What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male Isolation Chamber

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
My only concern with this setup is JLP's mentioning 'gently opening the box' for watering - I'm worried that if I have two or three males in there on a hair trigger, it's not going to take much of a bump to get the pollen flying - far less than will result in opening a snap-top lid on its side.

However, I urgently need to get something like this together, as not growing males is killing me, but my apartment is too small to have a separate, isolated grow area. Maybe a little plinth, a little more advanced than the bit of wood, might give it enough stability when moved to keep everything together...? :chin:

JLP

Veteran
I usually take the box away to another room for watering but I too was concerned about unwanted pollenation so my first idea was to drill a couple holes in the sides of the box just big enough to shove a couple lengths of vinyl tubing through.When you set your pots in the box just lay the end of the hose in the pot with the other end of the hose sticking out of the box where you could pour the water in with a funnel,then cover the hose end with tape or a cork.I never actually tried this method but I'm pretty sure it will work as long as you don't overwater.

JLP

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Hey, that's not a bad idea JLP - resourceful as ever! The part that really appeals is that when you DO want to collct the pollen, you can just give the thing a good old shake, and then brush it up - after the dust has settled of course.

B

Bubble Puppy

Damn thats brilliant JLP ,ive been fussing with humidity inside bags over my males ,this solves the problem easy.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Frogger, this is what I use in my office...it is basically a DIY room air filter. It just a 5 gallon bucket, hardware clothe, a 6 in round duct fan (Broan 673), a leviton variable fan speed control and junction box, some carbon, a few tools and some foam and tape and viola.

Works exceedingly well. I smoke in my office where I have clients and the CF is always on when I am smoking (not with my clients). It also helps to keep the smell out of the ajoining room and the rest of the house.

I recommend one to everyone.

minds_I

Last edited:
G

JLP said:
I've been using this method for several years now without any problems.

JLP

Thx for sharing JLP.. Im going to make myself an Isolation chamber :)

sticky would be nice :)

Last edited:
B

Bubble Puppy

Chamber

Chamber

I was so thrilled with this idea ,i went out and made it it that night at 10 pm .Thanks for the great idea ,i even threw a hermie in there ,which i haven't decided what to do with yet ...

ripOG

Mine definitely smell already.

I'm using my desk cabinet as an isolation chamber. Got 1 42W light hanging vertically behind the drawer, and a 23W in front. They went 12/12 as seedlings so they're a little gangly...but what the heck, pollen is pollen :smoke:

Right now I've got some Hashberry, Satori, and Chrystal boys in there.

There's 1 computer fan in back, up top behind the light.

I used cardboard to isolate the drawer so that it is still functional. Wrapping the cardboard with mylar before the install was key.

And the light-traps on back. I'll throw a screen of some sort behind the fan output for pollen paranoia.

I've never grown males before but I've got to say they are quite nice looking in their own right.

ripOG

JonnybeGood said:
wait, how do i power the computer fan??

This is really easy. Don't bother with power supplies and stuff. No need for anything fancy. Go to radioshack or any electronics store and pick up a 12V AC to DC adapter/transformer. They are the little black blocks that power a lot of electrical devices around the house- most things that take batteries also have an optional plug- that's an AC to DC adapter. So you may have some laying around the house already. Add up the amps (or milliamps) labeled on your fans, and get an adapter that has enough amps to handle your fans. So if you have a .25 A fan, you need a .25A adapter, etc. I think it is best to go over than under...so if you have three .45 A fans, you should run a 1.50 A adapter rather than a 1.0 adapter. There will be a red and black cable coming from the fan. Strip them, hook them up to the adapter's wires. If the fan doesn't spin, reverse the connections. Wrap the exposed wire with electrical tape or use a cord connector. Finito.

D

dafunkyjunkie

JLP, you are a genius!!!
You don't mind if I take your idea and modify it, do you? I noticed that this setup is for an indoor grow. Me I prefer outdoors but your idea made me think of another idea. After I sex my plants outdoors, I can take the cuttings from all of the male plants and clone them in your isolation chamber and kill of the males. I can let them grow for a couple of weeks until I have gathered enough pollen, I can do all of this being within a short distance from the females.

By chance, does anyone know if pollen can fit through a 25 micron screen?

Grizz

Veteran
I built one just like JLP . I had a very robust hashberry male in it when leo got me. They were all extreamly curious about the iso chamber. they had never seen a male plant before. The head narc was very impressed with the desighn.

Mr.Kade

wow! amazing!
I'm planing on making fem ppp seeds , now i can isolate one and still have clean bud to smoke.
Simple , cheap and clever!
Thanks!

Last edited:
G

Great idea JLP!

I've got a few questions.

Is the fan more for heat mgt or air transfer?

If you use a larger piece of the filter material, can you get enough air transfer to not need the fan?

Is there any worry of pollen escaping through the door seam?

DirtySouth said:
...build one of those using a cardboard box and cellophane...

I assume the seams (etc?) would need to be sealed, but...
Cardboard may allow more air transfer (& shade)?
Cardboard may be cooler / shadier?

The plastic box looks like it might heat up like a greenhouse...

Just curious.

JLP

Veteran
The fan is to replace the spent CO2 in the box so the plant doesn't die.The fan pulls the air through so it disturbs the air as little as possible.
You can tape the box shut but I've found that most of them close up tight enough that the pollen doesn't escape.

JLP

Latest posts

Latest posts