What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2020

gsxr97

Veteran
Good to hear you are doing all ok Schrews. Worst outdoor year I’ve had with bugs and smoke . Love your trellis , am area I’m lacking . Got 10ft ers fanning out like crazy

Looking forward to seeing how your harvest goes .

:friends:

I tried Dr. Zymes before if i recall correctly, it worked ok for PM but burnt the flowers slightly. Didn't do shit to the russets.. Nothing seems to phase them here for very long. Somebody told me they are hitching rides on all the floating ash particles from the fire, everyone i know in the area has had them this year.

Strange.

Dr. Zymes has been working great for me at wiping out russet mites. This is my first time dealing with them so I'm not sure how "major" of an infestation I had or how early I caught it. I do feel I caught them early, tho I noticed signs of them spreading through all of my plants pretty rapidly.

Though first I did use a mixture of rosemary & lavender essential oils along with some castile soap & iso alcohol all diluted into water, and I feel that helped to wipe them out initially.

But since then, for almost a month now, I've been using Dr. Zymes about every 3 to 6 days and it's definitely keeping the mites wiped out and allowing my buds to develop properly.

I haven't noticed any phytotoxic damage/burning from the Dr. Zymes and I used a pretty rich mixture of it the first couple times I applied it. I have heard from someone else tho that's mentioned they saw some burning from the stuff when they used it for PM...The mixture of oils/soap/alcohol I used before the zymes did mildly burn the leaves on a few of my plants, nothing severe tho.

This time around is my first time dealing with mites and I never want to again, I dread those bastards....Now I understand why I've read & heard about so much hatred from growers in regards to mites. They spread through all of my plants rapidly right at the beginning of flowering, I was almost devastated entirely.

I actually plan on using grandevo & venerate next year as a big part of my pest management through out the entire grow, and using the Dr. Zymes as a "knock out" if any infestation starts to happen. I've seen you mention a few times that you use both grandevo & venerate and I've had them both recommended to me from a few other folks.

Russet mites can and do travel through the wind, from what I understand that is a common way how they end up on plants .

Sounds like it's been a tough year for most in this region for various reasons, it certainly has been for me.....

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Strange.

Dr. Zymes has been working great for me at wiping out russet mites. This is my first time dealing with them so I'm not sure how "major" of an infestation I had or how early I caught it. I do feel I caught them early, tho I noticed signs of them spreading through all of my plants pretty rapidly.

Though first I did use a mixture of rosemary & lavender essential oils along with some castile soap & iso alcohol all diluted into water, and I feel that helped to wipe them out initially.

But since then, for almost a month now, I've been using Dr. Zymes about every 3 to 6 days and it's definitely keeping the mites wiped out and allowing my buds to develop properly.

I haven't noticed any phytotoxic damage/burning from the Dr. Zymes and I used a pretty rich mixture of it the first couple times I applied it. I have heard from someone else tho that's mentioned they saw some burning from the stuff when they used it for PM...The mixture of oils/soap/alcohol I used before the zymes did mildly burn the leaves on a few of my plants, nothing severe tho.

This time around is my first time dealing with mites and I never want to again, I dread those bastards....Now I understand why I've read & heard about so much hatred from growers in regards to mites. They spread through all of my plants rapidly right at the beginning of flowering, I was almost devastated entirely.

I actually plan on using grandevo & venerate next year as a big part of my pest management through out the entire grow, and using the Dr. Zymes as a "knock out" if any infestation starts to happen. I've seen you mention a few times that you use both grandevo & venerate and I've had them both recommended to me from a few other folks.

Russet mites can and do travel through the wind, from what I understand that is a common way how they end up on plants .

Sounds like it's been a tough year for most in this region for various reasons, it certainly has been for me.....

I may have been thinking of something else. I will order some Dr zymes and try it out. The venerate and grandevo seem to work for russet mites but i think they need to be sprayed often if there is an infestation. Unfortunately, once you realize you have an infestation it is often too late. We were spraying once a week since the season started, and i dont think it was enough. Their breeding cycle is only 2 days if i remember correctly, plus i think they like the heat waves we have been experiencing.

