What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern pot dosen't taste as good.

Skip

Veteran
There are a lot of issues raised here.

IMO, the old strains were all crossbred by humans over thousands of years to produce whatever results they desired from the plant. They are not original wild genetics, I'm pretty sure.

I think VanXant is saying that was fine because of the way they bred the plants back then. They had the luxury of growing hundreds if not thousands of plants for seeds at a time, and thus they could pick from a LARGER POPULATION, the best traits to carry on to the next generation.

Today the same thing is being done, but from a much smaller population because we have so many restrictions on growing these days. And therefore the gene pool available to any one breeder is more restricted and the overall genetic quality may be declining, esp. for the elite varieties.

Plus the fact that so many of these breeder plants are now grown indoors vs. outdoors is also lessening their overall genetic strength because of the lack of stress. This can be likened to being overly protective of children. If you never let them fend for themselves and make their own decisions, they never learn how and are therefore at a disadvantage when thrown out into the real world. Can we apply that to seed breeding?

VanXant, have you ever seen a large seed operation (like the Dutch have) in action? I would assume that they are using many hundreds of plants in their genetic experiments and selecting the best out of those for breeding.

And yes, I was just waiting for the Nazi shoe to drop (it does in nearly 10% of online threads I think). That is a moral issue that deserves another thread (when discussing human genetics). However, we cannot deny that most of our agricultural products have been manipulated by humans over the course of millennia.

So the bottom line is that the best breeders are going to choose their next generations from hundreds of potential candidates, not just a few. That fact has never changed over the course of history.

K

kopite

have you ever seen a large seed operation (like the Dutch have) in action? I would assume that they are using many hundreds of plants in their genetic experiments and selecting the best out of those for breeding.

why do you assume all the dutch grow like this ? I don't think they do.. assumptions are the mother of all F**k ups

Kopite

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
It's like saying "Soda floats tasted better back in the day", of course the majority of 7-11 ice cream floats may be shitty, but you can find a good one if you look and PAY a bit more. Maybe the thread should be titled "You just can't find great strains available like they used to." or "Man, there are alot of different strains now, and I can't find my Acapulco Gold no more..."

why do you assume all the dutch grow like this ?

No one assumed that, you quoted him asking if anyone saw a big Dutch grow, that's it, he never said they were ALL like that LMAO! Read people..

Skip

Veteran
why do you assume all the dutch grow like this ? I don't think they do.. assumptions are the mother of all F**k ups

Kopite
Where did I say that ALL DUTCH grow like that? I'm talking about the big breeders. Do YOU know what they do?

You're the one making assumptions about what I said.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
8 pages and 115 posts...boy have I got my homework ahead of me...but may I just say before reading all that..this 54 year old long time smoker just finished some REz Strawbeery Coucg/Kush and it is excelent, very unique, satisfying. One thing is clear to me..there are many different tastes available now and everyone should be able to find something they like...or something very very close to what they used to smoke back then...respect...DD

Last edited:
K

kopite

No one assumed that, you quoted him asking if anyone saw a big Dutch grow, that's it, he never said they were ALL like that LMAO! Read people..

the very next line of the quote used was
I would assume that they are using many hundreds of plants in their genetic experiments and selecting the best out of those for breeding.

that contains the word assume does it not..

Where did I say that ALL DUTCH grow like that? I'm talking about the big breeders. Do YOU know what they do?

I don't believe all "big" breeders do that but thats just my thoughts

Where did I say that ALL DUTCH grow like that?

VanXant, have you ever seen a large seed operation (like the Dutch have) in action?

to me it implies it's exclusive to the dutch. If i've taken it wrong I apologuise

assumptions are the mother of all F**k ups

that was just a ref to a film...

VanXant

Skip, you have it almost right. Thanks for your post.

Land race farmers of yesterday did select from large populations. They did not select ONE plant or even a FEW from the population, they selected many plants. This kept cannabis genetics strong and viable.
Cannabis is an outcrossing species;something that is LOST in the translation to most modern day pot enthusiasts. Its actually the most important aspect people should be taking into account when they choose to engage cannabis in a breeding program, and most people dont even know WTF youre talking about when you say cannabis is an outcrosser.
Species that evolve as wind-blown outcrossers REQUIRE genetic diversity to maintain population health as well as individual health. There are practices and breeding methods that should be followed to maintain genetic diversity while steering a population toward the goal. This is not done in ONE cross or TWO. This is not done by growing out 12,000 plants and then choosing a mere 2 to carry on the population.

