What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motorcycle thoughts/advice

NOKUY

Veteran
im cycle shopping.

havent ridden in about 15 yrs, and i really want a rocket....tho i luv harleys and chops....they dont fit me well.

i was looking at prolly a cbr600 ish bike.

not sure if i want a honda, kawa, etc...but something like that

any advice on this ......dont wanna spend ovr 3 g's

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Go with a used FZR600 by yamaha. Plenty of cheap parts, right price range and plenty fast enough. Not as fast as the newer bikes but it will still kill you.

SweetNightmare

If you're going to get a bike might as well get a gsxr1000 or something faster... All I'm saying is if you are going to die might as well look good right?

D

DogBoy

Ducati monster 600 and a long black leather coat. Now that's class!

guest3589

I'm gonna second the FZR600, great bang for the buck. What kind of power are you looking for two or three digit HP?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Less than 3Gs sounds used and as I recall, you're not exactly in an urban center. Been a while since I played Easy Rider but, it never ceased to amaze me how many Honda shops could be found in the middle of absolute bumfuck, nowhere.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Honda just on build quality alone, any other [Jap] makes will require more maintenance.

CBR600s are really hard to kill and will do pretty much anything you want for pennies. People who know them like the steel framed 90's model best, the latest models are more track focused and not as good as road bikes. When you see how fast one of these things really can be you realise you do not need anything faster... for a long while at least !

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
i'm a big fan of the Kawasaki Ninja's and the Yamaha R6/1's
not so keen on the honda as it feels too wide and long for me
Ninja is a great bike, I've had a 636 for a few years now and love it
Oh and its fast, i've had her well over 150 and its capable of over 165mph

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My advise would be to ride carefully. There are alot of folks that don't respect the motorcycle. They pull out in front of you. Use caution to preserve your life. That said, you can likely find a decent used 600 ninja for @ 3k.

fred norris

get a 1970's cb750. classic bike,reliable,parts are cheap.

i have a 74 and a 79.much more liekly to get pulled over on a crotch rocket , than an old man mobile.

G

gdawg

a 600 is plenty fast for a first bike and may be almost too fast your first month or so. lots of near death experiences durings gdawgs first 30 days..parts do seem cheap but dang drop that bitch its gonna cost to make it look right again. and you will drop it :) i suggest the frame sliders that were recommended to me a while back i just didnt get em like a dumbass. they dont cost much i just kept hopin i wasnt gonna need em...its kinda like i know ima die one day but i dont wanna get the coffin already and have to look at it waitin on the shit to happen.

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
DO NOT BUY A HONDA BIKE!

They make the crappiest bikes of them all. Guaranteed to fall apart before your friends with the suzukis, yam, kawas.

Check some bike forums if you dont belives me.

Get the Busa! Hayabusa. Cant beat it, unless you have the dough for a ducati.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I've been thinking about an R6.. My cousin who works in hospital mostly convinced me not to get one though.

fred norris

10592_0_1_2_cb%20750%20f%201_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user..jpg

cb750cafe2.jpg

cb750.jpg

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gotta love a cafe racer. I have a 78 KZ650 I've been working on. I'm going withthe cafe style as well. So simple and sleek, they are a joy to work on. I'll be doing a fiberglass cowl but I won't be getting into the tank like the one above.

Whoever told the OP to get a haybusa, don't talk shit. The OP hasn't ridden in some time and you advise him to get one of the hardest bikes around to ride. Sorry if this was a little aggro but a haybusa for an out-of-habit rider is insanity and deathwish.

I had a late 90's honda cbr600 , absolutely terrific bike. fast enough to be a rush but nimble and dependable. Honda motorcycles are bombproof. my next door neighbour has a 25 year old c90 that's been used every day since new and it never misses a beat. Had one meself and thrashed the absolute hell out of it for a couple of years then sold it on to a mate who thrashed it, who sold it to a mate who thrashed it, etc.. saw it the other week still looking like the day i bought it. My dad had a honda superdream for years, rode all the time, never had a prob with it.. you starting to get the picture?

I was looking at bikes again recently and I would consider instead of a sports bike, a touring style bike around the 600cc mark. They're a lot easier to ride and a lot more chillaxing.

Last edited:

fred norris

my 79' cb750 was in a shed for 10 years,dirty gas in the tank mice in the air box.

changed the oil,cleaned the airbox, fresh gas ,charged battery and boom started up first try.

my dad had a dream 150 that he used for short trips intown for like 20 years.

these bikes are bulletproof, and can be had cheap. you dump your big bad rice rocket you will be out big $$$. look on craigslist , you can find whole cb750 parts bikes for 150-500$
i wouldnt trust myself on a busa, i'd try to go waaay too fast.