What's new

Mites with two weeks left in flower...

the gnome

Veteran
I did a hot water dunk for 15min @111F
as per univ. minnesota extension servicesfor broad mites--> 109.4-120.2
these cuttings were in cups of water for 14 days and were showing the signs of BM saliva's toxicity,
so they were stressed pretty good already and looking pretty ragged.
about 70% lived.

if they had been healthy I think id a had a better survival rate,
I would still try one at 1st and see what happens, and try the lower temp range listed 1st

but as retro said, I wouldn't do this to plants in flower.
its too easy to do the hot air treatment imo

Last edited:
S

SooperSmurph

Question, since the active ingredient in Mighty Wash is actually electrolyzed water, what exactly is causing this mysterious "residual taste" people are speaking of? Simply the coloring agent?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Don't know, don't care.

Lots of tap-water I wouldn't drink...maybe it's the same thing? Really no clue.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

S

SooperSmurph

Don't know, don't care.

Lots of tap-water I wouldn't drink...maybe it's the same thing? Really no clue.

If mightywash were making their product with some minorly contaminated water source that'd be a fun little scandal :thinking:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
LOL...

I don't use liquid miracle grow products for that reason (not taste)... the last few times they've created slime in the mini-hydro systems I was using. The rooting powder caused mold. Used that rooting powder twice, from two different states. Threw it away both times because I got the same mold. Off-topic though. lol

Yes, I guess I spoke too soon... I would like to know what it is that makes it 'off' for me. Especially like to know if it's only a few batches of the stuff or what?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Mighty Wash is nothing but "ionized water"--some say it has agricultural value, others say it is snake oil. Some health fanatics swear by it...which makes sense, especially after forking over a $4k for an "under the counter water treatment device".

My gut/mind/heart says, "a quart of 99.8% water should not cost $12". Can you see a farmer spraying acres of fields with Mighty Wash...lol.

FlamingFlowers

Oxidate

Oxidate

An oxidate solution of 40 to 1 (oxidate-water) and spray being sure to get the undersides of the leaves. It is safe to use during flower even up to 24 hours before cutting.

nickman

Veteran
I'm still trying to figure out how I got the mites in the 1st.place...I think that it was the bag of ocean forest fox farm soil... That was the only different thing that I did this time and the plant that was in that soil was the only plant to get them... How can that be... I'm curious... Well I seemed to have kept their population down to only seeing a few here and there... I just hope after I harvest this girl. Tomorrow that these little buggers will be gone... I'm gonna give the room a good cleaning as well... Thank to all who helped and all the replies...

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Monsanto bought out Fox Farm... (edit: sorry, should have checked... apparently someone started a rumor)

Plan on not using their products in the future anyway. Probably the bag, usually infected during 'storage'.

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
I'm still trying to figure out how I got the mites in the 1st.place...I think that it was the bag of ocean forest fox farm soil... That was the only different thing that I did this time and the plant that was in that soil was the only plant to get them... How can that be... I'm curious... Well I seemed to have kept their population down to only seeing a few here and there... I just hope after I harvest this girl. Tomorrow that these little buggers will be gone... I'm gonna give the room a good cleaning as well... Thank to all who helped and all the replies...

take into consideration any brand of potting soil are mixed *outside* and the individual ingredients are sourced
from *natural sources* in nature so bugs getting in your soil is something thats to be expected.
depending on the time of year when unwanted garden pests may be in their *bloom* time any and all potting soils will have unwanted garden pests.
if your happy with your soil but got a load of unwanted whatever bugs just give it time to pass, and it will.
for the smaller soil/grower pasteurization of your soil is a a very viable option.
a few hrs @ 165F kills all bugs and weed seeds
i did it the 1st year I grew indoors.
depending on what your resources are to do this it can be very easy to time consuming

nickman

Veteran
take into consideration any brand of potting soil are mixed *outside* and the individual ingredients are sourced
from *natural sources* in nature so bugs getting in your soil is something thats to be expected.
depending on the time of year when unwanted garden pests may be in their *bloom* time any and all potting soils will have unwanted garden pests.
if your happy with your soil but got a load of unwanted whatever bugs just give it time to pass, and it will.
for the smaller soil/grower pasteurization of your soil is a a very viable option.
a few hrs @ 165F kills all bugs and weed seeds
i did it the 1st year I grew indoors.
depending on what your resources are to do this it can be very easy to time consuming

I was pretty happy with the fox farm ocean forest... I have been using sunshine mix 4 since the beginning with never any problems... I just don't understand how these little buggers stayed dormant or whatever until like halfway threw the blooming phase... I didn't notice them until week 8 and even still they were a small population from what I've seen so far... I hope... The thing about cooking the soil is where would I do it in my oven in the kitchen... My girl would kill me... :tiphat: ...:thank you:

nickman

Veteran
Monsanto bought out Fox Farm...

