What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
That was my goal, to help those wanting to try it... :tiphat:

Now to the variations, from what I understood:

- [SWEAT] Increasing the temperature, or the more hours sweating, the darker end product? what's the impact on effects? trippier?

- [FERMENT] The longer the fermentation stage, the darker the end product? Impact on effects? Trippier?

- [CURE] fermentation stopped. The more cure, the subtler the aroma, and cleaner effects?

The more fermentation, the less original aromas are kept?
I am very one eyed about grass and cobbing in particular not to mention I have a ridiculously low tolerance to grass ha ha.
BUT every change makes it more trippy, light colors one way, dark colors another its just how trippy you like it.
The light is more up and happy the darker more deeper and narcotic but not sleepy narcotic.
Your wide awake even if you dont know it.

Mick

Veteran
Thats what I'm talking about my friend. Nothing beats a good trip on good grass.
I spend most of my day there and feel disappointed when its time to come down.
Try the Malawi x Ethiopian its just as strong just totally different doors open.
I thought I was alone its nice to know there are others who like to get high on grass ha ha.
One of those bodies is your tokalosh dont listen to what they have to say it will lead you astray.

I like the way you spend the day :biggrin: I love tripping out on good weed too. Ingesting good weed takes me to the most amazing places and teaches me how to be a better man. At night I love to put on some nice spacey music, turn off the lights, lay on the couch, empty my mind, observe what comes out of the stillness, and prepare to be amazed. So far it's all good and no Tokaloshe Man come out to scare the bejeezes out of me :biggrin:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll soon have lots of Ace cobs and my mates are in for a nice surprise come xmass or their birthdays.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Whoa... cannot wait to try those trips :biggrin:

@ThaiBliss: thanks!

TychoMonolith said:
Awesome Infographic BTW! Just what I was looking for to solidify the process in my long term memory.

Thanks! that was my goal also... I've read the thread entirely, and a second time from page 211 onwards... given the well known secondary effect our beloved ganja has on memory, I thought I'd better summarize it :)

Tangwena said:
The light is more up and happy the darker more deeper and narcotic but not sleepy narcotic.

:tiphat: I think I've read somewhere (damn... secondary effects haha) there's a kind of rose wind for sativa effects, will try to locate it to illustrate cobbing variations effects on the high.

Dr. Grinspoon

Sounds amazing!

I just ordered Malawi gold and Zamaldelica from Ace and I also picked Wild Thai from world of seeds. It should be fun.

Soon I should have a Dr Grinspoon close to flower and That will be my first real cob, I think.

I have a blueberry haze flowering right now I wonder if it is worth cobbing?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just a quick note to let people know that if Corn on the Cob isn't available in the grocery store, especially at this time of year, you can get banana leaves at most Chinese grocers. T&T in Canada always has them, as do many shops in China Town.

They use them for that delicious Sticky Rice!

Edit: I forgot to mention - Lotus Leaves are also available, but they would be somewhat delicate after a sweat.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Sounds amazing!

I just ordered Malawi gold and Zamaldelica from Ace and I also picked Wild Thai from world of seeds. It should be fun.

Soon I should have a Dr Grinspoon close to flower and That will be my first real cob, I think.

I have a blueberry haze flowering right now I wonder if it is worth cobbing?
Anything is worth cobbing my friend, its just some like strong sativas shine brighter after this cure.
I know a guy who's work I have featured in my thread who makes the craziest amazing slabs of cured weed from any strain he grows.
Once you get into it and get it right pretty much everything else is forgotten. I dont even make oil from cobs any more the cobs are more than enough for my weak mind.

Dr. Grinspoon

Tangwena,

I love pure sativas above the rest. I have struggled a bit through the years growing indoors but its legal now and easy to do.... I try not to grow sativas outside and they are something else indoors but they are coming soon.

I Have a couple indicas that will be ready in ~50 days. I may cob them, but I don't know. Black Dog is one strain that I love to smoke green but definitely heavy indica. Will it be good to cob? Maybe we'll seee.

I have one called Ditch Delight that is supposed to be sativa side, but again we'll see. Blueberry Haze, too. :puppydoge:puppydoge

And Dr Grinspoon... It will be 100 days or more once this clone gats her footing...

Long post...

Keepem green:tiphat:

G

Gr33nSanta

Just a quick note to let people know that if Corn on the Cob isn't available in the grocery store, especially at this time of year, you can get banana leaves at most Chinese grocers. T&T in Canada always has them, as do many shops in China Town.

They use them for that delicious Sticky Rice!

Edit: I forgot to mention - Lotus Leaves are also available, but they would be somewhat delicate after a sweat.

I just did my cobs with no wrapping, straight pot, I hope it works.

One thing I noticed, is after the sweat with heat, halfway through the sweat, I opened every bag or almost all of them and re-sealed them because the cobs shrunk a bit. Not sure it was necessary to remove excess gaps in the bags.

Again at the end of the sweat, I reopened and re-sealed the ones that shrunk to minimize how much air is in the bag.

Anyway, after the sweat, only one had a little bit of water beads on the bag, I did open about half of them to air out and re-sealed 2 hours later. The other half un-touched since after the sweat.

Everything is sealed up, for 7 days to ferment I ll keep an eye on them.

Then I ll open and let them dry out. I have around 8-10 cobs. I might try different things.

I hope I do not end up with compost haha.

The first one I made is almost all smoked (impatient me), it is finally starting to burn smoother 3 days after the sweat, I am looking forward to try the real deal. I have noticed that with only the initial fermentation, it really changed the way my spacegrin tastes, not better or worse, but different. One thing I like is it leaves an after taste that last a long time.

Finally, besides my spacegrin, I also cobbed my Sweet Pine, only the small popcorn buds. This is one of my sweetest smelling plant, after the sweat, I opened the bag to re-seal better and man oh man the smell was so complex and rich, I cannot wait to open that one 7 days from now.

G

Gr33nSanta

12 cobs total, 11 SpaceGrin and one Sweet Pine. I think I gave them about 20-24 hours of 40+ Celcius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjtQ6Cv1HE&t=2s

Ready to rest for 7 days at room temps. (20+ Celcius here)

I can not wait to taste the end product, the main problem is, I already know this is something that not many people will be into and even if it is as good as I hope, it will take time to convert people.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
12 cobs total, 11 SpaceGrin and one Sweet Pine. I think I gave them about 20-24 hours of 40+ Celcius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjtQ6Cv1HE&t=2s

Ready to rest for 7 days at room temps. (20+ Celcius here)

I can not wait to taste the end product, the main problem is, I already know this is something that not many people will be into and even if it is as good as I hope, it will take time to convert people.

It's a marketing thing. If they're poorly wrapped and tied with nylon string like you just thru it together, I don't think it'll sell. Think of Chinese Sticky Rice. If I just drop a blob on your plate you'll say "WTF!" But if you're presented with a nicely wrapped package, it make the experience great.

I think you have to wrap them nicely, tied with hemp fiber you peeled from your stalks, then bundle together in a nice package of 4-5 (or 10 even), you'll have a nice presentation. I'm planning on doing about 200. Sometimes you have to take risks to be in front. If you never take risks, you're always bottom feeding on crumbs.

If you see only one apple on a shelf, you won't buy it. But it you see a bushel or shinny apples, you'll buy a bunch. Same thing with anything really. Cobs included. Presentation is important.

Last edited:
G

Gr33nSanta

It's a marketing thing. If they're poorly wrapped and tied with nylon string like you just thru it together, I don't think it'll sell. Think of Chinese Sticky Rice. If I just drop a blob on your plate you'll sat "WTF!" But if you're presented with a nicely wrapped package, it make the experience great.

I think you have to wrap them nicely, tied with hemp fiber you peeled from your stalks, then bundle together in a nice package of 4-5 (or 10 even), you'll have a nice presentation. I'm planning on doing about 200. Sometimes you have to take risks to be in front. If you never take risks, you're always bottom feeding on crumbs.

If you see only one apple on a shelf, you won't buy it. But it you see a bushel or shinny apples, you'll buy a bunch. Same thing with anything really. Cobs included. Presentation is important.
pile it high, watch it fly?

Tangwena

Veteran
I just did my cobs with no wrapping, straight pot, I hope it works.

One thing I noticed, is after the sweat with heat, halfway through the sweat, I opened every bag or almost all of them and re-sealed them because the cobs shrunk a bit. Not sure it was necessary to remove excess gaps in the bags.

Again at the end of the sweat, I reopened and re-sealed the ones that shrunk to minimize how much air is in the bag.

Anyway, after the sweat, only one had a little bit of water beads on the bag, I did open about half of them to air out and re-sealed 2 hours later. The other half un-touched since after the sweat.

Everything is sealed up, for 7 days to ferment I ll keep an eye on them.

Then I ll open and let them dry out. I have around 8-10 cobs. I might try different things.

I hope I do not end up with compost haha.

The first one I made is almost all smoked (impatient me), it is finally starting to burn smoother 3 days after the sweat, I am looking forward to try the real deal. I have noticed that with only the initial fermentation, it really changed the way my spacegrin tastes, not better or worse, but different. One thing I like is it leaves an after taste that last a long time.

Finally, besides my spacegrin, I also cobbed my Sweet Pine, only the small popcorn buds. This is one of my sweetest smelling plant, after the sweat, I opened the bag to re-seal better and man oh man the smell was so complex and rich, I cannot wait to open that one 7 days from now.
Nice experiments with the cobs my friend all the nice smells bode well for a good result.
If it smells alluring it is def fermenting.
It doesn't do any harm to open them and take a sniff or even dry them a bit. You are guiding them to what appeals to you so trust your nose.

Tangwena

Veteran
It's a marketing thing. If they're poorly wrapped and tied with nylon string like you just thru it together, I don't think it'll sell. Think of Chinese Sticky Rice. If I just drop a blob on your plate you'll sat "WTF!" But if you're presented with a nicely wrapped package, it make the experience great.

All you have to do is give small one skin samples the rest will follow.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
nksv said:
To the dude who did the chart: LEGEND!

:tiphat: thanks! :biggrin:

I'd say cobbing benefits are:

- Faster turnaround to final product
- Volume reduction
- More thorough plant matter breakdown
- Makes it edible w/o further processing
- Increase in concentration
- Smoother smoke/vape

From tests it seems cobbing increases THC concentration (have a look at Tangwena cobbing album) but so far doesn't seem to affect CBD.

picture.php
picture.php

I don't think this is conclusive regarding of medical benefits, it would be interesting testing a high CBD strain like ACE's Lebanese for example.

Interaction between THC, terpenes, and rest of CBD/CBG makes for a unique medical effect, so it would be interesting hearing medical users that tested cured flowers vs cob... one thing is for sure, as it increases effect duration, and its "cleanliness", IMHO cobs should be an improvement over just cured flowers for medical applications.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Been thinking, and the maize skin/husks may have an additional advantage: due to its shape,it increases cob surface, which should help for more homogeneous gas interchange, etc.

If you look closely at unwrapped cobs, you'll notice those that were wrapped in corn husks are easily spottable due to the grooves left in the cobs (and hence surface increase)

E.g. MaryMaven's:

picture.php

Tangwena's:

picture.php

@Gr33nSanta: wow, impressive quality video! Is that from a phone?? Regarding appeal, I'm with TychoMonolyth, I think it's a matter of presentation, though once one tries it won't care a bit about appearance:

Tangwena said:
All you have to do is give small one skin samples the rest will follow.

... or will possibly find more appealing a cob than a pretty dried flower afterwards once they relate the enhanced effects to cobs.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
My first attempt: Beyond the Brain

My first attempt: Beyond the Brain

My first attempt, Beyond the Brain sweated 36h @ 40C, fermented for 7 days:

Canary bud (light purple transferred from the wool tie I used, my bad :wallbash:):

picture.php

Letting canary bud to dry, will go to the herborizer ASAP! :biggrin:

Cob (will use sushi rolling mat next time)

picture.php
picture.php

Letting it dry. It's humid but not too much. I loosely rewrapped it to let it dry more slowly.

Last edited:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Aaaw smell... now I understand :) lemony-mangoey schweeet! No hints of ammonia neither strong acetic tones.

Original buds
picture.php

@ Cobbing time: 18g @ 83% RH

attachment.php

attachment.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Aaaw smell... now I understand :) lemony-mangoey schweeet! No hints of ammonia neither strong acetic tones.

Original buds
View Image

@ Cobbing time: 18g @ 83% RH

View Image

View Image

I kinda like the purple. lol
And I like how you included that lone bud in the vac. Nice touch.

We barely know why Indica and Sativa, with all their similarities, result is such different effects. It's hard to say what the fermentation does. Why does fermenting white bread dough (sourdough) reduce it's glycemic load making it easy to regulate our blood sugar? We just don't know why. But it's safe to say that the fermentation of foods has huge health benefits. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see that with the cannabinoids in Cobs.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
I kinda like the purple. lol
And I like how you included that lone bud in the vac. Nice touch.

Nice vape! cannot wait to sample it! :biggrin:

Will be including more canary buds on cob vacced bags from now on... to vape/smoke on Fermenting -> Curing day!

TychoMonolyth said:
We barely know why Indica and Sativa, with all their similarities, result is such different effects. It's hard to say what the fermentation does. Why does fermenting white bread dough (sourdough) reduce it's glycemic load making it easy to regulate our blood sugar? We just don't know why. But it's safe to say that the fermentation of foods has huge health benefits. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see that with the cannabinoids in Cobs.

Those are my thoughts too.

Subtle chemistry changes of the same primitive compound can have a dramatic impact on the metabolites generated, and even how do they "travel" and are later absorbed by our brain.

From what cob users have stated regarding the waves, and long lasting effects, I think there's an analogy on the effects "modulation" with fermented cannabis, there are the so-called "inhibitors" P-gp and BCRP, which actually pump THC out of your brain once a certain concentration is reached even if they actually transport it to the brain to begin with (remember that re-ocurring "wave" effects?).

I think cobbing possibly has an impact on those P-gp and BCRP metabolization.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts