What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana industry brought to a standstill by new pesticide testing regulations

raven44

I say, GOOD!

If growers cannot grow without use of toxic pesticides THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO GROW.

legally or illegally.

How about focusing on the plants overall health and the environment rather than treating problems which arise from having unhealthy plants or an unhealthy environment

Ozone water takes care of thus entire problem. If only ALL the growers knew about it.

Get that crap off the shelves! No more garbage to the people!

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
there IS no "one best place". there are HUNDREDS of GREAT places, depending on the strain you are talking about. California, due to its numerous & varied climates, IS a great state to grow in...well, if you ignore the fires, droughts, etc. but it is not the end-all or be-all folks make it out to be. killer weed grows anywhere a good grower puts his plants...the very best i have ever had came from Alaska, North Carolina, Kentucky, & some old farmers that lived near Crossville TN...
woohoo.gif
and yes, i have smoked some damn fine weed from the left coast, too.
thank%20you.gif

Yep...I know that, you know that, and just about everyone (but Bomb) knows that.

Here is a sampling of Bomb's "opinions" from this thread (hence my question):

If you are gonna invest millions to grow cannabis in a place like OR, you better make sure you know what you are doing...OR is not well known for its ideal climate to grow herb in...When was the last time you saw a serious agricultural enterprise on the wrong environment for any given crop?...

...Do you think OR, CA and CO would be the cannabis growing areas they are today if it was not for prohibition? Wouldn't better suited climates for herb be the centers if cannabis would have never been prohibited?

Do other crops get grown in less than ideal climates?...

...You have latitudes where you can grow every variety there is, virtually pathogen free and pest free.

As opposed to the climates in CA and OR, where you have to be selective with what you grow, and even then care properly to keep the garden happy....

...Can you honestly say that if there had not been prohibition, that CA, OR and CO would have still become the cannabis centers they are today?

You know what this reminds me of? Some of the dutch guys on overgrow claiming the Netherlands had the best herb ever...it was just the Netherlands tolerance approach that gave rise to their industry, not their ideal weather.

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

I say, GOOD!

If growers cannot grow without use of toxic pesticides THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO GROW.

legally or illegally.

How about focusing on the plants overall health and the environment rather than treating problems which arise from having unhealthy plants or an unhealthy environment

Ozone water takes care of thus entire problem. If only ALL the growers knew about it.

Get that crap off the shelves! No more garbage to the people!

Outdoor growing is inherently unpredictable because of the climatological factor. If a sophisticated operator is able to make use of available technology to produce a higher quality plant with nothing left in the finished product then why should they be forced to a accept moldy, bug ridden finished product instead? The stuff I sprayed on my mites at the start of September had an LD50 of about 5g/kg, should that be illegal? I'm the only one smoking any of the finished product in large quantities and I'm healthy so far.
My opinion is that chemicals are individuals and should be treated as such. Some are wonderful and some are bad. Some people consider THC to be a toxic chemical, but I'll smoke any pot plants you want to spray it on. Theres other phytocannabinoids I wouldn't want to touch though, even in this small subcategory of chemicals there is a wide variety of usefulness.
That water you're sweet on is a chemical.

Dr.King

Veteran
That's the exact reason I moved to Oregon. Bringing everything and then some people haven't seen in 20+ years in the US. Oregon doesn't really have the "crazy" options like I thought it would lol. No hate just saying. Never used a pesticide in my life and grew stuff up too 25% under 600 watts. Going hard outside next year for the first time, yea yea! Popping everything in the 20 year vault in a month, going to be nasty.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Cannabis can grow in latitudes as far north as Siberia, and as far south as South Georgia Island.

That's not to say that ALL cannabis varieties will grow well so far north or south.
A high mountain indica will not grow well in a tropical/humid environment, so basically it depends on the grower choosing the right variety to grow well in the outdoor environment.

California and Oregon share a coast that runs for 1200 miles, north to south, with many higher altitude areas that have good fertile soils. I can't think of a cannabis variety that wouldn't do well, if grown properly in California. Even tropical sativas should grow well in the more southerly areas of California.

Agreed in that cannabis has a wide range of environments where it can grow well, but less where it can thrive and even less where anything you plant will grow like crazy.

You know places like Morocco and Lebanon for example, not only do these two places have way longer cannabis traditions than anywhere in all the continents of the Americas, but they enjoy an amazing environment where cannabis just thrives, regardless of variety; from short stocky wide-leafs with short flowering times, to long flowering narrow-leaf that can go on flowering for 5 months. They also offer almost pathogen free and little in terms of pests environments.

These environments can't be realistically compared to OR, CA or CO.

Lets also mention places like the Tropical Andes (Colombia and western Venezuela). From the center you can drive 2 hours in any direction and find 22 different thermal layers and a ton of micro climates, with amazing weather and sun year-round. But unlike Lebanon or even Israel, there are more pathogens and pests to deal with.

So lets assume for a second there was never cannabis prohibition, where do you think cannabis agriculture would be focused?

There would not be a need to make selections and acclimatize and cross this with that to get plants to put up with less than ideal environments. Because you could just buy cannabis freely from the sweet-spots in the world, much like we do with all the most desirable other crops.

This is what's going to happen eventually when this insane prohibition ends.

T

thesloppy

You seem to be basing your argument on the idea that CA, OR, and CO all became hotbeds of cannabis growing due to their early decriminalization/legalization, but there's long histories of marijuana growing in those regions that begin long before prohibition was eased, which had nothing to do with cannabis laws, and mostly to do with outdoor growing conditions.

Throughout the '60s, 70s, 80s and 90s cannabis was still often referenced as Oregon's top cash crop and in those days most of the Oregon weed was being grown outdoors on federal land because 60% of Oregon's forests are on federal land, and that publicly owned land can be legally accessed by any citizen. Also contrary to your suggestions, most of Oregon and Northern California is a temperate rain-forest, just like the Andes mountains you mentioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i am with bombadil. i am proud of oregan's rule. learn to grow or step the fuck off
it has nothing to do with the rule , it's how it was implemented. but you know that. good move saying you agree with the troll though, really keeps the thread moving :deadhorse

jidoka

it is a great rule for the consumer. sulfer for the win...timed properly of course. 55 hrs in btween dipping

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
philosophically speaking, everyone is a consumer, but not everyone is a fan of rules.

of course there are some good ones, and there are always exceptions

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I think it's incorrect to roll out the word 'troll', just because you disagree or don't like someone.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
On certain days, California will break records for BOTH the hottest and the coldest spot in the lower 48.

Very few places on earth where--in 3 hours, you can take leisurely drive that begins at Newport Beach (sea and sand), then up to San Bernardino Mountains (snow), and down the other side to Palm Springs desert (cactus and sand)--experiencing all the weather extremes.

Kinda difficult for me to accept Bomb's opinion/theory: California lacks the "proper climate" to grow weed...lol. Shit man--this state possesses almost all the climates possible! Pick one and we have it.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
You seem to be basing your argument on the idea that CA, OR, and CO all became hotbeds of cannabis growing due to their early decriminalization/legalization, but there's long histories of marijuana growing in those regions that begin long before prohibition was eased, which had nothing to do with cannabis laws, and mostly to do with outdoor growing conditions.

Throughout the '60s, 70s, 80s and 90s cannabis was still often referenced as Oregon's top cash crop and in those days most of the Oregon weed was being grown outdoors on federal land because 60% of Oregon's forests are on federal land, and that publicly owned land can be legally accessed by any citizen. Also contrary to your suggestions, most of Oregon and Northern California is a temperate rain-forest, just like the Andes mountains you mentioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest

Two things to consider though:

1. OR and specially northern CA became popular for growers because it was far and secluded, lightly populated and back then land was cheap. And CA had much demand for herb. Back in the 80s and before most herb in those states were imports though, most stoners never saw "home grown" at the magnitude of today. So there are stories for sure, but it was nothing like it became after 215 passed in the mid 90s.

2. Yes, CA has many micro climates, but as opposed to the Tropical Andes or Central Andes for that matter, CA, OR and CO are on a much northern latitude, with freeze coming in quite early, except southern CA, and even then, southern CA has a very different photoperiod than the Tropical and Central Andes.

But consider Lebanon and Morocco though. The Levant and Rif mountains: if you could choose to set up a grow freely, would you choose OR over the Levant?

R

Robrites

Two things to consider though:

1. OR and specially northern CA became popular for growers because it was far and secluded, lightly populated and back then land was cheap. And CA had much demand for herb. Back in the 80s and before most herb in those states were imports though, most stoners never saw "home grown" at the magnitude of today. So there are stories for sure, but it was nothing like it became after 215 passed in the mid 90s.

2. Yes, CA has many micro climates, but as opposed to the Tropical Andes or Central Andes for that matter, CA, OR and CO are on a much northern latitude, with freeze coming in quite early, except southern CA, and even then, southern CA has a very different photoperiod than the Tropical and Central Andes.

But consider Lebanon and Morocco though. The Levant and Rif mountains: if you could choose to set up a grow freely, would you choose OR over the Levant?
I've run the numbers...Oregon wins over the Middle East every time.
picture.php

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Levant!?!? So if everything is as it is on earth except that cannabis is completely legal, would X choose to set up a grow in Oregon over the Levant?!?:crazy:

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Lets say the levant was not in the socio-political chaos it is in; if we are assuming cannabis had never been prohibited, lets also assume all was nice and dandy like in OR.

Consider this: just as the socio-political situation in OR, CA and CO has helped a ton the cannabis industry in those areas even though they do not have the most ideal climates for cannabis; the same is true for the levant: the socio-political situation is adverse to cannabis even though it enjoys a superior climate for the plant.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed in that cannabis has a wide range of environments where it can grow well, but less where it can thrive and even less where anything you plant will grow like crazy.

You know places like Morocco and Lebanon for example, not only do these two places have way longer cannabis traditions than anywhere in all the continents of the Americas, but they enjoy an amazing environment where cannabis just thrives, regardless of variety; from short stocky wide-leafs with short flowering times, to long flowering narrow-leaf that can go on flowering for 5 months. They also offer almost pathogen free and little in terms of pests environments.

These environments can't be realistically compared to OR, CA or CO.

Lets also mention places like the Tropical Andes (Colombia and western Venezuela). From the center you can drive 2 hours in any direction and find 22 different thermal layers and a ton of micro climates, with amazing weather and sun year-round. But unlike Lebanon or even Israel, there are more pathogens and pests to deal with.

So lets assume for a second there was never cannabis prohibition, where do you think cannabis agriculture would be focused?

There would not be a need to make selections and acclimatize and cross this with that to get plants to put up with less than ideal environments. Because you could just buy cannabis freely from the sweet-spots in the world, much like we do with all the most desirable other crops.

This is what's going to happen eventually when this insane prohibition ends.

Somebody need a lesson in climatology mixed with geography.

Every bit of this post is pure bull shit!

Lies... Perpetuated by what you believe to be true without ever experiencing any of the land you speak so dearly of.

I've lived in each of the States you've mentioned for periods of several years at a time through my life.

I can tell you for damn sure California & Oregon have all of the climates of Lebanon, Morocco & Isreal. Colorado's more like the Afghan plains to the Hindu Kush region.

Your argument that these three stayes don't have the proper climate is toasted... Done... Kapput...

Your arguments are invalid!

You hypotheticals aren't going to prove a thing concerning the SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD either. Thats YOU going completely off topic!

Latest posts

Latest posts