What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Males are they even needed?

KiefSweat

Veteran
but how do you know what’s a real male vs what might be a feminized male or hermaphroditc male etc?

I know people always want to select males based on traits they would observe in a female such a cluster size etc but I’ve noticed that a what I would consider to be a real male vs a more “feminized” male is how the flowers grow and open. A real male has a looser cluster that looks more like grapes and hangs off the plant so the wind can blow pollen around. Plants with tighter cluster remind more of reversed females how they would look in comparison and makes me wonder a little bit about selection in that regards.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I prefer males with a large tight cluster. Using males with this trait has served me well. Males with a few sporadic flowers are normal tossed. It could depend. Ive seen almost all males from a haze male with few flowers on the whole plant.
This is what I like to see.
picture.php

vanilla dutch

So when males get reversed only calyx are formed? And females only produce female pollen when reversed? So male buds?(make sense) genetically speaking? So are females needed only to produce buds and males are for? But are they needed. Idk

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not possible No.. This is what you get from a reversed male. Pic courtesy of whodatis, You will get seeds. I spoke to whodatis. The seeds did not germinate.. He is going to try again.

Yes he should try again, I posted photos of reversed male to female it can be done and they can be smoked you say not possible? Maybe not by you and your friends? And yes the seeds I made on a reversed MALE to FEMALE grew. Maybe you should try it? -SamS

Here below your 2 photos is the first Male I transformed to Female looks a little better than your photo. And I did smoke it, it was great. -SamS

View Image

View Image

My Skunk #1 Male transformed to Female flowering -SamS

Sam, you should prob re read my post.. I said it wasn't possible to get bud from a reversed male. Do you think a few Calyxes are bud?. Yes you can smoke anything even the seeds if that's what you like.. For me I wouldn't smoke anything that was treated with Chemicals. STS/Florel plants only purpose it to make pollen, Not to smoke. Reversing males isn't something Im interested in right now. Ill just read about it. Here are a few younger pics of the reversed male. I'm not sure who would want to smoke this lol. I cant see all pics in this forum for some reason?. I asked for help from Gypsy awhile ago but he couldn't find the issue. I cant see your pics in this forum Sam.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
Sexual expression on the autosomes must be tied into to ethelyne production. I’m sure there’s a more scientific explanation but that’s the basis of reversing sexes from one way or another.
You could also take advantage of using ethylene for herm flowers as well

When talking about male structure I guess I meant more like this. With a reversed female you never get that type of hanging calyx or sepal whatever it’s called on the male flower

Attachments

• 2D5F6CDD-2B60-4088-BCC1-C003657EB557.jpg
    2D5F6CDD-2B60-4088-BCC1-C003657EB557.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 32

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry I cant see pics from others in this forum ?. The rest of the site works fine for me. Its only in the breeders lab I cant see pics. This is what i get when I click on a pic

picture.php

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Can you see this Hammerhead, can anyone else not see this Transformed Male to Female Skunk #1?
-SamS

Attachments

• DSC00600.jpg
    DSC00600.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 35

Sunshineinabag

Characterization; Genome Sizes and Morphology of Sex Chromosomes in Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.)
Koichi Sakamoto, Yukio Akiyama, Kiichi Fukui, Hiroshi Kamada and Shinobu Satoh
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/cytologia1929/63/4/63_4_459/_pdf/-char/en
the diploid genome sizes in female and male plants of C. sativa are estimated to be 1636•}7.2 (S.D.) and 1683•}13.9 (S.D.) Mbp, respectively (Table 1).
Female and male C. sativa have XX and XY chromosomes with 18 autosomes, respectively.
Condensation patterns were observed in the Giemsa-stained female and male C. sativa chromosomes at the pro-metaphase stage (Figs. 2A, 2B). The Y chromosome, the largest chromosome, is
subtelocentric and has a large long arm with a satellite in the terminal of its short arm. The X chromosome was found to be submetacentric with a short satellite at the end of the short arm.

Table 1. Nuclear genome size of Cannabis sativa
Cannabis sativa L.
Female 1636 (7.2)
Male 1683 (13.9)

It seems that males have a bigger Chromosome, what that means is up for discussion, but I find it interesting.

-SamS

variety is the spice of life sam
:peacock:

Mr. J

First he breeds the skunk out of Skunk, and now he wants to get rid of males? I don't know, but both sound like bad ideas to me. But I'm not a "Master Breeder" so what do I know?

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you see this Hammerhead, can anyone else not see this Transformed Male to Female Skunk #1?
-SamS

Nope, all I get is the file name. Clicking on it gives me that error. Something with my permissions in this forum isn't working right?.

All threads in the Breeders lab I cant see pics, only my own . I don't have the same issue in any other thread. Just in here.

I think it has to do with hot linking pics from other websites. I can see pics posted from albums. If its a hot link its not showing for me.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Quite honestly, I expected there to be some natural barrier to them forming, but following a link above, I found a thread in which Sam said he had done it and tested the outcomes from breeding with them. It seems fact follows theory absolutely.

KiefSweat

Veteran
I know once you start making polyploids it’s a possibility but I always figured even if your using a single male plant that when reversed and used a seed parent it’s always passing down that first x

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8877529&postcount=1

I posted the same photo here Hammerhead, does this photo work?

-SamS

Ya I can see that pic..Did you use Florel on that ?. Opps yours was 2008 so prob another form of ethephon. Looks pretty close to whodatis pics I posted. These are not mine. I had no involvement in the work he did.

You cant get female flowers without females. So yes there needed. Males don't produce flowers that are usable other than pollen collection.

NOT TRUE any MALE can be transformed to express FEMALE flowers and they are smokable, do you understand this? https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597&highlight=males+transformed+female -SamS

I didn't think I need to be so specific. It takes a whole lot of them to make a flower for me.. A single Calyx is a female flower you are correct.. I still don't agree its safe to smoke. I don't smoke Plants with STS either. Anyone else can indulge if they wish :D

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
There’s good info on ethylene and cannabis crops but it’s all in Ukrainian or something similar. One of the research institutes over there has put out a lot of interesting papers recently regarding these topics. Just hard to get English versions.

vanilla dutch

I can see male plants that produce bud as a future legal loophole. Your honor there males therefore there considered hemp.lol but are they needed? After many thoughts and puffs I'm betting the answer is hell yeah there needed.but for what?

KiefSweat

Veteran
So has anyone actually grown out a population of selfed seed from a single male clone?
I see Sam made some. Chimera said he did as well but I seems like you’ll never know the size of the population he grew l.

I saw someone else say it produced normal 50/50 f:m seed not the 3:1 that a herm outcross does.

Latest posts

Latest posts