It is my understanding from talking to people who have seen these so-called seed breeding ops in Holland and other Euro locales that the seed operations they photograph of big greenhouses of plants are nothing more than a commercial POT factory with some seedmaking on the side. The word is that they are not doing the kind of work required to make real seedline improvements. And WHY WOULD THEY? Why grow thousands of plants over many years only to produce one single variety? Today's seed buyers dont know the difference between an unstable polyhybrid and a real F1 Hybrid anyway.
You could literally off your bagseeds for 150 a pack in this unregulated free-for-all of a seed industry, and youd have happy pot growers the world over..just like we have now. You dont have to make a strain to sell potseeds. you just have to make seeds.
And it is well understood now, how they find a select plant to enter in the HighTime Cannabis Cup, then sell unstable polyhybrid siblings with the SAME VARIETY NAME, but with very little chances of recovering a Cup winning plant from a seed purchase. This is because they will not do years of recurrent selection, when one cross in the greenhouse, and a good advertisement wows the typical seed buyer.
Shit, amateur breeding scenarios are even worse. They select the best of 3-5 plants at best, and this is what WE allow. totally assinine!

The real bottom line is that we should start seeing things a little more long-term, and by that I mean longer than the 3 weeks it takes to mature some hack seeds.
Landraces are polluted and no longer pure;all the variety we had 50 years ago is now related by descent and suffering inbreeding;modern cannabis plant breeders just want instant gratification , they generally do not care about genetic conservation and do not understand what they are doing. They dont even get it that they are not going to make any seedline improvements without doing it right.
We have to stop this trend of mass genetic erosion before we have lost the potential for seedline improvements in the future.

Neuromancer

8-race card? Youre not serious? ...Analogies? You know what those are right???

Yes, I'm familiar with analogies, …Humor, you know what that is right???
The mo-betta theory of genetics is pretty funny.

Also, you guys dont seem to understand that most of the hybridized strains today have some of the "legends" you speak of in their heritage. Its just like you, me, and everyone else. I am a mix of races, Infact I am like 8 different races. What you guys are talking about is like sorta like nazism for cannabis. haha Not really, but what your trying to say is that all of the great strains of today are garbage. Thats ridiculous.

This is basically the blending theory, an early biological hypotheses about genetic inheritance based on speculation.
It was disproven around 1866 with some of the first scientific genetic experiments.

Nazis used to want to "preserve important genetics" which is why they did selective breeding in Nazi germany at a time and didnt allow people to mix races. You cant see the analogy? I shouldnt even have to explain it. haha

Selective breeding is a fundamental tool used in agriculture and animal husbandry that has had a tremendous impact on civilization. It thought to have started as far back as the Mesolithic Period.
Trying to link the selective breeding of plants with eugenics is beyond bizarre.

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
hieagl420, Im storing seeds so that ALL the genetic material in them that exists now is retained and not lost through further poor breeding. Its a personally-proven fact that cannabis seeds store for DECADES with 100% viability.
If I were to open a seedlot, I would germinate 500+ and make an open pollination of all the good plants so that it is 'refreshed', with purposefully minimized gene loss. I dont even need to open seedlots; I have proven clones that do everything that seedlots can do -in every area of interest. So should you. Clones that exist now do not facilitate the erosion of the gene pool. Poor seedmaking practices do.

cool.. that is how it should be done, but the all the cop and heli's you just cant do that big of a scale.. i mean i would love to be able to plant a 500 plant plot to do breeding selecting the very best females and males.. maye one day it will be legal here to do that ... hell i would settle for 200 plants in a green house enviroment.. Keep It Green and Stay Safe..HE

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I was just out in Yellowstone and smelled some Wild Yaro that was incredibly strong and rich.

I've smelled lots of Yaro before but nothing like this. It made me think that it was more than likely a combination of the soil, air, water, and light it received in yellowstone.

It was crazy. Some other patches I found did not smell nearly as strong.

So it's not just about the lights, nutrients, and strain for me. Some areas just produce phenomenal product.

