What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MHBGuy - Grape Ox Grow Log - First Ever Newbie Summer Bud Contest

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

it could be worse hahaha! fly traps and spinosad will work well I think.

MHBGuy

Today marks 100 days above ground for the Grape Ox. The plant with the biggest cola is starting a second round of flowers at the top, so maybe a new growth phase beginning. Only supposed to be 2 - 3 weeks left according to Rare Dankness, so we shall see.

Trichomes are going around the upper bracts and especially along the edges of the smaller leaves on some colas.

Felt like harvest would never get here when I originally planted, but seems like it is almost in sight.

DeoXy

They are finishing up nicely!.. not too much longer MHB.. what kind of smells are you getting off the group?.. I've been vegging the current round of plants for over 2 months now.. won't have a harvest for another 2-3 months lol.. been battling root aphids the last few weeks which has prevented me from flipping to flower..things are turning around tho :D.. deff. make sure you keep any bugs in check.. avoid spraying anything on the buds if possible this close to being done.. control is your best bet right now.

Last edited:

MHBGuy

Totally agree on the spray. This has really been a soil only grow with one top dressing of EWC during veg and a molasses and EWC tea a couple of weeks into flower.

Beyond that I have been using BTI when I water and just sprayed the top layer of soil yesterday with Captain Jacks for thrips. Probably do that once more in a few days just to keep them on the run.

Put some new sticky strips down and have only picked up a few strays.

For smell it was sweet early in flower, but now I get hit with a wave of really rich funky coffee and chocolate every time I go near the room. Curiously though, I always say dead skunks smell like the best coffee ever, so guessing there's some skunk in there too.

Best I have been able to cool the room temp too at night is 70-72, but nothing I would call purple so far.

Last edited:

MHBGuy

It's purple a lot of the time, but nothing on the plants yet.:laughing:

Took these yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7538.jpg
    IMG_7538.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7531.jpg
    IMG_7531.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PB300495
    PB300495
    55.4 KB · Views: 19

MHBGuy

They are on day 57 of flower today. Rare Dankness says 60-65, and that looks about right, but the also said "tons of purple." I do see some darkness along the edges of some of the higher small leaves, but not sure I would call it purple. Possibly need cooler night time temps to bring it out.

Definitely a sweet fruitier smell mixing in with the strong coffee now.

MHBGuy

Strange how the whole grow diary vs journal thing has worked out. Started a grow journal in mid May before the contest was announced and have only updated it a couple of times since I began this diary in late June. Journal had 14,000 views in a little over a month, diary has only had about 800 in the same amount of time.

MHBGuy

LOL, lurkers are fine. Thought traffic would be similar in journals and diaries and had a hard time deciding which was the right place to start a log back in May. Seems like journals are the more visible of the two just based on views.

MHBGuy

Have to give RD credit, they said tons of purple and sure enough some is starting to show up here in the waning days.

Day 61 of flower today.

Attachments

• Purple.jpg
    Purple.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 15
M

Mr.23

Very nice! Currently sitting on ox, grape ox, and cornbread. I think you just convinced me to pop the grape ox next! Smoke report please! Lol.

MHBGuy

Hey Mr.23. Have only had a little taster so far and it was just lower bud air dried for 24 hours. Very good buzz and amazingly smooth considering the dry. Can imagine with proper dry and cure it should be tasty indeed!

Some pics from day 63 of flower

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpg
    IMG_7638.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7647.jpg
    IMG_7647.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7661.jpg
    IMG_7661.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 13

MHBGuy

Thank you, DDNuggs! Have to say RD was pretty spot on regarding timeframe, curious if they will add any more color in the next few days. Not seeing much amber in the trichomes so far, so figure they have a couple days to run yet.

MHBGuy

Some last pics of the two big Grape Ox before chopping.

Seemed odd to me, but the two big plants finished faster than the smaller seeded one which still looks like it wants a few more days. Smaller one was in 5 gallon pot, two bigger ones were 7 gals.

The two big ones have been left in dark for about 36 hours so far, will cut and trim later today.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

I bet the plant with the seed is using more of it's energy to make the seeds than to ripen. love the pretty purples!!

MHBGuy

That's possible, DD. Seeded those buds well over a month ago, so surely the seeds are fully developed, but perhaps the seeding delayed the over all process. Also wondered if the position in the garden and pot sized mattered. Once they all got pretty good sized it was a lot harder to shuffle them under the light.

Pretty interesting as I expected the exact opposite.

Purps are better than I expected. Had those purple lines trimming the edges, but I let them run to 70 days and the real purple came out in the last few.

Last edited: