What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michigan said YES!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
The page you're looking for isn't here.
Either someone gave you a bad link or there's something funky going on. Either way, we're truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Try this:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/marijuana/2018/11/12/buy-marijuana-seeds-michigan/1944150002/

Yeah, getting seeds will be so difficult. We all know about all the folks who get busted and brought up on federal charges when Customs finds their seeds. :biglaugh: Not to mention we have a well known in-state vendor — minus Customs.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
how can one find out if a township will be cool with the micro grow license? just call and ask? lol

Does your township have a website? Look at the ordinances to see, specifically, if home-based businesses are permitted or not. They aren't in my township. And that ordinance was used when medical passed to outlaw caregivers growing at home - they deemed being a caregiver the same as running a home-based business. It’s ok to grow as a registered qualifying patient, but not as a caregiver in a residential home. I don’t imagine home-based micro businesses will be permitted in my township based off the same precedent.

dire_wolf

I have yet to see a state that has passed recreational that has worked out thus far. The only reason rec laws are being passed is for big businesses to thrive. If you think otherwise you’re a fool.

I’ve been at this for years and will continue to operate regardless of what the gov wants to tell me while guys like growingcrazy think they’re more legit cause they’re spoon feeding the gov their money.

Black market is thriving in rec states and will continue to do so here when the prices go up and the quality gets worse.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I have yet to see a state that has passed recreational that has worked out thus far. The only reason rec laws are being passed is for big businesses to thrive. If you think otherwise you’re a fool.

I’ve been at this for years and will continue to operate regardless of what the gov wants to tell me while guys like growingcrazy think they’re more legit cause they’re spoon feeding the gov their money.

Black market is thriving in rec states and will continue to do so here when the prices go up and the quality gets worse.

It would work out for me personally. I could grow my own meds and not have to worry about going to prison for it. I'm not sure if there is a single industry in the U.S. that big business and uncle Sam don't have their hands in some way, and I doubt cannabis will be any different. If you grow commercially I say keep doing what you've been doing. It was illegal before so why stop now? Grow a superior product to what's being taxed in the shops and go about your business.

G

It would work out for me personally. I could grow my own meds and not have to worry about going to prison for it. I'm not sure if there is a single industry in the U.S. that big business and uncle Sam don't have their hands in some way, and I doubt cannabis will be any different. If you grow commercially I say keep doing what you've been doing. It was illegal before so why stop now? Grow a superior product to what's being taxed in the shops and go about your business.
In that vein I friended some of my last grow to someone who is the only person in the world outside my house that knows I grow a couple plants at a time.

They were visiting friends in MI and afterwards told me they tried some local product from a shop and mine was much better. Not that I’m a great grower but I’m not trying to produce product simply for the market.

JustSumTomatoes

In that vein I friended some of my last grow to someone who is the only person in the world outside my house that knows I grow a couple plants at a time.

They were visiting friends in MI and afterwards told me they tried some local product from a shop and mine was much better. Not that I’m a great grower but I’m not trying to produce product simply for the market.

Sorry for generalizing, I realize that not everyone who grows is doing it for profit or trying to appeal to any sort of market. I feel that if you want to grow your own bud and share with friends, regardless of what the rest of the industry is doing, you should be allowed to without worry that a SWAT team will be kicking down your door at 4:00am and all that nonsense.

Ideally, I think a farmers market/mom and pops approach towards MJ would be a great way to do it but the government isn't going to let that happen anytime soon.

TheMan13

Veteran
Ideally, I think a farmers market/mom and pops approach towards MJ would be a great way to do it but the government isn't going to let that happen anytime soon.

Agreed, but sadly only Flint (GC3 & VCS) has had any luck with MMMA Farmers Markets over the years. Not everything is much better quality than the dispensaries, but the selection and cost has always been on point for patients and caregivers looking for the odd product.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world

For about nine years I grew on a (much) larger scale than I do now - not just home-based. I am very familiar with flipping the finger to the man. And doing as I please.

I only mention this because I am not sure if you are saying recreational is a good thing, or not. Your argument about the rise of the black market is spot on, so if you’re selling commercially, illegally, then this is still a positive. Is it not? I’d sure see it as such. If I were still in the game. There’ll be at least a couple years to clean up, and possibly more if big business can’t produce anything above the level of Coors Light. And there'll always be a niche market. And if you don't have an established clientele by now... no need to worry about them running to the mass produced, is there? I mean to say, it can’t only be for big business to thrive if the black market gains steam, right? Who hasn’t it worked out for in the states that passed rec? Those who can’t compete, like growingcrazy mentioned?

I am old now. And my time of living on the edge has passed. I just want to grow some plants at home and not worry about having everything taken from me for doing so. So the passing of this proposal is liberating, for me.