I have basically given up on eliminating russet mites completely. at this point it’s just about minimizing our losses. Our garden looks great and most people wouldnt be able to tell we have russets, but they are there and if given a chance they will quickly take over. They have taken some of the fun out of growing for me. I would do anything to get rid of those fuckers for good. well, apart from spraying nasty chemicals.

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
thanks Schrews for being real and not pretending that what you do is easy, your experience help us all and is totally invaluable to the community.
I’ve been with you since the beginning and I’ll be with you until the end.
Cheers,
P.S. good to have “Ghost Protocol” back on deck.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah or get a doughboy above ground swimming pool

Hey everyone,
thanks Schrews for being real and not pretending that what you do is easy, your experience help us all and is totally invaluable to the community.
I’ve been with you since the beginning and I’ll be with you until the end.
Cheers,
P.S. good to have “Ghost Protocol” back on deck.
I totally wish him the best... I’ve been a fan for a very long time as well:shucks:

GreenHands13

A emulsified food grade oil will kill russet mites. Plant therapy works well. Or you can emulsify your own using dr. Bronners and a oil like sunflower seed oil or soybean oil. Mixing and emulsfying takes some practice and figuring but its pretty easy. Or just buy plant therapy. I emulsify my own oil and haven't seen russet mites in a few years. You have to spray consistently but it works very well. Also you can add 10 or 15 ml or alcohol per gallon to the diluted plant therapy it could be something like 190 proof grape spirits or if you don't care about being completely organic isopropyl alcohol works fine.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Sunlight is what makes the plant metabolism work.

that part.

smoke is pretty bad here right now, out plants havent gotten proper sunlight in over a month.

ironically, we are getting solar power installed on our property this week.

A emulsified food grade oil will kill russet mites. Plant therapy works well. Or you can emulsify your own using dr. Bronners and a oil like sunflower seed oil or soybean oil. Mixing and emulsfying takes some practice and figuring but its pretty easy. Or just buy plant therapy. I emulsify my own oil and haven't seen russet mites in a few years. You have to spray consistently but it works very well. Also you can add 10 or 15 ml or alcohol per gallon to the diluted plant therapy it could be something like 190 proof grape spirits or if you don't care about being completely organic isopropyl alcohol works fine.
we are nearing harvest and i dont want to spray any of that stuff on our flowers.

the venerate / grandevo rotation seems to be working for the most part.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
that part.

smoke is pretty bad here right now, out plants havent gotten proper sunlight in over a month.

ironically, we are getting solar power installed on our property this week.

we are nearing harvest and i dont want to spray any of that stuff on our flowers.

the venerate / grandevo rotation seems to be working for the most part.

Any word on the smoke effecting the final quality of the flowers?

GreenHands13

A light emulsified oil with a small amount of alcohol leaves almost no residue the alcohol helps to evaporate the oil. The grandevo venerate combo absolutely leaves and lot more residue on the plants. Just relaying my experiences been through the russet mites thing just like everyone else. Used the shit out of grandevo, venerate, pfr 97 none of them worked well and it was nasty having to spray that stuff on flowers. The emulsified oil and alcohol mix has worked the absolute best for everything and does no damage to the plants or flowers. I spray in veg and up untill first flower set 2 to 3 times per week and haven't seen russet mites in years. Best of luck your garden looks good happy harvest season!

Bo Hasset

Damn, Greenhands. You came out of retirement, eh? I was just thinking of you while messing with a Honda genenny. Etta says, "BIG UP!".

Big up to you as well Schrews! Garden is looking like straight fuego!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
A light emulsified oil with a small amount of alcohol leaves almost no residue the alcohol helps to evaporate the oil. The grandevo venerate combo absolutely leaves and lot more residue on the plants. Just relaying my experiences been through the russet mites thing just like everyone else. Used the shit out of grandevo, venerate, pfr 97 none of them worked well and it was nasty having to spray that stuff on flowers. The emulsified oil and alcohol mix has worked the absolute best for everything and does no damage to the plants or flowers. I spray in veg and up untill first flower set 2 to 3 times per week and haven't seen russet mites in years. Best of luck your garden looks good happy harvest season!
i'm curious about this . it takes us about 30gallons of solution to spray the whole garden. how do you go about emulsifying that much oil?

seems the grandevo and venerate have been working, i've scoped a few plants and no signs of the mites right now.

