What's new

Mites with two weeks left in flower...

RetroGrow

Veteran
take into consideration any brand of potting soil are mixed *outside* and the individual ingredients are sourced
from *natural sources* in nature so bugs getting in your soil is something thats to be expected.
depending on the time of year when unwanted garden pests may be in their *bloom* time any and all potting soils will have unwanted garden pests.
if your happy with your soil but got a load of unwanted whatever bugs just give it time to pass, and it will.
for the smaller soil/grower pasteurization of your soil is a a very viable option.
a few hrs @ 165F kills all bugs and weed seeds
i did it the 1st year I grew indoors.
depending on what your resources are to do this it can be very easy to time consuming

Agree, but won't that also kill bennies?

S

SooperSmurph

i didn't mean use vinegar to spray in bloom,
I would only give that a try in veg.
I assumed since this thread is about helping nickman with late flower mites, my bad.

Going to test the apple juice and see if it at least kills the adults.

the gnome

Veteran
Agree, but won't that also kill bennies?

i don't know retro, if your 100% organic it may be an issue.
if the bene's are type of bugs it would.
pasturization kills things like weed seeds, bugs and they're eggs.
BUT
when utilizing pasturization in casings for mushrooms
the idea is to kill the bugs/eggs that will cause you grief.
but its important not to over shoot the 165F temps by too much because you'll wipe out everything in the medium, whether it be soil or peat that combats and keeps in check things like the dreaded trichodermia that can take over the entire casing if all the beneficial good guy competitors are killed
and they are a counter balance in the micro eco system.

so 165F is selective about what it eliminates, whether that is a beni to the soil for growing plants or not I can't say

growing mushrooms is much like organic growing plants,
they still both rely on micro organisims to carry out their
specific needs

I assumed since this thread is about helping nickman with late flower mites, my bad.

Going to test the apple juice and see if it at least kills the adults.
yeah, I got a bit sidetracked after the apple juice post :)

the gnome

Veteran
I wouldn't use NoPest strips anytime, veg or bloom, shit is poison and you will be eating it.

well to each his own.
but odds are you've already eaten dichlorvos gas if that's possible.
it is listed for use as a control in food storage areas and many commercial food storage places down to restraunts use it

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
it is listed for use as a control in food storage areas and many commercial food storage places down to restraunts use it
Yes, it is.

Again... boxes and bins don't breathe. Potatoes sitting on a shelf don't breathe.

Should not be used in areas with people, kids or pets... they breathe. So do plants and cannabis is excellent at absorbing chemicals.

So... use them for your own meds if you like, but be sure to let others know before they use them.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

the gnome

Veteran
use it or don't. fine with me.
as I said to each his own.
nps are also listed for use in spaces inhabited place by humans up to 4 hours.
like food storage spaces for instance.
with the way our Govt. run dept of EPA extremist operate on whats in hand lotions,
realistically there's no way they would allow NPS to be used the way they are
listed for.
LOL
they love to ban anything remotely dangerous for 2" guppies in a creek in the sierra nevada's :D

joeblow81

ill put in my 2 cents.

i tend to agree with hydro soil guy. and i think heat will harm plants. ive seen it. i dont like chemical strips cuz common sense says the plant will absorb some of the chemical and i grow organically.

imo. the only way to get rid of mites is to spend whatever time is needed to remove all adult mites and any leaves with a sign of a mite (damage or eggs) adult mites lay tons of eggs and they are the ones that are easiest to see. im tellin ya, the best way is to put in the work. no way to get rid of them with a strip or a spray. pull off any affected leaves and chop any branches that are too infested to save...then once you harvest them, you better be like a surgeon, not letting any of them fuckers or their eggs transfer onto other shit.

it really takes some strict cleanliness

coupled with thick neem, protek and castile soap.

how i got rid of my a few years back anywho.....

oejack9

I have 2 cents for this one....SNS 217 my grow shop gave me a bottle last year.....and it really worked well....it should take 2 applications the second one about 7-10 days after the first and I'm not having a geriatric moment....i want to say you use right up to a day before harvest...I think is rosemarry oil and a one or to other botanical......I also have use their anti rust product both indoors and out.....SNS makes a nice effective product line...and in the past I've also diatomatious earth...very effective on a a bunch of things....ok so maybe I had 3 cents.