What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male Isolation Chamber

G

joesy whales said:
The head narc was very impressed with the desighn.

Now that is a dubious endorsement.
please note,, --not DOOBIEous , unfortunatly.

And probably as painful to write as to read.

Shine-

Last edited:

drfarm

Thanks JLP, found that MJ pollen is +/- 20 microns, the HEPA vaccuum cleaner bags are 10 mics and less. Great great idea Thanks again

dbuzz

Veteran
i clicked this thinking it would be about a human isolation chamber. haha, wtf was i thinking. :joint: reading about everyones bicycle day made me itch.

Grizz

Veteran
SolarT said:
Now that is a dubious endorsement.
please note,, --not DOOBIEous , unfortunatly.

And probably as painful to write as to read.

Shine-
yeah it was painfull but Im alive and not in prison . It was kind of funny when they brought the iso chamber out of the grow room, they asked me what it was and why I had this plant in there, I told them it was a male , it was the first male they had ever seen, then they ask why I had a male LOL.. I couldent belive they were that stupid.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
JLP,
I have used pollinating rooms for years. Mine are bigger in a greenhouse, but for much the same use.
I have two 50 square meter walk in rooms that are constructed with white plastic liners to make it pollen tight. They each hold maybe 50-100 3'-4' plants in containers. They are set up with a large 15" exhaust fan for negative air pressure, in each room that sprays the exhausted air with water to sprout the pollen in the air and exhaust it outside the greenhouse. The walls of the male room have three rows of water sprayers built around the walls and on the roofs. My sprayers are very effective and wash down all the roofs, walls, floors as well as the plants to sprout any pollen that is on any surface. I use internal fans to facilitate pollinations also and I clean the fans between each use.
How I use the rooms is first I move an already flowering female or females that are to be used in the pollination, I only use one variety of a male pollen per room so all females get pollinated by that male. At the same I have already collected pollen from the males to be used for pollinations, I find it easier to hand pollinate with collected pollen rather then use living males to pollinate.
Anyway, Day one move females ready to pollinate and hit them with pollen.
Day two spray them down with water to kill any leftover pollen in the air, room or on the plants.
Day three, move the plants back to the main flowering room they will make seeds but will not cause cross contaminations, I have grown thousands like this side by side, touching each other with no problems. The first time I grew them with rows of un-pollinated plants between the rows of seeded plants to be sure there was no pollen drift between plants, there was zero... I never found a single seed on any of the un-pollinated plants.
Also on Day three after removing the pollinated plants you can move more females into the room and repeat the process.

This allows pollinations every three days with different pollen, and no problems with contaminations at all. It only takes me a few weeks to pollinate 1,000+ plants with a dozen different males, then finish all the seeds in the same large room.
I can also use the same male pollen on 50-100 different female clones at one time, so it makes testing males easier. Now trying to find the space to grow out all the new crosses is another problem...
I like to grow out at least 100 of each new cross in a trial grow.

-SamS

Last edited:

JLP

Veteran
Thanks Sam,I wish I had the room for that.I had thought about misting the pollenated females but I was afraid it might hamper the fertilization process,next time I'll give it a shot and take more time.
I wonder if you could kill the pollen in the room between runs with an ultra-sonic humidifier,might be less messy than sprayers.

JLP

JWP

Its my understanding that fertilization takes place within 15 mins of the pollen making contact. If thats correct in theory you could mist say 30 mins after the deed is done. I personally dont have the resources but maybe SamS or others could test on a plant or two :rasta:

Thule said:
Ever thought about placing a bottle with yeast and sugar in it to produce CO2?

Could work, the humidity from the water might cause some problems though. I used to put a few bottles of yeast-water-suguar in the room. But didnt know if it was working so i put a balloon on the bottles. Filled up pretty quick

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
24 Hours is what I have used in the past, it worked fine.
Maybe 30 mins is all you need but I do not need to hurry so much, I spray my plants for longer then that with water, needed or not. I just want to be sure to kill or sprout all the pollen in the rooms roof, walls, floors, as well as the plants leaves etc.

-SamS

VirginHarvester

Veteran
How does the "average" grower use this if he's started the plants from seed and the male is taller than that chamber?

How do you collect the pollen once the plant starts shedding it... I'm imagining the plastic box is dusted with pollen, do you just collect that or once the pods start opening do you shake some open pods onto a small dish then go and transfer it with a brush or something onto female flowers?

THC•20

Major props for this post man, you saved me from ever having a reason for running out of fresh seeds now :muahaha:

btw does anyone know the dimensions of that box used for the male chamber? or at least any recommended dimensions? Thanks.

GrüneErd

dude thanks for the inspiration, youre male isolation chamber is rad.

just went and got the stuff and built mine today. cost about $20 (already had the fan and tape) and MAYBE took half an hour to complete. personally, i added straps to keep the lid on (cheap lid, warped and whatnot, tended to bow and come off) and screwed the whole getup to one of those castered pot movers for moving heavy pots. just rolls.

should work well for my male papaya, this is my first run with anything like this.

@THC`20: my dimensions are approximately 36"L, 18"W, 18"H. fits a single plant in a 1gal pot comfortably, could fit two in 1 gal pots with some LST.
peace :joint:

conehead

Thanks JLP for sharing this male chastity closet, its kinda look but don't touch for the girls. I'm just wondering if the female plants can sense the presence of their male counterpart, I sure they can sense the fact that there are no males present, hence the hemephrodites. Maybe it calms the females down, less stress knowing their is a male, or maybe I'm crazy.
NO SEXUAL TENSION FOR THE GAL"S.

Kirby_Tokin

How do you collect the pollen once the plant starts shedding it... I'm imagining the plastic box is dusted with pollen, do you just collect that or once the pods start opening do you shake some open pods onto a small dish then go and transfer it with a brush or something onto female flowers?

Im wondering about the same thing, how do you collect it in this chamber?

Kirby

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've currently got a new male in my chamber, and am collecting pollen every other night. I keep it in my wardrobe in my bedroom, so there's five doors in total between the chamber and my females, including the chamber itself and my growroom cabinet. I collect pollen last thing at night before I go to bed, so I don't have to open the bedroom door again till morning.

As my grow cabinet has quite a fierce air intake, I put towels around all the door bases to make sure any loose pollen stays on the right side of the 'airlock'. I can bring fresh air in to the grow from the other side, so it's not blocking the overall flow, just from my bedroom.

So I turn off the fan on the chamber, and leave it a minute for everything to settle down. Then very carefully pull off the lid of the chamber, and go round every flower cluster with a tissue-paper wrap, tapping fresh pollen off, like so:

If you're gentle, and hold your breath, gravity really works, and it all falls downward!

Then I carefully scrape up pollen from the base of the chamber with a piece of card, removing any male flowers, dirt or tiny insects. It's amazing how much pollen doesn't fly around once it's contacted a surface. I keep all the wraps in a film-canister half-full with loose silica-gel beads, and then in another baggie with more silica gel sachets.

Then I carefully replace the lid of the chamber (remembering to water and feed the plant occasionally!), plug the fan back in, close the wardrobe, and go to bed. Most males run for about three weeks usefully, so there's a good 15 wraps of pollen, even from a small plant.