What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Growers Mythbusters. Your input please!

you can't just come in here with 12 posts (not that i have alot) and say "yes point 1 is correct", and then move on.. I think maybe you misread the the point number 1...it says before HARVEST...not before FLOWERING, or beginning of FLOWERING...if it said before flowering then yes it would be correct...

house

e.g. An airstone might cause a ph drop in a high CO2 environment due to increasing dissolved CO2 forming carbonic acid, but only slightly. Also the increased airflow would effect the water temp, dependent on the air temp causing temperature dependent ph changes as well as effecting solubility of ph affecting substances.

Apollo11

evlme2 said:
An airstone in a rez will cause ph fluctuation. Myth? Seriously, i wanna know.

Ive heard of this happening but only under this one circumstance, that you are using a sulfur burner (for PM). The airpump pumps the sulfur rich air into the water causing the PH to rise.

My source was a SeeMoreBuds video (vol.2 I think).

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I find that the bubbles in the rez interfear with a ph pens reading, so if you keep it in the bubbles it will be all over the place but in calm water its stable.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I have heard the nail through the stalk since hte 70's.....sounds absurd.

minds_I

Orestes

Someone bust this for me:
Will removing the fan leaves produce more bud? This is a question of the sun energy taken in by the fan leaves VS the energy the plant expends to nourish and grow said leaves. I got this tip from someone who isn't much of a reader, but has a good deal more growing experience than me. And someone else recommended just cutting off the leaf and leaving the steam, as the plant can slowly metabolize the stem; free energy.

Seems likey enough but I'm sure I can get some answers here

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Girdling

Girdling

GET MO said:
.......sticking nail through stalk???

GET MO

Actually that has a 'basis in fact' as it somewhat refers to the technique used in Malawi, Africa called "girdling"

Does it work? You're on your own but at least you have a starting point to get some more information on the 'how, why, what, etc.' of girdling.

HTH

CC

swampy_nz

Someone bust this for me:
Will removing the fan leaves produce more bud? This is a question of the sun energy taken in by the fan leaves VS the energy the plant expends to nourish and grow said leaves. I got this tip from someone who isn't much of a reader, but has a good deal more growing experience than me. And someone else recommended just cutting off the leaf and leaving the steam, as the plant can slowly metabolize the stem; free energy.

Seems likey enough but I'm sure I can get some answers here

I pruned most of the fan leaves off one of my three jackherer plants 5 weeks into flowering to see what would happen.will see the results in 2 weeks or so.:joint:

L

larry badiner

boiling roots doesnt shock plants into producing more thc but it helps plants dry slower, this is what rc clarke says:

Boiling attached Cannabis roots after harvesting whole plants, but before drying, is an interesting technique. Origi nally it was thought by cultivators that boiling the roots would force resins to the floral clusters. In actuality, there are very few resins within the vascular system of the plant and most of the resins have been secreted in the heads of glandular trichomes. Once resins are secreted they are no longer water-soluble and are not part of the vascular system. As a result, neither boiling nor any other process will move resins and cannabinoids around the plant. However, boiling the roots does lengthen the drying time of the whole plant. Boiling the roots shocks the stomata of the leaves and forces them to close immediately; less water vapor is allowed to escape and the floral clusters dry more slowly. If the leaves are left intact when drying, the water evaporates through the leaves instead of through the flowers.

myth busted :joint:

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
GET MO

Actually that has a 'basis in fact' as it somewhat refers to the technique used in Malawi, Africa called "girdling"

Does it work? You're on your own but at least you have a starting point to get some more information on the 'how, why, what, etc.' of girdling.

CC

Well I Have been a big fan of this process for years now since Overgrow days

foo_bird

Myth: Marijuana Is More Potent Today Than In The Past. Adults who used marijuana in the 1960s and 1970s fail to realize that when today's youth use marijuana they are using a much more dangerous drug.

Fact: When today's youth use marijuana, they are using the same drug used by youth in the 1960s and 1970s. A small number of low-THC samples seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration are used to calculate a dramatic increase in potency. However, these samples were not representative of the marijuana generally available to users during this era. Potency data from the early 1980s to the present are more reliable, and they show no increase in the average THC content of marijuana. Even if marijuana potency were to increase, it would not necessarily make the drug more dangerous. Marijuana that varies quite substantially in potency produces similar psychoactive effects.

having smoked pot for over 40 years I must say pots not more potent now then it was
whats changed is higher potency pot is more readily available in the 70's I had a freind
who was bring up 100kilos a month from Mexico not the pressed bricks but the good
stuff anyway he would sometimes have a 1/2 bag of some pot his man in Mexico gave him I have tripped on pot haven't seen anything close since but I'm still looking lol
one thing I've learned is the best pot there is what you have

Frozenguy

Veteran
I've tested number one with a control group too, on both sides of flowering cycle. Some strains (romulan, purple cream) reacted to the darkness and bloomed faster then their control twins, the other one, trainwreck, didn't make any noticable reaction.

I had the lights off for 36 hours on one group to induce flowering, and then kept some in darkness before harvesting for I think three days. I didn't notice really anything from the darkness at the end, but my plants bloomed 1 day faster then the control group for darkness before flowering..

Wow look at that, darkness showed but three times in my post!!! eerie..

Latest posts

Latest posts