What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medicinal Effects of Strains

C

ChynaRyder

What would be really cool (aside from more db backend from icmag)
would be to add a list of common medical genres under the strain guide that reg users can vote on like " _____ users found this strain helpful with depression" . Then sort by Depression most helpful, or Insomnia least helpful.

The importance of describing strains which are contra indicated for particular medical condition(s) has as much medical value (if not more IMO) as describing their efficacy.

We can only relate our own subjective and anecdotal (ethno geography)
when it comes to organizing strains by medicinal (reported) effect. At this point.

I would Very much like to see this get done. As I am sure with most chronic illness, I suffer from a whole spectrum of maladies, and need a wide array of strains to treat my illness effectively (and let me tell you, I can treat it better with canna than big pharma, if I have variety) Although I been at this for years, there are sooo many strains, and working a new one into the rotation takes time, and space. It would be of great assistance to serious med users to be able to at least have this additional nugget of info when choosing strains. Nothing pisses me off more than to have dedicated time, $, and most importantly Grow Space to a strain that just doesnt cut it. More than half the country, and most of the world cannot go to the dispensary and try new strains, we gotta network, and dig, and gamble. Can I third the notion that this idea needs to be implemented, and soon. Good growin and good meds, folks.:joint:

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I'm trying to hunt down the BOG Lifesaver. I had to trash my mom and entire grow due to a bust a number of years ago and I just can't find a pain control Indica that does it for me like BOG Lifesaver.

If you have a real winner for migraine pain, please let me know (PM - PDQ!) so I can try that strain as well, as I am a tension, classic and cluster migraine sufferer. My daily-daily is the tension migraine, but that's life.

At any rate, if anyone knows where to find the seeds, would you please PM me and cue me in. Thanks.

bigdaddyc9

I miss you Dr.Jay.Smoke report on MKUltra-tastes exactly like organic grown white widow.I am sure there is no white widow genetics involved.5 hits is too many.Good for making one hungry and also good for chronic not acute pain.It magnifys acute pain due to being potent and high in THC/CDB and the like.Excellent strain that I would reccomend to anyone with the above issues.Peace and One Love BigD

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I tried AK47. It helps but doesn't do the migraine; maybe a simple tension headache, but not the Big Kahuna.

I don't know who owns the Bonzo Bud genes. Anyone have a clue on this one? Has anyone tried Bonzo Bud for migraine?

What about Burmaberry? Anyone got something to share on Burmaberry?

I've tried Herijuana and it was rather heavy-handed to me; a snoozer. The Green Spirit by Herijuana by Timewarp cross is unknown to me as well. Anyone with something to add on this one?

When I was a member of Compassion Corner, Ice Princess was going around, but I was working my way through Blue Hen and Red Widow-13, so I didn't have time for it (my motto has always been to grow the seeds I have before I bought any other ones - even when they were free over at 3C). I suspect that Ice Princess by Bubblegum would be a winner as I did BOGs version of Bubblegum and found it to be almost as good as his Lifesaver (praise be to the gods for its return!). Anyone try this cross?

Magic Crystal is another strain I've never heard of, so I would be relying upon someone who has some experience in this regard before I would attempt to track it down.

The list includes 9 or 10 strains that are specifically cited as being a migraine medication. Any fellow headache sufferers out there that want to weigh in on this?

Flying Goat

Awesome thread! Very helpful. I have fibromyalgia, migraines & insomnia due to being hit by a drunk in a truck while I was on horseback. Broke everything but my left arm - neck 3x, back 6x, rt leg 6x, rt arm 2x, etc. I'm a medical grower again, after 6 years off.

I have Masterkush & White Widow, thanks to Gypsy Nirvana (6 days from order to receipt!). He sent me Freebies of PPP (3P's). Does anyone know anything about this strain?

Also interested in any strains for treatment of epilepsy. I live Deep South in the Paranoid Zone. Am trying to organize a local chapter of Alabamians for Compassionate Care. The person who will be our media interface has epilepsy.

Dr. Jay - I miss you. Peaceful may your spirit be.

bbing

Good luck in the L-A-C (i justr like to say it)..and welcome back

your gonna be liking the PPP from the reports i have seen.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
white rhino - serious pain meds. Leaves me drooling and mumbling by 9pm. Potent stuff - one pheno is super dense with very little leafage. Super tasty and wonderfully strong. Lowered tolerance build-up. Smoked probably 4-8g's a day for about 4 months straight. Wasn't so baked I couldn't function like I was at first, but still strong and noticable - not just 'gettin' normal.

White Rhino is also my best pick for pain relief.Just make sure you grow it 11-12 weeks for the best pain meds.

White Rhino has a dormant period in the 9-10th week of flowering,fooling many growers to pick it early.

after the 10-12 day dormant period,it will gain another 30% in size and produce much better meds.

Nearly impossible to find Rhino buds for sale at all ,let alone white rhino grown out for 12 weeks.If you find it at the clubs it probably won't live up to it's pain relieving potential,being that it will be immature, harvested at 8 weeks.

