What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

G

Gr33nSanta

Hi Anonimas if your buds underground smell of ammonia they have started to rot, it is why I dont bury cobs. It is easier to vacuum seal in a plastic bag, it also helps them to sweat.
When the buds are dried to the point that you would start jar curing, if you vacuum seal them they will start sweating, and after a couple of weeks if you open the bag they will have become quite wet and started decomposing.
The colors should have turned orange, yellow autumn colors. I have found the color changes are more pronounced if it is compressed in a cob. It needs to generate heat inside the bag to cure properly.
I dont understand the scientific reasons only how to make it occur. Any buds that smell sweet should be kept aside as they will be cured well, the others once dried will be ok as well dont throw them out.
The end result can vary depending on what the buds were like going in.
Its like making wine if the grapes are poor quality the wine will not be high quality, it takes a lot of trial and error but if you follow my method exactly it will give you a good chance of success and you can fine tune it to your taste.
Tangwena
Tangwena, sorry for being a pain, but if I figure this shit out I ll be here helping you answering questions haha

I see in the early days of this thread you often say to have the flowers dry to the point that you would start a normal jar cure.

I assume this information has changed since developing the technique using the yogurt maker or other heat sources?

My SpaceGrin cob I looked at it at the 8 hours mark and it was definitely transforming, changing color and look.

One thing I do know for sure is that it went in WAY MORE moist than when I would normally start jar curing, like so wet still.

Anyway, keep watching, tomorrow morning I ll post pics of what it looks like after 20 + hours.

I will then let it air dry for a bit.

I had an idea, I do not typically like boveda packs, I have only tried them a couple of times and there was a couple of times where I ended up with a hay smell like when I first grew weed and fucked up the cure.

Since then my boveda packs have been sitting together in a jar on a shelf, for a LONG time, I was thinking....

The boveda are used by dispensaries to keep the herb moist enough but I think using them the opposite way would make more sense to me.

Sorry if you do not follow me here, but I do not like the idea of the water inside the boveda pack going into my flowers but I do like the idea of the water inside my flowers going into the boveda pack.

So long story short, what I will be trying, is drying my fresh cob for a few hours until outter edge feels slightly dry and finish drying them in a sealed jar using oldish boveda 58% that are starting to show signs of thirst.

Sorry again, for the wall of text. I just wanted to share what I plan to try with many details in case someone has any feedback or could learn from it.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I compressed the flowers in cob like shape, vacuum sealed, it will be heated for over 20 hours only because I will be sleeping at the 20 hour mark haha.

If this works, I plan to start cobbing all the popcorn buds on all my plants, also I can not wait to press cob to rosin and compare! I am sure someone will beat me to it!

It came out really dark and maybe a tad more flavorful. I don't feel like it was more potent than normal. I would probably try it again. :good:

G

Gr33nSanta

It came out really dark and maybe a tad more flavorful. I don't feel like it was more potent than normal. I would probably try it again. :good:

right on man, I am going to wait until I feel like I know what I am doing when it comes to ferment curing but rest assured I will get lab tested both before and after, flowers, and rosins.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena, sorry for being a pain, but if I figure this shit out I ll be here helping you answering questions haha

I see in the early days of this thread you often say to have the flowers dry to the point that you would start a normal jar cure.

I assume this information has changed since developing the technique using the yogurt maker or other heat sources?

My SpaceGrin cob I looked at it at the 8 hours mark and it was definitely transforming, changing color and look.

One thing I do know for sure is that it went in WAY MORE moist than when I would normally start jar curing, like so wet still.

Anyway, keep watching, tomorrow morning I ll post pics of what it looks like after 20 + hours.

I will then let it air dry for a bit.

I had an idea, I do not typically like boveda packs, I have only tried them a couple of times and there was a couple of times where I ended up with a hay smell like when I first grew weed and fucked up the cure.

Since then my boveda packs have been sitting together in a jar on a shelf, for a LONG time, I was thinking....

The boveda are used by dispensaries to keep the herb moist enough but I think using them the opposite way would make more sense to me.

Sorry if you do not follow me here, but I do not like the idea of the water inside the boveda pack going into my flowers but I do like the idea of the water inside my flowers going into the boveda pack.

So long story short, what I will be trying, is drying my fresh cob for a few hours until outter edge feels slightly dry and finish drying them in a sealed jar using oldish boveda 58% that are starting to show signs of thirst.

Sorry again, for the wall of text. I just wanted to share what I plan to try with many details in case someone has any feedback or could learn from it.
That was the original way I used to do it.
Since then I have met some really cool people and together through collaboration and sharing ideas we have come up with the wetter vacuum bagged method.

They are both valid methods but the newer method using the yogurt maker to heat and the vacuum bag to keep it sealed during curing, has a faster more regulated result that you can be sure will reproduce more or less the same results every time.

You can sweat buds anywhere from 24hr dry to almost smokeable dry they all produce different results.
But generally the wetter they are the more radical the change.
I usually dry them for between 2 and 4 days on the whole hung plant so you can see they would be still fairly moist.

All types of bud structure require different handling to get the best results. Dense Indica buds will not cure the same as airy sativa buds the recipe needs to be varied for each.

Generally the denser the more drying is needed but this can depend on the type of result you are after.
It is an art form like curing tobacco or making wine it takes practice to perfect but you can produce a passable product if you use the new recipe.

once this cure become more widely practiced people will emerge who can produce amazing cobs using their intuition and experience.
Its the same in Africa 90% of the cobs sold are mass produced average quality. But those that care and know how can produce fantastic cured cobs that fetch double or triple the going rate if you can find them that is.
You have to know the right people like most of the good things in life. Or make your own to your taste.

Tangwena

Veteran
Yeah some other guys I know tried it and were not overly impressed. Oil on the other hand is really worth doing if you like oil type concentrates.

Best to just get really strong buds and make cobs, if the gear is good and the cure is as well there is nothing better IMO.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ello ello Guys,
This is not really the traditional method and also no sweating but it's more of a Indica, so I thought I'd show you my OG Kush from last summer, which has cured in a jar at 62% rh for 4 months before I decided to use the newly acquired vacuum sealer to seal it up for long term storage.
That was end of November 2017 and in January I put the sealed bag into the freezer as I thought it would be even better for long term storage...
I use small brown glasses to keep the stash that I'm smoking on ready, and yesterday the OGK one was finally depleted, so I needed to get some more from the sealed bag in the freezer.
This is how it looked after bringing it back to room temps:

It has changed quite a bit over the months.
Now it's really hard, almost like wood, but it flakes off like hash, it doesn't crumble like normal weed would.
I'm guessing the matter is broken down by microbes during the curing and maybe also the freezing did it's part...

Smoke from a glass pipe is extra smooth and no feeling of weed hangover/ cerebral slowness this morning at all...

As stated many times before: It now looks like crap but smokes a lot nicer than before.
Woohoooo

G

Gr33nSanta

Unfortunately I wont have time to sample before the rest of the plant is ready for cobbing.

Regardless, I do not even want to trim her, so I think I might try cobbing the whole plant, Id have to do it tonight to get same results as shown here.

I ll let it dry all day and re seal tonight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

G

Gr33nSanta

I cut a chunk I might have a chance to try before tonight. You are looking at the inside...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Looking good my friend seal it up for a week or two in a warm place 20+c and you should get a good result.
After 2 weeks dry it 50% and then seal it up for a month or three and you should have some nice cob there.
The close ups are good after aging a month take another close up shot and check to see the color if all goes well there should be a nice color change to see. Nice work nothing stopping you now my friend onwards and upwards from here.
Love the look of the fresh buds thats got a scary look to it can only bode well for the finished product.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After I have now cobbed or at least vacuum sealed three varieties which I had the pleasure to cross test with a normal jar cure version, I have noticed this on all three sativa or indica:
- The weed is much smoother to smoke and taste is more intensive
- The weed has become much more of a creeper aka takes longer to come on
- The high last much longer (around 5hours for one hit from a glass pipe)
- It has a somewhat more psychedelic character (with ringing ears?!) than before
- After smoking it, the high continues to increase for an hour or so (?!) before plateauing and then slowly decreasing

It's certainly good stuff, but in case of the OGK so different from the "regular" stuff, that I'm a bit bummed I don't have any more jar cured buds.
The vacuumed weed is so intense and I find it hard to still function when on it. Of course you can still do all kinds of things but I get the constant feeling of standing next to myself which feels slightly removed hahaha.
Enjoy!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tangwena Malawi Cobbing Step by Step Diagram

Tangwena Malawi Cobbing Step by Step Diagram

That's yummy TychoMonolyth! Seed bank?

Had a look at my cob and I'd say by the looks of the canary bud, fermentation has taken place, it looks yellow/orange (was medium green).

On Monday I'll be finishing the FERMENT phase and proceed with the CURE one, tried to create a step by step diagram...

picture.php

Tangwena, from what I understand, this would be the "latest version" of the procedure, please correct me if anything is wrong.

Open to suggestions and ideas to make it clearer/ better.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran

Had a look at my cob and I'd say by the looks of the canary bud, fermentation has taken place, it looks yellow/orange (was medium green).

On Monday I'll be finishing the FERMENT phase and proceed with the CURE one, tried to create a step by step diagram...

View Image

Tangwena, from what I understand, this would be the "latest version" of the procedure, please correct me if anything is wrong.

Open to suggestions and ideas to make it clearer/ better.
Thats it in a nut shell my friend but be aware any stage can be made longer or shorter to vary the end result.
But that flow chart is one way to get there that works.

Tangwena

Veteran
After I have now cobbed or at least vacuum sealed three varieties which I had the pleasure to cross test with a normal jar cure version, I have noticed this on all three sativa or indica:
- The weed is much smoother to smoke and taste is more intensive
- The weed has become much more of a creeper aka takes longer to come on
- The high last much longer (around 5hours for one hit from a glass pipe)
- It has a somewhat more psychedelic character (with ringing ears?!) than before
- After smoking it, the high continues to increase for an hour or so (?!) before plateauing and then slowly decreasing

It's certainly good stuff, but in case of the OGK so different from the "regular" stuff, that I'm a bit bummed I don't have any more jar cured buds.
The vacuumed weed is so intense and I find it hard to still function when on it. Of course you can still do all kinds of things but I get the constant feeling of standing next to myself which feels slightly removed hahaha.
Enjoy!
there are really 2 of you my friend but you can only tune in on fermented weed. Time to explore the new world.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Thats it in a nut shell my friend but be aware any stage can be made longer or shorter to vary the end result.
But that flow chart is one way to get there that works.

That was my goal, to help those wanting to try it... :tiphat:

Now to the variations, from what I understood:

- [SWEAT] Increasing the temperature, or the more hours sweating, the darker end product? what's the impact on effects? trippier?

- [FERMENT] The longer the fermentation stage, the darker the end product? Impact on effects? Trippier?

- [CURE] fermentation stopped. The more cure, the subtler the aroma, and cleaner effects?

The more fermentation, the less original aromas are kept?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

... snip ...
QUOTE]

They were gifted to me after crying about trying to find a good Sativa to cob for my zone (Lat45). They worked out well for the supplier (childhood friend) so I'm anxious to give it a go. They're 30/70 with very strong Sativa effects. sunwestgenetics.com

Hey... The squeaky wheel gets the grease! lol

Awesome Infographic BTW! Just what I was looking for to solidify the process in my long term memory.

Mick

Veteran
there are really 2 of you my friend but you can only tune in on fermented weed. Time to explore the new world.

Heyhey, one night I got so buzzed on Golden Tiger edibles I left my body and somehow ended up in the middle of the room. I could see my body on the couch but couldn't figure out the way back and freaked a little. Found my way back eventually and then left again, over and over, getting easier to find my way back every time. It suddenly dawned on me that this was awesome fun and that I could go anywhere I want. One of the best drug experiences of my life.
I spent the morning with a friend who reckons we have 4 bodies. Now seeing all of your 4 bodies having out of body experiences at the same time sure would be a trip :biggrin:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Heyhey, one night I got so buzzed on Golden Tiger edibles I left my body and somehow ended up in the middle of the room. I could see my body on the couch but couldn't figure out the way back and freaked a little. Found my way back eventually and then left again, over and over, getting easier to find my way back every time. It suddenly dawned on me that this was awesome fun and that I could go anywhere I want. One of the best drug experiences of my life.
I spent the morning with a friend who reckons we have 4 bodies. Now seeing all of your 4 bodies having out of body experiences at the same time sure would be a trip :biggrin:

I had a similar trip from Mescaline when I was a kid. lol

Tangwena

Veteran
Thats what I'm talking about my friend. Nothing beats a good trip on good grass.
I spend most of my day there and feel disappointed when its time to come down.
Try the Malawi x Ethiopian its just as strong just totally different doors open.
I thought I was alone its nice to know there are others who like to get high on grass ha ha.
One of those bodies is your tokalosh dont listen to what they have to say it will lead you astray.

Latest posts

Latest posts