What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2016

oti$

Nice collection of seeds you have! I got into bodhi this year after looking at your thread. I'm excited to watch your grow this year:D

lars1273

Popping seeds

Popping seeds

Shcrews, just finished up your motherlode gardens 2015 thread, lots of great reading and awesome pics, thanks for posting your experience last year.

I saw that you didn't pop your seeds until 4/1 last year. I'm curious as to why growers don't start them indoors earlier so that the plants are larger when it's time to throw them outside into the 800s? Do larger plants not do as well after moving outside into 800s?

Looking forward to this seasons grow!

Gizmo

A little hi from europe Mr Shcrews, im reading your 2015 garden thread and its simply beautiful, i rarely saw such huge plants, such trees :biggrin: it must be a lot of work but so much fun !

I saw you plant one plant in a 800 gallons pot, could you tell me how deep and how large are your pot ? Could you recommend the soil recipe you use please ? your plants looks very very happy and you don't seem to use liquid nutrients so your soil must be very good/rich.

im surprise you don't grow some psychedelic/energetic long flowering sativas or sativa hybrids like haze hybrids or zamal hybrids, can't you finish a 14 weeks strain at your latitude ?

all the best for the 2016 season man ! :tree:

N

NewAgeGenetics

never seen a bodhi strain what had no sativa characteristic, even the indica doms are very hybrid like strains. long flowering sativas are not cash crop strains btw

EastBayGrower

Veteran
damn bro, looks like someone is excited to hit it hsrd again this year :) good luck harvesting, as always..

one more year in the backyard and then im getting my land in a 99 plant county... go big or go work a day job lol...

i wont be making my outdoor thread till march though, still getting some GOOD rain in cali, atleast until the end of FEB.

you doing any clones this year? I have to keep plants below a certin hieght so i really cant grow em over 7' or there migth be secuirity risks so i find that clones work best for me, costistant quality and roduct is a great thing to have instead of well one pheno out of 6 wass FIRE while the other 3 were ok and 2 just bunk,.. no mo seeds for me untill 500+ gal pots.. ill put it this way, one clone i had sold for 2500 a p, the others more like ~1900, so
big difference ime with the RIGHT clone, especially if its hardy outoors as well...

the only thing i wanted to mention is BECAREFUL WITH THE FOLIARS, we both know the rash of disqualifications at the emerald cup, most where for microbials (i had a failed crop also) due to spraying compost teas in flower, just becareful certain tea brews with yeast and other ingediants (animal based) wont break down and will go anarobic on the plant surface and boom failed crop.. no dispensary will take it... So becareful when you start/stop foliars, and i too was usuing only PPD, CalCarb, and my AACT...

good luck bro, ill be around ;)

just my .02

Screws, hope you have a great season.

EastBayGrower - I sprayed with ACT's through flower and I didn't fail my tests. Tested at two labs also. I don't think that was the problem. Plus, the phylloplane can't withstand life after harvest. I would search other areas where you may have come into contaminants which made you fail your tests.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
I pretty sure I narrowed 8t down to the bakers yeast that is included in the commercial AACT mix "boogie brew", bit it could also have been from an AACT that didn't have enough oxygen and went anarobic, I'm not positive though and will just stop spraying before onset of flowers, still foliar in veg and early flower though, just be careful seems like it happens a lot this year with microbial failed tests with organic growers

orechron

seed list

South Fork Seeds:
-South Fork Kush
-Kaya's Dream

Franchise Genetics:
-Area 43

SwampBoys Seeds:
-Zelda

Bodhi:
-Ancient OG
-Dream Beaver

My vote ^^^
Kaya's dream would prob do 12+ plants easily and the seed quality will be higher on stuff from south fork if backyard had any hand in it. Most breeders don't spray micronutrients; addition of Manganese will prob have a big quality impact on the seeds.

