What's new

MH vs HPS in bloom

I

ItsTopShelf

so as for indoor growing we are about the same age.lol.
I wish i could figure out how to post pics.
Have a kandy kush x skunk and a ch9 super haze about 2wks from finishing. they look incredible. I've grown many different strains since ive started and all have liked the 2:1 bulb mix.
need to upload the pics to ur gallery then u add them to posts.. very simple actually .. and u have to have a certain numbere of posts to post pictures.. i think 50.

hobb3s93

Could one of u guys point me the rite direction for some cheap 600 mhs ?
All I can find at homedepot, lowes, etc are 400s .

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
hps will produce more bud by itself then MH bulb. HPS light has more lumens and more of red spectrum. MH bulb will give you frostier bud, cooler blue light. i have a 5x10 tent 2 plants same strain half MH and half HPS so im going to test this for myself. but im 90% sure the plant under the HPS will yield more

the gnome

Veteran
hps will produce more bud by itself then MH bulb. HPS light has more lumens and more of red spectrum. MH bulb will give you frostier bud, cooler blue light. i have a 5x10 tent 2 plants same strain half MH and half HPS so im going to test this for myself. but im 90% sure the plant under the HPS will yield more

the reason I started this thread was while observing the effects of a Mh along with an HPS to try and coax out more resin.
the same plant produced 33% more under Mh
over the super HPS horti eye bulb

with this strain the buds under Mh were bigger and much denser.
even the popcorn bud did the same.
under the HPS It looked great....
until you looked at the huge difference under my 1000w 7200KMH
it really made me rethink everything I've always read and took for granted about the necessity of HPS in bloom
and what the plants really need in bloom, and evidently there are many strains
that don't need or want what the HPS spectrum has.

nephrosis

the reason I started this thread was while observing the effects of a Mh along with an HPS to try and coax out more resin.
the same plant produced 33% more under Mh
over the super HPS horti eye bulb

with this strain the buds under Mh were bigger and much denser.
even the popcorn bud did the same.
under the HPS It looked great....
until you looked at the huge difference under my 1000w 7200KMH
it really made me rethink everything I've always read and took for granted about the necessity of HPS in bloom
and what the plants really need in bloom, and evidently there are many strains
that don't need or want what the HPS spectrum has.

Dont get me wrong, hps is a great bulb and honestly if i DIDNT HAVE a 7200KMH bulb i would use my HPS during flowering. But since i have seen my plants and a few others do SO well under this type of MH bulb its becoming easier for me to say i will go MH all the way. Going to mix mg bulbs next :)

But yes, IV noticed the 7200k bulb mh im using produces TONS more nodes and internodes closer together unlike the hps to produce fluffier buds?

I vote mh all the way. BUT!!! MULTI SPECTRUM bulbs are the SHIT!

7200k FTW

bChiefing

nice thread gnome. i just got a mh in my closet for a nice head stash. been running a rotation in the bigger room but will keep in mind what was mentioned earlier about keeping the plant under the same light since it gets used to a specific light spec. much love and props!

señorsloth

Veteran
will keep in mind what was mentioned earlier about keeping the plant under the same light since it gets used to a specific light spec.

they weren't saying an individual plant gets used to a certain type of light...they were saying selective breeding would invariably favor plants that did best under whatever light the breeder was using...as in...like say said breeder uses only metal halide for breeding, as he plants a large population of seeds and selects the best few, he is also selecting, up to a point, plants that perform well under the metal halide light...as if to say that the exact same seeds, grown under hps, would look quite different, and the best few that are selected might not be the same as the best few under mh, because some plants may grow better under one light and worse under another, and depending on what lights the breeder is using, he could be unknowingly breeding plants that perform best under his light, but perform differently under others...

it certainly is possible, and makes sense, but i would think it's probably not a big factor, as far as breeding factors grow...the only way to know for sure would be too grow out lots of seeds under both lights too see...

more than likely it seems like most of the people who keep repeating the old line "hps yields more, mh is frostier" are people who have never tried exclusively using mh...i have yet to see anybody with a reputation on this site try pure metal halide and then go back...if people would just be more open minded, and be willing to test their theories before they say them as if they were fact, we would know the true answer by now...the majority of people online commenting about this subject have NEVER tried it, many have never even grown, and the few people that do try it seem to get drowned out by a million nay-sayers who have no idea what they are talking about...