I spent about five or six months visiting local dispensaries. The main objective was to find a narcotic/heavy/couchlock/lights-out var. But I also wanted to gauge what was out there against what I was growing. I went every weekend, usually on Friday. I asked specifically for the effect I was looking for. If I found one that suited, I would grow it at home. Nothing. During all those visits of asking for a narcotic day-ender and spending $20 a gram - nothing. And most of it really was subpar. Flowers if I'd grown at home I wouldn't have smoked. So if more of the same is what's to come with recreational, most will be better off growing for themselves. Or purchasing from the black market.

Not surprised your home grown was better.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world

I agree too. But wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the possibility. Much of the business side of this is still up in the air. And who’s to say that micro business licensee holders couldn’t join together to form an LLC farmers’ market?

Someone in this thread said something about if you're willing to bust your ass... just depends on what you want and how bad you want it. Lots of possibilities.

G

Sorry for generalizing, I realize that not everyone who grows is doing it for profit or trying to appeal to any sort of market. I feel that if you want to grow your own bud and share with friends, regardless of what the rest of the industry is doing, you should be allowed to without worry that a SWAT team will be kicking down your door at 4:00am and all that nonsense.

Just to clarify Im not trying to make a statement but an observation.

I have no actual personal experience with any kind of product from dispensaries since I CANT visit one and in no way am trying to say my dogs better than your dog, if you get that your way old like me.

I just presumed that most meds from the legal shops was supposed to be pretty good and Im sure depending on how much you want to spend or where you go its no contest.

I do however know that as an example people who go to package liquor stores as an example walk in and grab a 12 pack of Miller or Coors and think its good stuff. Compared to the ones who walk in and prefer something better. Id be showing my bias if I said something like ZombieDust as an example.

My viewpoint is skewed because I dont want to be in the business and its not even an option for where I live. Id be happy to gift openly friends and if they wanted to return the favor with a nice bottle of spirits or other thing friends do to repay kindnesses thats cool.

Those who do want to be in the small business I have to wonder what the considerations are of the downside of being out there as far as growing to sell to the small market. Mainly because there are scumbags who will always look for places to steal and rob.

Im an out of state'er so my opinion doesn't mean shit. Im just watching and waiting to see if I can get one or two very prominent strains for me as bonsai moms for my personal vault but only if they are verified by charter members at places like this. This is something of a hobby for me as much as anything else if you know what I mean. Fun to watch the plants grow and do their thing. I only need and can use, spouse more than me, so much smoke.

Every non legal grower knows what its like to look around at everyone who talks about weed and just think,,, "If you only knew what was going on in my garage,basement or shed" and try not to smirk.

JustSumTomatoes

I agree too. But wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the possibility. Much of the business side of this is still up in the air. And who’s to say that micro business licensee holders couldn’t join together to form an LLC farmers’ market?

Someone in this thread said something about if you're willing to bust your ass... just depends on what you want and how bad you want it. Lots of possibilities.

Very true, it would be great to see a community of growers come together and put all the work in to make it happen. An LLC would honestly be a smart move in the bud biz compared to a partnership or sole proprietorship where you would have your personal assets on the line. I'd imagine you wouldn't be getting hit with the taxes quite like a corporate weed gig either. I think you don't even have to be a U.S. citizen to run one if I'm correct, so maybe this could open up some sort of international weed co-op? Exotic strains from around the world maybe?

Who knows, these are very interesting times and I'm sure if people pay close enough attention to the market, they may realize it's not just some corporate run, government sanctioned scandal.

JustSumTomatoes

stewart169, no worries man. I'm also from out of state and am just excited to see a state in my neighborhood going green. I'm hoping some of the good vibes spread our way soon.

Not trying to make the whole "who has the better bud" argument, just trying to point out that in my opinion the legalization movement seems to be getting demonized quite a bit. I feel it's because of it's nature in relation to government favoring fat cats looking to hijack the industry, maybe even culture from long time growers who have love for the plant and growing it.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my state legalization meant the end of MMJ as we knew it. All the mmj dispensaries closed and all the farmers markets were shut down. I think we may have lasted 2 years or so after legalization. We still have medical but it's not the same at all.

My state wasn't very good at sharing. They wanted it all.

growingcrazy

Thank you for singling me out and assuming what I think.

If you have a problem because I want to pay my taxes and support the rest of the humans in our state and country by contributing to the economic/tax system, You can go... :tiphat:

Unless your paying your taxes, helping your community and not being any type of burden on society, you are part of the problem.

I bet you have made a lot more income on cannabis than I have... show me your tax returns.

Enjoy your day.

Last edited:

growingcrazy

In case anyone is curious, My vantage point is that I would like to see 20,000 microbusiness suppling shops. We don't need any corporate grows, anywhere.

Michigan needs to be the first to flip this whole industry to the benefit of the little guy. Farmers market sales are what we need. Push your local township and county and make them happen. Make shit happen or watch someone else do it.

Money doesn't mean shit to me. Anyone that knows me will tell you that.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I'm 60 and never thought I'd get the chance to grow my own legally. I am overjoyed with Michigan's choice to legalize.