What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

G

Gr33nSanta

Nice vape! cannot wait to sample it! :biggrin:

Will be including more canary buds on cob vacced bags from now on... to vape/smoke on Fermtening -> Curing day!

Those are my thoughts too.

From what cob users have stated regarding the waves, and long lasting effects, I think there's an analogy on the effects "modulation" with fermented cannabis, there are the so-called "inhibitors" P-gp and BCRP, which actually pump THC out of your brain once a certain concentration is reached even if they actually transport it to the brain to begin with (remember that re-ocurring "wave" effects?).

I think cobbing possibly has an impact on those P-gp and BCRP metabolization.

I wonder also if the more volatile compounds, and terpenes, that would normally be lost early in a typical jar curing technique, are trapped in and transformed into more complex compounds, allowing for the different effects as well.

led05

Chasing The Present
I wonder also if the more volatile compounds, and terpenes, that would normally be lost early in a typical jar curing technique, are trapped in and transformed into more complex compounds, allowing for the different effects as well.

they absolutely are trapped, transformed, preserved, much like pressing hash and how long it can last with a crust is amazing....

The cobbing process is just all around great and so special as it makes for an amazing end product, leaves more product to be processed, preserves it better, creates a more complex end product etc etc. all the while cutting down big time on the harvesting times & processing ...

what's not to love about that...? :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
...[snip]
all the while cutting down big time on the harvesting times & processing ...

what's not to love about that...? :tiphat:

I'm being a little aggressive with my grows this year and I'm a little nervous about harvest time so I purchased an adjustable Lieberman Machine for the cobbing so that should speed things up while producing consistent cobs at the same time. And if cobs only get better with age, I won't be in a rush to unload them.

Saving time is always a god thing.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hello repuk,

Are those tests that were done on a cobbed vs. not cobbed bud?

AFAIK yes, flower left, cob right.

Just noticed CBD, CBN, CBC and CBG are actually in higher concentrations on the cob sample... though the CBD potency formula gives about the same potency.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
repuk said:
Canary bud (light purple transferred from the wool tie I used, my bad ):

Turns out I was wrong... I kind of dissasembled the vacced nugs, and one sugarleaf had actually turn light-neon purple!

Dr. Grinspoon

I wonder if the lab dries the samples before they perform the tests? If they were dried differently at home they might have more or less percent THC depending on their moisture content at that time.

Tangwena

Veteran
I wonder if the lab dries the samples before they perform the tests? If they were dried differently at home they might have more or less percent THC depending on their moisture content at that time.
Thats always going to a be a problem with lab results. Its just one cure by one person on one day.
There are so many variables.
All we can hope for is a lot of results from different people to give an upper and lower limit of what can be done.
I could produce at least 3 different sets of results from the same plant by varying the cures. Its a needle in a haystack it takes a lot of practice to get results but as the saying goes :practice makes perfect.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Awesome! Strain and seedbank?

Beyond the Brain, Mandala Seeds:

picture.php

Though I haven't seen references of this plant purpling, gonna send some pictures to Mandala. Funny one seed pheno was typical lime-green, while the other purpled to almost black at the top cola (see my garden shed thread on my sig) so the cold temps doesn't explain by itself.

Bear in mind that just by the act of compressing the bud while cobbing, you're concentrating it: same amount of matter on less volume.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thats always going to a be a problem with lab results. Its just one cure by one person on one day.
There are so many variables.
All we can hope for is a lot of results from different people to give an upper and lower limit of what can be done.
I could produce at least 3 different sets of results from the same plant by varying the cures. Its a needle in a haystack it takes a lot of practice to get results but as the saying goes :practice makes perfect.

Very true my friend. The variable go deep.

I've used Sourdough example before, but only because I'm familiar with the process of making it. I have an excellent recipe for San Francisco Sourdough Bread. But I will *never be able to make a loaf myself, even though I use the exact recipe. Making the Sourdough starter, the fermented dough that is added to the regular bread recipe, requires the jar be covered with a cheesecloth which allows the yeast in the air to populate the Starter and begin fermentation. I live in Eastern Ontario Canada, and I can guarantee you the yeast in the air here is not the same as the yeast in San Francisco's environment. Yeast are estimated to constitute 1% of all described fungal species. That's a lots.

