What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Nice color change going on there my friend love the golden look.

Thank you ! It was my most wet attempt. Again behind the heating - no temps measured. 14h and I saw wet panties :)
Amazing smell change. From lemon blackpowder to sweet fruit salat with hints of something harsh..

I try to focus more on the afterglow. Seems like sponginess or kind of the loss of it could help to find the right moisture level.

After overnight dry I resealed the thinner one. The other has more moisture and is shortly before it’s getting to more rotten type. Still more sponginess.

I love the whole process , in General I love to use my intuition like I do with cooking.

Keep on cobbing

Happy Sunday

IMG_3924.jpeg IMG_3930.jpeg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thank you ! It was my most wet attempt. Again behind the heating - no temps measured. 14h and I saw wet panties :)
Amazing smell change. From lemon blackpowder to sweet fruit salat with hints of something harsh..

I try to focus more on the afterglow. Seems like sponginess or kind of the loss of it could help to find the right moisture level.

After overnight dry I resealed the thinner one. The other has more moisture and is shortly before it’s getting to more rotten type. Still more sponginess.

I love the whole process , in General I love to use my intuition like I do with cooking.

Keep on cobbing

You seem to have taken to it "like a duck to water"

Tangwena

Veteran

Keep on cobbing

Happy Sunday

View attachment 18908554 View attachment 18908555
Its a dangerous place with buds like those and moisture, but the smell is always your guide.
Those buds look amazing perfect for cobbing but because they are delicate, as is their aroma a light touch will bring out the best in them.
I love curing buds like that it takes a lot more skill in my book but the results can be electrifying.
I am flooded with mature cobs but I'm dying to harvest some more buds to make more.
The excitement is in the hunt not the kill ha ha. I just love playing with buds ha ha.

CDNINCA

Hiya Tang, you were right.

A while back, due to time and space, I vac packed some buds and stashed ‘em, still a tad moist. 65F-67F in the dark. You guessed they might have done something. 😎

1hr launch time, 4-5hr ride, 2yr old purZamal x New Malawi Killer. Not for everyday, hehe.

full

Peace
F2F
@F2F , Classic! Sounds like you landed on a winner, excellent!! You got me a the "Not for everyday use" bit. Nice shot too, thanks for sharing!

Taima-da

Hey Taima - Cob Oil?? Is this coconut oil infused from cob?? If so, is it made the same as infusing decarbed weed?? And are the effects similar to chewed cob?? :unsure: :dunno:

I just followed Tangwena's methodology, soak the ground cobs in food grade ethanol and evaporate thoroughly until all the alcohol is gone.
(Can be cleaned up a bit further by adding a little hot water and sticking in dehumidifier to remove the last of the alcohol, or just left in the fridge for a few days)
No decarb.
Sticky dark liquid when warm but shatter hard when left in the fridge. Tricky to handle so I rubbed into some ground up cob.
You can evaporate all the alcohol thoroughly, there is no solvent left in the end and is effectively smokable.

I'd like to try a super critical CO2 extraction for this, but since I no longer inhale, and love the chew so much, I don't know if/when I'll get around to it.

Dunno if was the input material or the oil factor but the effect was basically sledge hammer

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
I just opened 4 Vacuum bags. Oh my gosh :ROFLMAO: I really hit the sweet spot. I will just let it breathe and then reseal till x-mas!

I told a friend about this method and he was kind of excited with which euphoria I was reporting xD I promised him to bring one Bag to our next meeting to give him the opportunity to open a bag and take the first breath :)

I guess I will show him this one. Sugar black rose x ultra early love. Lemon sugar explosion. IMG_4001.jpeg

Or this one ?! Biddy early x serious 6
Smells like pure hash :)

IMG_4002.jpeg

Happy Monday all together

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I just opened 4 Vacuum bags. Oh my gosh :ROFLMAO: I really hit the sweet spot. I will just let it breathe and then reseal till x-mas!

I told a friend about this method and he was kind of excited with which euphoria I was reporting xD I promised him to bring one Bag to our next meeting to give him the opportunity to open a bag and take the first breath :)

I guess I will show him this one. Sugar black rose x ultra early love. Lemon sugar explosion.

Or this one ?! Biddy early x serious 6
Smells like pure hash :)

Happy Monday all together

Sounds like you have it well sorted! Congratulations!

Tangwena

Veteran
I promised him to bring one Bag to our next meeting to give him the opportunity to open a bag and take the first breath :)
That would be an amazing thing to do brother.
I sent an empty bag sealed up to hold the aroma along with some sealed cobs to a friend just so he would know what to look for, there is nothing better in my book than sniffing those sweet aromas ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
I just followed Tangwena's methodology, soak the ground cobs in food grade ethanol and evaporate thoroughly until all the alcohol is gone.
(Can be cleaned up a bit further by adding a little hot water and sticking in dehumidifier to remove the last of the alcohol, or just left in the fridge for a few days)
No decarb.
Sticky dark liquid when warm but shatter hard when left in the fridge. Tricky to handle so I rubbed into some ground up cob.
You can evaporate all the alcohol thoroughly, there is no solvent left in the end and is effectively smokable.

I'd like to try a super critical CO2 extraction for this, but since I no longer inhale, and love the chew so much, I don't know if/when I'll get around to it.

Dunno if was the input material or the oil factor but the effect was basically sledge hammer
We used to make oil from Malawi cobs, smoked it was like pure crystal meth except it tasted better ha ha.
We hit some papers with oil and ground up cob before going to a party way back in the day.
It turned into a trip with my friend driving over a bouncers foot when he was refused entry and then walking off with someone elses jacket and tossing their keys into the bush.
The owner caught up with him and the bouncers started to kick his ass but he took them all on it was mayhem.
Some people shouldn't smoke cob oil especially speedy Malawi cob oil ha ha.
lucky for me my future wife forced me to give up smoking cob oil its just way to strong.

Perdido

Thanks @Tangwena, that's ahm ... comforting ;)
I squeezed it again and some juice collected at the top of the cob. A bit of paper towel should absorb that I guess. Its getting smaller still. Smell ist still flowery.
Do you people think I can leave it like that for a month or should I get it out again for a second dry after some days? (It's my first try ever)

FLC x GMG cob 03.jpg

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Ended up re-wrapping as they shrunk a bit. I didn’t see any mold so I thinks it’s looking good for now. Smell wasn’t anything impressive but there are still some interesting notes, almost like spices or incense maybe. I’ll leave it for another week or so unless it needs to be rebinded again.

Attachments

• IMG_6664.jpeg
    IMG_6664.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47

Tangwena

Veteran
Ended up re-wrapping as they shrunk a bit. I didn’t see any mold so I thinks it’s looking good for now. Smell wasn’t anything impressive but there are still some interesting notes, almost like spices or incense maybe. I’ll leave it for another week or so unless it needs to be rebinded again.
Its done now my friend dry it and reseal it to age.
Its gone past any terpy cure stage but depending on what was used to make them it will still be good.
I have similar dark colored cobs dried and 2 years or more old that are mind warping.
BUT it depends on the pot used to make them big time. If it was strong and enjoyable before cobbing it will be more enjoyable after aging.
You need to use strong buds to make strong cobs what did you use to make them?

Taima-da

Perdido,
I would probably start to dry it once as the smell let's you know that the ferment has started. This way, with diminishing moisture, mould had less and less chance to get going. Something like: close it up for a couple days, open and let it dry for a few hours, close it for a couple of days, pushing a little more air out each time... And so on... Until it's dry enough that it's stable. By this stage any dampness in the smell should have gone, and, smell will be sweet, the cob will feel dry

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks @Tangwena, that's ahm ... comforting ;)
I squeezed it again and some juice collected at the top of the cob. A bit of paper towel should absorb that I guess. Its getting smaller still. Smell ist still flowery.
Do you people think I can leave it like that for a month or should I get it out again for a second dry after some days? (It's my first try ever)

View attachment 18909414
If juice collected I would try the correct way as others do here. Its still too wet and has no way of drying.
I have no experience doing it that way but you never know until you try.

ProfessorLefty

Thanx - I was going to ask about the sealing - so they are all vacpacked for storage. I forgot to mention that they smell sort of like a woody, fruity, flowery scent. They are also a bit lighter in colour than the pic shows.
Do you think that the 65% humidity is in line??? Or should they dry a bit further??? I will probably be checking on them on a weekly basis or evenmore often if necessary.
Man, my poor old 72 year old brain struggles to remember all these details!!!!:unsure:
65% should be okay, I jarred some loose flower the same time I cobbed at 70% in June, no mold after 4 months (still around 68% RH in the jar)