What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
It me
Yo @Tangwena , sorry, what does "kip" mean? Enquiring minds -mine- want to know! :), Whatever it means, those are some great looking results you have there brother. Woohoo, looking sweet! Love the photos!!
It means have nap or sleep that you hadn't planned on having ha ha.
Every day is precious to me I cant be wasting them asleep ha ha.
The AG was indeed mild so I chewed on a little Mulanje and now stuffs nicely energetic and loose ha ha.

Buzzzzd

No its best to err on the dry side too wet is the problem child.
:thank you:
It is all these little details that seem to trip me up!!! I want to get this right because I will be doing more cobbs today - harvest is ramping up fast. Everything seems a bit early this year.
a very clear high followed by a kip
Now I'm worried that I might get a "kip" - whatever the hell that is!!!! CDNINCA is right - Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!:unsure:

gumzgi

these bags really slim , 4 days dried bud,i vaccumed everything
IMG_20231006_182341.jpg
IMG_20231006_184824.jpg

one bag il heat just for some hours and i leave it like that for some days , the other cob il let sit in the 26c no heat il open only when i see color changes

CDNINCA

Thanks @Hombre del mont for inspiring me so frequently! In this case - Cob Tool 2.0

UEL x Nepali
View attachment 18900567

SBR x UEL

View attachment 18900566

Cob season has just begun View attachment 18900568

………….
UEL x Indian Landrace
View attachment 18900570

View attachment 18900571
Nice looking tool, nice looking chunky cobs..., but even better looking plant! She's a tall girl too! Nicely done!
I might need to upgrade my "pvc pipe/ wooden dowel that just fits inside/ large bar clamp" system that I used last. It looks pretty lowbrow compared to yours but it works! :)

Did you make yours?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@Calle Minogue , I love the tube!, and it's resulting product!
Congratulations on giving it a go.

I like to slightly squash my vacuumed cylinders once they've fermented. Whilst they are still in that bag and under a vacuum, I stand on the bag several times to squash it in to shape.
It doesn't do anything to the process, but does give a nice shape to the finished cob.

@CDNINCA , you have a piece of dowel that fits the tube!, that's luxury mate!😂
I have a wooden spoon handle that I use to compress my tube. My tube was a gift from brother @revegeta666 and I thought that I was living the dream.😂

¿Perhaps some enterprising young chap can design and produce (cheaply, for us poor folk) a device that can be marketed for the modern day cob enthusiast? 🙂

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Sounds so plausible to me. I will follow :)

The UEL x Nepali cob was a bit more wet. I am tending to do just 20h of sweat. Let’s see. I love the intuition on the whole process. View attachment 18900715
I think with 20hrs it'll end up being quite dark, especially if it was a little wet going into the ferment.
Personally, I'd be tempted to stop the sweat/ferment as soon as I saw a slight colour change, dry it and then reseal for curing at a slightly lower temperature.

I haveboth light and dark cobs from most of last year's plants. I prefer the light coloured, more terpy ones for daily use. The darker ones are more introspective in their effects.

But as you say, it's a very intuitive process and it's almost impossible to mess it up.

Buzzzzd

But as you say, it's a very intuitive process and it's almost impossible to mess it up.
You have met me, right??? :dunno:
The UEL x Nepali cob was a bit more wet. I am tending to do just 20h of sweat. Let’s see. I love the intuition on the whole process.
Hey calle - How did you arrive at the 20% ??? I have been putting my cobs or cobs material in a jar with the hydrometer and wait. I don't think the cheapo moisture meter is doing the job.

Last edited:

ProfessorLefty

@Calle Minogue , I love the tube!, and it's resulting product!
Congratulations on giving it a go.

I like to slightly squash my vacuumed cylinders once they've fermented. Whilst they are still in that bag and under a vacuum, I stand on the bag several times to squash it in to shape.
It doesn't do anything to the process, but does give a nice shape to the finished cob.

@CDNINCA , you have a piece of dowel that fits the tube!, that's luxury mate!😂
I have a wooden spoon handle that I use to compress my tube. My tube was a gift from brother @revegeta666 and I thought that I was living the dream.😂

¿Perhaps some enterprising young chap can design and produce (cheaply, for us poor folk) a device that can be marketed for the modern day cob enthusiast? 🙂
I’m becoming a fan of a handheld pasta extruder for pressing cobs—makes a nice compact puck:

1696695892228.png

Buzzzzd

I’m becoming a fan of a handheld pasta extruder for pressing cobs
Actually, I wonder how those strands would sweat?????? Hard to shrink wrap maybe.
I used up all my molds today and had to resort to cleaning up a 3/4" chunk of pipe and squeezed out a couple more cobs and shrunk wrapped them. I think I have 6 or 7 in the sweatbox now and two sitting in cure on my satellite receiver. I may have to re calibrate the sweat box to 30 to accommodate the cure on all these next ones. Harvest is in full swing now. I also decarbed a bunch as well and still have 3 1/2 plants to go. I think this year I will be saving much less as cured buds as I don't smoke or vape nearly as much I turn into cococanna oil or cobs so there is little sense in all the burping and storage etc.
I'm interested to see if there is any difference in cobs sweated in the wood molds versus shrunk wrapped in plastic.

Tangwena

Veteran
Personally, I'd be tempted to stop the sweat/ferment as soon as I saw a slight colour change, dry it and then reseal for curing at a slightly lower temperature.
Me to I am using less sweating and drier buds with a longer cure and they still turn out good and also very terpy and nice colors.
I'm getting into some cobs that are at least a year old but were done in that way and they are very trippy and euphoric made from Mulanje and Malawi Gold.
I am starting a grow of those same plants now and they will all be cured that way and then aged 12 months.
Its just up to your own individual taste. Thats what makes it so rewarding unique flavors and effects.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB

On my UEL x Nepali cob. 38-40c

Unfortunately I red your answer just in this moment :ROFLMAO: Ist it dark or not ? Same Cob different light.. IMG_3577.jpeg IMG_3576.jpeg
it was spongy and sweet, resealed after 3 hours at 66%
In this process I use just the temp as a measurement. The humidity doesn’t matter because the cobs are vacuum sealed. Seems like my food dryer works well ;)

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
On my UEL x Nepali cob. 38-40c

Unfortunately I red your answer just in this moment :ROFLMAO: Ist it dark or not ? Same Cob different light.. View attachment 18901022 View attachment 18901023
it was spongy and sweet, resealed after 3 hours at 66%

In this process I use just the temp as a measurement. The humidity doesn’t matter because the cobs are vacuum sealed. Seems like my food dryer works well ;)
That looks like a good colour change.

When you resealed it, was surface dry to the touch? If so, then all is good. If not, then you may want to open it in a few days time and let it dry further before resealing and letting it cure slowly at a lower temperature. 🙂