the gnome

Veteran
more than likely it seems like most of the people who keep repeating the old line "hps yields more, mh is frostier" are people who have never tried exclusively using mh...i have yet to see anybody with a reputation on this site try pure metal halide and then go back...if people would just be more open minded, and be willing to test their theories before they say them as if they were fact, we would know the true answer by now...the majority of people online commenting about this subject have NEVER tried it, many have never even grown, and the few people that do try it seem to get drowned out by a million nay-sayers who have no idea what they are talking about...

I agree 110% sloth :joint:

here's something else I'm sure all of us can relate too.
when a grower(usually newer ones) pull in a bang up harvest, he doesn't want to change any thing for fear of not getting it again.
I did this for a while and got out of that limiting mindset fairly quick. if i had never tried changing things up looking for a way to increase resin with the Mh in bloom I would still be
getting 30% less with my secret recipe #1 and would still be losing out thinking the hps was nailing down tight

Dont get me wrong, hps is a great bulb and honestly if i DIDNT HAVE a 7200KMH bulb i would use my HPS during flowering. But since i have seen my plants and a few others do SO well under this type of MH bulb its becoming easier for me to say i will go MH all the way. Going to mix mg bulbs next
smile.gif

But yes, IV noticed the 7200k bulb mh im using produces TONS more nodes and internodes closer together unlike the hps to produce fluffier buds?

I vote mh all the way. BUT!!! MULTI SPECTRUM bulbs are the SHIT!

7200k FTW

goodluck nephrosis,

are you going 1 strain only or multiple strains?

Rolldaddy

Hobb3,

Check out amazon. Cheapest place to get equipment. There you can find a lumiteck 600 electronic double balast that will run 2 600 hoods at the same time while having an individual strength controller for each hood. IMO that's the best 600w balast you can get, plus it will run 2 lights.

nephrosis

As of right now i am going 1 strain... BUT i might go with a few strains of clones. Still debating but if i do ill make sure i log the differences between strains on the 7200k.

bowzer

need to upload the pics to ur gallery then u add them to posts.. very simple actually .. and u have to have a certain numbere of posts to post pictures.. i think 50.

well you were right it was pretty simple.lo. lIm very computer challenged. I'll be putting up some more pics soon,,, so check my album if you get an extra min.

I try to keep things real simpl e and imo... I think its worked so far?? 400whps/250wmh side by side. these are the pics ive gotten so far, not very good but they are my first, so... bear with me if you wish and Ill try and get some sweet pics up ..thanks all!!
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Hobb3,

Check out amazon. Cheapest place to get equipment. There you can find a lumiteck 600 electronic double balast that will run 2 600 hoods at the same time while having an individual strength controller for each hood. IMO that's the best 600w balast you can get, plus it will run 2 lights.
Lumatek's have been the favorite ballast for many but the new MicroMole ballast blew Lumatek out of the water in a PAR output test on Youtube: MicroMole Digital Ballast - Online Hydroponic Store Review

Rolldaddy

Stonefree,

C'mon! Lumiteck have been tried and true the prime balasts for years now. If your going to claim some new no name brand is better, use better support than an add made by that new company.

An another note on amazon they sell lumiteck 600's that can even run 2 hoods at the same time.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Stonefree,

C'mon! Lumiteck have been tried and true the prime balasts for years now. If your going to claim some new no name brand is better, use better support than an add made by that new company..
MicroMole is not an off brand name, they're OEMed by Gavita who've been around for decades and one of Europe's biggest suppliers of horticultural lighting. They deal in setups w/thousands of lights. With a Phillps or Gavita lamp and ballast (in their horizontal reflector) Gavita has highest PAR output in market.

hobb3s93

ya dude already rockin two of those lumateks, amazon does have great deals just a little weary of having stuff shipped . but i have alot of stores in my area so ill find somthing soon.

highonmt

Veteran
Great thread gnome. Where does one buy a 21 dollar bt56 all the ones round here are 35 dollers plus.
Hm

Latest posts

Latest posts