What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moroccan Beldia Kif

goingrey

Buds starting to form on the girls.

bldiaf.jpg

Tied the male down and moved the light closer. Hopefully that will get them over the overwatering faster. Will get their first dose of bloom nutes when they do.

Caught a whiff off the boy when bending it. Smelled like.. weed.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I had Beldia Moroccan outside the last couple seasons, had one hidden male throw some nanners, but none had opened when I culled him. Made a lot of 45u hash compared to other strains.
Peace farmerlion

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi all,

Being that some of you have already tested this genetics and that beldia seems, from what I have readen here, a very resilent strain, few months ago, I decided to order a pack of 5 regulars. I have not sprouted them yet but hope to do it along this week. My idea as I already posted before is to explore the drought resistance of the strain so to be able to try dry farming in the future. This way I am not sure if to select one single male and pollinate some females ( including congo, panama, Jack la mota and of course beldia) or if doing first an open pollinitation with all males and females which I may get. For the first option, there is any trait I can check for selecting a male which is really drough resistant? I heard those with more columnar growing may also show the most resistance against drough but probably some of you may advice better.

In addition, from the strain description I saw it should be planted in medium to big size pots to get a good ratio of females. does it mean the rest are males or do they turn hermies? By mendel laws I would say because of X-Y combination, a seed has already a declared sex since it is a seed but I am not too deep in genetics. What sould be a typical ratio of males/females? which pot size is recomended if sprouting them by june 20 to 30 liters? Should I dig a big hole if planting them directly in soil? I guess it may take up to september to finish flowering by starting them so late.

As stated I am not too experts in genetics so would you look for any other trait for a male?

I am sorry if I did too many questions,

luiggi

Thanks for your support @Luiggi much appreciated. Best way to know which ones are the most resistant is to expose population to same stress and select the individuals that perform best under a given stress, lack of water in this case.

Only sexually stable P1 Beldia parent plants were used to produce both Beldia regular and feminized versions, although it is still possible to findn a hermie in current P2 generations. Original Beldia lines always have had hermie tendencies since Moroccan farmers usually grow thousands and thousands of plants at the same time, females and males almost open-pollinating each other every season, without hardly any male removal, neither much selection other than early flowering, natural resistance to drought and high temps, and for a quite open flower structure which is very suitable for hash production by beaten method. Moroccan farmers hate the super dense modern Kush flower structures, since such dense, rounded flowering structure is not very suitable for their hash production method, they prefer flowering structures with more exposure surface, typically very open, sativa landrace type like Beldia does.

Genetists dont fully understand yet how the gender in cannabis and hermaphroditism work. For gender, big part is really determined by genetics like in feminized seeds, but in regular seeds i have appreciated many times how environment affects female ratio at sexing time, for good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

On your third question, i have posted here in this room a few times tips for male selection, one not long ago (sorry, i forgot where, must be in my recent posts). Very important to realize first: grow and harvest the females from the population and evaluate what traits do you like most from them and look for that in the males from the population.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad you are so excited about your Moroccan indoor run @goingrey ;)
Really high yield, high flower to leaf ratio and strong sativa traits in the male of your last post.

Don't leave the male too long in the room once you have observed the pollination has been a success on all budsites (unless you want to maximize number of seeds produced), that is to avoid harvest many not fully developed white seeds from latest moment of pollination, and to enhance size, nutrients, vigor and viability in the seeds produced from early pollination stage.

Hmong

Veteran
Moroccan farmers hate the super dense modern Kush flower structures

are they buying @dubi ? ;)

With the decline in genetics, due to the "Strain Hunters effect" and eradication, I just assume those farmers are in dire need for real seeds again.

re-breeding great hash plants isn't hard, you just gotta start with the right genetics.
Make hybrids of your Beldia with some Lebanese, Sinai etc.
mix something that's already related, just to break the inbreeding depression.
Stabilize the line into F4 and send em out, making a fortune.
Once those grow in the fields again, nature will take care of it for another 700 years.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Make hybrids of your Beldia with some Lebanese, Sinai etc.
mix something that's already related, just to break the inbreeding depression.
Stabilize the line into F4 and send em out, making a fortune.
Once those grow in the fields again, nature will take care of it for another 700 years.

Hi @Hmong :)
Moroccan farmers would welcome vigorous and high yielding, good quality Lebanese strains, which would easily replace local Beldia strains, since they are similar, but Lebanese is much better in every regard: vigor, yield, terpene and resin quality, both are rich in THC and CBD chemotypes. Beldia is faster flowering, but with a huge sacrifice regarding yield in average compared with Lebanese.

Moroccan farmers are replacing their local genepool with modern imported western sativa/indica polyhybrids, and very soon (if not already) there won't be any Beldia grown, other than in very isolated, non commercial grows, which are obviously not the norm, and hardly will have any export impact. Kif smoking traditions are getting lost compared with modern smoking prefrences.

