What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
when you quote him it appears on my screen which totally ruins the point of having him on my ignore list

mowood3479

Veteran
I haven't read the last 8 pages (and I'm not going to read them) but I'll wager that everything bombadildo said was pointless and without merit....
Still putting that thought disorder to good use trolling ic for arguments with evil growers.
I personally think bombadildo should go hang out..... Well anywhere but here. (Don't cops have they're own forums?)

We get it. We are wrong. U r right. And ur smarter and a better person and when u smash people's faces in u get a medal.... So valiant.

KONY

Veteran
Every time I read something about this topic, all that comes to mind is produce in grocery stores. Another one is the ban on chemicals for growing, some of which are natural products (in Washington State I think).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for public safety and clean growing but as said in the article if you’re going to set up regulations than you better fast pace the effort to get the means available. And be realistic about what the controls are and don’t go overboard.

Grocery store chemicals are a bit different though, as our liver has a great ability to filter out harmful chemicals that we EAT before they get to our blood stream.

This is not the case at all with chemicals that are smoked. So not really comparing apples to orange.

On one hand, I am a libertarian at heart, so I really dont want any sort of regulations, however society and consumers are too dumb right now to search out only regularly lab tested meds in order to verify people that say things like "fuck pesticides, people that use them are scum" are actually held to what they say.

I am learning as I get older actions speak a lot louder than words. Many times people will tell you what you want to hear and do something different when by themselves.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
...I am learning as I get older actions speak a lot louder than words. Many times people will tell you what you want to hear and do something different when by themselves.

Yep, getting older is a bitch; especially considering that buried in our memories is an abundance of knowledge from this thing called "experience". The older one becomes...the greater one's memory bank becomes.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
philosophically speaking, everyone is a consumer, but not everyone is a fan of rules.

of course there are some good ones, and there are always exceptions

there HAS to be rules...damn it. it is those "exceptions" that stick in everyones craw. like it or not, if something is sold for consumption in any form by human beings, there WILL be rules to be followed. and you will follow those rules or (eventually probably maybe) pay the price.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes.....this thread is going waaaay off-topic, but some interesting arguments are coming out of it...

Bombadil: I suggest that you start a thread with the title 'Best Global Climate/Location for Cannabis'.

*and to remind ya'll that this thread is about: Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
like it or not, if something is sold for consumption in any form by human beings, there WILL be rules to be followed. and you will follow those rules or (eventually probably maybe) pay the price.

Not when it was ALL black market, dammit!

Betterhaff

Veteran
Grocery store chemicals are a bit different though, as our liver has a great ability to filter out harmful chemicals that we EAT before they get to our blood stream.

This is not the case at all with chemicals that are smoked. So not really comparing apples to orange.
I will agree with you that ingestion of chemicals via smoking is different than edible consumption as there may be chemical reactions caused by or activated with the smoking process. But most chemicals ingested by eating are absorbed into the bloodstream before reaching the liver. Some may be broken down or metabolized prior but the liver is the main organ that detoxifies chemicals for elimination. The blood stream is what gets them there and in the process can expose them to other organs and tissues along the way. Some are even absorbed by tissue before they get to the liver making the metabolization/elimination process that much longer.

oldchuck

Veteran
In regard to smoking a substance rather than eating it shouldn't such concern also be directed at tobacco. I understand tobacco gets more chemicals thrown at it in the field or added to cigarettes than just about any other crop. There seem to be no rules to speak of on this.

KONY

Veteran
I will agree with you that ingestion of chemicals via smoking is different than edible consumption as there may be chemical reactions caused by or activated with the smoking process. But most chemicals ingested by eating are absorbed into the bloodstream before reaching the liver. Some may be broken down or metabolized prior but the liver is the main organ that detoxifies chemicals for elimination. The blood stream is what gets them there and in the process can expose them to other organs and tissues along the way. Some are even absorbed by tissue before they get to the liver making the metabolization/elimination process that much longer.

I appreciate you spending the time to explain this more clearly. I was wrongly mistaken that it was safer to eat potentially contaminated weed than it is to smoke it.

I guess it's only safer from a mold perspective.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Yes.....this thread is going waaaay off-topic, but some interesting arguments are coming out of it...

Bombadil: I suggest that you start a thread with the title 'Best Global Climate/Location for Cannabis'.

*and to remind ya'll that this thread is about: Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

Hola Gypsy,

Yes, true that. Got carried away lol...

Just to re-cap, why we (or only it was just me?) started talking about climates and environments, was because if we are not growing the proper varieties for the climates discussed, issues with molds and fungi are common and many growers will want to "fix" the issues by spraying poisons on plants.

But yeah, I can see this is a sensitive issue for some and they can't have a civilized exchange.

Be good El Presidente.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

Not when it was ALL black market, dammit!

nope. when i had a reaction to weed, i never went back to that source except to get my money & let them know about it in the cases the source was not the grower. the price to be paid varies by who you have to pay. it could be jail time, loss of customers/reputation....i have run across pot sprayed with lots of different shit over the last 48 years, paraquat, embalming fluids, meth etc. nasty stuff...burn me once, shame on you...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Damn, man, where do you typically buy your weed, the alley? I would never buy weed from someone I thought would sell me some shit like that.

Big Sur

Well, the OP is a bit off when it states that the "Marijuana industry brought to a standstill" when in fact this only applies to Oregon and its very poor implementation of testing and transition from the earlier medical MJ growing supply. The rest of the MJ industry is doing just fine out of this state. Also there was a large impact on rec and medical weed here in Oregon due to early rains this fall, as well as an OLCC rec licensing backlog that is huge. Never mind the fact that the black market is still strong here, and these requirements are just bolstering it more, even though the intent of legalizing weed in Oregon was to wipe out the black market (which of course has no testing requirements).

As for these insane testing requirements and acceptable levels, I am still alive after smoking god knows how many pounds of illicit weed from around the world starting in the early 1970s. I even smoked a quarter oz of Paraquat weed that I sent in for testing that came back positive. I also smoked a large volume of moldy weed, as well as weed likely sprayed with who knows what around the globe. So IMO Oregon has gone completely overboard on the testing and is so far off a sane path it is ridiculous. I guess the next step will be that all weed in Oregon will be required to be sterilized by irradiation before consumption, because of the minute chance that a mold spore might be in there someplace and gotten past testing. WE CANNOT HAVE THAT! Meanwhile people buy tainted and toxic food all the time here, with bacteria that either puts them in the hospital or outright kills them. But I do not see anything happening to testing standards in the chicken or produce industry as a result of that.

Big Sur

Not to mention that I can simply drive north a few miles from here and buy weed really cheap in Washington state, because the rec market is flooded with weed up there. Which will also likely happen here as it has in Colorado after rec weed growing gets ramped up to full licensed production. Also all rec and medical weed in Washington state is tested for:

Potency
Microbiology
Residual solvents
Pesticides

Quantaray

Most shops have a strain of the week or other specials, in Co you can easily pay 8-10 bucks AFTER tax and about the same in WA, even though taxes are ridiculously high. If you want super-duper weed you can pay more, but bargains can still be found.

It is rather disappointing that taxes on weed on much higher than booze, when it should be the other way around. Still 8 bucks a gram isn't bad for retail.

Everything will settle out eventually, these are the growing pains of a new legal industry.

Latest posts

Latest posts