What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

0x942

Hi everyone on this thread, just wanted to share a pic of this COB,:joint::greenstars::smokeit:
Thanks for all valuable information available there !

COB-z2.jpg

Attachments

• COB-z2.jpg
    COB-z2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 29

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi everyone on this thread, just wanted to share a pic of this COB,:joint::greenstars::smokeit:
Thanks for all valuable information available there !

Looks really nice from the pic makes me feel like shaving off a slice and chewing it for my breakfast ha ha.
I had some nice year old Mulanje cob yesterday felt like superman all day best high ever in my book.

0x942

Looks really nice from the pic makes me feel like shaving off a slice and chewing it for my breakfast ha ha.
I had some nice year old Mulanje cob yesterday felt like superman all day best high ever in my book.

Thanks !

Damn, best high ever in your book ? Better that Golden Tiger ? Awesome !

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks !

Damn, best high ever in your book ? Better that Golden Tiger ? Awesome !

Yes def but thats not to say GT isn't good I love it and will always grow it.
Its just the effects of Mulanje are so different to me at least it makes me feel so in control but in control of a freak show thats out of control if you know what I mean.
For instance looking at a friends face and both bursting into laughter and unable to stop, just looking at each other is enough to set you off.
I could get arrested and it would be the funniest day of my life.

Occiput

I made two 1oz. cobs with some hindu kush buds that were too dry, even slightly drier than I wanted to put in jars to cure. I sweated them for 24 and 20 hours at 40C. I only sweated them for so long because the buds were dry and there was no visible moisture on either vac bag at any point during the sweat. They've been sitting at 33C for 12 days now.

There has been some slight color change, and one is darker than the other. They also both have some spots with more pronounced changes, and spots that glisten under light.

When I smell them up close, the lighter one smells like mango, apple, and spices, and the darker one smells very sweet and beery. They're both slightly tacky, but dry to the touch.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do from here? I'm thinking of dropping the temp to 28C and letting them age as is, but maybe they should be fermented more, or dried out more to age? I know things take longer with drier buds, and I'm not entirely sure where I'm at in the process compared to where a more moist cob would be at this point.

Here are pics of one at days 7 and 12. It's hard to capture what they really look like.
Cob Day 7.jpg
Cob Day 13.jpg

Attachments

• Cob Day 7.jpg
    Cob Day 7.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Cob Day 13.jpg
    Cob Day 13.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47

Tangwena

Veteran
I made two 1oz. cobs with some hindu kush buds that were too dry, even slightly drier than I wanted to put in jars to cure. I sweated them for 24 and 20 hours at 40C. I only sweated them for so long because the buds were dry and there was no visible moisture on either vac bag at any point during the sweat. They've been sitting at 33C for 12 days now.

There has been some slight color change, and one is darker than the other. They also both have some spots with more pronounced changes, and spots that glisten under light.

When I smell them up close, the lighter one smells like mango, apple, and spices, and the darker one smells very sweet and beery. They're both slightly tacky, but dry to the touch.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do from here? I'm thinking of dropping the temp to 28C and letting them age as is, but maybe they should be fermented more, or dried out more to age? I know things take longer with drier buds, and I'm not entirely sure where I'm at in the process compared to where a more moist cob would be at this point.

Here are pics of one at days 7 and 12. It's hard to capture what they really look like.

Hi my friend they seem to have amalgamated alright, if as you say they were too dry and didn't sweat.
I would vacuum seal them and store them for at least 3 months in a warm place if they are going to change it will take much longer than usual due to being so dry.
I wouldn't recommend moistening them although some have claimed success doing that.
Just stash them away to age is my best advice.

Occiput

Hi my friend they seem to have amalgamated alright, if as you say they were too dry and didn't sweat.
I would vacuum seal them and store them for at least 3 months in a warm place if they are going to change it will take much longer than usual due to being so dry.
I wouldn't recommend moistening them although some have claimed success doing that.
Just stash them away to age is my best advice.

Thanks for the advice Tangwena. There is definitely some activity taking place with the cobs, just slowly, like you're saying. Based on what I've read, a "warm place" is somewhere around 25-30C?

I recently made a few cobs with slightly less dry maui waui, and they're noticeably different from the first ones. I still think they're drier than ideal, though, because they didn't really sweat after 12 and 24 hours. I used buds that were not quite yet breaking off of branches, dried about 7 days at 18-20C and 60% humidity. I thought that's around the dryness I'd seen recommended in this thread, but should I be cobbing them wetter than that?

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks for the advice Tangwena. There is definitely some activity taking place with the cobs, just slowly, like you're saying. Based on what I've read, a "warm place" is somewhere around 25-30C?

I recently made a few cobs with slightly less dry maui waui, and they're noticeably different from the first ones. I still think they're drier than ideal, though, because they didn't really sweat after 12 and 24 hours. I used buds that were not quite yet breaking off of branches, dried about 7 days at 18-20C and 60% humidity. I thought that's around the dryness I'd seen recommended in this thread, but should I be cobbing them wetter than that?

A lot depends on the RH in your drying room or area.
Where I am its so low that buds can dry in 48rs sometimes. its a fine line between too dry and too wet.
I always say if you can roll a joint with the bud and smoke it without having to constantly re light it its too dry.

But as long as there is some residual moisture no matter how small it will cure eventually but can take 3 to 6 months.
If you get the moisture levels right it should sweat easily and need to be dried of access moisture in the bag within 24 hrs.
It might sound hard but once you get the feel for how dry they should be its a piece of cake.
Then you can start playing with temps and time ect to get differing styles of cure.

Because different buds retain moisture longer than others its very much a touch and feel type of cure but practice makes perfect and it is very hard to destroy the buds if you watch the color changes and open and sniff the bags regularly your nose is your best tool after your eyes.

Taima-da

I don't sweat the sweat too much. If you don't see droplets it's ok-
Usually you can tell that the process has started by smell, and that will be enough, given time.
in my area a warm place usually means room temp in the shade, even if made in winter once sweated they will do their thing eventually after the initial sweat to kick off activity its just a matter of time.

​​​​​​

Taima-da

A couple of chunky ones coming up to nine months. Both Ace green haze X Malawi.
The darker one a little more Malawi leaning I think, with big chunky ovaries and a slightly higher initial moisture content.
​​​​​​​The lighter one never produced visible sweat but some bloom is evident and they are both 🔥

Attachments

• photo2113115.jpg
    photo2113115.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 50

Tangwena

Veteran
A couple of chunky ones coming up to nine months. Both Ace green haze X Malawi.
The darker one a little more Malawi leaning I think, with big chunky ovaries and a slightly higher initial moisture content.
​​​​​​​The lighter one never produced visible sweat but some bloom is evident and they are both 🔥

Beautiful work man the darker one looks like primo polm hash nice cure on both.
The strain is perfect nice and strong to begin with now it would be very special thats what I call cured brother.

Taima-da

Thanks T.
Cob cured sativas are the way to go.
Certainly works for me, the only thing better is to have a little variety of cobbed material.

My mate from Aceh told me that selection there is done for best eating, funny I've heard the same in Thailand too.
Both places ferment cure their crazy sativas as well as eat them, though I was told in Aceh it is used to tenderise the meat and is consumed by man woman and child.

thanks again for this thread.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks T.
Cob cured sativas are the way to go.
Certainly works for me, the only thing better is to have a little variety of cobbed material.

My mate from Aceh told me that selection there is done for best eating, funny I've heard the same in Thailand too.
Both places ferment cure their crazy sativas as well as eat them, though I was told in Aceh it is used to tenderise the meat and is consumed by man woman and child.

thanks again for this thread.

Thats very interesting man I used to hear the old guys say the same thing in Africa but at the time I was a smoker so didn't put much store in it.
BUT NOW being an old timer and non smoker myself I LOVE it ha ha.
We can all learn from old pot traditions thats for sure.

Occiput

Thanks Tangwena and Taima-da, I'll keep them warm for a few months and see what happens. I'll also cob the buds up earlier in the drying process next time.

Cactus Squatter

Honduras X Panama fem from ACE seeds. Indoor grown, organic soil, cob cured and oh so tasty smelling. This particular one crumbles up really easy from the cob while some others are much firmer stuck together and stranded feeling.

Aroma is strong Lemon cleaner, fermented cob, and some sweetness on the backend almost like frosting or something.

Smoked:
Taste is very old school weed tasting. I don’t get the lemon I can smell, but I get a sweet weed taste.
Inhale is extremely smooth. Very expansive in the lungs but not uncomfortably so.
I have this Hon x Pan in both standard jar cured and Cobbed. Potency feels the same, but some of the qualities are way more enhanced with the cob. More relaxing but not in a tiring way and it seems to hit a little harder initially. It’s definitely more floaty feeling cobbed up as well.

Eaten:
Bean sized pieces chewed up and sucked on for as long as I can bother having stuff in my mouth.
Tastes like weed, some slightly lemon and a definite fermented note to it. Not bad in anyway. When I eat cob I do so first thing in the morning and I don’t smoke afterwards. At least I try not to. 😂
From eating it I just get an overall really good feeling. Not like being baked, not trippy either. Just feeling really freaking good. It’s mild for me due to my smoking tolerance levels, but it’s extremely pleasant and very useful for getting through days where I need to be around people. If I eat a little bit more I start to get a rolling feeling like I’m standing on little waves of euphoria, just feeling the swell. I haven’t pushed it to a big piece to see what happens.
6F3474B8-9224-4728-8132-DC840ADE03B8.jpeg
242BDE2F-6BD0-46E3-98CF-0EB5689BACD3.jpeg

Tangwena

Veteran
Very good description brother sounds like a nice cure.
I agree def the smokers tolerance that effects the chewed high. I have not smoked for about 10 years now and the effects are way more all encompassing.
But it is mostly used for the smooth sweet tasting smoke and that is where most people find the benefit of less coughing.

Also the high smoked is very different to the high chewed its like two different drugs in my opinion and I have grown to like the chewed high much more than I ever enjoyed the smoked high.
But thats just me everyone has different tastes and needs as long as you are enjoying it thats what matters isn't it?