What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

moonshine mix

Angel Eyes

Moonshineman said:
I never cave to feeding plants.....lol...

So here is the new mix....

All waterings should be PH between 6.3 and 6.7 for best results....

1 bag of Ocean Forest
1 bag of Planting Mix
1 bag of Black Gold organic soil
1/2 cu/ft of Earth worm castings
2 coco Bricks
8 gallons of Perelite
1 cup Peace of Mind Fruit and flower
1 cup Peace of Mind Starter

The plants need NOTHING in Veg......

in flower I feed the First week of Flowering @ day 5-7 and they are fed again at day 21-30........
Feeding #1 mixed in a 5 gallon bucket
1tsp of Fish Mix (from Bio Bizz)
1Tblspn of Mother Earth Organic Tea grow (advanced Nutrients)
1tblspn of Mother Earth Tea Bloom (Advanced Nutrients)
1tblspn of Dr Hornbys Iguana Juice Bloom (Advanced Nutrients)

this is a very light nute bath for the roots......and really jumpstarts the flowering process without messing up the integrity of the soil.....

the 2nd feeding is done around day 30, the closer to the halfway mark the better.....also mixed in a 5 gal bucket
1 Tblspn of Mother Earth Grow
2Tblspn of Mother Earth Bloom
2 Tblspn of Iguana Juice Bloom

and thats it...2 feedings......and Ive seen increased bud sites and much larger ueilds without compromising the taste and smell......

I found by substituting the Coco fiber, Black gold and Castings , for the Light warrior loosend the soil substantialy and since this mix is a little looser and not as rich it allows nutes to be absorbed better without locking em out or givin the buds the "guano" flavor.....

Ive known about the supposed benifits of Copper on plants for a long time.....its one of them old wives tales that seem to work for whatever reason......Ive never heard of using a copper pot but using copper wire to tie off yer plants or Copper rods for stakes have been used by old time gardeners for years.....

Was that Pink Kush from the RM clones??? I had that cut for a bit...real Weak flavor for the smell and look of the plant.....Its totaly pink and purple Outdoors as well.....But I personaly think the PK is complete Garbage compared to the Real Bubba Kush......no flavor , no stone compared to BK.....but man is it pretty....

Msm

Well, it looks like we're drifting away from our ideal of the original Moonshine Mix, which was simplicity. I'm not knocking anyone for trying new methods, because that's half the fun of all this. The new formula looks like a winner, but I have to admit I'm heading in the opposite direction.

I'm sticking with the mix of FF Ocean Forest, FF Planting Mix, and FF Light Warrior. Also, I'm simplifying again by not putting any fertilizer in the soil until about two weeks into veg or flower, depending on whether I go straight into 12/12 from clone or veg a little.

So it's just the three soils, and then I feed with FF Peace of Mind Fruit and Flower dry fertilizer 2 or 3 times during the whole life cycle of the plant. My plants sure seem healthy and happy, and I'm not sure if that's because of the fine Fox Farm soil and fertilizer, or if things are going well because I'm not doing any of the micro-managing and tweaking that cause most of the problems I see with growers here in ICMag.

From what I've seen here at ICMag, over-fertilizing is the #1 destroyer of plants and yields. I over-fertilized once, and I saw first-hand that an over-ferted plant never really recovers 100% no matter what you do right after the over-fert.

If I can find some FF Happy Frog, I'll bet I'll drop the 3-way FF mix and simplify even more by using just the one bag of Happy Frog.

The more I grow, the more I'm convinced that less is more, and that we just need to provide rich soil, good light and ventilation, and moderate nutrition, and let the plants do the rest. My philosophy has become: get out of the way and let the plant's genetics unfold and show us it's potential.

Here's my Bubba Kush clone, purchased from New Remedies on Mission St. in San Francisco (recently raided and shut down by the DEA). I grew this plant in a one-gallon container filled with the 3-way FF mix, with three feedings of FF Peace of Mind at around 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 6 weeks.

It was grown in my Ikea mini-cabinet, under 150w of compact fluorescents. I went to 12/12 straight from a puny clone, and topped the plant once.This plant was the skunkiest, stinkiest plant I've ever grown, but it was also the most productive, and the best tasting and most potent weed I've grown yet. I haven't smoked in over a month, so the potency was tested by a kid I know from work who is a major stoner. He was quite impressed by the taste and the potency...

Last edited:

judas cohen

Angel Eyes: Excellent Post! You said what I've been thinking much better than I can say it. I want to experience and understand what the old mix does before including the new improvents. Your pictures and story just reinforce my belief in what a fantastic mix MSM developed. I want to learn to walk comfortably before taking on running. (And I might just enjoy walking the trail that MSM blazed so much that running would be overkill. I might never feel the need to run, if walking the Old Road is as good as I anticipate.) But who knows...

Thanx a million, Angel Eyes, for taking the time to share your thoughts.

MoonShineMan: Nothing expressed above takes anything away from the Good Thing you've invented, or the "grow fun" and peace of mind it provides to so many of us personal stash reefer raisers. Every day I eagerly check this forum to see if you've posted anything new. (Viewer statistics confirm what I'm trying to say.)

I'm not out to win the Cannabis Cup, just smoke like the judges do. :yummy: (LOL) But if I were to enter the CC, ya' damn betcha' I would use your mix, and every improvement/tweak you come up with. If I used your seeds, I might just take Honorable Mention if I didn't win. Now that's a pretty cocky attitude for a grow nuthin'/know nuthin' newbie. :) LOL

On a more serious note, who's to say that the Road To The Cannabis Cup doesn't begin with the Original MoonShineMan Mix...? (5'll getcha' 10 that some viewer out there is thinkin' the same thing.) :chin:

Once the mix is dialed in, it becomes a question of genetics. By the time I fully understand why/how you came up with the strength/ingredients of the Super Tea, you will have probably moved on to the MSM Method of "Birds & Bees Cannabis-Crossing 101 For Dummies"! (I sure hope so.)

If/when you aint got nuthin' better to do, a run down on why BioBizz and Iguana rather than Alaska Fish and Jamaican Bat Guano, or whatever fert, would be much appreciated. Kind of like you explained the reasoning behind the original mix, and then the "lose the Light Warrior" thingie. (Knowing why is as important as knowing how to someone who wants to learn as well as grow.) Learning is half the fun.

First I'm gonna' learn what the original mix does. Second I'm gonna' recycle the soil and add the Super Tea tweak to see the difference. Third I'm gonna' grow some MSM strains. Life is simple!

mysta177

AEyes and JC- I do hear what your saying about KISS. I think MSM just tweaked it a lil to expermient what the hell...... He did say back at OG that he might try some diffrent shit. I have used the MSM and I used the happy frog my last grow. I had to add N 2nd week into flower using happyfrog and POM. The MSM was way better IMO. Im eager to try this new mix as soon as I get the funds. I do think that my next grow will be the old MSM. If MSM says its better I just have to see...........feel me. A.eyes Please keep us posted here on your grows havnt seen ya around the boards in a while.
Peace

Angel Eyes

Yeah, no criticism here at all about what Moonshine Man or anyone else is doing. I'm all for experimenting and keeping an open mind to change when it comes to growing this great plant. I like diversity in thought, so I love hearing from anybody about just about anything, as long as nobody is attacking anyone or trying to put others down.

That's why I've stuck with this thread so long. Just a bunch of people exchanging ideas and inspiration. Thanks, Mysta, for keeping it going like you have.

G

Hey Fellas....I hear ya on the simplicity...

I never thought the simplicity was in the simple mixing of 3 bags of substrate...

it was the simplicity in having to water with nothing but plain water......

.I have busted organics the better part of a decade and a half....it was my distaste for slimy stinky teas and "over guano'd btasting bud" that led me to develop the Mix and to tweak the mix about a half a dozen times......

My main reason for tinkering with the mix is ...after growing with this mix only for the better part of the last 5 years.... me and my brother felt we'd plateaued with the basic mix and it was time to move on....

Mine and his plants/nuggets became identical and were always lookin for ways to improve overall trich formation...personaly I dont care about yeild except yeild of overall THC glands...and the 2 feedings the plants are provided with add mega crystals.....

Moonshine

mysta177

Moonshineman said:
My main reason for tinkering with the mix is ...after growing with this mix only for the better part of the last 5 years.... me and my brother felt we'd plateaued with the basic mix and it was time to move on....

Mine and his plants/nuggets became identical and were always lookin for ways to improve overall trich formation...personaly I dont care about yeild except yeild of overall THC glands...and the 2 feedings the plants are provided with add mega crystals.....