Hmong

Veteran
@dubi isn't morocco legalizing soon? I saw some reports last year about the king wanting to legalize.

anyway, those were just some stoned thoughts of mine, high on that Thai^^
I appreciate you confirming that theory and adding your insight.

Currently I'm on a reproduction spree, turning over my whole seed stash.
The only Moroccan I have is Sandstorm, which I'm going to reproduce this winter indoors.
To add more variety in my vault and for lack of males in the Sandstorm, I sourced some Belida of yours.
Also own Lebanese, Sinai and many NLD Afghani and Paki lines, besides many more I just forgot.

My winter conditions indoors are very dry, due to central heating.
30% at most, often less, so its gonna be a good environment for reproducing these hash lines.
You always wanna replicate original conditions as close as possible with the "landrace" stuff, which I don't have to tell you @dubi , it's for the readers later.
Educating people is the greatest deed, that's why guys like you being online is so valuable!

Outdoor conditions here are too wet for these lines, the early finishers don't do well because of the rains, it's those with Sativa influence that come through in October until about Halloween, that shine.

Southern Spain would be perfect to select new hash hybrids, from F1s that I could provide.
It just doesn't make sense for me to do here, the environment would make for shit breeding.
Indoors I can't do populations, just keeping lines alive and outcross when it makes sense.

Just saying once there is some move towards legalization down there, you wanna be in the seed business :smoker:

Last edited:

goingrey

Glad you are so excited about your Moroccan indoor run @goingrey ;)
Really high yield, high flower to leaf ratio and strong sativa traits in the male of your last post.

Don't leave the male too long in the room once you have observed the pollination has been a success on all budsites (unless you want to maximize number of seeds produced), that is to avoid harvest many not fully developed white seeds from latest moment of pollination, and to enhance size, nutrients, vigor and viability in the seeds produced from early pollination stage.
Thanks dubi! Good point about getting the male out soon! With it being so fast flowering don't want pollen around much longer..

revegeta666

Qué pasa @dubi no sabía que tuvieras un hilo para la marroquí! Me preguntaba si crees que con estas plantas podria reproducir el apaleao que le solíamos comprar al Chiruka en la avenida del puerto a finales de los 90 jajajaja. De ese que llevaba media bolsa del mercadona escondida dentro de la cuarta para abultar si te acuerdas. Los chiquillos de hoy en dia estan demasiado mimados.

Debe hacer más de 15 años que no he fumado chocolate marroquí, pero todavía tengo grabada en la mente y en la nariz la imagen de tener las uñas manchadas de ya sabes qué, abriendo los huevos culeros. Y de cuando bajábamos a Cartagena porque allí tenian lo que no llegaba a Valencia. Pero merecía la pena. En esa época para fumar había que currárselo no? ;)

Saludos a tí y al Komanche, de parte del Kalvo que estuvo por aquí este finde y con el que compartí algunas de las Erdpurts y libanesas que me mandaste de regalo. Se casa en noviembre!

goingrey

b0.jpg

So something interesting happened to both self-topped girls when trying to train them - the stalk split. Careful when handling the self-toppers, it seems! Though hopefully it's fine and there are enough juices flowing on both sides.

Very low odor still. When you get real close and take a huge whiff you can smell some fruit bubblegum. Somewhat surprisingly, maybe I'm getting nothing from the Beldia right under my nose and actually smelling the PCK clone in the back corner of the tent hehe.

revegeta666

View attachment 18857061

So something interesting happened to both self-topped girls when trying to train them - the stalk split. Careful when handling the self-toppers, it seems! Though hopefully it's fine and there are enough juices flowing on both sides.

Very low odor still. When you get real close and take a huge whiff you can smell some fruit bubblegum. Somewhat surprisingly, maybe I'm getting nothing from the Beldia right under my nose and actually smelling the PCK clone in the back corner of the tent hehe.
Just use a piece of tape for a couple of weeks and she won't event notice 😃

revegeta666

Do you think it's necessary? I was expecting/hoping they would callus up naturally without needing a banda unge..
Maybe it would close by itself but when this happens I don't like to leave it to chance. That's a big open wound, a lot of surface for infection. And there's a risk you could accidentally split it further.

goingrey

Maybe it would close by itself but when this happens I don't like to leave it to chance. That's a big open wound, a lot of surface for infection. And there's a risk you could accidentally split it further.
The further splitting is a concern for sure. Even if I'm careful when handling them, the tops will get heavier and a cause a strain exactly there. Maybe some support would be good.

The wounds I get on myself seem to heal faster and fight infections much better when exposed to air and light rather than being bandaged up. Not sure how well that translates to plants.