What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Growers Mythbusters. Your input please!

Marshmello

s0cK3y3 said:
You guys can hem and haw all you want.

I have NEVER "Hemmed" nor "Hawwed" in all of my life.

This is no bullshit I promise you that.

Try it and see. Then you will have to come back and thank me :jump:
When the day comes that I start growing, (I think I've found my spot for a Guerilla in the spring!!), I might just do that.

:joint:

Last edited:

whiskeytango420

There is only one king, god picks em, hand pluckes
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SOME strains are prone to go purple. You can help on along by lowering the temps to the 60s for a WEEK or TWO at night before harvest. I really dont see how sticking a plant in ice-water for a few hours is gonna turn it purple. Think your the first one to think that up? If it worked, wouldnt damn near every grower be doing it already? Best believe I will be trying that one this harvest, just to de-bunk, or prove the theory. But I dont think so.
Hand plants upside down is for multiple reason. Ease. main one. Second, the leaves will hang and curl around the buds protecting the trichomes. No resin drips, lol....
Hairless ape...PLEASE go read some more about growing before spewing shit like that out. A plant is only ripe for a small window of time in the grand scheme of things. I assure you your "buddy" did not have a plant he could pick from at anytime. Doesnt work like that, sorry.

W

Weedman Herb

I don't see why pulling the pot off makes a difference in the ice water myth ... a submerged rootball is a submerged rootball ... Ice water is Ice water ... right? Killa ... don't put your plants in the fridge ... it's a vacuum and plants need to breathe. Better yet ... hop in there with it ... carry a maglite and your camera so you can post time lapsed footage of the weed turning purple.

full time daddy
Veteran
if you need to "help" it purp then it's not real purple or your growing it wrong...
grape ape 30 day's......

^lost's of tricome production & purp only half way done^
dose the sun go down for 2 day be for harvest....... if it did you would PURP up iim sure.... i call myth on both if THC need's a boost the last day or 2 the past 60+ was for no reason

if you want purple get a real one and grow it right you wont need a bucket of ice or a cold room

Last edited:

Apollo11

I gave my Hashberry and Menage a Trios 48hrs of darkness before harvest (plants were still in a DWC tub). Both plants turned purple in small patches. I grew the same strains Dr.Buds style and gave them NO 48hr dark period, none of the plants turned purple.

Take it how you wanna take it, just dropped in to share my experience.

NoFx

Ha, I wanna see someone do that food coloring thing!
Just seems logical in a commercial setting.

Dropping temps in a grow room takes energy which costs money (more than food coloring).
Ice water in the buckets (let's just pretend it works) would be a pain in the arse with a large plant count and with different styles of growing; ex..soil, coco, ect.
The biggest yeilding strains don't usually have to much purp color in em'.

I wanna see this done! Kinda shady, (not compared to some mass producers) :fsu: but whatever.

Ha grow out some bbxcronic, add some food coloring, and BAM!!! Money in the bank.
LOL funny shit. :rasta:

Alright late
NOFX

Last edited:

HairlessCaveApe

whiskeytango420 said:
Hairless ape...PLEASE go read some more about growing before spewing shit like that out. A plant is only ripe for a small window of time in the grand scheme of things. I assure you your "buddy" did not have a plant he could pick from at anytime. Doesnt work like that, sorry.
I thought we'r spose to be gettin silly here. This looks like it could be a fun thread. I thought we'r sposed to thinka all the crazy stuff people tell ya they know bout Herb! -Heres another one- "All the thc's in the li'l hairs!(indicating pistles, not trichomes)". And heres another one Folks, -"Theres an old pot plant growin on Bob Marleys grave". ---- Aint this what we'r sposed to be doin? --Sory, I never got it in school either. Hey, if anybody wants to start a thread bout the ice water and purplin I'l join in. I dont realy care much bout purps but I got bout the best "rootball x-pearmentin" vacilities ya ever saw!

house

True, cool temps do reduce chlorophyll production as well as increase sugars which in turn increase anythocyanin (purple) pigments. The problem is that these processes take at the very least a few days to visibly show effect. Chlorophylls breakdown into colorless catabolites is several steps and time takes time to acculmulate in cell vacuoles. Anythocyanin production requires the plant to be alive and use nutrition and as well takes time to ramp up.

