What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

bowzer

After reading all this im gonna build another room with just halide. shit maybe ill build two more and have 1 room hps,1 mh, and 1 a 2:1 hps:halide. not sure if different lights will improve on what im doing, cuz im sure there are other elements i need to fix more, but i'll give it a go with the lights.

señorsloth

Veteran
here's some harvest shots from my cindy99...the frost level was just off the hook compared to my hps runs of the past, soooo sticky, stickier than ever, bigger, fatter calyxes, more swolen than ever before, it was incredible, i will never go back to hps!@
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the gnome

Veteran
shits lookin pretty damn good sloth
them cola's are looking preety damn solid from where I'm sittin... very solid! :joint:
glad you found the Mh *sweet spot*

N

noyd666

run sunpulse 600 halide globes prob 3 years, lot cooler, was happy enough with them, right at end they seemed to fatten, swell and glissen and drip resin stickky,would use again, dear though, some dont' like em, choice.

the gnome

Veteran
Nice. What spectrum MH is that?

one the 1st 1-3 pages he tell us,
thanks man.... 25+ yrs growin different ways.....now I'm usin sylvania bt56 bulbs 4000k MH for all my grows

thats was pre98 bubba kush... pulled around 12 lbs off that room... 50 plants in 6.5 quart potters... 15 x 18 room

this is another room with double diesel... 25 plants... 5 oz per plant in 6.5 quart potters... room was 10 x 10
I just got a few in, they are huge suckers!
about the size of a football lol

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they do have bubls with MH/HPS in the same bulb. There pretty expensive 180$ for 1..

Here is what they look like. The HPS is on the bottom MH is on top..

41hl%2BKP2xOL._SX450_.jpg

the gnome

Veteran
they do have bubls with MH/HPS in the same bulb. There pretty expensive 180$ for 1..

Here is what they look like. The HPS is on the bottom MH is on top..

View Image.

yeah,
xpensive for sure hammer...
if you really think on it those dual spectrum bulbs aren't doing you any favors, really a waste of money if you think on it.
in a 1000w dual spec. bulb you get a 400w mh and a 600w hps
BUT your going to have to keep it the 1000w distance from your plants
so both the 600 and the 400w are going to be much further out if they're own *optimal distance zones*
what a waste :joint:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use 600mh when the plants are still young. I have 2 600mh with a 1k HPS in the middle. I change the MH out when im in full bloom..

the gnome

Veteran
I use 600mh when the plants are still young. I have 2 600mh with a 1k HPS in the middle. I change the MH out when im in full bloom..

seeing results with Mh in bloom in this thread you may benefit leaving the Mh ....?
who knows, maybe that amazing killer purple frostbyte will amaze even more... :smoke:

señorsloth

Veteran
i'm using sunmaster warm deluxe...the k range is 3200...i'm seeing at least 25-33% more frost, and the calyxes are swelling bigger than ever before, also i saw no loss in density at all, in fact the buds were harder than ever...there are tons of variables to sort out but those two are factors i can directly attribute to the bulb, i also had a pretty huge weight gain over previous harvests, i have yet to do the numbers but almost a gram per watt, that is likely attributed to better cloning practices over previous runs however, when you flower from clone like i do, the amount of roots the clones have can influence the quality of the run more than everything else combined...i mention it only too say i don't think mh cost me any yeild at all, and probably did help at least a little...

as far as i'm concerned the sunmaster warm deluxe mh is superior to my hortilux eye hps for budding, in almost every possible way i can measure...for me this means i definitely wont be going back, and will be recommending everybody i get into the game use metal halide for flowering...it's just the best way, and anybody doing combinations of hps and mh is wasting their time, if they would nut up and switch out all their hps bulbs for sunmaster warm deluxe bulbs they will get as good or better yeild, with higher potency, better looking buds...it's not a dangerous experiment, and will only do good things for your plants and wallet...

if you look at the graph for my bulb, and then compare it to the graph below it, being extra CAREFUL to pay attention to the numbers, because they don't line up exactly, you will see that this bulb puts out almost the exact profile of what the plant uses, there are no spectrum that cannabis needs that it doesn't produce well, vs hps not producing blues well...blues are the workhorse of the light spectrum, they do all of the growth work...the reds trigger hormonal changes but don't contribute to bud growth in the ways people think they do...this is why new metal halides outperform hps in ALL areas...there is nothing an hps can do that a warm spectrum mh can't do but there is quite a bit that a warm spectrum halide can do that hps can't!
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: