What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MHBGuy - Grape Ox Grow Log - First Ever Newbie Summer Bud Contest

Former Guest

the one's that were more expensive are much better cuts appearance wise as they're established and grown at least 8 inches where as the others are fresh from the cloner and small with only a few good cuts to choose from. each one I picked was scrutinized and I even drove to one of their other locations to pick up more since I didn't like the other cuts they had there. they had connie at each place which is a 30 minute drive in between. but each cut has a great shape to start topping and scrogging out. I'm quite pleased. I have had trouble with pests with this place before but for the most part, they have been very honest and upfront with the exception of one person and these cuts look great and have grown new leaves that are healthy. they also put in a new IPM program at the collective now so I'm pretty sure they're okay so that's why I bought them there or else I would have gone up north. they are at a completely different location than my grow and I have been really careful about cleanliness in between places too.

MHBGuy

Hope they are well rooted and mite free for $15. Think I will largely stick with seeds for new strains. Word here is pretty much anyplace you buy clones you bring home mites.

Former Guest

well, that is probably a good assumption. that's why these were dunked in Nuke Em when I got home and segregated immediately. dunking clones is a good way to kill most anything and then you wait it out to see if they were healthy. up north they want a lot more than $15....

I have some seeds I was thinking about sprouting. I want them all! lol it's so hard to decide!

MHBGuy

Kind of like a kid in a candy store when I am browsing seeds and strains too! But being frugal, I'll make do with what comes along. Not sure if you have heard of Bruce Banner, but was fortunate to score a handful of beans from some recreational. Funny how happy I am to see seeds these days compared to when I was 18!

Former Guest

yeah, I have some time and I might even really like these ones I have now. my aunt will grow anything I give her so maybe I can give her clones to run while I run the new ones and then we can trade back and forth (keeping in mind of pests of course). that way I can keep more strains and have a variety.

MHBGuy

Would be handy to have a grow partner to swap with. Can see how it will get tricky hanging onto every strain I like.

Former Guest

I actually haven't gone over there and talked to her in a while. I probably should. she has my casey jones and blue magoo going right now and I want to see how they're performing.

MHBGuy

Nice that growing is in the family. Little more work than most of my friends and family are up for. Too bad they won't give it a try as they have no idea what they are missing.

MHBGuy

Have been slow growing some Grape Ox clones outside and under CFLs at night while my sativa finished under the lights. Finally chopped it at 14 weeks and brought these ladies in for some 20/4 before going to flower.

They are in recycled soil from the males I culled early in the grow. Just added some more EWC. I think they actually like the soil better the second time around as everything has had a chance to mellow.

Thought the clones might have a different growth pattern, but nope.

Still straight up and down and branches shorter than a T-Rex's arms.

Attachments

• IMG_7963.jpg
    IMG_7963.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7961.jpg
    IMG_7961.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

MHBGuy

All in all I would rate Grape Ox a 10 out of 10. Really was everything I was looking for in a first time soil grow.

Plants are a little smaller than I expected, but that is OK with me. They would work great for a SOG or as outdoor plants in the suburbs.

Yield at 3oz was fine for a baseline and going to see how I can improve that with some nutrient additions in grows to come. Just picked up some seabird and bat guanos to top dress the clones with.

Flavor already is really very nice. Fully cured now, the buds smell like fire when you open the jar. And it hits like a hammer when you smoke it. My wife gave the best review when she said it was "way stronger" than what we have been purchasing locally. Two rips and she is couched for hours.

Hope some find this thread helpful. Goal was some decent home grown using simple gardening techniques and not spending a ton of money on equipment and bottles of nutrients etc.

It can be done. Keep it simple, keep an eye on them, don't love them too much and you will be schmokin the good shit in no time (well 4 months, but it goes by fast)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awww yeah finger scales! Their inaccuracy and my fluctuating math skills have at one time helped me make more money on a bean sale XD

Wandering in from the Summer Bud Contest, looking bloody great so far, I'm either voting for you or one of two others, might need a wee puff to decide.

Last edited:

Former Guest

well I voted for you. I liked the fact that this was your first organic grow, you did a good job, were helpful to others on ICMAG and other contestants as well, have a good attitude, and were truly a newb at this. I really hope you win because I think you out of all deserve to because you met all the requirements truly.

Latest posts

Latest posts