What's new

Molecular Sieve Filter

Sirdizz

Ok eyes are going cross. Ah to sieve or not to sieve. Well already sieving. Got a new pump and they sold them with it saying it works in place of the filter dryer. After Suns findings not too sure if it's a good idea now. Has anybody else had an issue with finding dust? He what are your thoughts on the dust factor?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok eyes are going cross. Ah to sieve or not to sieve. Well already sieving. Got a new pump and they sold them with it saying it works in place of the filter dryer. After Suns findings not too sure if it's a good idea now. Has anybody else had an issue with finding dust? He what are your thoughts on the dust factor?

There is clearly enough dust in mol sieve, to boil up when you pour it out of the bag. You can de-dust it by loading it in a skinny column and blowing air through it. We place the mol sieve between filter packs.

The get dusty baking and handling them, so you have to de-dust ever regeneration.

Mueller, Sporlan, Emmerson, and others all make a #48 molded inserts in different compositions, which don't get dusty.

Sunfire

Veteran
Found a deal on a twin pack of Dan fross 48 cubic inch 100% molecular sieve cores on ebay a while ago. Like 12 dollars or something. But you have to get the shell, which also you can find way good deals on ebay for. They were regenerated about 3 times before I sold the system and started building rosin presses. Still is good to blow em out a little after regeneration.

Has anyone tried the Sporlan C-164-HH filters? or Sporlan C-083HH? It has charcoal style core for wax removal and clean- up after a hermetic motor burnout.

Sunfire

Veteran
Well what would you want that for? Liquid line filtration going into the pot for a distillation?

You can find all sorts of ratios of carbon/alumina/molecular sieve. Alumina is mainly for clean up of acids, hold very little moisture.

Problem with running a drier filter shell in liquid phase is that it will trap a lot of liquid, might be hard to clear out.

Well what would you want that for? Liquid line filtration going into the pot for a distillation?

You can find all sorts of ratios of carbon/alumina/molecular sieve. Alumina is mainly for clean up of acids, hold very little moisture.

Problem with running a drier filter shell in liquid phase is that it will trap a lot of liquid, might be hard to clear out.

for the gas, I still use the Sporlan C-083 filter after my molecular sieve to stop dust and protect pump, but I never noticed ones with charcoal and wasn't sure if the actually clean gas?

Sunfire

Veteran
They will help clean liquid phase for sure. People use spent material mixed with activated carbon to help scrub the contaminants when they do a distillation.

In gas phase idk if it will help at all. I still say if clean gas is acquired and properly distilled, it should be a non issue.

It would be cheaper and easier to just pack a spool you already have with spent material and carbon to scrub the liquid. Large shells and cores can be costly.

Sirdizz

How long do those sporlands last? Someone was trying to tell me they're only good for a few runs at best. How many lbs can u run through them before changing?

Sunfire

Veteran
The 48 cubic inch pure molecular sieve will hold a bit of moisture. They weigh like 600 grams, more I think really. But with 10% being binder let's just say 600 grams. Molecular sieve can hold 20% Its weight, you do the math lol. The rcw48 hold very little, you gotta go pure molecular sieve for gas phase drier. Smaller ones will hold less obvioisly. The removable core design allows for many regenerations.

Sporlan once told me that they will only pull out half the moisture on each pass depending slightly on saturation! Some people use one on each side of the pump. You'll always get some in the tank so I just ran mine down to 4 pounds or so (100# tank) then purged the atmoshpere and set her up side down and just blasted out the remaining tane and moisture. This gets way more out then letting it sit upside down and below freezing for multiple days. And it's quicker and easier, you get to vac down and start with a fresh 48#s of tane everyday!

Gtir

I've seen it discussed lightly here but I was thinking of Filling the 2inch column between my material column and my collection chamber with molecular sieve beads, then sending the solvent/concentrate mix through, are their any problems associated with this?

Also doesn't pulling a vaccum on the whole system when recovering evaporate water from the beads?

Any strategies on the best placement for the sieve?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I've seen it discussed lightly here but I was thinking of Filling the 2inch column between my material column and my collection chamber with molecular sieve beads, then sending the solvent/concentrate mix through, are their any problems associated with this?

Also doesn't pulling a vaccum on the whole system when recovering evaporate water from the beads?

Any strategies on the best placement for the sieve?

Actually its been discussed in great depth...

You DONT send solvent through a molecular filter....

Spend the time to read the whole thread and take in ALL the info....

Gtir

I just read he whole thread. What do you mean you don't send solvent through? Isn't the purpose to pull moisture from the solvent??

jswick93

I believe dust pickup is a larger issue when running liquid solvent through molecular sieve versus vapor. I still use small sporlan catch alls pre-pump and larger sporlan catch alls post-pump. I regularly place them in my oven @ 200°F max @ full vac overnight and invert my chilled tank for an hour every few runs to crack the vapor valve for a sec and I have zero moisture issues. Ive almost moved to sieve over and over, but i do not believe theyre the best option. I am still interested in the cyclone filter by Pharmgold, but it carries a $1000 price tag.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I just read he whole thread. What do you mean you don't send solvent through? Isn't the purpose to pull moisture from the solvent??

I believe dust pickup is a larger issue when running liquid solvent through molecular sieve versus vapor. I still use small sporlan catch alls pre-pump and larger sporlan catch alls post-pump. I regularly place them in my oven @ 200°F max @ full vac overnight and invert my chilled tank for an hour every few runs to crack the vapor valve for a sec and I have zero moisture issues. Ive almost moved to sieve over and over, but i do not believe theyre the best option. I am still interested in the cyclone filter by Pharmgold, but it carries a $1000 price tag.

You run VAPOR through a sieve, NOT solvent...

Gtir

If butane is heavier than air and sinks to the ground wouldn't I flood a molecular sieve w butane gas from the bottom up and not the top down for maximum saturation? Or do thing a change because of the vaccum ?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Hi Y'all! Just checked in for the first time in a while and this was the first new post!

Latest posts

Latest posts