What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ost

Amen to that Tangwena! And..., the lousy "brick weed" that I saw back in the day was always oxidized (brown at best), full of stems and seeds, and was anything but the primo buds we use. It was all that we had at the time, or at least it was easiest to come by, so no complaints here but if you offered me some of that today I'd politely refuse. My memories of it are that it was not that great.

You didn't miss much by not having tried it brother!

Cheers!
no kidding on that front,ever sit around a tea pot on the stove, steaming a key and not rush to keep from turning the whole thing to powder?brick weed memories!

CDNINCA

Hey all,

Please forgive the post that's not specifically cobbing related, but it is sort of?

I was out in the garden today - yes, I visit it multiple times a day to catch the good smells and see how things are doing (anyone else do this? :)). Anyway, I just had to share a couple of photos of "future cobs"! It's hard to choose the best photos to share... but here are a few.
I"m fortunate enough to live where it's legal to grow a few plants (Northern California), and have enough room so that my neighbors won't see them if I let them grow "naturally" (aka tall), I know I'm very fortunate in this regard. I have had to "pinch" one plant at least three times and it's still 2.5 meters tall or 8 feet. It would have grown to 3.5 meters easily and might have been visible!? Who am I kidding, they may not be able to see the plants but they sure can smell them! Nice problem to have. This technique is simple and not as challenging as @Hombre del mont situation, but what he does is amazing!
I do have one plant that's near a fence that I want to keep it below, so I'm bending the branches down to a few wooden stakes- channelling brother Hombre! It sure seems to work just fine!

Lastly, @Tangwena , does anything look familiar?
Cheers all.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 47

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hey all,

Please forgive the post that's not specifically cobbing related, but it is sort of?

I was out in the garden today - yes, I visit it multiple times a day to catch the good smells and see how things are doing (anyone else do this? :)). Anyway, I just had to share a couple of photos of "future cobs"! It's hard to choose the best photos to share... but here are a few.
I"m fortunate enough to live where it's legal to grow a few plants (Northern California), and have enough room so that my neighbors won't see them if I let them grow "naturally" (aka tall), I know I'm very fortunate in this regard. I have had to "pinch" one plant at least three times and it's still 2.5 meters tall or 8 feet. It would have grown to 3.5 meters easily and might have been visible!? Who am I kidding, they may not be able to see the plants but they sure can smell them! Nice problem to have. This technique is simple and not as challenging as @Hombre del mont situation, but what he does is amazing!
I do have one plant that's near a fence that I want to keep it below, so I'm bending the branches down to a few wooden stakes- channelling brother Hombre! It sure seems to work just fine!

Cheers all.
Just like you, I visit the plants several times a day!, I love just looking at them.

Thank you for the kind words brother. 🙂

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey all,

Cheers all.
Your doing great work brother that last pic of the buds forming is outstanding they are going to fill out something crazy from the looks of them nice, very nice plants.

IMG_2104.JPG

Just wish they would legalize it over here they keep talking about it but talk is cheap hey?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
We're so high today!

Zamal x Tom Hill haze,
IMG_20230921_150942.jpg
from last November's harvest.

IMG_20230921_150952.jpg

The smell is amazing. This is one of the one's that I can't stop sniffing! (But thinking about it, I have the same thing with all the cobs, even the dark ones.😂).
Chocolate with petrol and very sweet.

Mrs DM is currently whizzing around our house cleaning and thoroughly enjoying herself, but I'm off for a siesta (space out😂 ).

CDNINCA

Your doing great work brother that last pic of the buds forming is outstanding they are going to fill out something crazy from the looks of them nice, very nice plants.

View attachment 18893258

Just wish they would legalize it over here they keep talking about it but talk is cheap hey?
Thanks @Tangwena, this is so fun to do. I love growing all plants but these are special! Cheers brother!

BumSplodgeBrownPants

We're so high today!

Zamal x Tom Hill haze, View attachment 18893301 from last November's harvest.

View attachment 18893302

The smell is amazing. This is one of the one's that I can't stop sniffing! (But thinking about it, I have the same thing with all the cobs, even the dark ones.😂).

Mrs DM is currently whizzing around our house cleaning and thoroughly enjoying herself, but I'm off for a siesta (space out😂 ).

Hi Hombre,

Are your cobs easy to break up? See, I noticed you mentioned in an earlier post about not putting the buds in too wet and drying them as normal... I always put mine in after a day or two hanging and the cobs all come together as one solid block, yours look like they are still all individual parts.

Is the dry vs wet the difference?

I like cobs but not the taste, so I smoke them and if they came out like yours look, I think I could save a few wrist sprains trying to get through them with a 2 part grinder. :biglaugh:

Anyway, fantastic looking cobs dude! I've a couple of NepJam crosses just come down thanks to a mite infestation, so I may cob all the lowers on them. I wonder if the added mites in the mix will make them stronger??? 😂

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Hombre,

Are your cobs easy to break up? See, I noticed you mentioned in an earlier post about not putting the buds in too wet and drying them as normal... I always put mine in after a day or two hanging and the cobs all come together as one solid block, yours look like they are still all individual parts.

Is the dry vs wet the difference?

I like cobs but not the taste, so I smoke them and if they came out like yours look, I think I could save a few wrist sprains trying to get through them with a 2 part grinder. :biglaugh:

Anyway, fantastic looking cobs dude! I've a couple of NepJam crosses just come down thanks to a mite infestation, so I may cob all the lowers on them. I wonder if the added mites in the mix will make them stronger??? 😂
@BumSplodgeBrownPants (curious name; I hope it doesn't refer back to an accident😂),
Thank you for your kind words brother.

They small piece in the photo weighs abbot 17g, so they're fairly compact but it does crush up in a grinder ok. You can't actually take out actual parts as such, but it does break into slices.

The darker cobs don't tend to taste so good IMO, but the lighter coloured one's are very tasty and actually taste like they smell to some extent.

Last edited:

BumSplodgeBrownPants

@BumSplodgeBrownPants (curious name; I hope it doesn't refer back to an accident😂),
Thank you for your kind words brother.

They small piece in the photo weighs abbot 17g, so they're fairly compact but it does crush up in a grinder ok. You can't actually take out aerial parts as such, but it does break into slices.

The darker cobs don't tend to taste so good IMO, but the lighter coloured one's are very tasty and actually taste like they smell to some extent.
The older you get, the more accidents you have! :whee:

I'll give this lot a good dry at 65-70%RH for a week and then take off the lowers and cob them to try. I'll try and aim to keep their good looks too!

Thanks!

Tangwena

Veteran
We're so high today!

Zamal x Tom Hill haze, View attachment 18893301 from last November's harvest.

View attachment 18893302

Masterful work brother thats what a good cob should look like.
Now I have to find time to grow another strain ha ha. So many plants to fall in love with thats another one.

Buzzzzd

Well, I guess I am on track. My new moisture meter says they are between 12 - 18% - I hope this is a good thing. Opinions??
DSC05872.JPG

DSC05874.JPG

DSC05876.JPG

Oddly, the grams and moisture are the same!! These guys are 1" in dia. and approx 2" long. No sign of anymore mold. I don't have a good description of the smell but it's better than my socks....

Tangwena

Veteran
Well, I guess I am on track. My new moisture meter says they are between 12 - 18% - I hope this is a good thing. Opinions?? View attachment 18893849
View attachment 18893850
View attachment 18893851
Oddly, the grams and moisture are the same!! These guys are 1" in dia. and approx 2" long. No sign of anymore mold. I don't have a good description of the smell but it's better than my socks....
Looking good my friend I would seal them up for 3 to 6 months to age now.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

ProfessorLefty

Well, I guess I am on track. My new moisture meter says they are between 12 - 18% - I hope this is a good thing. Opinions?? View attachment 18893849
View attachment 18893850
View attachment 18893851
Here’s the original article by Ed Rosenthal with moisture levels he recommends:

https://cannabisnow.com/testing-moisture-content-marijuana/amp/

In my tests though, I’m seeing much higher moisture levels for cobs, around 30% when cobbing up and around 20% after 3 months (no mold 🤷🏻‍♀️)

Buzzzzd

In my tests though, I’m seeing much higher moisture levels for cobs, around 30% when cobbing up and around 20% after 3 months (no mold 🤷🏻‍♀️)
Thanx - now that I have this gizmo I will do readings from the start when I get to make more cobs. I'm about a month from harvest (if all goes well) and I'm hoping to have all my ducks in a row....or at least my buds in a buckle!!! :ROFLMAO: :dunno:

ost

Thanx - now that I have this gizmo I will do readings from the start when I get to make more cobs. I'm about a month from harvest (if all goes well) and I'm hoping to have all my ducks in a row....or at least my buds in a buckle!!! :ROFLMAO: :dunno:
time to start fillin solos for who is next to sprout!the moisture meter gives me more info than my old skull can keep up with i write weight and moisture on the vac bag, it's working so far NO mold!i have ten cobs at this time starting with 4/22/23@4.3 grams to the lost limb@roughly 78 grams

Latest posts

Latest posts