Plan on not using their products in the future anyway. Probably the bag, usually infected during 'storage'.

That's good to know... These people arent gonna b selling it anymore or something?... :tiphat: I've been wanting to start building my own soil anyway but this kinda scares me away from doing this ...thanks again buddy...:dance013:...

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Sorry...that monsanto/fox farm acquisition story is bullshit. Said differently, where are the press releases from either company? Monsanto is publicly held and SEC regs require it to disclose such activities to its shareholders....I know, been there, done that in my prior life.

oKiHai

Nickman,

Buy a can of apple juice concentrate, mix it with 2 cans of water. Spray entire plant, especially undersides of leaves. Let it drip for about 20 minutes and then rinse with water. It works!! I thought it was BS but figured what do I have to loose. It does work. One application, no more mites. It can be a little sticky if you dont do the rinse. I read it on some organic gardening forum, they claim some acid in the apple juice concentrate disolves the mites and eggs. I assure you it works.

oKiHai

Nickman,

Buy a can of apple juice concentrate, mix it with 2 cans of water. Spray entire plant, especially undersides of leaves. Let it drip for about 20 minutes and then rinse with water. It works!! I thought it was BS but figured what do I have to loose. It does work. One application, no more mites. It can be a little sticky if you dont do the rinse. I read it on some organic gardening forum, they claim some acid in the apple juice concentrate disolves the mites and eggs. I assure you it works.

oKiHai

Never tried this I'll try it next Time mites pay me a visit

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Sorry...that monsanto/fox farm acquisition story is bullshit. Said differently, where are the press releases from either company? Monsanto is publicly held and SEC regs require it to disclose such activities to its shareholders....I know, been there, done that in my prior life.
Yep... you're correct. My apologies.

the gnome

Veteran
intereting info okihai
yes, apple juice is acidic.
sounds like it would maybe work on all mites, like broads and cyclamens?
wonder if apple cider wold do it or apple cider vinegar?

That's good to know... These people arent gonna b selling it anymore or something?... :tiphat: I've been wanting to start building my own soil anyway but this kinda scares me away from doing this ...thanks again buddy...:dance013:...

yup... the oven.
i used a thermometer with the remote sensor and stick it in the middle of the pot full of dirt, when it reaches 165F(i think)
keep it at that temp for 30-45min.
its great for a small garden, i did it a few times for my 2Kw grow using 5 gallon pots. too labor intensive.
you can even use the microwave for small projects, make sure the soil is dampened

i use to do it for my casings for my mycology exploits :)

S

SooperSmurph

intereting info okihai
yes, apple juice is acidic.
sounds like it would maybe work on all mites, like broads and cyclamens?
wonder if apple cider wold do it or apple cider vinegar?
Wouldn't recomend it if you have any kind of gnat presence in your grow, when your lights go off the gnats will flock to the smell and cover the sticky areas of your plant.

the gnome

Veteran
ss, oki said you need to rinse, maybe you missed it.

if you already have gnats i don't see a prob,
I mean if its a toss up tween the gnats and the mites.
its an easy choice.
and since were talking easy organics to deal with pests.
get a few bottles of flvored rice wine vinegar, take the tops off.
gnats will make a beeline for it,they go in the bottle and never come out.
don't know if its fumes, or the they drown because of very low surface tension of the vinegar
when they fall or land in the vinegar? but it works.
redwine vinegars may work too, never tried.
you can also get a peice of sliced potato, lay it on the soil surface, gnats lay their larvae on the potato and you can toss it
daily and set another one out.
I wish mites were as easy to deal with hehe ::
smoke

Buy a can of apple juice concentrate, mix it with 2 cans of water. Spray entire plant, especially undersides of leaves. Let it drip for about 20 minutes

and then rinse with water.

It works!! I thought it was BS but figured what do I have to loose. It does work. One application, no more mites. It can be a little sticky if you dont do the rinse. I read it on some organic gardening forum, they claim some acid in the apple juice concentrate disolves the mites and eggs. I assure you it works.

oKiHai

S

SooperSmurph

I did miss that, but i'm still unsure about the idea.

People complain about various smells and chemicals being more present in Cannabis that has been sprayed in late flower than in food crops, and this is supposedly due to increased surface area among other things. Given this, vinegar seems risky, but apple juice might still be alright.