What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

moonshine mix

mysta177

RG....thats some nice ass shit bro I like that a lot. I thought of doing the same thing in my c13 but I really never seen one done...till now. Im very interested iin this also.
Is that the MSM your rocken?
Very nice tops.............. :joint:

Rare Groove

Hey guys. Mysta :wave: ...thanks so much for posting & pimping this mix! Without it I would have had no idea of the great results possible and the minimum amount of work required to use this mix.

That pic above shows many firsts for me...that's my first: tub grow, complete indoor soil grow, SCROG grow, and first time using the MSM. The results speak for themselves, and I only had a few minor problems along the way.

That tub is around 16 gallons...I bought it originally for a DWC container, and I remember 12gal of water filling it to a good level. It's just a cheap Sterilite container from Wal-Mart. Originally it was translucent so I picked up some of that black spray paint that's made for plastic and gave it a good coating. For this SCROG grow I started out with the container closed at the botton and a water tube buried below the soil. This ended up being a BAD idea because it was hard to give an even watering and also impossible to flush. I cut holes in the bottom and started top-watering part way through the grow. FYI I wouldn't want to use a tub any larger than this one. After you water it gets damn heavy and is a pain in the ass to move around.

Once I got the watering schedule down the only problem I had was that the soil mix liked to hang out in the low 5 pH range. I flushed several times using water well over 7 pH in order to try and keep the soil in an acceptable range. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking it had to do with the large volume and the fact that I didn't add any dolomite lime when I made the mix up.

There are three plants in the SCROG, all clones. The chunky looking buds are a Twilight x Mango cross that a friend made. The other main plant is some sort of "African Skunk" from the same friend. The third plant is also an African Skunk and was added after most of the screen was filled and was grown SOG style just for a comparison.

I grew this in a C-25 cabinet. Main lighting was a 250 HPS. I also supplemented during the second half of budding with two 42W CFLs hung vertical in the cab. Right now this cab is in storage but I'm hoping to get it out soon. I want to divide it up more so I have a veg chamber up top and can get a perpetual harvest going.

Here's some more pics for y'all :joint:

chump

moonshine man, for your updated nutrient-ready mix, what can i use as a substitute for black gold?

thanks for all the great info

George

i forgot about this thread but would it be a good idea to use 2tbl spoons of dolomite lime with this mix per gallon?

George

mysta177 said:
good to see ya again george........If you grew in MSM you wouldnt forget anymore...lol
haha i know i know. well to let you know i did finally get my blockhead seeds soooo...ill probably be tryin out this mix depending on money. im a little short due to the damn holidays but well see whats up. ive been eager to get started though and have promised myself to try this mix since i saw this thread.

mysta177

alright......day 30 and still no feeding execpt to the chocoD. The OG is doing really good in this mix. Its starting to yellow a lil so I might give it some fish mix and pmaxx :joint:

G

OK....i'm in.. this is like the coolest thread on here. one more time mysta..i was a lil stoned last time u told me...ALOT SToned!!anyways....i'm dancing right now!hwhehehehe....how do i subscribe to a post???hehehesorry
tooo f-ckin cool!!!happy frog,,,wooohoo buubba BUSH'S , OG!!!outsidie,...excuse me whlie i dance some moor.ashreehehheheehe ..
dude THANKYOU!!!!!sorry , sorry gettin outa hand, iloveit.
MOONSHINEMAN....I'M A BEliever...results comming....SUPER Cool for All the help!
i think i will do a side by side soiless and Happyfrog grow just for kicks.
i love the ideas behind MSM , is it better than soiless and PB??? i wanna see for myself. dreaming of a spring fed water supply.....
peace
joe

Last edited:

mysta177

Joe........glad you could make it bro. Yea thats was a stoney event lets see we smoked OG,OG,BUBBA,SSSDH,sweettooth,OG,blueberry,beast,grapefruit, and more OG yea we were baked
9005mary1_068.jpg

Rare Groove

mysta177 said:
lets see we smoked OG,OG,BUBBA,SSSDH,sweettooth,OG,blueberry,beast,grapefruit, and more OG yea we were baked

Hey mysta, looking really nice! I've got a Somango Gum flowering week 3 in MSM. It's coming along great- I'll snap some pics once I get my new cam. Can you tell me some more about this strain called beast? I had a really nice bag seed a few years ago that I dubbed 'The Beast.' Curious to hear about your beast.

G

i'm currently on my second run of msm mix (basic version of lw, of, + planting mix + perlite), with a 400 watt hydro hut mini.

The results of the first harvest were great for a 3month flower time Jack herer clone using only plain ph'd water. The yield could probably be better but the flavor and burn even with no 'flush' are better than I've ever tried.

I'm gonna see what happens this run with water from the tap (no ph down) which comes out to a ph of 7.1.
I'm also considering giving a couple of teas during the bloom cycle to maybe increase yield and make up for some micro deficiencies that i observed (calcium, mg, sulfur) last run.

Anyone else not ph adjusting there water with the basic moonshine mix or using additioonal ferts during the bloom cycle?

mysta177

Zor.......I tried it with no noticable results. Your right about some diff on some strains not all IMO. Thank you for posting up and Please do diff things it will only help others out in the long run here on IC. A lot of other growers use this mix in some way and just add "THERE CUP OF TEA". My cup of tea is PurpleMaxx.
Im stuck in the middle of doing the new moonshine mix and the one JD is using
witch is close to MSM#2 in its own way. JD post that mix up.........

chump

How do you guys prepare the Coco coir for mixing the medium? also, what do you guys use to mix that much soil together? juts outside on the ground?

