What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2018

theJointedOne

Veteran
Looking great man, Hit up byf he has been using machines for a couple years now and seems to be happy with it, he has a few shots of his in action on his ig, it might be the green broz.

I'll have to disagree with the guy who posted a few up saying a good hand trimmer can do 4-7 nice packs a day, thats just false info we all know that, no one should take that serious lol. Be happy if a trimmer can do 2-3 a days of high grade trim job quality.

When the packs were 4k, 200 a p was 5%, Now 200 a p is 20%, so no more 200, i mean its still out there, but rare.. Ive seen 100-150per be the rate for handtrim work, and hourly rates of $20-30 an hour for machine work. You still need a micro crew for machines. Fuck the Twister and everything like it, fkin sucks, so does tss, whack.

One thing to consider on the freezers is your power bill if you have them running 24/7 for weeks/months. I saw a lot of them in sohum that were running on diesel gene's round the clock..for weeks and longer..and rosin is a huge process and is demand there? I hope it works out for you.

Plants are looking good man about ready for some serious stretch action.

xet

Looking great man, Hit up byf he has been using machines for a couple years now and seems to be happy with it, he has a few shots of his in action on his ig, it might be the green broz.

I'll have to disagree with the guy who posted a few up saying a good hand trimmer can do 4-7 nice packs a day, thats just false info we all know that, no one should take that serious lol. Be happy if a trimmer can do 2-3 a days of high grade trim job quality.

When the packs were 4k, 200 a p was 5%, Now 200 a p is 20%, so no more 200, i mean its still out there, but rare.. Ive seen 100-150per be the rate for handtrim work, and hourly rates of $20-30 an hour for machine work. You still need a micro crew for machines. Fuck the Twister and everything like it, fkin sucks, so does tss, whack.

One thing to consider on the freezers is your power bill if you have them running 24/7 for weeks/months. I saw a lot of them in sohum that were running on diesel gene's round the clock..for weeks and longer..and rosin is a huge process and is demand there? I hope it works out for you.

Plants are looking good man about ready for some serious stretch action.

I should have clarified: the best hand trimmers in the industry.

I witnessed it with my own eyes with our big team harvesting 1k plants per day.

Salll good bruh you are always right

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ice hash takes a lot of labor. I got tired of doing it, plus I like smoking buds better. I may make some ice hash soon with previous years harvest to clear more room in the in-ground buckets.

Have you ever heard of guerilla dust 99% pure thc. I decided not to try it until I did more research.... How is that made?

So if you are short on space water hash and rosin can be a big savior. But to make the best it is a bit labor intensive. Here is one why. Fresh freeze, or run instantly from field to ice water hash,dry in a freeze dryer(abut 2500 bucks) and then rosin out the hash for some super light rosin. A nice rosin press is the pure pressure rosin press. Pure pressure is vary expensive but top of the line and you can put allot of hash through it. The freeze dryer keeps the hash from turning brown and intern makes the rosin a vary nice color. Harvest Right is the only freeze dryer available I think and its expensive also but not to bad in the long run.

If you need any help on techniques with any of the actual processing just let me know I am happy to help in any way I can.
P.S.
Your girls are looking great this year!

xet

If anyone else is running large trim teams please chime in.

Our team hand-trimming standards: dry trim - 448g /hour, wet trim - 1,200g /hour. Leniency with poor strains. Best trimmers do 500-800g/hour dry trim. Slower trimmers are asked to leave. The 800-1200g/day dry trim people have not the right experience and there are loads of them. When I am not grinding the clock I do 380g/hour dry trim, no crows, no leaves, no flower cuts, no extra stems. Slow hand trimmers are trouble.

calisun

If anyone else is running large trim teams please chime in.

Our team hand-trimming standards: dry trim - 448g /hour, wet trim - 1,200g /hour. Leniency with poor strains. Best trimmers do 500-800g/hour dry trim. Slower trimmers are asked to leave. The 800-1200g/day dry trim people have not the right experience and there are loads of them. When I am not grinding the clock I do 380g/hour dry trim, no crows, no leaves, no flower cuts, no extra stems. Slow hand trimmers are trouble.

hmm maybe I'm not interpreting this right but it sounds like you are saying each person on the trim crew hand trims at least a pound every hour. Best I've seen is 3 lbs in 10 hours and that was pretty impressive to me.
Is your dry herb bucked and shaken before trimmers? Or is it a assembly line?
It's a little hard for me to believe you. Sounds like BS.

cbcool

I can trim 1000 grams of larf per hour when I ride my magical trim unicorn over the green broz rainbow!

Keep doing what you do schrews, your garden is top notch as always, and thank you for sharing, your garden is always an inspiration to me, as im sure it is to many others.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
To me the industry has reached a crises point when it's too expensive to trim your buds properly. The major cost for growers isn't the fertilizers, water, and time spent growing the crop. It's in drying and processing properly. Otherwise we'd be looking at $50 or cheaper pounds at this point. You don't have to trim an apple. Recreational growers in Washington state are already freeze drying ganja. And machine weighing and bagging.
Outdoor buds are no longer profitable. If you don't convert your entire crop to extracts you're losing money. I don't see profitable small scale grows existing 2 years from now.
It's going to be mega grows that can afford to buy the equipment and produce enough numbers to make a profit. It's sad, but it's happened before in other industries. I've seen the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. And The Wild Bunch. It's not going to be pretty.
The export market is the only thing holding the price where it is. The only other thing that could help is if the state starts price controls. To protect the small scale high quality grower. I don't see a push from the public or the legislature for this sort of thing. The only angle it would work is the tax angle. As the price drops the government's profit will also drop.

fatigues

Veteran
It's going to be mega grows that can afford to buy the equipment and produce enough numbers to make a profit. It's sad, but it's happened before in other industries. I've seen the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. And The Wild Bunch. It's not going to be pretty.