Moonshine
YOU GOTTA lOVE UPDATES ON HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR GROW.........
AE- Oh yea I hear you bro and glad to see your along the same guidlines as me. Im a very opionated person and would like feed back on good or bad shit.
Im just a newbie looking for that bomb ass shit.
:chin: I know there has to be a couple of growers using this mix and entering it into contests. Just gotta be. I know Im going to try and enter the SSHxSourD in the cali cup!!!!!!!!
MSM-I appreciate you sharing info and updates to the mix. As long as you do this thread will never die. I just started to get into the nutes and shit. We came across purple maxx and gravity witch Im sure you have heard of. Im not kidding you this shit is wicked. It literally changes overnight. I mean the buds just gain so much trich I cant belive it. Look at jaydogg cali mist and unknown purp strain and youll see what im talking about. Have you tried this? And if you have what are your recommenditions on using it? I know that you dont give if the plants have ANY STRESS. It will hermie. Thanks again.

Ps. i missed the final bids but the prices were up there. I dont think I seen a pack of beans go under $100. That says a lot about the quality you bring. Especially when I see Breeders rave about your shit. I know the next batch should be pretty soon what strain do you have for a c13 grower?

Last edited:
G

what does it mean wen its "its mixed in a five gallon bucket?" im assuming thats full of ph'd water?

G

crapskater said:
what does it mean wen its "its mixed in a five gallon bucket?" im assuming thats full of ph'd water?

5 gallon bucket ...home depot orange....or walmart liberty flag....lol...

WHen I water (no matter with or without food) I fill up a 5 gallon bucket with Ph adjusted water.....

since my water from its source is perfectly PH'd I need no addjustment unless the lil bit of nutes swing it one way or the other.....

as long as the ph is 6.3-6.8....with or without food...yer fine...

you'll never see a recipe for a 1 gallon mix from me...lol...

Mysta...Ive heard of Gravity...its a minn/stpaul area favorite.....last couple of times Ive been offered it the clones were COATED in bugs....one day though....

Moonshine

mysta177

Moonshineman said:
Mysta...Ive heard of Gravity...its a minn/stpaul area favorite.....last couple of times Ive been offered it the clones were COATED in bugs....one day though....

Moonshine
This stuff is amazing and us peeps in cali are taking notice of this company. You can actually see a diffrence over night when applied. JD has used it and I have not but have seen what it does to his WOW. :yoinks:
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/Itemdesc.asp?ic=NEGGR08-2&eq=&Tp=

Last edited:
G

My version of Moonshine Mans mix - based on ingredient availability and broken down from parts into gallons.

1.5 gallons of Ocean Forest
1 gallon of Planting Mix
1 gallon Light Warrior
2 gallons of Happy Frog organic soil
1/2 gallon of Earth worm castings
2 coco Bricks ~ 2-3 gallons coco fiber
1.5-2 gallons of Perlite
1 tblsp per gallon Peace of Mind Fruit and flower

I then mix this with 1/3 Coco Fiber and 1/3 Perlite in a cement mixer. I feed with PBP and Sensizyme every watering. I use an organic bloom booster between weeks 3-7. Flush with sugar in the raw (1tsp per gallon) the last week.

More like the original mix I guess; complicated kinda - but effective and tasty.

mysta177

Strainehore- Nice mix bro....I used somthing to that effect on my last grow..... it was nice. I like the happy frog a lot (cheaper 2). Please post some pics if ya gots em.

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
cant wait to start this up... my high school buddy was telling me about this a couple years ago, its the only way he grows, but hes out in humbolt. it was indeed so phenomenal tasting bud though.

G

im reallly sorry, but my question didnt exactly get answered. maybe i shouldve worded it differently:

moonshineman said:
Feeding #1 mixed in a 5 gallon bucket
1tsp of Fish Mix (from Bio Bizz)
1Tblspn of Mother Earth Organic Tea grow (advanced Nutrients)
1tblspn of Mother Earth Tea Bloom (Advanced Nutrients)
1tblspn of Dr Hornbys Iguana Juice Bloom (Advanced Nutrients)

does this mean you fill the 5 gallon bucket full of water and add 1 teaspoon of fish mix, 1 TBL of mother earth organic Tea grow, etc... to the water?? then feed? is there any amount of time needed for it to "settle"?

and the coco bricks are broken up and added to the soil along with the POM ferts?

im planning an outdoor grow and therefore cannot transplant from veg to flower... so would it be ok for me to add all of it in the hole and feed from the 5 gallon bucket on the specified days?

sorry if anything is unclear...

judas cohen

Crapskater: Here's my understanding- If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me.