Last edited:
G

sup Mysta!!! THE BEAST!!! She came to me as a sprout rescue...7 sprouts.
1 was male.
4 were C99, of which one turned out to be GF.
1 ended up being a Strawberry C.
the final was a indica dom...never a confirmed idenity...possibly afgani or SK. influanced. it turned out to be THE BIGGEST Single bud ive ever grown. SO FAR.
very good pain relieveing, and knock out punch. the top bud was 37 gms dried and cured. she also gave me some seeds from a lonely male flower on the SC.225-250 seeds. all on one branch. this rescue was a blessing BIG TIME> THANKS SLIPS!!!!
there is a thread in flowering pics: Seed my biggest yet, featuring this plant.
hey M...hows that Choco D taist?????they done yet?...how ya been man? i dont see you around so much...ck. the Wake n Bake in the tokers den...cool peeps
P>Joe

mysta177

Chump ......welcome.....I have not used Coco YEY so im not the best to comment on that. I mix in one of those $10 pools for kids at wally world. You know those hard blue pools you had as a kid?

JOe ....thanks bro.....Well I havnt smoked any good dried choco yet but will let you know when I do. Yea Ive been busy this year so far and just laying low....you feel me bro. Im still looken to get youe way soon..stay tuned. Where is MSM?

JDOG6000

Veteran
The mix I came up with is for people who want a base of nutes in there soil but still want to be able to add more nutes or additives.depending on the strain of course.
So here it is, the poor mans Moonshine mix...
Or the Dawg mix.lol

I mix each pot seperatly since I ussually only add one big plant into flower at a time.

So in a 3 gallon pot it's 1/3 Happy frog
1/3 light warrior
1/3 chunky foxfarm perlite.
Then I add 1 1/2- 2 teaspoons of Fruit n flower to the soil and mix it up.
About half of the recomended dose.
This is so lower feeding plants can just live of these nutes but strains like Bubba or OG can have nutes added.
The Fn F gives it a nice foundation of health.
And the extra feeding adds yield and crystals.
I feed with Liquid Karma and sugar Daddy almost ever watering.
Sometimes I'll add Big Bloom if the plants need it.

I add Bushmaster around the second week.
Then when it's done stretching I add Purple Maxx once a week until the 5th-6th week, then flush.
Anyquestions fire away.

I found this mix has more fexibility then the Moonshine mix.
Which I need because I grew several strains at once.

The first watering, I'll add some super thrive and Grow big to the mix for a first feeding until the nutes can break up in soil.
I don't add More food until close to the end (like the 4th-6th week depending on the strain) Just add a few good doses of Biog Bloom for flavor and bud size along with the Pmxx.
Here is what the plants look like with this mix.
Very healthy...

Last edited:

chump

Moonshineman said:
I never cave to feeding plants.....lol...

So here is the new mix....

All waterings should be PH between 6.3 and 6.7 for best results....

1 bag of Ocean Forest
1 bag of Planting Mix
1 bag of Black Gold organic soil
1/2 cu/ft of Earth worm castings
2 coco Bricks
8 gallons of Perelite
1 cup Peace of Mind Fruit and flower
1 cup Peace of Mind Starter

The plants need NOTHING in Veg......

in flower I feed the First week of Flowering @ day 5-7 and they are fed again at day 21-30........
Feeding #1 mixed in a 5 gallon bucket
1tsp of Fish Mix (from Bio Bizz)
1Tblspn of Mother Earth Organic Tea grow (advanced Nutrients)
1tblspn of Mother Earth Tea Bloom (Advanced Nutrients)
1tblspn of Dr Hornbys Iguana Juice Bloom (Advanced Nutrients)

this is a very light nute bath for the roots......and really jumpstarts the flowering process without messing up the integrity of the soil.....

the 2nd feeding is done around day 30, the closer to the halfway mark the better.....also mixed in a 5 gal bucket
1 Tblspn of Mother Earth Grow
2Tblspn of Mother Earth Bloom
2 Tblspn of Iguana Juice Bloom

and thats it...2 feedings......and Ive seen increased bud sites and much larger ueilds without compromising the taste and smell......

I found by substituting the Coco fiber, Black gold and Castings , for the Light warrior loosend the soil substantialy and since this mix is a little looser and not as rich it allows nutes to be absorbed better without locking em out or givin the buds the "guano" flavor.....

Ive known about the supposed benifits of Copper on plants for a long time.....its one of them old wives tales that seem to work for whatever reason......Ive never heard of using a copper pot but using copper wire to tie off yer plants or Copper rods for stakes have been used by old time gardeners for years.....

Was that Pink Kush from the RM clones??? I had that cut for a bit...real Weak flavor for the smell and look of the plant.....Its totaly pink and purple Outdoors as well.....But I personaly think the PK is complete Garbage compared to the Real Bubba Kush......no flavor , no stone compared to BK.....but man is it pretty....

Msm

won't i be missing out on the Light Warriors mycorrhizae?

Latest posts

Latest posts