For the real deal ,you have to grow it yourself.lol Romulan is also good for pain when grown properly.Romulan finishes quicker as well.

treewizard

Orient Express and Nepalese Jam

Orient Express and Nepalese Jam

So I suffer from rapid cycling manic depression. So a good sativa with anxiety/depression relieving qualities is where it's at for me. I have to say that both varieties are great in both regards. Both strains have clean up highs that are very nice. The Orient Express is a little less spacey though. Honestly its one of those strains that is so clear that you might underestimate where you're at until you're at work.. On the flip side the Nepalese Jam seems to last a little longer. Also the Nepalese Jam seems to have pretty potent appetite enhancing qualities. So chemo patients and people having issues due to medical conditions or medication might want to look into this one. Both were a lot of fun to grow, had obvious hybrid vigor, and were pretty trouble free. I did have one OE plant that was kind of finicky about magneseum levels. These girls seem to like to be fed. I grew them under 400 watt CMH in an organic soiless setup if anyone wanted to know.

Flying Goat

Not totally sure about the PPPs. Out of 5, only 3 germed & of these, 1 was male. Still, it's probably just my time on the karmic wheel for males, as I haven't had any pop in the last 3 runs.

I have DP's MasterKush going as well, with 3 females out of a 5-pak. The MK is excellent for chronic muscle, bone & nerve pain when infused into an oil & put into cookies or baked goods. I went to the DPA's Reform Conference in November & would never have made it thru if not for the 2 loaves of banana nut bread I brought with me. BTW, my companions were pretty enthused about my "snacks" as well.

No diff at all getting thru airport security, BTW.

We shall see, my 3 ladies have only yet begun to flower... ;P

I am on the path to becoming legal (getting my medical marijuana card in Nevada). I use MJ to help with the pain of past opiate addiction/withdrawals. Any words of advice to succeed in this venture?

herbwarts

I am on the path to becoming legal (getting my medical marijuana card in Nevada). I use MJ to help with the pain of past opiate addiction/withdrawals. Any words of advice to succeed in this venture?
Wow I had to do that myself pain medication Morphine and it's little friends. Truth is it took 3 months to get clean of it first two days are the worst. But there is nothing that can get you through those first days but pure will power. But you yourself are the only one to know if your hurting bad enough to get though that. Be safe lady! The pot can help on the other side of this control the depression you'll have the sick and tired your going to feel. But in the end it's going to be on you to get through this.
:tiphat:

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Opiates and their friends... For those that are dependent i hear that SUBOXONE works well for withdrawals.

Flying Goat

Pehkuruder - Smoke is fruity & earthy, fairly mild, but is an excellent muscle relaxer & can even head off a migraine if administered in time. Staying power is not as good - I want to dose again in 45 min. to 1 hour, depending on which pheno I'm smoking. I'm interested here in high level of CBDs which may not be manifesting in a feeling of "high," but may manifest slowly in terms of overall lessening of muscle spasm & inflammation.

This strain could prove very important to Crohn's & UC sufferers, especially those of my age who are fearful of becoming too "high." For me, bring on the THC! I have crossed Pehkuruder with WW & with Blue Mystic x Ice in an attempt to raise THC levels & will update when I grow out my F1s.

Himalayan Blue Diesel - You can taste the diesel on the inhale, but berry is more prominent on exhale & aftertaste. My DIL was high after only 1 hit off a modest 6mm joint. I'm a heavy medicator, so I only began to feel effects at 5 hits.

I finished 1/3 of the joint myself & put it out. There was an uplifting, energizing, feel good, talky buzz, but the best part was yet to come... I experienced a sensation like warm honey being poured over the back of my head, flowing down my neck (spreading at the same time) & expanding out across my shoulders, as if someone had placed a hot, moist towel there. The muscle spasm relief was wonderful.

This strain shows a lot of promise for persons with inflammatory illnesses like arthritis, gout, Lupus, UC, or Crohn's.

Good staying power - I didn't dose again for about 3 hours.

NOTE: I have only been smoking the autoflowers with the higher CBDs for the past month, but during that time I have experienced only ONE migraine! This is important to me because I have had at least 2 migraines a week for the past 25 years.

Don't grow this strain in anything larger than a 2L pop bottle, as yields don't justify using more space. Be sure to keep the temps down in the lower 70s or she will stunt & sport deformed growth. Be very easy on ferts. The smallest plants often produce the best quality product. The best bud I got out of 5 was from a plant 4" tall, with a bud like a tennis ball. "Bud on a stick," indeed!

DrZero

HELLO
I GOT SOME TW \ HERI A FEW YEARS AGO AND I BEEN WORKING WITH IT FROM DAY ONE.IT IS REALLY GREAT FOR PAIN (THAT IS WHAT I USE IT FOR). I PLAN TO MAIL SOME BEANS IN A MTH OR SO INTO IC. THE ONLY DOWN FALL WITH IT IS LOWER HARVEST.i AM GOING TO GIVE IT A SHOT OF WILLIAMS WONDER SOON. I THINK THAT CROSS IS GOING TO OUT OF THIS WOLRD. WELL I HOPE..........

HAVE A GOOD DAY
ZERO

ty for this thread, I struggle a lot daily and almost lost hope before I found mj, I'm getting old but starting my own first grow, and if I can make it grow then maybe I'll save up for some specific seeds later. keep the reviews coming please.

Jack The Ripper

Jack The Ripper

I have a "patient" who had brain cancer and brain surgery and he claims JTR has been the only strain that has helped him to sleep. Usually I describe JTR as being very energetic due to its sativa influence but for him it puts him right to sleep, everytime