But there's some good news, and solid evidence, of cobbing increasing the cannabinoids in the finished product. Let me say that again - When fermenting cobs, yeast can indeed CREATE cannabinoids.

Making Cannabinoids from Yeast
Cannabinoids are natural products with the potential to treat a wide range of diseases, but most are expressed in plants in very low levels, making their production and extraction highly uneconomical. Librede has developed the world’s first in vivo biosynthetic platform for Cannabinoid production from genetically engineered yeast.
https://www.theinstituteforcannabis.org/2016/07/19/making-cannabinoids-from-yeast/
Note that the engineering refers to inserting the cannabinoid gene responsible for the target cannabinoid being tested so that they produce only *that target.

A quick Google search on "Fermentation of cannabinoids" will give you results of research firms and companies doing exactly that. In the process, they can target a single specific cannabinoid to produce to study. This gives researchers the ability to produce significant amount of a target cannabinoid, as opposed to growing an entire crop and extracting the target.

Dr. Grinspoon

I love this. It is truly a mystery and we have to uncover it.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tangwena would love hearing from you on the cob colors on the one I posted? I made sure to faithfully reproduce them in the picture :)

Would you say it fermented enough taking into account original bud colors? I have to learn to "calibrate" :biggrin:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tycho,
I understand what you're saying, but isn't that simply the process of genetically engineering the yeast to produce cannabinoids? And not the yeast freels producing cannbinoids on its own?
How is that related to the assumption that cobbed weed has indeed HIGHER levels of cannbinoids than the starting material ?
I'm not one to say this or that doesn't exist or is not possible, just remembering some of the fierce debates on how weed can not have higher levels of cannabinoids from whatever curing process etc...
CC

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Tycho,
I understand what you're saying, but isn't that simply the process of genetically engineering the yeast to produce cannabinoids? And not the yeast freels producing cannbinoids on its own?
How is that related to the assumption that cobbed weed has indeed HIGHER levels of cannbinoids than the starting material ?
I'm not one to say this or that doesn't exist or is not possible, just remembering some of the fierce debates on how weed can not have higher levels of cannabinoids from whatever curing process etc...
CC

I'm no authority. Is it a 100% sure thing? Of course not. Is it probable? Absolutely. I think it's highly probable that yeast in the air will land on it while drying for the 2-3 days before the cobbing, and will do it's thing while fermenting.

The engineering is to target ONE cannabinoid. The one they want to study. Or they can let it do it's thing on its own, then sort through the noise to extract the one they want. I'm a data scientist who knows absolutely nothing about genetic manipulation.

All I really know is that yeast can modify carbohydrates and make beer. lol

Tangwena

Veteran
My first attempt, Beyond the Brain sweated 36h @ 40C, fermented for 7 days:

Canary bud (light purple transferred from the wool tie I used, my bad :wallbash:):

View Image

Letting canary bud to dry, will go to the herborizer ASAP! :biggrin:

Cob (will use sushi rolling mat next time)

View Image View Image

Letting it dry. It's humid but not too much. I loosely rewrapped it to let it dry more slowly.
Hi my friend the dark colors were without doubt from the color of the leaves.
The other colors were from the sweat and fermentation.
As long as you dont see green your are on the right track.
The khaki colors are the sign that things are going the right way.
I got a similar black leaf color from my Zamaldelica x Kalichina cobs.
The colors can be manipulated to a degree by reducing the sweat times. But a lot is strain dependent.
Practice will make perfect it takes a few tries to get it right.
That is the reason I am always opening my cobs during all stages of the cure to smell and get a visual image of the progress.
Dont forget that whatever you see is just the beginning and it will keep evolving unless you dry it completely that stops the process in its tracks.

Mick

Veteran
Very true my friend. The variable go deep.

I've used Sourdough example before, but only because I'm familiar with the process of making it. I have an excellent recipe for San Francisco Sourdough Bread. But I will *never be able to make a loaf myself, even though I use the exact recipe. Making the Sourdough starter, the fermented dough that is added to the regular bread recipe, requires the jar be covered with a cheesecloth which allows the yeast in the air to populate the Starter and begin fermentation. I live in Eastern Ontario Canada, and I can guarantee you the yeast in the air here is not the same as the yeast in San Francisco's environment. Yeast are estimated to constitute 1% of all described fungal species. That's a lots.

But there's some good news, and solid evidence, of cobbing increasing the cannabinoids in the finished product. Let me say that again - When fermenting cobs, yeast can indeed CREATE cannabinoids.

Making Cannabinoids from Yeast
Cannabinoids are natural products with the potential to treat a wide range of diseases, but most are expressed in plants in very low levels, making their production and extraction highly uneconomical. Librede has developed the world’s first in vivo biosynthetic platform for Cannabinoid production from genetically engineered yeast.
https://www.theinstituteforcannabis.org/2016/07/19/making-cannabinoids-from-yeast/
Note that the engineering refers to inserting the cannabinoid gene responsible for the target cannabinoid being tested so that they produce only *that target.

A quick Google search on "Fermentation of cannabinoids" will give you results of research firms and companies doing exactly that. In the process, they can target a single specific cannabinoid to produce to study. This gives researchers the ability to produce significant amount of a target cannabinoid, as opposed to growing an entire crop and extracting the target.

I watched an interesting show last night on artisanal bread making. One organic sourdough baker got given a 200 year old sourdough starter from Latvia by one of his customers that he still uses. Big wow factor seeing a 200 year old starter bubbling away.

“The fermentation process enhances the nutritional quality of food by contributing beneficial compounds such as vitamins, and by increasing the bioavailability of minerals. Probiotics, including those found in kimchi, have a range of positive effects on health, including the improvement of various intestinal inflammatory conditions, positive impacts on the immune system and even weight loss, and can alter the composition of the gut microbiome.” It also increases the bioavailability of iron.

Intuitively I'd say the same would apply to cobs. I like to daydream that the bacteria produced by fermenting cannabis are peculiar to weed. Probably not, but ya never know. Eat enough of it and these bacteria will colonise your gut. It'd be cool to have billions of trippy little sativa microbes doing their thing in your gut hey.

Smoking cob would probably kill most of the bacteria, but ingesting would deliver them alive and well.

Checkout the Kimchi song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoBoIwwxFo

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
I watched an interesting show last night on artisanal bread making. One organic sourdough baker got given a 200 year old sourdough starter from Latvia by one of his customers that he still uses. Big wow factor seeing a 200 year old starter bubbling away.

“The fermentation process enhances the nutritional quality of food by contributing beneficial compounds such as vitamins, and by increasing the bioavailability of minerals. Probiotics, including those found in kimchi, have a range of positive effects on health, including the improvement of various intestinal inflammatory conditions, positive impacts on the immune system and even weight loss, and can alter the composition of the gut microbiome.” It also increases the bioavailability of iron.

Intuitively I'd say the same would apply to cobs. I like to daydream that the bacteria produced by fermenting cannabis are peculiar to weed. Probably not, but ya never know. Eat enough of it and these bacteria will colonise your gut. It'd be cool to have billions of trippy little sativa microbes doing their thing in your gut hey.

Smoking cob would probably kill most of the bacteria, but ingesting would deliver them alive and well.

Checkout the Kimchi song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoBoIwwxFo
Good post you got me convinced I feel them alright lovely friendly things, its when they migrate to your head that they start really doing the job though ha ha.
This Panama x Honduras is crazy stuff I feel so high but so super confident I could talk my way out of anything its crazy mind controlling gear.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hi my friend the dark colors were without doubt from the color of the leaves.
The other colors were from the sweat and fermentation.
As long as you dont see green your are on the right track.
The khaki colors are the sign that things are going the right way.
I got a similar black leaf color from my Zamaldelica x Kalichina cobs.
The colors can be manipulated to a degree by reducing the sweat times. But a lot is strain dependent.
Practice will make perfect it takes a few tries to get it right.
That is the reason I am always opening my cobs during all stages of the cure to smell and get a visual image of the progress.
Dont forget that whatever you see is just the beginning and it will keep evolving unless you dry it completely that stops the process in its tracks.

Thanks! I let it dry for about 5 hours, sealed it again while having moisture inside, when the surface started to feel drier. Will open and check each week eagerly :tiphat: