What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

OttoPankrock

IMG_20230914_182733.jpg
IMG_20230914_191224.jpg
First try

ost

Nice collection man it doesn't take too long to build on cobs seem to last forever.
i've never used a meter but I would guess 25% but its only a wild guess.
@Tangwena ,i just started 1 cob at 87 grams , no choice broken limb tryin to die . choped it off has a good covering of tricomes they are all clear so rather than waist it i cobbed the whole thing ,after 24 hr sweat it took 30 hours ( only lost 14 grams in the first dry cycle)to dry to the the point i would vac seal it agin.watch this thing close i don't want it to sour!i will dry it agin as needed. i have a moisture meter on the way ,already had a temp gun!

Last edited:

ost

I used this one...

View attachment 18887566

It's a cross of mine, Blues x Pine Tar Gush.

That grow I had to chop and get dry ASAP thanks to a neighbour issue (and a bit of paranoia on my part). I hunted for a solution and discovered this thread.
So I hung for 2 days and managed to cob the lot in a morning.

I've been curing a plant or two here and there ever since.

View attachment 18887571 View attachment 18887572 View attachment 18887573

I've not really got into the chewing of it, I do prefer a tincture in overproof rum under the tongue for them kind of hits, but I'll give it a go again soon.
i used moonshine (for the tincture) that wasn't tempered, then after 3 days i cut it with whiskey took more than i thought it would to calm it down ,to where it didn't try to take the hide off my tongue!

Tangwena

Veteran
NH x C5 Mango by Wallyduck

Now aging/curing for 6 months.
Had a smoke test last week.
Very smooth and bowl lasted forever. Seems to burn much longer.
Enjoyable high, touch more intense than normal cured bud.

View attachment 18890958
Yeah once its aged the pin joints burn forever ha ha.
I had some of Wally's cobs gifted to me a while back.
His Cambodian or Laos cobs he made turned yellow golden quite stunning.
I got Zamal not perfectly cured being a first try but it put the rocket up the ass of some friends who smoked some ha ha.
Yours look tasty I hope they smell as good as they look.

ProfessorLefty

Well SHIT !!!! Opened up my cobb and found this!!! Sweated about 30 hours and cured for 7 days....
View attachment 18889263
Whitish on the left and gray blue on the right - is there any salvage or is it compost - wipe down with peroxide??
This is very disheartening.
Not sure what the results will be with this much mold, but for just a little bit, I’ve had some success drying down the cob and adding a little splash of grain alcohol before resealing—definitely killed the mold, but I’m not sure how it affected the cure (yet)

ProfessorLefty

My starter cob collection.

View attachment 18889830

I have no idea what moisture level is best.
View attachment 18889831
I’ve been tracking my latest batch of cobs with a wood moisture meter—I found that surface moisture around 26-30% (measured using the softwood setting) works pretty well for curing (no mold after 3 months anyway)

Also discovered that the meter reads much higher if you jab the probes in too far—I’ve been just firmly pressing them against the surface.

Edit: This is interesting—took my last moisture readings about 6 weeks ago (~26% moisture); just took them again, and found they’re all down to around 20%—must’ve lost a couple g of moisture just sitting there all sealed up 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

CDNINCA

Here’s the latest cob check (RQS Dance World, a little under 3 months old)

Got that classic 1980’s Mexican brick weed in a 35mm film canister fragrance, lol:

View attachment 18891120
I like the form factor there @ProfessorLefty, kind of reminds me of a hockey puck! I might need to mix things up a little here this harvest and try some other shapes! Love the colors, looks like a winner, cheers!