full time daddy
Veteran
no bucket's of ice
no 48 hr's darkness
both out side in no less then 60 deg's (started purp'n be for it hit under 70 )
grow'n with in 10 feet of each other, same food from day 1
color is do to strain.................
jack herrer

purple elephant

^^^ even my cat like's purp

Last edited:

motofox16

Mythbusters

Mythbusters

HairlessCaveApe said:
People grow pot under heat lamps. Pot likes a hot climate to grow in. Pot growers hang their pot plants upside down to dry so that all the thc drips into the leaves from the roots and stem. My friend had a pot plant in his yard that he could just pull pot off of anytime he wanted some. If you want your pot to taste like blueberries just put some bluberry flavoring in the water. I promis not to ...

Are you kidding? this is one of the most ignorant posts i have ever seen from someone who has posted this many posts on this sight. Heat lamps? you mean 1K lights that produce so much heat you have to keep the room cool with AC and ventilation? THC drip? blueberry flavoring in the water?

On another note, I have defiitely heard a lot about lowering the temperature of the roots to produce a purple coloration of the buds without actually growing a purple strain. I have heard of people doing this to sell for higher because they have the "purps". Not sure on the duration of how long it takes or even how to do it but i've seen bud that has been colored purple without being a purple strain. at least thats what they had said happened. I think the mythbusters at this point would say plausible, so there still needs to be more testing.

Last edited:
G

Greyskull

HairlessCaveApe said:
I thought we'r spose to be gettin silly here. This looks like it could be a fun thread. I thought we'r sposed to thinka all the crazy stuff people tell ya they know bout Herb! -Heres another one- "All the thc's in the li'l hairs!(indicating pistles, not trichomes)". And heres another one Folks, -"Theres an old pot plant growin on Bob Marleys grave". ---- Aint this what we'r sposed to be doin? --Sory, I never got it in school either. Hey, if anybody wants to start a thread bout the ice water and purplin I'l join in. I dont realy care much bout purps but I got bout the best "rootball x-pearmentin" vacilities ya ever saw!

motofox16 - you missed HCA's post here....

Dee9

motofox16 said:
THC drip?

Apparently according to George Cervantes THC does not drip - it stays where it is once it has formed.

I think the only reason one hangs a plant upside down to dry, is neatness. If one would keep it up-right it would be droopy and bending over, making handling, storing, and such, more difficult.

so hang'em ladies to keep them pretty - :smoke:

del...

yeah but if you're hanging em upside down be sure the roots are either very clean or totally cut off or else you'll have lots of dirt crumbs in your flowers. i harvest by the branch and then hang upside down but it's mostly because they have built-in "hangers" by using the lower limbs or buds as hooks...it doesn't work rightside up. damn plants are too big for a little feller like me to pull out of the ground anyways...!

DangerP

I've heard the ice thing before. I tried it once, but it was with a strain that has no genetic tendency towards purple at all. I think it's pretty clear that there are some genetic lines that are at least significantly more apt to purple than others.

Right now I'm right at the end of a grow, and I'm giving this a try. The plant is Deep Chunk x Strawberry Cough, and it's purpled up just a little bit even though my room temps have been up in the 70's lately. I'm using a 5 gallon DWC bucket and I just added about a half a pound of store-bought ice (what I had around) and a 1/2 gallon bottle of ice. The bottle should take quite a while to thaw, since it doesn't have a lot of surface area. I'll add more regular ice tomorrow, and I chop in less than 18 hours.

If it works it should work here. The big question I have is if it'll really be able to purple up in less than a day.

Apollo11

Im not sure when the purpling began for me because I left it alone for 48hrs before checking again. I actually did it because I read somewhere that this increases THC production (I think it was in Pipedreams thread). Instead I got purple patches on my main colas.

DangerP

I've got a progress update on my little experiment: seven hours later the water is still cold and there doesn't seem to be any change in the color of the plant. I'm going to try and keep adding ice over the course of the day, but as of right now it looks like ice water for a few hours doesn't make a difference.

Dee9

00420 said:
no bucket's of ice
color is do to strain.................

Wow - first I wanted to say:"Photoshop!!Photoshop!!" but I had a closer look and now I have to say: "WOW.".

That red soil you are growing in...nice and fertile? Lots of oxidized iron...

Do you have really sh#tty dirt roads? They say where the soil is good the roads are bad...