What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x PCK & Killer A5 Haze Feminized

MedBelgUsr

Glad you could tell my post was not meant to criticize.
Oh no, no worries : I havent smoked yet enough for my brain to be permanently in "paranoid" mode :bashhead:
And you know what Grandma ? they have apparently invented the Jiffy-7C ... without pea ( and thus without acid ... )

It's too late : we cant stop the green (r)evolution :tumbleweed:

For the time beeing, things still look great : thanks !

MedBelgUsr

image_559790.jpg
The plants are now entering their 2nd week of Veg ( ok, not all plants are in that level but I had to take a median value :D )

It's going well but I have few flies of soil ... I am tempting a trap made of a glass with some apple vinegar in it but I dont know if they will feel like that kind of meal. I will also place glue straps to catch them.

Let's hope we can keep them at a very low number so they dont feed on the roots.

Last edited:

MedBelgUsr

3rd week of Veg - Yippie !

As you can see on the picture, all is going well ... so I just made a picture to compare the growth speed with the previous week.

However, I'm under attack of little soil flies ... I have ordered 2 predators ( Steinernema Feltiae and Encarsia formosa ) as I am planning to transplant to bigger pots in one week and switch to flo in 2 weeks, so I dont want to stress the plants.

Anyone has experience using those predators ?

I bought the minimal quantity but it's still enough to cover 20m2 ... and I have around 14 flies on 1m2 .... I hope they will feel nuked 😎

MPK & MA5 - Veg 3.jpg

Yo Sammy

Veteran
IMHE it’s better to let new seedlings acclimatise for a bit longer coming from a humid and light dim environment to a more drier and very luminous environment. Mostly its the difference in light output that causes collapse.
Hope this helps, all the very best of luck growing these!

MedBelgUsr

So, a small update while we are still in the 3rd week of veg : I havent received yet the nematods to get rid of the fungus gnat, but I'm preparing sticking yellow papers for them ...

Apparently, I have read that they prefer the blue color ... is that true and tested ?

BeforeNemat.jpg

MedBelgUsr

So, after asking Dubi the number of weeks I should let them grow to reach the same final height that the Kali China had after 6 weeks of veg, I will switch to flowering for the 2 strains in 9 days, after 4 weeks of vegetative time ...

And if it's delayed for whatever reason, I will prune the tallest plants.

Yeah, flo time soon !!

MedBelgUsr

The plants are entering their 4th of of Veg ... 🧐

And they are happy ... today we have seperated the 6 Malawi x PCK from the 5 Malawi x A5 Haze and transplanted the biggest ones in a 5L air & fabric pots.

The fungus gnat traps worked quite well in limiting the number of them ... I can't wait for the nematods to arrive so those flying pests are gone ...

Next week-end, we will transplant the remaining plants, and probably switch ( at least ) the A5 to flo .... for the Malawi x PCK, the stem is much thicker and the internode distance shorter ... so I wonder if I cant give them 5 weeks of Veg ....

dubi, based on the pictures from the "white" tent, what do you think ? the Malawi x PCK could also be switched at the same time than the A5 ( in one week ) or can we wait for another week ?

MalawiA5Right-Veg4.jpg
MalawiPCKLeft-Veg4.jpg

MedBelgUsr

First week of flo !! 🙂

Today the last 3 plants have been all transplanted to a bigger pot, they have been bathed with some nematods ( enjoy meal of the fungus gnats !! ) then the tallest plants ( I dont remember their number but at least 3 in each strain ) have been fimed and we have started the UV leds.

I hope I didnt miss the fim and it will give me few more top colas ... though I'm not familiar with those 2 strains at all : I dont know how they will react to the procedure..

The Malawi x PCK are showing a much shorter internode distance, as expected from the PCK genetics, so I'm still wondering if the stretch in flo will be smaller.

Ah yes, I have added a drop more of N to the Killer A5 ( really really not much ) as I feel the leaves for 2 of the plants could be greener ...

They look happy already

MPK - Flo 1.jpg
MA5 - Flo 1.jpg

MedBelgUsr

Second week of flo ...

Everything is going fine : the plants start to stretch and, as it's too early for the flowers, they didnt appear yet 🤭
I removed 1 or 2 small leaves that were located at the lowest branches as they wouldnt have grown anyway.

But leaves are fine, humidity and temp parameters are fine ... what more could I write ? Nothing, I'm afraid. 😎

If you have no questions, see you in one week for week 3 of flo ...

MPK - Flo 2.jpg

MA5 - Flo 2.jpg

MedBelgUsr

Week 3 of Flo is starting today ...

And what could I tell you about the plants ? well ... The Malawi x A5 Haze is stretching much more than the Malawi x PCK which seems to behave nicely.

I removed very few leaves here and there; depending on the leaf positions, it was motivated either to give more light towards the lowest branches, or remove the leaves showing few stains.

Not a single flower appeared already but we see hair development on the stems.

MPK - Flo 3.jpg
MA5 - Flo 3.jpg

Otherwise I think we can say the plants are going well ... thus see you all at week 4 !!

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
They are looking great MedBelg :headbange

You can consider to kick the flowers, by setting light to 11/13.
I have done that in my current ACE-grow with good results.

We all want to see some flowers :jump:

IMG_3476.JPG

P :smoke:

MedBelgUsr

Hey Paddi ! Thanks ! 😊

I have been considering also to swith to flo 11/13 but my first intention was to do it once the flowers appeared already ...

But you are right : if after this week, the A5 grew another 20 cm without showing a single flower, I'll start to worry about the final height .... ( especially for one of them ).

So that is set : in 1 week, 11/13 of light and , hopefully, the flowers will kick in ! 😎

MedBelgUsr

Week 4 of flo is starting today !

So, first of all : all is going fine 😉

Second, strangely, while the 2 different strains have been switched to flo on the same day, same hour ( nearly the same minute ), the Malawi x PCK is clearly ahead in its flowering, while there is not even a single flower on the Malawi A5 Killer ... 🤨

The Malawi A5 light time has been reduced to 11 hours as suggested by Paddi to avoid ending up with a baobab, and seeing how it's stretching, I dont think it will be sufficient 🙄

MPK - Flo 4 - 1.jpg

MPK - Flo 4 - 2.jpg

MA5 - Flo 4.jpg

Cheers
MBU

Attachments

• MPK - Flo 4 - 1.jpg
    MPK - Flo 4 - 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 23

imiubu

The plants are now entering their 2nd week of Veg ( ok, not all plants are in that level but I had to take a median value :D )

It's going well but I have few flies of soil ... I am tempting a trap made of a glass with some apple vinegar in it but I dont know if they will feel like that kind of meal. I will also place glue straps to catch them.

Let's hope we can keep them at a very low number so they dont feed on the roots.

I've read the entire thread and your gals are looking great.
I quoted this post though as I had a couple of questions:
What are the blue knob looking things on your air pots?
What is that can with plastic over the top and what's it's purpose?
Thanks.

MedBelgUsr

Hello,

Thanks for your comments and for asking 😊

The blue knob is a plastic screw, sold with the pots ( and you can buy it spare if you lose some ) and it allows to hold the pot in a circle.
Without it, the pot opens wide, allowing to transplant or take care of the plants in any ways, much easier.

airpot-fixing-screws.gif

I have few other airpots and for some, the screw is in pink ... 😵

The can with some plastic foil on top was a trap for small flies ... but as I had soil flies and not fruit flies, it proved to be totally useless.

As a result, I turned towards yellow pastic sticky pads, and trust me, it's the most efficient product to kill and control them when you grow inside ( and there's no chemical apart from the glue ).

Cheers
MBU

MedBelgUsr

Week 5 of flo is starting today ! 😎

The plants are going fine and now the Malawi x A5 Haze are finally showing their flowers too.

It's incredible how the strains look so different : the Malawi with the PCK genetics shows deep green leaves, quite broad and with a limited stretch.

The Malawi with the Haze , on the other hand, shows far less branches, a paler green ( not yet suspicious so I wont add Nitrogen already ) and a fast and strong stretch ...
( which seems to have nearly stopped since we changed the light schedule to 11 hours of light ).

For the rest, I dont know ... I dont think I need to touch them or do anything special : they seem happy ( one had slightly drooping leaves but a bit of water and nutrient, and it should be fine : it was just one out of 11 healthy and happy plants ... )

As usual : comments and critics are very welcome

Cheers
MBU
MPK - Flo 5.jpg

MA5 - Flo 5.jpg

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Looking good MBU :)

How tall are they?
You will need a lot of sticks I guess.
Stems will be full of heavy flowers soon :headbange

P :smoke:

MedBelgUsr

Thanks Paddi, I cant wait to finish them but I'm wondering : isnt it a strain that can reflower multiple times if you give it time ? Improving the overall quality ?

And yes, you're right : I will indeed use few sticks starting next week ... right now the 2 tallest are around 1 meter tall ... 🙄

Latest posts

Latest posts