The export market is the only thing holding the price where it is. The only other thing that could help is if the state starts price controls. To protect the small scale high quality grower. I don't see a push from the public or the legislature for this sort of thing. The only angle it would work is the tax angle. As the price drops the government's profit will also drop.

Legal industries don't have growers; they have farmers. Farming is not cottage scale growing, it's an industrial activity.

I would not count on exports as being the savior of anybody in the medium term. What we've seen with Canada going legal is a LOT of developing nations are being inundated with Canadian corporate cash and potential export permits for what was previously an illegal crop. And they are all too happy to change the law and do a deal with Canada.

Columbia is already approving cannabis exports for medical uses (read: extracts) - and that's going to change when Canada rec importers come calling with more bucks to be made. And those in power don't have to launder any of it. Just *sign here*.

Large corporations buying farmed weed and processing it in massive factories. And a lot of it from Juan Valdez's cousin (and we'll pay him shit for his time, too.) That's the future of outdoor weed.

And the processing. That's just *starting*. The large Cannabiz producers in Canada are ramping up post harvest processing in ways none of us have ever seen before. 1 million sq feet and heavy food and beverage process Engineers who have access to nearly unlimited capital - all protected by patents over the end result. It's Silicon Valley time up here. Someone is going to get very, very rich.

I'm at the point where I believe that the most popular form of finished cannabis product in the next two decades is something that hasn't even been invented yet. Who knows what it will be? I do know this: it ain't dried flowers in a jar - or a ziploc.

There will always be room for connoisseur weed. But it's not all that much room.

It's the dawn of a new era. And no, that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Dankwolf

My little 10 yard per potter grow . Thank screws for the insperation

My little 10 yard per potter grow . Thank screws for the insperation

picture.php
picture.php

Y'all have got me a bit depressed with the truth. Where do folks like us fit in? I still believe it's going to mature like the alcoholic market....lots of craft brews, lots of craft wines ...lots of mass produced shit. There is a market for all of it. Flowers alone may not be it,.though.

xet

hmm maybe I'm not interpreting this right but it sounds like you are saying each person on the trim crew hand trims at least a pound every hour. Best I've seen is 3 lbs in 10 hours and that was pretty impressive to me.
Is your dry herb bucked and shaken before trimmers? Or is it a assembly line?
It's a little hard for me to believe you. Sounds like BS.

The end goal is top-shelf manicured bud.

Measuring grams per hour of trimmed bud is only timed after break-down of the plant and the hand-trimmer begins to trim.

For example, picture room one with a team breaking live plants down into 16" stalks. Room two are hand-trimmers manicuring the wet-trim into finished flowers ready for dry/cure while Mr. Smith is managing extraneous tasks for both rooms (transferring ready-to-trim from R1 to R2). This room is to expect 1200-1600g/hour/person even allowing "California-cut" and using this extra flower trim for edibles or live resin.

Example two, picture room one is a team breaking down plants to then store in room 1A for dry while room 2A is trimming dried stalks from 8" in length. Precision is paramount with the trimmer maintaining responsibility over trim pile, finished buds, and stem pile. This room is to expect 448g+/hour/person.

People have left crying and confused thinking they knew something about trimming before they got there.

I realize now the standards are all over the place. These numbers are the standard. If you do not think you are capable then trim ten hours per day five days a week and after 6 months you will hit 448 a few times.

calisun

The end goal is top-shelf manicured bud.

Measuring grams per hour of trimmed bud is only timed after break-down of the plant and the hand-trimmer begins to trim.

For example, picture room one with a team breaking live plants down into 16" stalks. Room two are hand-trimmers manicuring the wet-trim into finished flowers ready for dry/cure while Mr. Smith is managing extraneous tasks for both rooms (transferring ready-to-trim from R1 to R2). This room is to expect 1200-1600g/hour/person even allowing "California-cut" and using this extra flower trim for edibles or live resin.

Example two, picture room one is a team breaking down plants to then store in room 1A for dry while room 2A is trimming dried stalks from 8" in length. Precision is paramount with the trimmer maintaining responsibility over trim pile, finished buds, and stem pile. This room is to expect 448g+/hour/person.

People have left crying and confused thinking they knew something about trimming before they got there.

I realize now the standards are all over the place. These numbers are the standard. If you do not think you are capable then trim ten hours per day five days a week and after 6 months you will hit 448 a few times.

lol your numbers are all skewed. Your first line says it begins after its all bucked. Then you got two peeps in this room and a few in this one preping ect...
There's no need to exaggerate here. Plenty of us here have way more experience than you're giving us credit for.

Shrews your garden is looking great as always. Thanks for sharing. As far as trimming machines I messed around with the trim bag and it was so so. I'm gonna look into the greenbroz machine.