What's new

Malawi x Purple Haze Flipped 1 week

Are these Ace seeds? I was going to place an order for this and some things only to find out they don't ship to US. Very bummed. Their sativas sound really nice.

Dr Bombay

looking very nice, quite a sativa jungle in there! these will probably go 12weeks plus, id say probably 14 is more realistic! Bet will be some nice smoke!
Thank you for the insight. I am hoping that by Christmas it will be close to done. I hope the smoke is great also. Have never had any!

Dr Bombay

Are these Ace seeds? I was going to place an order for this and some things only to find out they don't ship to US. Very bummed. Their sativas sound really nice.
Yes Jacques they are. I've tried a number of ACE seeds and they are all excellent 👍🌲👍😻💥. I think resellers have them in the US. The new seeds ACE has must be spectacular 🤯. ACE has a mailing list and mention resellers.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
It continues to mature. I don't know what the buds will look like. I've amended soil a couple of times and they seem generally happy. The light is still at 120. I've done 240 for short day long bursts from time to time.

Wow man you weren’t kidding and neither was dubi !! Heck of a stretch on that.

Looking great in there. Nice looking male too!

How tall were they going into flower and how tall are they now?

Dr Bombay

Wow man you weren’t kidding and neither was dubi !! Heck of a stretch on that.

Looking great in there. Nice looking male too!

How tall were they going into flower and how tall are they now?
Hey Chrono! Yours are looking awesome also😎. Indoors and out!

The start 2 ft now 5 ft. 5 gallon pots. Crazy stretching. Up and out. So now l will try and keep them relatively healthy 🐱! I think about Christmas time for harvest.

Yes, I find the male plant very cool. I love that plant. It even grew faster than the others and the weird side branching. I hope l can harvest some pollen from it.

I would like to check out the supercongo and zenith etc. I am looking for an energetic effect. Got a couple of ace banghi seeds that I think could do the trick. Do you have a go to energetic strain?

Also, I still find it funny re the intensity of the light. I could go as high as 480w with either my bar or cob style light but they seem fine on the lower settings? Do you think l am missing something in this regard? Will making the plant work twice as hard by using day 240w increase the size of buds or just translate into resources used faster by the plant?

I digress... Trust the you and all are well and you are enjoying some of that awesome smoke of yours🐱🌲🔥💥😺

chronosync

Well-stoned member
" .... but they seem fine on the lower settings? Do you think l am missing something in this regard? Will making the plant work twice as hard by using day 240w increase the size of buds or just translate into resources used faster by the plant?"

-I think youre right by watching the plants and letting their response guide you.

-keep in mind that sometimes they need a bit of adjusting to higher intensity light and can get stressed in the process so its easy to think that they cant handle the light, however ...

-since light needs to be processed by the plant, if they arent getting what they need from the environment to meet the light demand then its either wasted light and/or stressed plants.

-I cant say what the limiting factor in your setup is since there are so many variables to consider

-Common belief especially with ace sativas is that the more light you can give the better because light = energy and energy does translate to bio-mass but only if the plants actually utilize that energy

"... I would like to check out the supercongo and zenith etc. I am looking for an energetic effect. Got a couple of ace banghi seeds that I think could do the trick. Do you have a go to energetic strain?"

- A friend of mine is growing the Zenith outdoors this season I think, I should get some feedback on it at some point. Definitely an eye catching makeup on that one, Its great to see Ace constantly pushing forward with new varieties. As far as any go-to uplifting strains ... I havent really gotten that far yet aside from basically anything in the Ace seeds catalogue. I will say that so far, the best Ive found in that regard would have to have been the Zamaldelica fems I grew. They all had mad sparkle to them and a bit of a kick.

I am indeed enjoying that panama and the recent og and chems I pulled came out nice, Im happy to have them in jars and curing. Thank you Bombay. I appreciate the kind words and hey its really great seeing you sink your teeth into these sativas! Looking great, man. Nice work taming these wild beast plants :) Your grow looks awesome.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I really liked the bangi haze that i grew and the cross i made with it. I bet you find some really nice herb in those. Good daytime or night time smoke imo very balanced high but not without a little zip and positivity. Clear and focused is what I remember as well as a nice comfortable stone with a high ceiling

Dr Bombay

Thank you Chrono as always for the straightforward and thoughtful explanation and kind words. I will increase the lights over time as an experiment with these.

Really enjoy the mad sparkle description. Indeed that description seems the ticket😺. From what l read the banghi, Panama and zamdelica are the ticket. I had some of my ace Zam/Nepal and that had the speedy element l require. I have grown the ace Malawi, GT, Congo and Panama. They are great and l find the affect is stonier over time. One of my problems determining what l really like is compounded by the fact that I failed to label the jars of previous grows or used chalkboard like labels that rubbed off!! 😂
I did label the last round. Anyway, l am making 'educated' guesses regarding what I may be smoking.

I know those new Ace varieties are mouth watering! I have others to try.〜⁠(⁠꒪⁠꒳⁠꒪⁠)⁠〜

Your most recent batches are spectacular and you must be so happy getting into those jars. 😸😍🔥How did the cobs smoke? They must have been delicious.

The plants are starting to get heavier and l am tempted to try a second scrog.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and thoughts as always. Time to hit the hilltop.

Dr Bombay

They are continuing to grow. Amended the soil again yesterday. Free of pests. Just had Spider mites attacking my green poison ready to harvest! Who can figure out such devices?

Does anyone know if the buds will grow larger or just ripen?

Attachments

• P_20230926_113947.jpg
    P_20230926_113947.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 58
  • P_20230925_103615.jpg
    P_20230925_103615.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
  • P_20230925_103600.jpg
    P_20230925_103600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • P_20230924_124749.jpg
    P_20230924_124749.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 58

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Labeling is super important, I need to remind myself of that as well. Too often I dont label something because of course, why would I forget? haha

Cobs were a pretty interesting experiment at the very least. I tried it a few times and was definitely pleased with the results a few times. My biggest mistake was being impatient because the best of it was always at the end after I had sampled many times only to realize that it had just gotten there .. after being smoked up mostly. I will try it again sometime when I have more time and the desire to play around with it

Those are looking great Bombay, both are p haze malawi? The one on right is ridiculous. What a beast!

Id say they both will pack on some good sized buds for sure. Just how much we will have to wait and see!

Keep up the great work my man. What watts are you at now? Go slow and you should be able to get them taking more light If thats what you think they need. Only a few times have I over-lighted the plants and shocked them but it was regretful.

Dr Bombay

Labeling is super important, I need to remind myself of that as well. Too often I dont label something because of course, why would I forget? haha

Cobs were a pretty interesting experiment at the very least. I tried it a few times and was definitely pleased with the results a few times. My biggest mistake was being impatient because the best of it was always at the end after I had sampled many times only to realize that it had just gotten there .. after being smoked up mostly. I will try it again sometime when I have more time and the desire to play around with it

Those are looking great Bombay, both are p haze malawi? The one on right is ridiculous. What a beast!

Id say they both will pack on some good sized buds for sure. Just how much we will have to wait and see!

Keep up the great work my man. What watts are you at now? Go slow and you should be able to get them taking more light If thats what you think they need. Only a few times have I over-lighted the plants and shocked them but it was regretful.
Hey Chrono! Thanks for the kind words and stopping by as always. Yes, they are growing like beasts and both are PHxM. The male plant is still going strong outside.

I have had the lights at 240 and just put it back to 120. The leaves seem droopier(scientific research) under the 240 lights still. I'll see if they are more sprightly tomorrow at the 120 setting.

Those cobs sure sound interesting. On one level seems like you really need to set and forget them for a year. While l appreciate that there is way more to it than that! I have noticed that bud that l have cured longer(over a year) has a different way about it.

A sharpie note on the humidity packs seems best for labeling.

I will let you know how the light experiment goes!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
You ever see plants droop a little before lights off? Sometimes thats the plants going into sleep mode because they are on a schedule and they adapt to it but theres also the case where plants will start drooping and looking stressed a few hours before lights off. This tells me they are exceeding DLI ... that they have had all the light they can use for the day and then some. As plants get bigger and put on mass they can process more light and will adapt to higher light levels but it can take time and they dont always get past the stress so If I see that droopy look I know to ease off the light some, because they are getting tired.

Dr Bombay

Chrono thank you for this. Yes. Now that you mention it. I have seen them do that. Sleep mode. This seems to be more about too much light. They look more peppy today with lower light. That really makes sense re more mass equals more light. My uneducated guess would be that these are probably on the verge of having that larger mass and l should be able to go higher wattage in the next couple of weeks.

