to take out a 9% cannabis mortgage loan to purchase the property next door and merge them and then even tho they'll only be 19.92 acres I hope they'll round it up and allow me to get the zone change that requires 20 acres ao I can keep growing here. I'll ask them first beforehand. If they say no I'll need to buy another property.

I just invested 20k in my solar, really not looking to need to move to another location.

oldbootz

Veteran

yea this ^^

Im especially looking to see if you can find some production plants completely immune to powdery mildew !

MountZionCollec

yea this ^^

Im especially looking to see if you can find some production plants completely immune to powdery mildew !

There are some White Rhino skunks and Sleeskunks that are damn close to being immune to powdery mildew. There is/was zero on the plant and never have seen any up to this point in the process. I'm ordering 130 white Rhino*skunk #1 and 110 white widow*Skunk #1 and 80 more sleeskunk selecting for production plants as close to immunity to pm as possible. Also ordering 100 original haze*skunk #1 as I expect to find some nice F1 combos in there that finish early enough with pm resistance

I have multiple Schnaz 4 mothers and potential mothers (still rooting) with tolerance to medium resistance to PM. My Schnaz 2 mother is mildly to moderately resistant. Zero pm I have seen on her since last harvest she was a big olant and there were a few small spots at harvest time.

I have one dolce that was the most PM and mold resistant out of 14 females, nice for production. It is tolerant to mild resistance light spots only show up in late flowering and I feel would pass tests. By tolerant I mean it doesn't need any fungicides to prevent pm in the clone room or greenhouse.

2 Panama mothers (maybe 3) high level pm resistance and one destroyer mother who was the most resistant compared to 19 other ladies and also had the most dense buds. All three can be ran commercially for a 25-50% markup. More seeds will be ordered next year of Panama which was much more resistant then destroyer.

I MAYBE found one commercial worthy pm resistant haze 5 that so far has had zero spots of pm on plant in field, clone room or greenhouse. It's my favorite mother all around, except a few others had more resin but they had other negative issues like lots of powdery mildew and zero branching, or small buds. I have another nice mother with fat ass Nugs that is tolerant, minor pm that I feel would pass a mold test. There are a couple others I have rooted or rooting that I currently don't see pm on but I germinated them later so I need a few more weeks to know for sure.

I have 2 commercial pm resistant worthy Mexican hazes for a 50% price markup if I could build the demand.

I'll need to keep them all winter and run for another year before I am confident to say something is immune, that's a big deal id be happy with high level resistance which I have many mothers now that I would describe them as that, and many others that have medium to mild resistance.

Last edited:

Tipunch

Hi MZ, is your MR Panama from CBG or Ace, is IT the 3 way Panamean or cross with Colombian ?

Thks mate, ALL the best.

Dog Star

Veteran
Excuse me MountZion,wanted to ask you about Ancestral Skunks??

You haved some plants of AS if i am not wrong..