Any word on the smoke effecting the final quality of the flowers?
the plants are definitely affected by the lack of sunlight, which is caused by the smoke. pest/fungus issues are worse, and i imagine it's possible that yield and potency are affected. On the other hand, the ripening buds still look and smell great, no smokey flavor if thats what you are wondering..

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
the plants are definitely affected by the lack of sunlight, which is caused by the smoke. pest/fungus issues are worse, and i imagine it's possible that yield and potency are affected. On the other hand, the ripening buds still look and smell great, no smokey flavor if thats what you are wondering..

Doesn't sound bad at all Schrews!
Good news in tough times. Sending the good vibes your way.

Montuno

...como el Son...
This is our biggest Fanta. She is the one who had an aphid infestation. In the picture you can see a bit of sulfur dust on the side of the plant.

View Image

Hola.

Don't you prefer to use neem, or even chrysanthemum pyrethrins, rather than powdered sulphur? It sticks to the resin...

Salud.

gsxr97

Veteran
Schrews you still using green broz trimming machine? Thinking of getting a used one and wondering if you had any tips on what to look for on a unit that has been taken care of. Have line on some very reasonable prices used green broz, one that is the cs something .

Also might just get a new trim bro’s ( company that knocked off Green broz , now is trim works I believe, brand new from a place in Medford. Very similar to green broz table top , but $1000 cheaper .

I have more herb than ever and less time than ever . No one I trust to help . Machine time I believe.

Attachments

• 864928C3-1539-4835-BAF1-154B9DDF0D6B.jpg
    864928C3-1539-4835-BAF1-154B9DDF0D6B.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 67
  • B9B958A6-1FA4-4FD1-BF38-2F10984F87DE.jpg
    B9B958A6-1FA4-4FD1-BF38-2F10984F87DE.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 0149177A-AB07-4210-9281-A72A89DBEBE5.jpg
    0149177A-AB07-4210-9281-A72A89DBEBE5.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 354EF2B1-FE52-4A78-B18C-FFADBDAF2ED4.jpg
    354EF2B1-FE52-4A78-B18C-FFADBDAF2ED4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 675110A7-9093-44CF-A554-FDC0E9FE8F43.jpg
    675110A7-9093-44CF-A554-FDC0E9FE8F43.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 62

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
i'm curious about this . it takes us about 30gallons of solution to spray the whole garden. how do you go about emulsifying that much oil?

seems the grandevo and venerate have been working, i've scoped a few plants and no signs of the mites right now..

You can emulsify oil easily and very well in a high speed blender like vitamex and they are real nice for making vegan cheeses and sauces. Here is what i could find on making similar to what you can buy and it looks like its just a matter of sourcing some bulk oils. Plant therapy has been good to me indoors. Plant therapy is 30mls to a gallon so if you made a gallon batch it would do you 4 or so applications.

Attachments

• 0268B840-157E-48D2-92D7-A00E3D42C419.jpg
    0268B840-157E-48D2-92D7-A00E3D42C419.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 54

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Hola.

Don't you prefer to use neem, or even chrysanthemum pyrethrins, rather than powdered sulphur? It sticks to the resin...

Salud.
I would never put sulfur on the flowers. it does just fine in veg though. That being said, i would not spray neem or pyrethrum on the flowers either. Venerate and Grandevo are the only products that are relatively safe to spray on flowers as far as i know.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

You can emulsify oil easily and very well in a high speed blender like vitamex and they are real nice for making vegan cheeses and sauces. Here is what i could find on making similar to what you can buy and it looks like its just a matter of sourcing some bulk oils. Plant therapy has been good to me indoors. Plant therapy is 30mls to a gallon so if you made a gallon batch it would do you 4 or so applications.
what do you guys think of Suff Oil X? my friend says it worked great for him. i've never used it but am curious. Also i dont think it needs to be emulsified.

Latest posts

Latest posts