What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Molecular Sieve Filter

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dang it this thread just died eh. Everyone still enjoying their molecular sieves?

We switched to less dusty and messy refrigeration dual molded #48 zeolite filter drier inserts, inside a stainless case that we make out of sanitary tubes, and install on the input to the pump.

The case has a tangent intake, to minimize direct impingement on the filter inserts. We've already gotten feedback regarding pumps saved, despite an operator ooops.

It is also easier to service on the inlet side, because you don't have to recover it first.

Sunfire

Veteran
We switched to less dusty and messy refrigeration dual molded #48 zeolite filter drier inserts, inside a stainless case that we make out of sanitary tubes, and install on the input to the pump.

The case has a tangent intake, to minimize direct impingement on the filter inserts. We've already gotten feedback regarding pumps saved, despite an operator ooops.

It is also easier to service on the inlet side, because you don't have to recover it first.

That was the conclusion I came to in this thread like a year and a half ago. Those 48 cubic inch cores are bonded with kaolin and phosphate and are way less dusty and can be recharged in a vac oven. Took some experimenting and weighing of the cores but eventually I figured out how many runs I could do before recharging them. You can also stack those cores and make larger ones.

I remember when I was calling around and talking to engineers of the manufacturers, one of them said they only get a certain percentage on one pass. And the more they soak up, the less they keep soaking up. I never did it but I thought having 2 of them inline would be sweet.

I remember crunching the numbers and the 100% molecular sieve cores held more water. I believe the zeolite is used to trap other contaminants in AC systems. There are several formulas for trapping several things buy since we were only concerned with water I had thought (could be wrong) the 100% molecular sieve ones retained more.

I scored a box of new ones from the manufacturer danfross on ebay. They were super cheap, like 12 bucks each or something. If you keep an eye out you can get a good deal. I would still blast em with the air hose everytime before inserting them into the housing, just to be sure to get off anything that might have rattled loose.

Sirdizz

Havent changed it out after 20lb extracted. Think I will change it out this next run...

No issues with the insulation breaking down? I just think of the stuff in dry wall and how it breaks down a bit. Maybe a little different though?..

Definetely liking the dual insert mold idea though seems simple and clean.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
No issues with the insulation breaking down? I just think of the stuff in dry wall and how it breaks down a bit. Maybe a little different though?..

Definetely liking the dual insert mold idea though seems simple and clean.

I changed it out and noticed zero difference from the new and old..

It did hold back a lot of dust....

Think I had too much of it in my sieve and decided to go with about 8" of it, instead of the 18" I had. Recovery is about 20% faster now...

Sirdizz

Nice I'll probably try this first but wouldn't mind trying the sieve. Anyone know a good place to get the inserts?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice I'll probably try this first but wouldn't mind trying the sieve. Anyone know a good place to get the inserts?

I get our inserts from RSD refrigeration supply.

prune

Veteran
hmm, couldn't find the msds on the indicating beads but when i checked the SDS on the standard beads i was alarmed to find the warning that there is 3% crystalline quartz dust which is a class 1 carcinogen?

Trinity541

Do you know anywhere we could buy some of these SS setups you're describing setup and ready to go? If not, could you possibly provide more detailed plans/instructions on assembling them ourselves?:thank you:

Trinity541

That was the conclusion I came to in this thread like a year and a half ago. Those 48 cubic inch cores are bonded with kaolin and phosphate and are way less dusty and can be recharged in a vac oven. Took some experimenting and weighing of the cores but eventually I figured out how many runs I could do before recharging them. You can also stack those cores and make larger ones.

I remember when I was calling around and talking to engineers of the manufacturers, one of them said they only get a certain percentage on one pass. And the more they soak up, the less they keep soaking up. I never did it but I thought having 2 of them inline would be sweet.

I remember crunching the numbers and the 100% molecular sieve cores held more water. I believe the zeolite is used to trap other contaminants in AC systems. There are several formulas for trapping several things buy since we were only concerned with water I had thought (could be wrong) the 100% molecular sieve ones retained more.

I scored a box of new ones from the manufacturer danfross on ebay. They were super cheap, like 12 bucks each or something. If you keep an eye out you can get a good deal. I would still blast em with the air hose everytime before inserting them into the housing, just to be sure to get off anything that might have rattled loose.

Sunfire, when using th e48 cu. in. cores, did you use a custom SS housing like GW described, or something off the shelf?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you know anywhere we could buy some of these SS setups you're describing setup and ready to go? If not, could you possibly provide more detailed plans/instructions on assembling them ourselves?:thank you:

I would be happy to, but the WolfWurx IP was acquired by a individual whom would most probably take umbrage, though as far as I know isn't building any.

Pharmgold e-mails are closed, so suggest that you contact him at James@timbercon.com to inquire, and then if not, build your own.

Please let me know if James declines and we can discuss other options further.

Latest posts

Latest posts