I may try to install a second scrog as they are starting to fall over a bit.

Dr Bombay

About week 8 l guess for these. Do you count stretch period? Should be ready around mid November. (14 weeks).
While l had just amended these plants and included some N, one of them has yellowing leaves. So l gave it some more N and earth worm castings. Once a leave starts yellowing does the plant just keep taking from that leaf even if you've added more fertilizer?

I still switch the lights between 120 and 240. The plant does have greater mass now and l've had to tie up some of the buds.

Attachments

• P_20231002_090115.jpg
    P_20231002_090115.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 59
  • P_20231002_082056.jpg
    P_20231002_082056.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Looking good Bombay!

I always count from the day I set the timer to bloom cycle, but yeah keeping in mind the usual +/- a few weeks which more often is plus two weeks. I know some folks count after they see flowers forming but that always seemed to vague to me because different plants have different reaction to the flip and can take longer to set buds. Like these obviously, mine is just starting to tuft up good at around 5 weeks. Those thin leaves, man. What cool looking plants you got there.

Yellow leaf wont get any color back as far as I know. I usually pluck them especially if theres lots of leaf on the plants. Feeding them as needed as you go along is probably not a bad strategy because even if you wanted to up-pot them to increase available food how would you do it with them netted in? I was going to bloom a few out like that in soil using that idea to let them do the stretch in small pots and then put them in bigger pots to give them the nutrients for the rest of the boom cycle. But, instead of using soil I just went with my usual drain to waste coco hydro style. Been adding gypsum to the feeds for extra calcium and its working great, so far so good.

If youre in a 4x4 I think itd be safe to slowly ramp the light up to 200w I'im running 200w in a 2x4 at about 80f, but also the more light you give them the more food they need. .. still 12 watts per square foot is ridiculously low by standards, Im just trying to think what limiting factor you might have that would keep you from cruising at 30 watts per square foot.... still whatever you are doing you are doing great so keep up the good work. You will find the good balance with your system I have spent hours on end messing with parameters with tents and after a while you figure out what works

Dr Bombay

Hey Chrono, thanks as always. I am in a 4x4. My light dimmer has 4 settings 25>100. I think the 200 sounds right though. I'd say these plants could take it. They seem okay at 240. However, one plant seems to be eating more N and lower might help that plants resource utilization. I did add some more dry mix to plants. Don't know how long it takes to become available or if it is working.

That uppotting idea is an interesting one. I'll keep at it. Hopefully bringing in these and a strong pull to do some banghi haze! Hope weather holds up for you!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Dubi recommends doing that, in a few instances I found him speaking about the technique somewhere on this forum. That Gaia green should do the trick to sustain them for a while although as they get further into flower they will need P and K a bit more than N. Maybe look for a way to boost P and K and just keep at em with the 444 until they are nearing the end. Its good you are adding calcium. The more I learn, the more I realize its importance. I had no idea it was used in photosynthesis until recently.

You could also try feeding megacrop or something like it, like Jacks 321. I know some folks who just feed jacks in promix.

The Bangi Haze really is some special pot. Herbal and medicine notes, leather, cologne, booze, and sweet. Not too far from ricolla or jager, but somewhat gassy and effervescent. Lemon and pine I remember as well. Zamaldelica was super complex like that too. Many smoke reports got deleted with a keystroke because that shit is impossible to describe.

Thanks man! We did get some good weather this past week after a ton of rain. I took a few branches down today from whats left and not too fucked up. Plants got wasted this year. Lots of septoria, powder mildew, purple top, caterpillars, etc .... its ok because I will smoke some of it for sure! Im grateful for anything it gave me this year and just need a few extra jars to get me through this long blooming sativa fascination.

Im psyched about the bangi cross I got going now. Thanks for reminding me!

Dr Bombay

Here we are a little further down the line! I added some calmag. Trying to PH to 6.5 give or take a bit. Nervous about keeping them healthy all the way through! Another reflowering would be fantastic! We live in hope.

Attachments

• 20231019_155239.jpg
    20231019_155239.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20231019_155210.jpg
    20231019_155210.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 20231019_155222.jpg
    20231019_155222.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42