What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Males are they even needed?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Cannabis has 2 methods for determination, which one it uses depends on its lineage. Most are an equivalent of the X Y system. For those lines yes. Others use an X to autosome method, for those lines no.

vanilla dutch

Good info.i already know this.but the question remains. Are males needed and what for. After further thought.i would say yes males are needed. :bump:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I made a cross of kali china fem x kerala chellakutti male that is very kerala dominant. The kerala overruled the bud structure and flowertime of the kali china 100%. Flowertime went from 8-9 weeks to 20+ and bud structure was very nld whispy buds. Smell was dev kerala dominant with added fruitiness and the incensy notes from kali china got pumped up. I was impressed how the kerala side dominates the line. For me its 50:50 what males and females can add to a cross. And dominant traits are dominant traits no matter from what gender they come from.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The question really depends on whether you can be arsed faffing around with chemicals every time you want more seed.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No, Herm's cause more Herm's, chems cause pollen production to be turned on, rather than off. Herm's don't need Chems to produce pollen, good girls do.

CaptainDankness

Starting off growing in the 70s i was told by the older growers to select the strongest male with in my numbers to produce seed for the following year.That was growing land race / heirloom variety's Basically inbreeding.

You would do that year after year to preserve the strain and keep your self in seed.

Then after logging onto the forums i started to read people growing hybrids or poly hybrids mostly saying you need to use more than one male to preserve all the genetics.

Then came the female sex reversal .

Now if we look at breeders like Nevil who used selected single males one being haze C the resulting work ended up being winning crosses.

He never did open pollination using multiple males one male at a time.

We know males help clean mutations help keep the next gen healthy they hold ancestral memory and i am sure do or add more so my take is males are important.

Definitely a little interesting how Mr. Nice only uses 6 male plants for all of their crosses, no selection other than females. I guess you find a good male you can hit anything with it and it's going to at least be pretty good. But then you got some of the newer breeders that have frostier weed than Black Widow that smells 5x stronger you begin to realize just how important selecting new males can be, just not everyone can select 10,000 males, females are being done. Supposedly Arjan is selecting thousands of plants in the Congo, then you have Humboldt Seed Company selecting the best from like 10,000 seeds in northern California, they do have males probably not selected as good though. Just can't get enough people to grow out your males, but males get better just like the females, nothing from Shantibaba is going to place in any cannabis cup in the world, cause the males have not been worked in a very long time. At least a great point to get old school genetics that are good on THC, so they're very easy to improve. I imagine just SSH X GG#4 would be have some amazing girls and it can be called Super Glue work it a little and it's the Krazy Glue. Lol

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Definitely a little interesting how Mr. Nice only uses 6 male plants for all of their crosses, no selection other than females. I guess you find a good male you can hit anything with it and it's going to at least be pretty good. But then you got some of the newer breeders that have frostier weed than Black Widow that smells 5x stronger you begin to realize just how important selecting new males can be, just not everyone can select 10,000 males, females are being done. Supposedly Arjan is selecting thousands of plants in the Congo, then you have Humboldt Seed Company selecting the best from like 10,000 seeds in northern California, they do have males probably not selected as good though. Just can't get enough people to grow out your males, but males get better just like the females, nothing from Shantibaba is going to place in any cannabis cup in the world, cause the males have not been worked in a very long time. At least a great point to get old school genetics that are good on THC, so they're very easy to improve. I imagine just SSH X GG#4 would be have some amazing girls and it can be called Super Glue work it a little and it's the Krazy Glue. Lol

People would give there right arm for Haze C if they could get it and a lot of what many call elite clones are related to Nevils old work that's coming from people in Humboldt.

All Arjan did in the Congo and other places he took seed from was to steel farmers genetics and leave them feminized seed that hermied.

From the research i did on males what i found most interesting was there ability to purge bad mutations and by doing so they kept the population healthy.They carry ancestral information and much more and yet in the last 10 to 15 years many dont even use males in there breeding how do you think that will end.

CaptainDankness

People would give there right arm for Haze C if they could get it and a lot of what many call elite clones are related to Nevils old work that's coming from people in Humboldt.

All Arjan did in the Congo and other places he took seed from was to steel farmers genetics and leave them feminized seed that hermied.

From the research i did on males what i found most interesting was there ability to purge bad mutations and by doing so they kept the population healthy.They carry ancestral information and much more and yet in the last 10 to 15 years many dont even use males in there breeding how do you think that will end.

Yeah, all the Skunk, NL and Haze was first offered by Nevil, of course he did get those genetics from the USA and our hippies got seeds from Afghanistan, India and all around that area really, probably mostly Afghan cause they had the best hash at the time. Definitely was a good thing cause it gave everyone in the world the best genetics of the time. All Nevil really did was cross to US clone onlys back in the day, G13 might as well be GG#4. Lol
But Arjan is definitely doing more than that strain hunter episode in the Congo. Apparently he's part of Canopy Growth Corp and selecting from thousands of plants in the Congo. I haven't seen any pictures of them fields or greenhouses yet but that's what he says he's doing, just waiting to see if he comes out with something special.

In the US most breeders use males, so I don't think we'll have a problem there, we even have people going F8 hybrid, at least the highest I've seen so far. So them last 20 years people have been breeding forward in regular seeds, Europe road the fem train while we had Subcool, BOG, Humboldt Seed Company and many other people killing it by working forward with regular seeds some breeding forward from the first pack they bought from Nevil in the 80's. Lol

​​​​​​The Haze C is still a little special though cause nobody really breeds 16 weekers like Neville's Haze, of course Ghost Train Haze has Neville's Haze genetics, dude basically bred a US version of SSH just used some of our best clone onlys and had the most potent weed in the world for a little while, Rare Dankness does regular seeds as well. Really don't think anyone big in the US only offers fem seeds.

Really they make S1's I'd rather buy from Nirvana cause they do the same thing for much less, even Greenhouse is cheaper for fem seeds. Lol, only way US breeders can get a good price is regular seeds, cause Europe has the fem market covered pretty well, we can't do much better feminized cause they get ahold the same clone onlys we have.