What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MotherLode Gardens 2017

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Im not sure what kinda mites i had or still have in my backyard. They aren't webbing at all around buds. They are just crawling around on the backside of leafs. They are visible to the naked eye

When i hang plants though they all go upward to where i cut the branch. And web up there

H

hard rain

Hi Schrews, I'm a long time lurker from the other side of the world. I have been admiring your plants and commitment to sharing what you do. Great photo's too.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but have you considered predatory mites? I used to work in the cut flower and vegetable industry and we were trialing integrated pest management some 20 years ago with great success. Essentially using bugs to control bugs. The predator for 2 spotted mite was phytoseiulus persimilis. Not sure if eats russet mites but this kind of thing might be worth looking into. There are predatory bugs for most pests. You simply mail order and release into the worst areas. Their numbers build up quickly and the mites reduce even faster.

EasyGoing

i dont follow... youre saying theres nothing that can be sprayed on a plant to kill mites?

Dont worry screws, you don't need be able to translate crazy. You are doing your thing and it's going just fine. I would be honored to smoke some of your herb again this year. Especially some Ancient Og shatter!

Next year, beneficial's from day one.

I have always had spider mites, and I could trace it to the blackberry bushes that boarder my property. This year I decided to fight bugs with bugs, and the black berry bushes are clean of mites. It's quite amazing actually.

It's all about beneficial releases timed with good IPM timing. One two punch.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Im not sure what kinda mites i had or still have in my backyard. They aren't webbing at all around buds. They are just crawling around on the backside of leafs. They are visible to the naked eye

When i hang plants though they all go upward to where i cut the branch. And web up there

Some of the mites crawl out but if you look in the crouches of the bud there are still small bits of web with eggs on them...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Skunkman Sam said in all his years of growing, mites were the only thing he could not control organically...

skunkman sam was one of the biggest supporters of california's nefarious Prop. 64 here on icmag, as far as i'm concerned he's a washed up, irrelevant c()nt who doesn't care if people are still being arrested for growing as long as he can smoke a joint without worry.

Dont worry screws, you don't need be able to translate crazy. You are doing your thing and it's going just fine. I would be honored to smoke some of your herb again this year. Especially some Ancient Og shatter!

Next year, beneficial's from day one.

I have always had spider mites, and I could trace it to the blackberry bushes that boarder my property. This year I decided to fight bugs with bugs, and the black berry bushes are clean of mites. It's quite amazing actually.

It's all about beneficial releases timed with good IPM timing. One two punch.
I also found a native plant which seems to be a magnet for russet mites.. going to eradicate it over the winter.

spraying sulfur at a rate of 2-4 Tbsp/gallon seems to be the magic bullet for russet mites... however once things start to flower that option is off the table. Next year my plan once flowering begins is to release predator mites monthly , and spray with Venerate and Grandevo on a weekly basis. essential oil and dr bronner combo works well too and is worth adding to the rotation if you can afford it

you going to emerald cup this year?

bigherb

Veteran
Shcrews

I'm interested to know how you handle rain at this point of the season , any protective methods ?

Always great to hear your insight

1luvbigherb

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Shcrews

I'm interested to know how you handle rain at this point of the season , any protective methods ?

Always great to hear your insight

1luvbigherb

we dont worry about rain, in fact it can be helpful. trellis supports are up and the plants are strong. they've been outside thriving since april. last year we had zero mold or PM and this year looks similar.

if your plants are rotting in the field it means they weren't healthy enough to withstand a storm. Except for big giant colas, which can occasionally trap moisture inside and rot even if plant health is good.