WiFi and crosses do really well outside. If Zelda is anything like the mother, you'll get weight and loud bags. Here's a pic of Legend last year:
picture.php

Also, Ancient has always delivered for you correct? Might as well put in some tried and true. I thought the dream beavers looked great last season.

Keeping track of sap pH is a really cool thing. Once you start doing it you'll continue. Its valuable. You'd be surprised how quickly you can raise sap pH with an AgSil drench or lower it by P inputs. If you have cash to burn get some of the Horiba sap meters and we can collaborate on some data collection!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
great selections, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's really hard for me to decide these things. The Ancient always performs well for me and I still have a couple packs so will be popping those for sure. you're right about the WiFi and Legend crosses. only got a pack of each of those though. South Fork seeds are proven yielders IMO but i'm not so sure about running a blue dream cross. i really dont like that strain much. I'm starting to feel that way about the green crack dominance in Dream Beaver also.

South Fork Kush (sfv x chem bx) and 2-wave hold down (trainwreck x chem bx) both sound better to me than a blue dream cross.

Horiba sap meters huh? sweet. i'm down! got any links?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
damn bro, looks like someone is excited to hit it hsrd again this year :) good luck harvesting, as always..

one more year in the backyard and then im getting my land in a 99 plant county... go big or go work a day job lol...
yah i'm pretty stoked to start this season. I have a lot of work to do by april. Good luck this year. What do you think of the changes coming in cali? seems like a sketchy time to be buying land

you doing any clones this year? I have to keep plants below a certin hieght so i really cant grow em over 7' or there migth be secuirity risks so i find that clones work best for me, costistant quality and roduct is a great thing to have instead of well one pheno out of 6 wass FIRE while the other 3 were ok and 2 just bunk,.. no mo seeds for me untill 500+ gal pots.. ill put it this way, one clone i had sold for 2500 a p, the others more like ~1900, so
big difference ime with the RIGHT clone, especially if its hardy outoors as well...
. no, all seeds for me this year. I like the variety, and the vigor. Everything i grow goes for the same price regardless of quality, some just take longer to move than others, and those are the ones i dont grow again.

the only thing i wanted to mention is BECAREFUL WITH THE FOLIARS, we both know the rash of disqualifications at the emerald cup, most where for microbials (i had a failed crop also) due to spraying compost teas in flower, just becareful certain tea brews with yeast and other ingediants (animal based) wont break down and will go anarobic on the plant surface and boom failed crop.. no dispensary will take it... So becareful when you start/stop foliars, and i too was usuing only PPD, CalCarb, and my AACT...
I didnt enter the emerald cup last year, and dont plan to enter again in the future. I dont need to hype a brand just yet. Thanks, i will be very careful in deciding what products, if any, to use on my plants this year.
I pretty sure I narrowed 8t down to the bakers yeast that is included in the commercial AACT mix "boogie brew", bit it could also have been from an AACT that didn't have enough oxygen and went anarobic, I'm not positive though and will just stop spraying before onset of flowers, still foliar in veg and early flower though, just be careful seems like it happens a lot this year with microbial failed tests with organic growers

quality herb speaks for itself. Ive never had my weed screened for microbes by a lab. Never needed to. Dispensaries take it anyway and put it on their top shelf

If you grew it, and know that it is clean, then why get a microbial test? I dont see the point of that unless you are having a hard time selling your ganja without a lab certification. I guess you are getting more for you units than i am though, so keep doing your thing...

I have to say man I'm a little envious of your genetic line up you've got goin here from a fellow 209er can't wait to see you kill it again this year
Ive been collecting seeds all year.. spent way too much probably. 209! you down in the valley or up in the hills?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Shcrews, just finished up your motherlode gardens 2015 thread, lots of great reading and awesome pics, thanks for posting your experience last year.

I saw that you didn't pop your seeds until 4/1 last year. I'm curious as to why growers don't start them indoors earlier so that the plants are larger when it's time to throw them outside into the 800s? Do larger plants not do as well after moving outside into 800s?

Looking forward to this seasons grow!
hey thanks for tuning in! i hope this year is even better than 2015. to answer your questions

-vegging indoors for full-season plants is not optimal. a small greenhouse is perfect for seedlings in the spring

-optimal germination time for full season plants is a subject which has been very thoroughly discussed. the general consensus is that seeds sprouted in the spring have the most vigor, and eventually outgrow earlier (winter) starts. March seems to be the best time to sprout seeds, although the exact date is subject to debate. Some guys start earlier but it seems to be unnecessary

Somebody may come along and prove everyone wrong with 20lbers that they sprouted in january, but i haven't seen it

A little hi from europe Mr Shcrews, im reading your 2015 garden thread and its simply beautiful, i rarely saw such huge plants, such trees :biggrin: it must be a lot of work but so much fun !

I saw you plant one plant in a 800 gallons pot, could you tell me how deep and how large are your pot ? Could you recommend the soil recipe you use please ? your plants looks very very happy and you don't seem to use liquid nutrients so your soil must be very good/rich.

im surprise you don't grow some psychedelic/energetic long flowering sativas or sativa hybrids like haze hybrids or zamal hybrids, can't you finish a 14 weeks strain at your latitude ?

all the best for the 2016 season man ! :tree:
hello! the 800's are 8ft diameter x 2ft tall.

Soil recipe is Clackamas Coot's mix. I will post test results from the different variations after i send samples for analysis. Last year i used only water, had decent results but there were a few issues (PM, stunted growth). This year i want to use some new techniques, including various foliar sprays and possibly root drenches, to improve plant health and garden vibes.

re: your last question, I dont have much experience with long-flowering sativas and the legal circumstances in my locale don't allow me much room for experimentation. Also at this point i'm basically a cash cropper and the market basically dictates what i grow, which seems to be mostly OG's and OG hybrids. that's ok because i love OG.

dont get me wrong I would love to grow some wild sativa bush weed someday.

mako44

Love this thread! I learn a lot here, Thanks for letting us watch Shcrews ! My start date last yr was 4/20 It was a colder start to spring, so most plants did not ed up quite a big as i would like, But the SSDD got to 5 units, I would start earlier but space is factor ! My 10-12 day old seedling go straight into ground ,Wifi being fem seed makes easier , Im going to try my AO x AO seeds i made ,i tested some & they want to grow , I also did a AO x wifi , I think you said you have wifi seeds , I would run at least 1 fore sure ,Its been in my rotation for yrs now , It does very good outdoors ,iv had 5 unit plants, you could break 10 plus , I love the bodhi strains i did last yr,BUT the WIFI !!!!,You will not be sorry,!!

R

Robrites

Looks like you have upped your photography game. Can't wait for you to get plants in the ground.

leadsled

Nice photos!
great selections, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's really hard for me to decide these things. The Ancient always performs well for me and I still have a couple packs so will be popping those for sure. you're right about the WiFi and Legend crosses. only got a pack of each of those though. South Fork seeds are proven yielders IMO but i'm not so sure about running a blue dream cross. i really dont like that strain much. I'm starting to feel that way about the green crack dominance in Dream Beaver also.

South Fork Kush (sfv x chem bx) and 2-wave hold down (trainwreck x chem bx) both sound better to me than a blue dream cross.

Horiba sap meters huh? sweet. i'm down! got any links?

Cheapest I have found the SAP meters is on amazon:

HORIBA LAQUAtwin Model B-713 Compact pH Meter
http://www.amazon.com/HORIBA-LAQUAtwin-3200456563-Compact-0-01pH/dp/B00DD5C0Z2

PH, Brix as a minimum. Ideally would also get the K and EC.

Cal and N meters are not exact. Measures more than CAL so can use as a baseline vs absolute value.

When you do get a soil test. Good idea to also test for N. It costs extra.
If the Neem cake contains 6% Nitrogen.
@1/2 cup per cubic foot is 653 lbs per acre of nitrogen.
That is without factoring other amendments.

Latest posts

Latest posts