1) No need to flush, since grow is in organic soil and only a small amount of nutes are added on day 7 and day 30 of flower. Just PHed water as required. Simple!

2)Fluff coir with water and then add to the mix along with the POM.

3) You are correct on the amount of ferts to add to 5 gal of water. It is a weak tea. Notice that formula calls for 3 tbs+1 tsp per 5 gal of water on day 7 of flower; and 5 tbl per 5 gal of water on day 30. (Day 7 formula is different ratio than day 30 formula. This works out to about 1 tbl of nutes per gal of water- which is strength used by many growers.)

4) I have zero experience on outdoor growing, but what you plan to do should work fine. IMO

Hope this helps. JC

EDIT: RE: "time for tea to settle" That was not mentioned by MSM. My tapwater is PH 8.3. I PH to about 6.5 with cider vinegar and bubble for 24 hours with an air pump to aerate the water, evaporate the chlorine, and allow PH to stabilize. Probably not necessary, but I'm in no hurry and the pump does the work of mixing thoroughly.

If you're humping water to an outdoor grow, just the motion of walking would probably mix enough. It's my understanding that Earth Juice benefits from mixing 24 hours before using to allow the PH to stabilize; but I don't know if that applies to Advanced Nutrients. Probably not.

Last edited:

George

hey moonshine or anyone thats informed, what kind of a decrease of yield are we talkin about? i see you said 'im not concered about yield" and "people lookin for yield should look elsewhere" but say im growing an ak-47 with FFOF and pbp nutes that i feed regularly and get 3oz...by switching to the MSM... will that same AK yield 1.5oz now? is it THAT much of a yield decrease or is it just minimal? kind of a hard question to answer but i think someone will be able to give me an idea

mysta177

George- You can get any yield depending on the veg time. If you want more yield veg a lil longer. Im not sure what the yield would be but your using soil anyways so its not going to be dramatic. A good friend of mine grew jus in ffof and the yield was very similar.

Last edited:

George

mysta177 said:
George- You can get any yield depending on the veg time. If you want more yield veg a lil longer. Im not sure what the would be but is your using soil its not going to be dramatic. A good friend of mine grew jus in ffof and the yield was very similar.
well my goal right now is to get something around 1.25-1.5lb off 1k hps. ive seen quite a few articles in high times the best one being the 'big yields in small spaces' article. 25 plants of agood yielding strain, vegged 5 days(if i remember correctly), a 3x3 space, 1k hps, FFOF soil with metanaturals ferts and 1 gal grow bags, a good pruning (essentially an SOG)...the dude yields 30oz. so obviously its possible...but my main concern is, how much of a differenct am i going to see in yield from using an organic soil and pushing my plants with ferts versus using the MSM and letting them do their own thing?

btw: i was tryin to piece your sentence together a little cause i cant understand if your saying total yield isnt gonna be dramatic in soil anyways or if your sayin my yield wont suffer dramatically.

thnks for the help man

Last edited:
G

I can get better yeilds than some of my hydro bros....but I do have a couple of "Jedi" hydro growers I know who can pump 2L+ per K everytime.....

George, for most folks starting out in this mix can diminish yeilds simply due to the fact most people overwater their plants in this mix....Once you get the feel for how long the plants can substain themselves with and without water in the mix youll see yur yeilds increase dramaticaly....

for me its been very hard to judge exactly how my yeilds were being affected or benifitting , mainly due to the overwhelming diversity of strains I grow at one time....since everything I do is for my own head I dont have a "commercial" strain that I do lots of....

talk about timing, I was in the middle of a comparison grow.....as an expierment I am doing 2 whole rounds of one of my favorite decent yeilding strains (much like your AK, George) using the updated mix and two feedings during flower.under 2K.....I chose to do 2 rounds to see if there are any differences between a "first run fresh dirt" and a "Recycled with amnedments" round......the plants are all being vegged to 18-20" with 4 to 6 leads apiece....

Its the first time in a real long time I feel my carbon scrubber and 2 ozone generators cant cover the smell.....

Ill let ya know how it turns out but so far Im guessing an easy L and 3/4 of a L....off the "fresh" round..per each K.

Msm

Last edited:
G

For those that asked - I didn't notice this mix getting any more deficient in N than any other mix I have tried. But I do feed them every watering too. I haven't pulled any down using this new mix, but I will follow up with results.

Latest posts

Latest posts