What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MDZ Blue Streak/Sour 60 and the Chamber of secrets

H

hisser

Hi, This is a micro grow of Mdanzig's blue streak, here's the info:
*update*: added 4x sour 60.

The "Chamber" Dimensions:
Height: 65cm
Width: 87cm
Length: 35cm
Area: 3.2~ ft²

Pots:
3x square 20x20x20cm - 1.8 gallons. Blue streak
4x soda bottles. 24cm long - 2.25 liters. Sour 60

Lights:
1x 125W CFL 6400K
1x 120W CFL 6400K
1x 125W “nested flower” CFL 2700K
4x 50W CFL 2700K
Total = 570W CFL

Airflow:

120mm AC powered fan for exhaust
2cm height intake opening across the bottom of the chamber (87cm).
26cm X 14cm passive intake area at the middle bottom.

Growing Medium:
Coco + perlite.

Food:
Miracle-Gro Tomato Plant Food
Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster
SuperThrive
Epsom salt
Carob molasses

I'm spraying The coco every 12 hours or so to keep things moist for the hatching.

Biggest thanks goes to cyber echo who helped with everything :comfort:

Any suggestions/notes are very appreciated.
Cheers :woohoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hisser

Thanks! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get more coco & do some final touches so I can start germinating the sacred seeds.

Would it matter if I start germinating in the same pots? I don't plan to transplant, not sure if it matters with auto flowers in such a tiny area...

Bighill

I wouldn't see an issue with germing in the final pot, as long as the material stayed moist long enough for the seed to crack. Would be ideal in a sence, you don't want to transplant autos very often, once at most.

BH

C

cyber echo

Goodluck friend ;D

Sorry I couldn't stick around to personally see the grow :p
I'll come with the camera today and we'll take some proper pics to up.

H

hisser

yeah a very special thanks goes to mdanzig for his advanced automatixx mastery and his positive karma deeds 8], without him this would've been impossible :grouphug: :D

H

hisser

The Cheap alternate power source solution:

Currently the place I live in faces 3 hours of power-cuts per day, at different intervals spanning from 7am-6pm. So I had to come up with a cheap and automatic solution to lower stress:

Light:

I found a $15 cheap battery charged 13W CFL lamp, you just hook it to a plug and turn it on, if there's electricity, it will charge the battery, if a power-cut happens, it will automatically turn on, I thought 13W CFL is better than total darkness, I might add another one if its required, any suggestions?

Battery lamp pics:

Ventilation:

The exhaust fan consumes about 16W-18W not much! All I had to do is get an old UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) Replace its battery with the needed AH (Amp Hours) needed to run for 3 hours, along with an 80MM 13W fan to cool the UPS itself, they are made to run max 20~mins so cooling it is a must.

The formula to find the correct Battery goes like this:

total Watts needed * Hours = Watt Hours:
13W+18W * 3 Hours = 93 Watt Hours
Since you should never use 100% of the battery, its better to use 80%~85% maximum, to calculate it:
total Watts needed * Hours / efficiency = efficient Watt Hours:
13W+18W * 3 Hours / 0.80 = 116.25 Watt hours
Watts = amps * volts, So divide the watt hours by the voltage of the battery to get amp-hours of battery storage:
Amp-hours (at 12 volts) = watt-hours / 12 volts = 116.25WH / 12V=9.6 amp-hours.

I got a 12 amp-hours 12V battery for $21 only.

All I had to do is connect both the 120mm AC exhaust fan and the 80mm AC UPS cooling fan to the UPS itself.

NOTE: you can use larger batteries (like car batteries) on a UPS as long as total watts needed dont exceed the recommended UPS output, though you will need an external battery charger since it will take much longer for the UPS itself to charge.

Here are some pics (battery in the first pic is the old dead one):

You can also create your own UPS using the correct inverter, battery charger, and a battery of course, but the higher the amp-hours needed, the more expensive it will get, 300Watts * 3 hours will cost at least $300 for the gear where I live.

mdanzig

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow! great job, very clean and very detailed. I cant wait to see your complete grow;)

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where did you get the 'flower' cfl light? That's cool, I've never seen one shaped like that before.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Really impressive setup! I like the emergency light idea a lot. I don't think there's any need for another light myself. I used to keep outdoor plants in veg at night with about as much light as that one would be giving you. They don't need much. Peace.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
are the power outages scheduled regularly? if its only 3 hours a day just plan your dark time to fall around those 3 hours of lights out. darkness during lights on = fine. lights during dark = bad. im looking forward to seeing what you grow after seeing that 4 week old plant in your last thread. /boggled

H

hisser

are the power outages scheduled regularly? if its only 3 hours a day just plan your dark time to fall around those 3 hours of lights out. darkness during lights on = fine. lights during dark = bad. im looking forward to seeing what you grow after seeing that 4 week old plant in your last thread. /boggled

Yes they are scheduled, thing is, it can be any time between 7am and 6pm, for example on monday it can be 7am till 10am, on tues: from 9am till 1pm and so on, they rarely cut it after 6pm, if its always at the same hours that would have been better, but I bet the plants will think the end is near if everyday the lights go out at random times!