What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2018

sdd420

Veteran
Its so beautiful
You lucky ......
But you are doing it right
Get in the seed game
Be happy
I wish
Lol
Peace

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
thanks everyone, all the positivity really brightened my day. We have been working hard everyday and using all of the knowledge accumulated up to this point to get us this far, and although the garden is far from perfect I am pretty damn happy with the overall state of things. There's really nothing quite like seeing what happens to a fresh young ganja plant in perfect health taking in 14hours of sunlight per day with unlimited room to grow. Our garden is flourishing and despite all of the setbacks (and there are always setbacks), I am optimistic about the fall and our harvest to come..

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Sprite growing like a perfect bush as she always does:
uXYp6PNh.jpg

Purple Sprite showing some serious vigor:
ysYnJyqh.jpg

Ancient OG f3 busting through the trellis net:
Nvsu1uKh.jpg

and the biggest one of all, the monster purple-stem Ancient OG f2:
1Rj5fXNh.jpg

IJvEiiah.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Native Soil Plot

Native Soil Plot

our native soil plot is doing even better than last year! very minimal effort here, just plants in the ground with water and sun. We do foliar feed weekly but nothing else besides that. If we invested a bit more time/energy/money then i'm sure these plants would be almost as big as the ones in mounds.

Ccc3ErZh.jpg

OQq69kAh.jpg

native garden in the back, big mound up front:
CAnAhAhh.jpg

native soil garden sunset:
FymxNiHh.jpg

WxxiAt2h.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
happy saturday! just another day in the 100degrees summer. We water and do plant inspections in the early morning, and foliar feed / root drench in evening, so as to avoid to the heat of the mid-afternoon. These days I like to sleep through the hot afternoons, or go to the lake and cool off in the water, which fits into our schedule of staying up all night playing music.

oh did i mention we made a little recording studio..
l3UTsjOh.jpg

So now thankfully most of the hard work is behind us , the next few months will just be feeding, watering, and trellising, hopefully, unless mother nature throws us another curveball. I know what to watch out for, and if anything troublesome pops up I think we are prepared to deal with it. In the meantime we're goin to the lake. cheers!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'll tell ya I'd like to see how some of those strains would do outdoors here in the Appalachia Mtns. I'd be in for a pack of Sprite....even though I prefer mt. Dew lol. Those are trees....gonna need a chainsaw come harvest time !!!!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your dog looks as tired as mine. Right on, you're on my same wavelength my friend! The lake is the best in the summer, great place to relax and see the sights. I need to get some friends together to play music again. Still practice on my own.

Plants are vigorous this year! What amazing growth. Thanks for the garden tour! Would like to be there in person. The native soil experiment shows just how strong cannabis is. You can plant it in a field like corn, tough stuff! Foliar feeding seems to be enough!

Great shots of the farm as always! Thanks! Enjoy the summer!

Just a couple months and we'll be entering harvest season! Gonna smell good!:smoke:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I'll tell ya I'd like to see how some of those strains would do outdoors here in the Appalachia Mtns. I'd be in for a pack of Sprite....even though I prefer mt. Dew lol. Those are trees....gonna need a chainsaw come harvest time !!!!

We want to make a bunch of sprite seeds for sale but it's not happening until we harvest the outdoor crop

Gonna be some big ones this year
i hope so! they already are pretty big. got a couple that stalled out though. I think it was due to overwatering, or possibly some sort of fungal infection.

Plants are vigorous this year! What amazing growth. Thanks for the garden tour! Would like to be there in person. The native soil experiment shows just how strong cannabis is. You can plant it in a field like corn, tough stuff! Foliar feeding seems to be enough!
The native soil constantly surprises me. who knew there was so much potential in this rocky red clay?! All they've gotten is a weekly foliar and some cages for support, and they are cruising along..

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Today we are pruning the big plants, This is our second round of pruning and will probably be the last time this season. Then we need to finish putting up the trellis nets and planting cover crop on the bare mounds. Then it's cruise-control until october (hopefully).. Just weekly foliar and root-drench to keep us busy.

There's a big fire nearby, tons of smoke blocking the sun. Ashes all over everything. This happens every year. I'm not too worried about my spot, it's pretty well cleared out, but i hope they get this thing under control before it gets bigger. it's about 10,000 acres right now. Last year we had one get over 100,000 acres and burned for 3 months. A firefighter died, which is a pretty big deal. rest in peace and thanks for your service!

smokey sunset shots...

Ancient OG f3:
ZjAdqK9h.jpg

Ancient OG f2:
dMkOiR8h.jpg

Sprite:
ec3ScvVh.jpg

few mounds:
5RaDxmwh.jpg

theJointedOne

Veteran
Don't hesitate to take a small shovel and dig down to see what kind of moisture your seeing at different levels on a handful of plants/mounds.

Depending on what you find you may be surprised.

Bumbatar

All this legume talking reminds me of an article I read a while back ago...
There he goes again..
Apparently a group of researchers found that a crop grown next to legumes will harvest 30% more. It could be why my plants grown in cornfields has been so much more compact/heavy than anything else I have ever grown.I tried dirt,promix,hempy,coco,rockwool,aeroponics. drain to waste,drippers,flood and drain. My deep water culture was a total disaster lol so cant say I tried that one. Maybe Im just a shitty grower LOL
Anyways nothing matched in terms of compactness/weight compared to my plants in the cornfield. I too thought that weight had something to do with genetics but I think its way more complicated than that. Maybe Shcrews can give his thoughts when the numbers comes in. Remember your 2016 harvest Shcrews when you said your plants looked bigger than the year before but the weight just wasnt there. I doubt it was a scale issue.

Maybe the plants can sense the presence of other plants through pheromones and then want to grow more vigorously and faster to compete for root and sunlight space kind of like when one woman goes on her period it will trigger all the other women around her to also go on their periods? Plant pheromones that trigger this response could be the next big cannabis growth product or even help feed people in poor countries. what was the name of that study and what conclusions did they draw from it because this is sort of like a mini eureka moment.

therevverend

Veteran
I'm amazed by your success in the native soil. I'm always telling people to at least try their native soil, I see people going broke hauling in dirt. But that California red clay, it'll bend the end of your shovel. You almost need a jackhammer to get through it.
The longer you use the native soil in the same spot the better it gets. To me it's an ongoing project, first 2 years you don't get much but after that it gets nice. After 5 it's as good or better then soil you could buy. The moisture, organic matter, and microbe action transform it.
Hope you're seed biz is a success at this point any extra income is a bonus. Now is the time before the big recreational grows come along and take out most of the home grows.
In Washington the old commercial growers have mostly given up. If they have a job doing something else. I'm feeling bad for the old guys, grown for 40 years, there's no retirement pension in the ganja industry and no jobs for them. I don't see them slinging fries at McDonald's.
I'd like to see a general growers strike, no ganja sales for 6 months. That'd shake up the market..

Last edited:

insomniac_AU

Just beautiful! :tiphat:That is my dream being able to grow outside like that.

Being Australian I know all about the dangers on fires. I hope you and your girls stay safe.

Latest posts

Latest posts