Maybe because of where certain herb was being grown the soil, water, and air combined to make an extremely distinct product.

Not sure. Just my 2 cents.

G

grasspass

Taste and smell are easier to remember than most things. I haven't smelled a pig farm in many years but if I smelled one again I could tell you what it was . The stuff I buy now does not taste as good as Colombian Gold did. The last bag I just bought nowadays smells like grape cool aid in the bag and has no flavor when smoked! Smooth, medical, butt kicking , and no flavor. [ I don't really care anyway, I don't use herb for the flavor.]

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember distinctly the taste and smell of gold and red bud pots.
I was lucky enough to have regular connections for columbian gold bud and red bud (c red my all time favorite pot) as well as the occasional mexican gold, for several years. I'd say from 1974 to 1982-3, when it all dropped off for whatever reason.
My "mentors" would always grow out the seeds from these fine stocks, and were never able to match the bud they came from. Main reason is the growing season we had was not near what they have in SA or Mex. The buds never really got to finish out like they did in their natural environment. Although at that time, we really didn't look at it as a photo period, ripening thing..we just felt they didn't grow well in our soil. Although they DID produce some great smoke, it was always apparent that it was what we always called "homegrown".
And during that period of time, the term homegrown meant a sub-standard hay tasting weed. I am now of firm belief that if we would have been able to actually finish some of those old plants, they would have produced bud much more akin to their parents. They probably only saw half of their growing season.

In the late 70's, we always thought the best thing to do was to let our plants finish until the first frost hit them. The myth was that it made the weed taste better and be stronger. The reality of that situation was that the ones let go long enough to see the first frost were the closest to being ripe, and had nothing at all to do with the frost. It was the TIME that was the factor...we simply didn't put 2 and 2 together properly. But dammit we were growing pot when others only dreamed of it!

It is easy to find weed that recreates the buzz of yesturyear, but the smell and taste seem to be elusive.

G

grasspass

We planted Colombian gold seed outdoor in mid west at 45 degrees lat in 1979 and it never even showed its sex before frost killed them in the fall . Seed from the red bud stuff just started to show sex before frost killed them and the leaves would get you high.

VanXant

hieagle,

That kind of scale can be done, but nobody gives a shit if you spend 10 years breeding it..If you do spend the time and effort on developing a new variety, your improved seedline will be hacked and over-hybridized in a matter of months(supported by seed distributors) and you will be cut out of your work. Thats what this industry supports..cutthroat hackjobs and poor amateur work. No wonder cannabis is suffering.
Generally, seed buyers are happy to get seeds in their mailbox that even turn into cannabis plants, let alone something with stability and improved traits. Seedmakers dont want you to find elites in their work because cloning will kill off their seed scam.

Who said you/we HAVE TO be breeding anyway? Thats just some idea people have and a bad one at that. Simply storing seed and growing out the small samples of the amateur hackjobs is better than further genetic erosion. The only kind of breeding that can be done is poor breeding and we cant afford that. Theres been more erosion of the gene pool in 50 years than mutation can replenish!
This free-for-all we have now is doing nothing but making under-achieving seedlings, making seed dealers money, and eroding the drug gene pool. We need to UNDERSTAND what we are doing, we need to store them properly and wait until we are able to open them on a large scale, so we have something to work with in the future besides eroded inbreds with no potential for improvement.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
cant tell ya bout weed from 25 years back
but i can say im just about 25 and im smoking mexi comercial
annnnd well it just dont taste the same as what i useta grow

Tolpan

You flatter yourself. I didnt erase it buddy. It was removed by someone else. Im glad you saw it before it was pulled to protect you.

apparently you calling me an idiot is cool, but me telling you to sprout the seeds you got from your mom isnt..lol

Do YOU have anything more to enlighten us on the subject of the thread? im guessing FK NO.

Respect VanXant! You know a lot bro!

Great attitude!!!!

Sorry for my bad english, otherwise I would write more in this thread but I only wanted to say I work in the gardening business for a couple of years running my own business, and thats quite a few acres of work!
And one thing I'm not here for arguing or talking bullshit! If I don't know much about a topic I keep my mouth shot!
And that would be better for some small minded folks, that know nothing!

Cheers

Skip

Veteran
I remember distinctly the taste and smell of gold and red bud pots.
I was lucky enough to have regular connections for columbian gold bud and red bud (c red my all time favorite pot) as well as the occasional mexican gold, for several years. I'd say from 1974 to 1982-3, when it all dropped off for whatever reason.
My "mentors" would always grow out the seeds from these fine stocks, and were never able to match the bud they came from. Main reason is the growing season we had was not near what they have in SA or Mex. The buds never really got to finish out like they did in their natural environment. Although at that time, we really didn't look at it as a photo period, ripening thing..we just felt they didn't grow well in our soil. Although they DID produce some great smoke, it was always apparent that it was what we always called "homegrown".
And during that period of time, the term homegrown meant a sub-standard hay tasting weed. I am now of firm belief that if we would have been able to actually finish some of those old plants, they would have produced bud much more akin to their parents. They probably only saw half of their growing season.

In the late 70's, we always thought the best thing to do was to let our plants finish until the first frost hit them. The myth was that it made the weed taste better and be stronger. The reality of that situation was that the ones let go long enough to see the first frost were the closest to being ripe, and had nothing at all to do with the frost. It was the TIME that was the factor...we simply didn't put 2 and 2 together properly. But dammit we were growing pot when others only dreamed of it!

It is easy to find weed that recreates the buzz of yesturyear, but the smell and taste seem to be elusive.
You are so right! You've also explained away a couple of urban myths there too. We sure have learned a lot about growing pot since then. :)

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
i didnt grow 25 years ago but i puffed, and id say weed is the same that 99 percent of people smoke, im glad im in the top 99 pecentage who smokes the best weed in the world, thanks to icmag

Tennessee

PHENOmenal-

the weed you smoked was so great because it had time and proper procedure to be bred for its perfect PHENO type, as hoosierdaddy's great post has attempted to point out.

our "dutch passion" grows great for us cause its been more and less bred in "our" environment; the realm of PPM and HPS ---

this, "level of quality" is available to ANY MJ plant if grown at ITS OWN right environment

VanXant makes really good fucking points if you were to ask me(a lot of points I wish I would type out and discuss on,but I don't think I'll be adding too much new things to the table so i'll save my breath) and frankly I'm sure a lot of people would NOT stick their opinion out there on this subject, on account of not wanting to let go of their role as seed industry kiss-ass ... so not to be offensive or anything here, just trying to put some things together...

What VanXant said about the GN polyhybrids coming into the equatorial areas I'm sure chimed in some of our noggins... and I'm sure GN isn't all cutthroat and about money as some would like to make it out, eh?(he sounds like a really nice guy, and I'm also being general when I point out the Gypsy there are more seed "pushers" then Gypsy, but hell, he has been pretty instrumental in spreading cannabis genes in our generation-whether you look at it half empty or half full doubtless GN is instrumental....) but VanXants argument MAKES SENSE TO ME
(edit:I think that the role of "closet breeders" shouldn't be so hum ho however, there are many seed lines I shouldn't name for fear of leaving out any one of our beloved community members; they are bringing quite a stock beyond the "dutch polyhybrid" to seedbay and the world in whole)

I think things could get out of hand, very seriously, and to the rash detail that VanXant is trying to explain, if the cannabis market was left to the standards of ---money, money, money--- which is doubtlessly inevitable -

---BUT the only PRECAUTIOUS to take and the things WE can do NOW is to do exactly what VanXant is trying to tell you to do --understand-- and the more we can attempt to understand this issue, the better we will be able to CREATE a future of understanding , and SUSTAIN the network of self proclaimed connoisseurs so that in the future we can work multiply the understanding instead of caving into the inevitable pressure of seed, weed, and greed...(that would be a good film the history of seedbanking before a lot of the "golden tidbits" are lost in translation or just plain lost.)

I've had an idea.... doubtlessly, future genetic science will allow us to create in vitro plants at a cheap degree ,

any and all seeds(the older the better) should be stored properly until THIS moment of science; we need to make sure no more of these 30+ year old DNA that don't germinate get tossed----so much genetic material is quite literally lost

if you have these old seeds from your dad or moms stash , they should be saved until these advances in science are upon us IMO to best secure their ability to REENTER the gene pool..... :2cents: