What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Growers Mythbusters. Your input please!

house

DangerP said:
I've got a progress update on my little experiment: seven hours later the water is still cold and there doesn't seem to be any change in the color of the plant. I'm going to try and keep adding ice over the course of the day, but as of right now it looks like ice water for a few hours doesn't make a difference.
Thanks for the update. It's good to see someone actually busting this myth.

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
JeffSpicoli said:
the whole ice water and purpling thing sounds like such bullshit... You guys really think your plants colors are gonna change in a couple hours!?? Cmon now, you guys really that gullible to think puttin your roots in ice water is gonna purple your plants????
HAHAHAHA

I agree sounds like a bunch of BS.

About as good as the guy who said he germinated seeds in his mouth!

pezoholic

I know color sells but people are way to into trying to get plants any color but green. The best smoke I had was green as fuck

B

bagseed77

so its 1 to 1, 1 got some purple and danger try more ice,lots of ice, mostly ice just add a lttlle water to make it extra cold as a mofo, like below freezing. cause beer on ice isnt as cold as beer with ice and water in the cooler, conducts the cold more.outdoors people can put bags of ice around the stalk at night to get the temps down, ice water will slowly drip to the roots.more people need to try this to prove it wrong please

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
let's get back to why this thread was made...enough of the purple

let's get back to why this thread was made...enough of the purple

:joint: u cant grow pot in phototrons let alone doing it the hydro way...busted

u cant root a cutting in wet rock wool or if it's saturated...busted

u got to do a weekly res. change...busted

got a few more just gots to think of them. Hope this helps.. :violin:

p-tron harvest^^^

no res. change and water and roots looking good^^^

saturated like a mofo^^

swc/tron grow^^^^

Last edited:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've had flowering plants turn purple over night outdoors but i doute it has anything to do with how cold the roots are and more to do with the air temperature .

You can blame the ice suggestion on Ed Rosenthal. He claims it works in his "Ask Ed" column.

I've tried it with mixed results. I do think there are some strains that will purp regardless of temp, and some that will only change if induced by temperature shock.

In the same respect, I can't claim that the 48 hours of darkness claim is false, because I haven't tested it on every pheno of every strain, but it seems like a complete waste of time.

GrüneErd

dunno about the 48 hours dark before harvest, but i did the 24 hours dark upon switching to 12/12, and on unsexed plants that had vegged for roughly a month, one showed sex as soon as the lights turned on (where there had previously been no prefolwers even). thats in 24 hours.

the rest showed sporadically over the following days. though, two weeks into 12/12 (today) theres still a MOC hollands hope that hasn't showed.

not very conclusive experience i'd have to admit, but that girl showing in one day really surprised me, never had that happen previously when not doing the 24 hours darkness.
peace :joint:

Apollo11

27031SSL21727-thumb.JPG

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I think 24 hours of darkness will give the plants a small kick-start into bud, but every time I have tried it my plants yellowed slightly. After the lights became regular again the yellowing went away as fast as it came. But I did notice earlier sexing as apose to not leaving the lights off for 24 hours. Not a difinitive experiment, but it is what I have observed the few times doing it.

TGT

I like to see people who are always trying to bust the myths, and thats what we need! I was told, you cant grow with floro's and cfls, and in 2 liters and this and that, ect. and from what ive seen on here, you can almost do anything you want. When it comes to 2 days of darkness etc, people need to take two identical plants and do it with one, and not the other, or post what you've got from sim experiments. As for boiling the rootball... i dont know... maybe again, if you got like 10 that are great and the same, try it with one, dry it a little longer and cure a little longer, but i dont know if it woudl really do anything but cause a little more work. and the ice purps shit, it will work for lots of kinds of plants, but yes, the roots, and the air need to both be cool, and obv purp strains do more, but lets get more trials and logs, someone who can take two identical clones or something and then cool the shit out of one for a week, two weeks, so on. keep up the work, and post more busted myths... like can you clone without a cloner/hormones?

JWP

Boiling water is good shit!!!

I went for a week holiday and when i came back my POG/golden skush had fungas gnats galore. Im talking bad infestation!

So i put them in the bath tub. Got a 10ltre bucket of cold water ready and put the kettle on.

I ran 2ltrs of boiling hot water fresh from the kettle through the coco imideatly followed by cold water from the bucket!

Did it 3 times to each plant. %100 dead fungas gnats. This was in the 1st week flower. Stunted the growth a little but the plants didnt hermie or die, rather they trived after that.

HairlessCaveApe

Wow, I never herd that one berfore. So there we go! We got us an Herban legend birth rite here on our own forums! Boilin water for fungis nats! Ice water too! Thats good JWP! Did you Lysolem afterwords? Mabey we could work in a li'l Lysol in there too! Wouldnt that be cool!?

HairlessCaveApe

Hey there a Herban legend rite on the forums now! I saw it before but Im gonna go look at the thread now. Its the "Clone of a clone loosin potency" thing!

Apollo11

JWP said:
Boiling water is good shit!!!

I went for a week holiday and when i came back my POG/golden skush had fungas gnats galore. Im talking bad infestation!

So i put them in the bath tub. Got a 10ltre bucket of cold water ready and put the kettle on.

I ran 2ltrs of boiling hot water fresh from the kettle through the coco imideatly followed by cold water from the bucket!

Did it 3 times to each plant. %100 dead fungas gnats. This was in the 1st week flower. Stunted the growth a little but the plants didnt hermie or die, rather they trived after that.

You are making me regret not buying a pack of POG!

Did you top her at all or did she just bush out like that for you?

DangerP

PhilCuisine said:
u got to do a weekly res. change...busted

You haven't busted this one. This is an argument that goes back and forth all the time, and neither side actually has any real evidence that their way is better. While you can grow without changing your nutrients that doesn't mean you shouldn't. You can grow cannabis in shitty soil, but you won't be getting as much out of your plant as you would in quality soil. This question isn't nearly as clear-cut as that example, so until we have good experimental (and reproducible!) evidence that there is or is not an advantage to changing your nutrients weekly none of us can say conclusively that this is busted.

JWP

HairlessCaveApe, ever played chineese wisper? Just keep saying the word "lysol" and eventually it will become part of the story lol

Apollo11, I fimmed them. But the plant pictured in the middle just grew like that. Awsome structure. Thats the monster bud pheno. You will need to have good control of your enviroment to get the best out of POG. Gota keep the humidity down or you will get mold for sure. And they stink! Lemony fuel. Skunk & kush are two awsome plants on their own. Together they are just as awsome :rasta:

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
the no res. change...

the no res. change...

:spank: grow room...i dont think im being ripped off in quality or quantity...all these pix had no res. changes been doing it for about 7 yrs. now. I dont empty the veg nutes I just add the bloom nutes at 12/12. Hope this helps. :asskick:

current grow no res. change :spank:

no res. change grown in a p-tron..this is 1 plant. :spank:

no res. change grow room in full bloom :spank:

DJ's flo no res. change :spank:

gots tons of no res. change pix in gallery.....Hope this helps. :violin: :spank:

Last edited:
C

Cozy Amnesia

More or less pertaining to growing...

"Some of the THC is in a non-psychoactive acidic form. Drying marijuana the right way will convert the non-psychoactive acidic compounds into psychoactive THC." - http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mj009.htm

I call BULL SHIT. There might be some proof to this, but most people say that the cured bud isn't any more potent than non-cured, just tastier. What do you guys think?