It is important in bad weather to make sure the drying room is on point, lots of fans and dehueys prevent mold from growing on big wet buds after they are chopped and hung.

therevverend

Veteran
'mites were the only thing he could not control organically'

Indoors this is somewhat true. The more plants the more difficult it becomes. Organically you're going to have one hell of a battle and you'll have to put time into it every day. You have an artificial environment without the natural checks, the only predator of the mites is you. If you're too lazy/busy to put in the hours to control them you'll take the easy way out. Hate to admit I've done it before.
Outdoors it's entirely different. In a natural environment mites are held in check by their natural controls. It takes time and will power but it's nowhere near like it is indoors.
Spraying with chemicals is at best a stop gap measure. In a few years the mites will develop resistance and come after you twice as hard. You've been depending on the chemicals so your plants will not have developed natural resistance to pests. Breeding is the only way to gain long term resistance to any disease.
The demise of the honeybee is a symptom of the times. Farmers depend on insecticides to protect their crops. And they depend on an insect to pollinate their crops. Bees don't just pollinate the 'clean' field they're suppose to pollinate, the one the farmer hasn't sprayed yet. They go to all the fields and bring the poisons back to feed their brood.
Of course the same thing happens to all the beneficial insects that protect our crops. I've seen wasps hovering over my plants many times, hunting gnats, aphids, thrips, mites, etc. I think they're the biggest beneficial predator that goes unnoticed.
Now they're making GMOs so crops already have the pesticide inside them. When the pest eat the crop it dies. Or gains resistance to the toxin and breeds. (a lot faster then the humans eating the GMO) This is getting long I'll get off my soapbox..

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
'mites were the only thing he could not control organically'

Indoors this is somewhat true. The more plants the more difficult it becomes. Organically you're going to have one hell of a battle and you'll have to put time into it every day. You have an artificial environment without the natural checks, the only predator of the mites is you. If you're too lazy/busy to put in the hours to control them you'll take the easy way out. Hate to admit I've done it before.
Outdoors it's entirely different. In a natural environment mites are held in check by their natural controls. It takes time and will power but it's nowhere near like it is indoors.
Spraying with chemicals is at best a stop gap measure. In a few years the mites will develop resistance and come after you twice as hard. You've been depending on the chemicals so your plants will not have developed natural resistance to pests. Breeding is the only way to gain long term resistance to any disease.
The demise of the honeybee is a symptom of the times. Farmers depend on insecticides to protect their crops. And they depend on an insect to pollinate their crops. Bees don't just pollinate the 'clean' field they're suppose to pollinate, the one the farmer hasn't sprayed yet. They go to all the fields and bring the poisons back to feed their brood.
Of course the same thing happens to all the beneficial insects that protect our crops. I've seen wasps hovering over my plants many times, hunting gnats, aphids, thrips, mites, etc. I think they're the biggest beneficial predator that goes unnoticed.
Now they're making GMOs so crops already have the pesticide inside them. When the pest eat the crop it dies. Or gains resistance to the toxin and breeds. (a lot faster then the humans eating the GMO) This is getting long I'll get off my soapbox..

This season in my garden, i noticed little bees. like predatory wasp type

I also had a wasp problem mid summer buzzing around trying to get into my house, I think its something that helped with my caterpillars that i usually get.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
did you ever put a top layer of hortinet on them to grow up through?
a few of them got a top layer, a few never need it, and a few didn't get it. i do feel really stupid about that just so you know, but seriously it took my brain a long time to figure out how to get the trellis up properly, our ladder wasn't cutting it.
This is getting long I'll get off my soapbox..
i love it. get back up there anytime. sounds like we are on the same page although i have never resorted to chemical pesticides and i hope i never have to.
This season in my garden, i noticed little bees. like predatory wasp type
We have those here too. Last year when EasyGoing/Hazybulldog was visiting the farm he got stalked by one , it was brutal.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
we named this plant Amy

strain is Big Bang (space monkey x ancient og)
she got hit really hard by the mites but seems to be pulling through. looks like she could have easily topped 15lbs if not for the bugs. one of our strongest plants this year. We were able to save clones and are gonna use her in our next breeding project, plan to cross with our stud AOG f2 male to create some mega-strong monster genetics
tZxTF34.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts