What's new

Mosca Negra's C99 BX1 - 400w Cabinet Grow by GrnMtnGrwr

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
electronic ballasts can run both. but magnetic ballasts are either specific to a type of bulb. or are switchable.

No.

There are very few electronic ballasts that will run CMH. They must specifically say they can.

Above 150w, CMH bulbs can run on magnetic HPS ballasts.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
No.

There are very few electronic ballasts that will run CMH. They must specifically say they can.

Above 150w, CMH bulbs can run on magnetic HPS ballasts.

Thanks for squaring that away for us. Where does one find these cmh setups? I've read part way thru the cmh thread and probably should read more. They sound like a pretty good way to go.

mgk :smokey:

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry, not trying to spread miss information, but. every electronic ballast I'VE ever seen does both.
and all the magnetic ballasts I'VE seen is either spacific to HPS, or MH... or does both and has a switch.
i dont know if your CMH is a conversion bulb. i run straight MH and HPS
a conversion MH bulb is made to run on HPS ballasts. (and visa, versa)

F

fully baked

The CMH is harder to start above 150w. That's the reason for needing specific ballasts.

Taken straight from the CMH thread here

Philips Ceramic Metal Halide MasterColor is available in
20-400 watts
20-150 watt PCMH's run on Pulsed start Metal Halide Ballasts Only
250-400 are avail in PS MH or HPS retro..
(we chose HPS retro for many reasons for horti)
the 250 and 400 "HPS Retro White Ceramic Metal Halide" are specifically designed for use in HPS Magnetic Core Ballasts..
cmh bulbs will run on a electronic ballast only if that electronic ballasts Specifically says for use with Ceramic Bulb on the actual ballasts..
actually cmh like the low Freq of Mag core ballasts over High Freq Electronic ballasts.

there preferred range is 144-240Hz mag core ballasts is 60hz

FB

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that HPS retro white CMH, is a conversion bulb. that type of bulb is ment to run on the opposite ballast.
i run MH, not sure if CMH fires up differently or not. i assume its the same.
i also have all electronic ballasts (galaxy's) that do both MH and HPS

thanks for helping fullybaked

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry for the confusion, i was talking from my MH experience.
reading up, we are both right, but were talking about different things...
CMH is not recomended for electronic ballasts. MH is ok.

p.s. i hate miss information, i always speak from experience, and what i know to be true.

Last edited:

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
This is the last picture you will see of them in the starter cells. I've mixed up the coco/perlite and rinsed it, they will get transplanted this evening.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Transplanted all seedlings into 33% Perlite 67% Coco, and watered with about 3/4~ strength nutes. I made up 4 gallons of 6/9 GH mix, and that put the water at 7.1ph, which is kind of odd, because my tap water was 7.5ph last week, and it was 8.5 this week. :chin:

Anyways, I applied PH down a few times and went down about .3 each time. The last time it went from 5.9 to 5.1, so I dumped some out and added some tap water back in. This diluted the concentration a little bit, but that's alright. I'm still waiting on some syringes for more accurate measurements.

They're now sitting under the 400w CMH in their 4" square containers. I think I'll start foliar feeding after they get another couple nodes, maybe at the first 5 finger leaves, depending on how they're looking. And now, lots of pictures. :biggrin:

Ac|dRa|n

nice

nice

lookin' good. I'll have to stop by again sometime soon to see them in person.

those labels look familiar, are they what I think they are?

-Ac|d

M

mosca negra

Thanks GMG for keepin' us updated! Lookin' good!!

BTW, what is the ph of the H2O you are using for your seedlings? I prefer to use 5.8-6.0 and always use House & Garden Root Excelurator.

Cheers,

Mosca

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Ac|d - No, I was thinking about using those but forgot to grab some, that's just duct tape with green Sharpie.

mosca negra - Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for making these awesome genetics available! :respect: I've been using 5.5, but I've been thinking about switching it up each feeding, somewhere between 5.5 and 6.0 each time, so thanks for your input, I'll definitely be giving them higher PH feedings. I noticed a very slight leaf curl on a couple of the plants and I've seen that before when I had PH issues, so the next feeding will definitely be high 5s.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
That's what I thought but the only examples I could find were much more severe. Interesting... :chin:

One of the other plants, besides 1 and 3, have some very slight markings as well.

gdbud

Three of them with that markings?
I wonder of mosca negra has seen a trend with some of his grows? although I don't remember seeing a note of it in his grow diary.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I haven't seen anything in any of the other BX1 grows. I wonder what I did to them... :chin::dunno:

Everything will be documented so we'll see...

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
The surface of the medium is showing no signs of drying yet. I'd like to water them again but I want to let the roots stretch out a little bit before I get into a regular feeding schedule. Hopefully by tomorrow or tomorrow night? :chin:

Latest posts

Latest posts