What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michigan said YES!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
wonder how much the license for that will cost & which zones in each county it will be.

either way, 150 plants is enough to bust out flower and breed on a craft level, which is what Im down for. if they allow concentrates in the same location, might not be so bad.

I was kinda bummed about it earlier, but more I read into it, Im looking forward to seeing the details that go with this.

I hope it works this way. I guess my problem is that the part of the law that I may qualify for barely a paragraph and seems easily removed.

But 145 females and 5 males will be a great start to a local landrace project. And should make an amazing block of hash.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Your legislators will adjust the law to their needs, they’ll attack licenses structuring and personal plant numbers first. What was the proposed tax?

Plant count is the same as medical, since '08. I don't see the number changing. 10% tax.

Michigan Proposal 18-1
2018 ballot measure

Ballot Subtitle: Coalition to regulate marijuana like alcohol
Ballot Text: This proposal would: Allow individuals 21 and older to purchase, possess and use marijuana and marijuana-infused edibles, and grow up to 12 marijuana plants for personal consumption. Impose a 10-ounce limit for marijuana kept at residences and require amounts over 2.5 ounces be secured in locked containers. Create a state licensing system for marijuana businesses and allow municipalities to ban or restrict them. Permit retail sales of marijuana and edibles subject to a 10% tax, dedicated to implementation costs, clinical trials, schools, roads, and municipalities where marijuana businesses are located. Change several current violations from crimes to civil infractions. Should this proposal be adopted?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also, don’t forget. Municipalities have the right to deny rec shops (as they have with med), so depending on where one lives, it may not matter, even if you’re willing to pay the licensing fees.

Just like Colorado.

growingcrazy

You just posted one of the best parts of the law... the taxes only go to municipalities that allow this all to happen. If yours decides they don't want to participate, they are losing huge potential tax gains and will start to have residence move.

My township is against all of this. However, they understand it is what we the people want and they are working with us to make that happen. That has been a 4 year work in progress alone. The silver spoon isn't happening. Work.

Can anyone explain how the Cottage Law will impact those that don't have a clue. I see people complaining about that once they understand it.

Last edited:

TheMan13

Veteran
Doesn't the new law state a maximum of 5,000 in licensing fees? That seems rather fair to me.

I enjoy all of you that are worried and are going to bad mouth this one... If the playing field is equal and you can't make it...well... that has nothing to do with any laws.

I'm not sure why you had chose to address me here and in that manner, as I am not and have not been playing (selling/buying). I am and plan to remain a self sufficient medical patient without having to interface our "justice system" via some "unintended consequence". I hope that you can respect my opinion and I'll try to do the same ...

That said, this game of lawfare/regulatory capture never serves our society well by design, regardless of how willing or unwilling you are to play IMHO

growingcrazy

I'm not sure why you had chose to address me here and in that manner, as I am not and have not been playing (selling/buying). I am and plan to remain a self sufficient medical patient without having to interface our "justice system" via some "unintended consequence". I hope that you can respect my opinion and I'll try to do the same ...

That said, this game of lawfare/regulatory capture never serves our society well by design, regardless of how willing or unwilling you are to play IMHO

I am sorry! I didn't mean that second part towards you at all.

I only posted the 5k price tag because some are confused with the price of the MMFLA applications and licensing.

I am similar minded to yourself. Small grow with patients that are actual patients. Having 5 patients that move a lb a week isn't a medical caregiver IMO...

I don't have money, I don't have investors, I don't have help. What I do have is property, ambition and drive. A middle finger to the corporate world is also a bonus. :tiphat:

Again, Sorry!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Awesome job guys! I'm seriously stoked for Michigan. This gives me more hope for Ohio. First Canada, now you guys.

Hopefully it doesn’t get torn apart like it did here in Maine. If you see Marijuana policy project involved then get active in the political sessions when they start writing regs. They raised the tax here from 10 to 20% added excise taxes, stripped revenue sharing with municipalities, lowered the plant count from 6 to 3, 6 max per landholder no matter the number of adults. Medical has been expanded a bit but it’s been a fight quarterly to keep things intact for the business that’s already established.

BerrySeal

Awesome job guys! I'm seriously stoked for Michigan. This gives me more hope for Ohio. First Canada, now you guys.

What was wrong with medical? Are you wanting prices to skyrocket and quality to go into the negatives so you can fetch 90s prices for your stuff on the informal market? You think it's better to have the tax man on your ass?

G

Congrats and good luck to you all. Hopefully my state just south of you makes some kind of movement soon.

Or at least I can take a leisurely drive a hundred miles north and do some shopping for flowers and (holding my breath) some verified clones of a couple unicorn status strains for me.

growingcrazy

has anyone found info on zoning restrictions for the grows?

It will be the same as any business that operates on site. You will need to be zoned Ag or Commercial.

I don't see why single person operations that are under the microbusiness license couldn't operate from a residence though. As long as the growing and processing areas are up to code and nobody else is entering at anytime...I can't see that being an issue. Same method that numerous other single operator business's use.

Cannabis business's are not unicorns. Follow all laws pertaining to business in your local area. Your going to need insurance, inspections etc.

Hopefully it doesn’t get torn apart like it did here in Maine. If you see Marijuana policy project involved then get active in the political sessions when they start writing regs. They raised the tax here from 10 to 20% added excise taxes, stripped revenue sharing with municipalities, lowered the plant count from 6 to 3, 6 max per landholder no matter the number of adults. Medical has been expanded a bit but it’s been a fight quarterly to keep things intact for the business that’s already established.
MPP was the group that teamed up with MIlegalize to get it to pass. They had their hand in this bill for sure. I am happy that people won't go to jail anymore but I was on the fence. I wanted to be patient and wait for another bill to support like Abrogate, which cemented the law in the state so politicians couldn't mess with it. The counter to that which I received was that if it doesn't pass now the state will pass their own law like they did with MMFLA. It was conflicting but I suppose this will be good for the state if they hold true to the bill. Cities need to loosen up because for me the closes cities that will have mmlfa dispos are still Detroit, Warren and Pontiac.

prune

Veteran
So, this means that if you are a carded medical patient you can now grow 24 plants, right? That's your 12plants for your medical prescription and 12plants for your recreational allotment, right?

right???

Klompen

Hopefully this is just the beginning and people will continue to push until there's a constitutional protection for growing like in Colorado. I haven't looked over each state's laws, but it seems like Colorado is the only state that has protected cannabis use and growing in their constitution. We need that to be the standard, because otherwise legislators can just keep changing the rules at whim.

The page you're looking for isn't here.
Either someone gave you a bad link or there's something funky going on. Either way, we're truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Latest posts

Latest posts